Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Rooming for College

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:24 PM #1 of 24
Rooming for College

What do you guys think is the most optimal of choices when it comes down to rooming during the college years?

The way I see it, there are three main options for a college student to consider when choosing how they'll live:
  • Live with parents
  • Live in a dorm
  • Live in an apartment

I figure the first option would be one of the easiest financially. The student is free to live with their parents without stressing over bills like rent and utilities. This gives the student the ability to have more free time, without needing to work too much since they wouldn't have too much to pay for. The downside is that the student is limited as to which school they could attend, since their parents sure as hell wouldn't move 500 miles for the student to attend some fancy institution. Another downside is, of course, the fact that you still live with your parents. After all, weren't you supposed to enter the real world after you got that nifty diploma thing at the end of high school?

Living in a dorm is a mixed bag, however. If the student pays for it through student loans, they'll still have to worry about the bill later on. Also, living on campus can be pretty expensive unless you have a generous amount of scholorships to front the Cafe's food bill. And don't forget the high cost of living in a dorm: typically $2000-$3000 a semester to live with three other guys in a tiny little apartment. The plus side is, of course, the fact that you don't have to work so hard while you're in school to live on campus. Since you paid for them like you did with your tuition, it was more than likely put on a low-interest student loan.
You might also make new friends, or meet new assholes, depending on who you get to room with.

Living in an apartment is probably the most "free" of all the choices. The student gets to live in their own place, without anyone besides neighbors to bother them. Of course it'd be easier to have an apartment with a roommate to help split the bill. Either way, the main problem with this scenario is the fact that the student has to put in a good amount of hours at work to pay the bills, buy food, buy clothes, and all of that good stuff. At least the government tries to ease the pressure by granting students who live on their own special grants (i.e. Pell Grant) and the like.
Another problem with living in an apartment is that the student can easily ruin their credit. If they get short on cash and need to eat, they'll buy groceries on their Discover Card. Sooner or later that bill will show up and they'll be hit with a nice 20% APR on their Chef Boyardee and Maruchan Ramen.

So with all of this in mind, what do you think is the best option when it comes down to it?
Would you live with your parents while you attend college?
Would you move into a dorm and potentially live with three assholes of the highest caliber?
Or would you rent an apartment and try to be as independent as you could?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
qtipk
Salad.

Member 3081

Level 2.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:48 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 06:48 PM #2 of 24
My college requires all freshmen to live on campus. Their reasons are "to help your college experience." I think it's for money, but whatever.

I signed up kinda late and got stuck in a four person room, and when I heard the news I was upset. After I lived there a few weeks, however, I really began to like it. My roommates turned out to be really cool, but I guess that is a gamble. My dorm is close to all the halls and the student union (pizza!). Also, my floor is one where people get drunk starting wednesday and stuff, so there's never a lack of entertainment. If I need to study I can just go to the library. I've already signed up for the dorms for next year.

I can't say what the other options would be like, but I can't imagine that they'd have the social impact the dorms have. I don't venture out so much, so the dorms provide roughly 89% of my social life. I think I'd be bored anywhere else.

And besides, who wants to live with their parents?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 09:01 PM #3 of 24
I would actually advise you to live in the dorms for your first term at school, and if need be, your whole freshman year. The reason why I say this is because you already have a system that can sort of play "matchmaker" with you and your future peers. This makes things easier for you in the long run because then you are forced into situations where you have to meet other people, and usually the first ones are those who are similar to you. Then, if you are fortunate enough, and you find a group of friends in your first term, take a look at housing in the area.
I would advise about 5 or 6 people living in a place, if possible.
Look for not only apartments in the area of school, but also check out houses that are available for rent. This, I feel, is the most economical method of living at school.
A good plan to have is to share the food bill with everyone else in the house; split it evenly. Additionally, because of this, when you go shopping, bring a couple of your housemates along so that you can keep each other accountable for what you would spend. This can save you lots of money on impulsive purchases.

Anywho, I say go for option D: Living with several people in a house off campus.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:02 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 07:02 PM #4 of 24
I chose the dorms myself because I really don't have an option. My college does require freshmen to live on campus. Though I went a different route and got a single dorm. I wouldn't want to risk getting a dick for a roommate, and I'm a very organized and clean person. More than likely, I'd get stuck with someone who is less than organized, and it would bother me to no end. But it is pricey, about $1000 a year more for a single dorm.

Though for my sophmore year, my brother and I are just gonna rent an apartment, seeing how I won't be required to live on campus.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:23 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 06:23 PM #5 of 24
A-P-A-R-T-M-E-N-T

I'm a sophomore in college right now and I am in the dorms. I was supposed to get a dorm-suite with 2 other friends from last year but they got housing suspension because of drinking JRs. I was then placed into the random housing lottery and got stuck with a complete loser as a roommate that's as annoying as he is lame. Honestly, I can't stand sharing a room with people. Last year wasn't that bad because my roommate was cool and my hallmates were all awesome, but those are rare cases and you might get stuck with crappy people around you (like my situation this year).

Apartments are awesome because you get your own room, bathroom, living room, and you have a kitchen and a laundry room (depends on your apartment complexes of course). The only downside I see with apartments are the parties that can be a little loud, a little further from classes, and you lose the convenience of dining halls. I think it's a pretty good trade-off though since you'll have a bigger space to live in and have your own space. I honestly cannot stand sharing a room. Especially with an idiot.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you choose a housing situation that you like.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:41 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 05:41 PM #6 of 24
I've talked to some people who've been through college and they say that if you are going to a college in an area that you are not familiar with living in a dorm for your first year is almost a must. Firstly living in a dorm will give you the chance to meet new people at your college and build up connections and acquaintences. Secondly seeing as you've just arrived in the area you're probably not familiar with the area and its pricings, so unless you've already throughly scouted the area then chances are walking blindly into a new apartment may not be the best idea financially. So living in a dorm kind of gives you a base to venture out and explore the area from to find apartments and job oppurtunities. I am heading out to college next year and I'm going to wind up in a new area that I've never really been in, so I'm going to apply for a dorm. I just hope I don't get cooped up with complete assholes.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 06:11 PM #7 of 24
I say dorming is best for freshmen. You need to experience what it's like to move out of your parents' house and fend for yourself. Also, by dorming, you'll most likely have a better social life and make new friends easier. Then when you're a sophomore, move out of the dorms to an apartment, since dorms are literally hell holes.

When you're in your apartment your freshman year, you feel really isolated. I should know since that's how it was my freshmen year. Yes, dorms might have its inconveniences, but it's really best to meet new people and help you adjust to college life.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Trigunnerz; Mar 20, 2006 at 09:14 PM.
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:21 PM #8 of 24
I'd definatly recommend a dorm, unless you'd rather not socialize much. Dorms are perfect for meeting new people, there's ALWAYS a party going on somewhere in a dorm (sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing), but no matter how much you drink the night before, class is usually no more then a 20 minute walk away.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:27 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 07:27 PM #9 of 24
I think the dorm life is part of "the" college experience, so you should definitely invest a semester at least, unless you have some really large aversion to it. There's both good and bad to the dorm life, as previously mentioned, there's always something going on and it's probably the best way to make friends and socialize. Heck, I'm living with two of the people I met in my first year in the dorms. If it wasn't for the dorms, I would've never met them.

I lived in the dorms for two years, although at my college, one year is pretty standard. As much as I enjoyed the dorm life though, I knew after my second year, I needed to get out. I think it had more to do with the fact that school was actually getting to the point where I needed time to study and focus, which the dorm life makes difficult.

Plus, dorm costs are expensive here o_O. Moving to an apartment is a money move also.

It's a hard call to make, I think everyone has a different situation/want so you gotta take it case by case.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:32 PM #10 of 24
I'm a freshman right now and i don't mind living in a dorm one bit. Actually I'm planning on living in one again next year. You don't have to make your own food and its convenient. Plus I get along with my roomate real well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 07:11 PM #11 of 24
Originally Posted by xen0phobia
I'm a freshman right now and i don't mind living in a dorm one bit. Actually I'm planning on living in one again next year. You don't have to make your own food and its convenient. Plus I get along with my roomate real well.
Said the xenophobic.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:45 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 08:45 PM #12 of 24
Dorms are a neccesary part of the college experience. Everyone should live in them, if only for a quarter or two. After the first year though, I personally wanted out really bad, because I hated the restrictions (no firecrackers, no nerf guns, no alcohol, no members of the opposite sex at all.) My friend and I got an apartment, and it was Sweet. Before I graduate I might have to go back to the dorms for financial reasons, but it won't be too bad methinks. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
amhso
Carob Nut

Member 1725

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:55 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 08:55 PM #13 of 24
i think usually around a good UC campus is a lot of restaurants that have deals for students...and they also have like $150 and eat all you want for a week.

Anyways I think dorms would be most fun experience-wise. Meet new people, work with people. Along with sharing interests. My parents have told me that the friends they make in dorms they become friends for life. I look forward to making weird machines and having stuff blow up in college anyways...so the most practical place..would be either a lab or a dorm, hehe.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 08:37 PM #14 of 24
I usually ask people if they're willing to give up a bit of their privacy by living in the dorms. Of course, there's always that issue when living with parents or rooming with others in an apartment as well. A dorm is convenient because there's no need to worry about traffic and/or parking in the morning. My school has a terrible parking problem, and although I live in a condo five minutes away, I still have trouble.

Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:53 PM #15 of 24
My Dad's boss had a kid that went to COllege recently. Now seeing as how he is stinking rich and most people aren't, I wouldn't suggest this.

The Dad bought a house within close proximity of the school, he told the son that the house was his until he gets out of College. The only drawback is that he had to rent out the rooms to pay for his tuition and other needs. I thought this was a good idea.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Matt

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:36 AM #16 of 24
Originally Posted by qtipk
And besides, who wants to live with their parents?
Good question.
I suppose the student who is either too lazy to get their own place, or one who'd rather be buying junk instead of paying rent.

I notice a lot of people say that living in a dorm is their favorite option. I had the opportunity to stay at a dorm once and instead opted out, figuring that I'd have too much of a hard time living in a quasi-hotel with a community bathroom. Then again, that was some goofy private college that charged an arm and a leg for tuition anyway, and I didn't even go there.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:41 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 10:41 PM #17 of 24
I lived in the dorms for my first two years. While dorm's living conditions sucked ass, it was nevertheless fun and crazy. And I've made a ton of friends from living there. For my final two years (now), I am living in an apartment which is just a bit off-campus, but very closely accessible to campus (there's a shuttle coming about every 15 minutes). Living conditions are great, and getting around isn't too bad. I actually don't drive, so I mooch rides off people, which saves tons on gas money.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 12:46 AM #18 of 24
If they're around your area, I'd recommend a Co-Op/College House. They're usually large old houses or medium-sized apartment complexes that are cheaper than dorms (because they're owned by all the people living in them, hence "Co-Op"), yet are more free and bigger than dorms (Sometimes...) and still provide the social atmosphere of the dorm lifestyle. Actually, from what I've been told, more social: the only requirement in a co-op is you have to do your part to keep up the house. This would include cleaning, yardwork, cooking, etc. -- but it's only a few hours a week.

Of course, I know there are not always college houses in college towns. If there's not, then I guess an apartment is the best option. But wait until after your freshman year....my roommate and I wanted to move out, but we couldn't find a good place quick enough. Also, with the apartment deal you have to make sure that you make smart food choices in regards to shopping, or you'll end up eating out all the time (expensive) or spending too much on food in general. It's a bit trickier, but it can be cost-effective if you know what you're doing.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 06:41 PM #19 of 24
College Dorms

My youngest sister (18) is graduating high school soon, and she's all set to move away from home and into a college dorm in around August. She's going to live in Orlando, FL, which is over 3 hours away from where we live.

My parents are quite upset over this. They're the usual paranoid and overbearing type on all their kids (me included), but they're convinced that this is a bad idea. Not only will she be far away from home, but she just isn't responsible enough to live alone (well she gets a roomate). She can't cook and she can't clean. She also constantly lives to go out with her friends, to the point that she barely lives at home as it is.

The point is, I don't think she's ready, and neither do my parents. But despite constant protests and arguments, she is stubbornly set on doing this. And it has nothing to do with her major, she merely wants to live on her own and hang out with her friends 24/7. This has been the source of constant debating and arguing in my house, and it's driving me nuts, honestly.

But anyway, how many of you live in dorms, or know someone who does? What are the ups and downs of living in a dorm? Perhaps if she hears enough horror stories she'll change her mind (not likely), but if it isn't so bad perhaps it will help calm my parents nerves somewhat. Do share your experiences.

Most amazing jew boots
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 06:56 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 03:56 PM #20 of 24
I'll merge this with the other thread.

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/ge...g-college.html

Most amazing jew boots
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 07:07 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 02:07 AM #21 of 24
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
My parents are quite upset over this. They're the usual paranoid and overbearing type on all their kids (me included), but they're convinced that this is a bad idea. Not only will she be far away from home, but she just isn't responsible enough to live alone (well she gets a roomate). She can't cook and she can't clean.
If she's that spoiled, then I think she could only benefit from living in dorms and having to finally take some responsibility of her own. It's not a bad idea. Do you think she should live at home until she gets married and has children, or what?

Most amazing jew boots
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 07:12 PM #22 of 24
Sorry, didn't see the other thread.

Quote:
If she's that spoiled, then I think she could only benefit from living in dorms and having to finally take some responsibility of her own. It's not a bad idea. Do you think she should live at home until she gets married and has children, or what?
That's what I was thinking. I say let her try it out, and once she realizes how hard it is, she'll either cave in and go back home, or she'll fend for herself and ultimately become a better person out of it.

But that theory does little to ease my parents. They're simply terrified of the idea that she'll be far from home, driving around with her friends in uncharted territory. They basically don't think it's worth the risk, even if it's to teach her a lesson. But despite the constant protests (which just finished as I type this), things remain the same. I don't think they have any choice but to let her try it.

Even if she does pull it off, they're going to be sad to see her go. Same for me and my other sister. But I think the knowledge that she'll be okay will help give them peace of mind. Right now it's all about the uncertainty of her living on her own.

Matt

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 10:19 PM #23 of 24
Well...it shouldn't be too hard for her if she's got financial aid and/or scholorships.

I take it she's going to UCF?

FELIPE NO
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:21 AM #24 of 24
I live in a dorm and I'm planning to do it all 4 years of college basically. I don't know how any of your experiences have been, but its pretty fun. There are a lot of pretty cool guys on my floor.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Rooming for College