Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] PSP Discussion. Hay guys I just got one for Crisis Core, can u help me how 2 hax pls?

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2009, 09:46 PM #1476 of 1496
I actually like the new slick and room saving design. I don't know about everyone else, but any actualy copies of UMD's that I do own are scattered like fucking crazy since I don't keep track of smaller items. Its like browsing through mini-cassettes. They pretty much felt outdated the moment I got them.
And WTF is this about not supporting Sony Duo's. It's fucking Sony, you'd presume they'd support they're own fucking products and carry on what the original PSP could do. They better put Sony memory stick support on the damn thing or I'm ganna wait until they come out with PSP-GO 2000.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

New Record!
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 31, 2009, 02:09 AM Local time: May 31, 2009, 05:09 PM #1477 of 1496
The nub placement makes it looks like a hand cramp factory.

Ok really, no UMD drive? Am I the only one who likes to own a physical copy of games? Well as long as they release the cases like they did with Patapon 2 it wont be that bad, but still I prefer to own a physical copy of the games. I also like the older PSP models, the fat ones. The ones after that just feel way too damn light and cheap. And did the guy said a new Metal Gear game? Damn it, I was expecting it to be for the PS3 instead.
Originally Posted by internet
Koller said that the PSP Go is not replacing the PSP-3000 but that both units will live in harmony on retail shelves -- although he did say that Sony likes 10-year lifecycles so the PSP Go should have a bit longer life than the PSP-3000. Still, Koller said the company plans to continue to support both downloadable and retail-based games.
IGN: Pre-E3 2009: PSP Go Confirmed

UMDs won't be going anywhere for a while. Besides, shithouse Internet places like Australia will ensure they live on forevah. Sony already release most of their digital distribution games for PS3/PSP on disc down here because nobody wants to use up their monthly download limit on a single vidya game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2009, 02:36 AM #1478 of 1496
I actually like the new slick and room saving design. I don't know about everyone else, but any actualy copies of UMD's that I do own are scattered like fucking crazy since I don't keep track of smaller items. Its like browsing through mini-cassettes. They pretty much felt outdated the moment I got them.
And WTF is this about not supporting Sony Duo's. It's fucking Sony, you'd presume they'd support they're own fucking products and carry on what the original PSP could do. They better put Sony memory stick support on the damn thing or I'm ganna wait until they come out with PSP-GO 2000.
Pretty sure that has mostly to do with trying to fuck thing up for pirates more than anything. I mean, it'd make some fucking sense if they'd finally put a damn SD slot in there, but *no*, everyone has those, they might pirate games!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2009, 11:41 AM Local time: May 31, 2009, 09:41 AM #1479 of 1496
I'd still say that has something to do with how anal Sony is about their own products and fiercely protecting them, even if they go down in flames. They're still fixated on pushing its Memory Stick format. Introducing an SD slot is basically conceding that no one buys their stupid fucking memory cards.

FELIPE NO
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:16 AM #1480 of 1496
Hello. I am going to be buying a PSP this week, the first one I've owned. I looked around but can't seem to find any viable feedback on them or what I need to get with it. Most either fully support the system or they bash it because its a Sony product. What will I need to know before buying one? Is there anything that I need to purchase with it? How does the transfering movies/music to it to play (I believe this was an option...at least its advertised on the 3000 slim box).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:04 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2009, 04:04 PM 2 #1481 of 1496
You'll need to buy a Sony Memory Stick for all your game save files. All your Midway Arcade Treasures game save files.

All your Midway Arcade Treasures game save files such as Klax.

Finally,

Jam it back in, in the dark.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:09 AM #1482 of 1496
I'd still say that has something to do with how anal Sony is about their own products and fiercely protecting them, even if they go down in flames. They're still fixated on pushing its Memory Stick format. Introducing an SD slot is basically conceding that no one buys their stupid fucking memory cards.
While this does have something to do with it, since I hadn't even head of Memory Stick Micro before the PSP Go, I'd say most of it has to do with piracy. No user-replaceable battery, all peripherals are proprietary; they can build in all the walls they want. They're trying to make it that much harder for people to hack the thing, but unless they've done a lot of rewriting of components that I don't know about, the scene will probably prevail.

Hello. I am going to be buying a PSP this week, the first one I've owned. I looked around but can't seem to find any viable feedback on them or what I need to get with it. Most either fully support the system or they bash it because its a Sony product. What will I need to know before buying one? Is there anything that I need to purchase with it? How does the transfering movies/music to it to play (I believe this was an option...at least its advertised on the 3000 slim box).
Get one of the older mobos if you can, since they just got hacked (kinda).

I don't think they come with a Mini-B USB cord, so you'll need that or a card reader. Also a Memory Stick Duo, preferably a big one if you plan to use it for music and movies. Also get Patapon/Patapon 2. Just sayin'.

How ya doing, buddy?
khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:12 AM #1483 of 1496
Well I have a usb cord, it works with my ps3 controller and ps3...so I can just use that right? Will I need a card reader? Or can I get by without one?

You said older mobos...what did you mean by that?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2009, 01:24 AM #1484 of 1496
Well I have a usb cord, it works with my ps3 controller and ps3...so I can just use that right? Will I need a card reader? Or can I get by without one?

You said older mobos...what did you mean by that?
If you have a cord for your PS3 controller you're good. You don't need a card reader, they're just faster for transferring things in some cases.

Newer motherboards may not be compatible with some of the recent hacks, I'm not exactly sure though. Pretty much if the box is getting a bit dusty, it was probably manufactured earlier, so any revisions Sony may have made will be moot.

As it stands, I believe there is the possibility of a TA-090v3 motherboard being out there, but no one has confirmed. Up until a couple weeks ago, the TA-083v3 and (TA-090?) TA-090v2, issued in more recent PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 models respectively, were unhackable. But now theres a way to hack them to play homebrew and backups.

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:05 PM #1485 of 1496
Alright so I got my psp, I bought the Rockband Bundle the game isn't so bad and it came with a 4gb card. As I stated before I am pretty much retarded when it comes to this since I didnt really pay much mind to the PSP till recently.

What capabilities does it have? Searching around I found out that you can use emulators (NES and SNES) on it with certain roms? Apparently you need custom firmware for that to work. Anyone able to explain that to me?

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:48 PM #1486 of 1496
Knighthawk,

Considering that you bought the RB bundled PSP, chances are high that you have a PSP-3000 model and therefore, a newer motherboard that probably will not support true custom firmware.

Lucky for you, there is another method that might work involving the use of ChickHEN and a Custom Firmware Enabler, though I'm not sure about the PSP-3000. I know it works with the TA-083v3 motherboard and a PSP-2000. In any case, emulation will require that. Otherwise, there's not much else you can do.

If you're looking at the base uses for a PSP, there's not much that's not on the box: you play games, browse the internet, watch videos (UMDs or otherwise MP4 encoded AVI files), listen to music, or look at photos. That's about all the regular unhacked PSP will allow you to do. You can also check out the PSN and download more content from there.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:14 PM #1487 of 1496
Thanks for the info, I do have the 3000. I am not really too concerned about being able to emulate, it would of been nice but I can do that on my PC or laptop if need be.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sjaakie
Wark!

Member 33838

Level 2.86

Jun 2009

Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:19 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2009, 07:19 PM #1488 of 1496
Was thinking about buying a psp, I already got a ds and it got some good games on it but I would like some more rpgs. Psp is a bit high in price for me though.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2009, 01:50 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2009, 11:50 AM #1489 of 1496
I'm not sure about exact numbers of RPGs, but I do know the ratio of good/bad RPGs is much better on the DS. Too many Dragoneer's Arias, Dungeon Explorers and whatnot on the PSP.

The PSP has some good ones, though-- Crisis Core is... acceptable even if highly overrated, Brave Story is fun, the Legend of Heroes games are nice romps if you're okay with things that are exceedingly traditional. Phantasy Star Portable and Monster Hunter (which admittedly might be more action than RPG) are good for (tunneled) online play.

Not sure what you want us to say if you aren't willing to buy it for the current price, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:01 PM #1490 of 1496
ChickHEN and Custom Firmware Enabler works fine on PSP-3000s as long as they arent updated to the latest firmware, I believe. So, if you want emulation/homebrew, its worth a shot. I, too, am running a PSP-2000 but I know its possible with the 3000s.

PSP isn't really an RPG system, unless you enjoy tactical RPGs. There are some; Crisis Core, the Star Ocean series, Persona is coming, Phantasy Star Portable, Monster Hunter, Kingdom of Paradise, etc, but a lot of these are either not true RPGs (as in the FF sense), or are just ports from old classics. Neither of those are bad things, but you just won't get an original experience, if that's what you're looking for.

There are lots of run of the mill RPGs, I'm playing Crimson Gem Saga right now, but it's generic and there's nothing special about it; story nor gameplay. Its just barely passing. Depends on what you like in your RPGs I guess.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zefier
Breaktime

Member 7533

Level 14.42

May 2006

Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:15 PM #1491 of 1496
If you're comfortable playing imports, the Tales series has essentially dumped half of their series onto the PSP. Of note: Tales of Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny 2, Rebirth, and the compilation one (Radiant Mythology). That is, if you're looking for RPGs... and not quite the traditional type.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:49 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2009, 11:49 AM #1492 of 1496
I'm considering the purchase of a PSP in the near future. I've scanned through the whole thread (though the old eyes probably glossed over after page 18).

In any case, I'm led to believe that I shouldn't get models whose mainboards are of a specific model, and furthermore I shouldn't get one with the latest firmware. Anything else a first-time purchaser with a desire to pirate should know about?

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Sjaakie
Wark!

Member 33838

Level 2.86

Jun 2009

Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:39 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2009, 07:39 AM #1493 of 1496
im still considering the purchase, It looks like there a few good rpgs on the psp. A couple of strategy games aswell. I really liked advance wars and age of empires on the DS.

I also noticed Sid Meier's Pirates! is on psp, I loved that game on the pc.

Thanks for the advice on the good rpgs:

I checked the review of Crisis Core on gamespot and the game looks quite nice.
Monster Hunter looks like a fun game but don't think I can expect much of a story in there.

The Tales series looks nice, not sure if it's only in Japanese but that wouldn't be much of a problem as im learning that since I will live there for a while next year.

Thanks for the advice, think I will buy one next month.

INot sure what you want us to say if you aren't willing to buy it for the current price, though.
ah maybe it's because im not a native english speaker. What I ment to say was that I would not want to spend that much money if there are only a few good games to play on the psp. It looks like there are quite a few good rpg/strategy and platformer games on it.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2009, 02:37 AM #1494 of 1496
Well the psp 3000 was recently hack, a custom firmware was created and apparently it seem to work well. You need a psp with the firmware 5.03 butI don't know if the psp models currently in store come with a firmware more recent.

It seem safe to buy the 3000 models if you are into homebrew. I just don't know how the hack and installation of the CFW work for those models though.

But you can check there: Custom Firmware on PSP-3000's - 5.03 GEN-A CFW released!! | PSP-3000 Hacks

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:31 PM #1495 of 1496
Enjoying mine so far, I had some credit to blow so I picked up some games I had been wanting. Ironically most of the games I wanted to play are ports or remakes of something I used to own. Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 1 and 2 (well 1 being the exception to the one game I didnt have or play), Final Fantasy Tactics and Castlevaniaracula X Chronicles.

If I get more interested I may look into some homebrew stuff. My roomate has an older PSP that I dont think hes touched for over a year.

FELIPE NO
Angelus T48
I am but an angel of death...

Member 34666

Level 6.19

Oct 2009

Old Oct 22, 2009, 02:08 AM #1496 of 1496
While this does have something to do with it, since I hadn't even head of Memory Stick Micro before the PSP Go, I'd say most of it has to do with piracy. No user-replaceable battery, all peripherals are proprietary; they can build in all the walls they want. They're trying to make it that much harder for people to hack the thing, but unless they've done a lot of rewriting of components that I don't know about, the scene will probably prevail.

Give it time. They'll find a way. They always do. In any case though, the PSPGo is essentially a deterant from the modding scene but it won't last long. Either it will be hacked, or the unit will flop. I personally don't want a device that relies solely on me having an internet connection, a means to purchase games through their site, and the MS Micro just sucks. Just like SD Micro cards. I'll loose the fucking things. I think people will even now still stick with the 2000 and 3000 series. Plus they are getting cheaper so more people will probably by those models rather than buy the Go right away anyways.

Of course, I love my 1000 series model. A thing of beauty. Fits well in my hands.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] PSP Discussion. Hay guys I just got one for Crisis Core, can u help me how 2 hax pls?