Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Holy shit there's some good stuff coming out soon

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:57 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2011, 11:57 PM #1 of 78
Holy shit there's some good stuff coming out soon

So what with being busy as shit and having a backlog of epic proportions, I'd not really looked into what new games are dropping soon but a quick glance at Amazon the other day tells be there's a ton of cool shit coming out and I'm surprised there aren't more threads about the games.

I had no idea there was a new EDF game on it's way for example. I fucking love EDF and have finished the whole thing on Hard and most of Hardest on my own but beyond that, without a second player it's tough as fuck. Thank the lord then that the new one has online co-op multiplayer! Clearly the best idea ever and I shall be buying the shit out of Insect Armageddon as soon as I get paid in August.

Next up is the increasingly awesome looking Space Marine in September. That I'm a big GW nerd is no secret here but even for people not into the lore or whatever the game looks sweet as fuck. Basically looking to reclaim everything that Gear of War stole from their IP, it started life as a combat rpg and now seems to be a hardcore, third-person massacre-them-up. None of this hiding in cover till your shield comes back bollocks, in Space Marine you regain life force by killing shit and only by killing shit. The game promises seemless transition between melee and shooting combat, thousands of pixelated bad guys to explode and carve up however you wish and the kind of micro-transaction market that only Little Big Planet has come close to rinsing in recent years. Truly this will be the game of the forever (I hope).

Then Battlefield 3 looks pretty tasty. Battlefield has always been up there with my favourite franchises and the new one looks mental. Even on the 360 rather than a £3,000 PC the game seems pretty slick from what I've seen and Battlefield type games never really get boring.

Anyway, what games are you planning on picking up in the next couple of months? There's a ton of other shit that isn't on my immediate purchase list but I'll get when the price halves a month after it's released so you guys must be looking forward to some shit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:56 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2011, 05:56 PM #2 of 78
I'm planning on purchasing the new EDF. What I've read about it so far leads me to believe that I will find it as enjoyable as EDF 2017. Other than that, I have my eye out for a good sale price on The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Ys I and II Chronicles.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:46 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2011, 09:46 PM #3 of 78
a good sale price on The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
It was on Amazon Lightning Deal last week for 25 percent off or something like that. Shame you missed it. It's one of the best RPGs of the generation.

And XSEED is talking about how much of a huge investment number 2 is. I can't wait. DAT CLIFFHANGER.

---------------

Also, summer release schedule sucks ass as per usual but fall starts pretty early this year and doesn't let up until November.

For July I have Otomedius Excellent because I'm a douchebag, and Chantelise if Carpe Fulgur/Space Drake's Twitter stays on track. And they rock hard so I'm totally looking forward to that.

August is...Dues Ex. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Third Strike Online if the rumours are to be believed. Ditto on Silvergun.

September is when shit hits the fan and we have an import of Xenoblade, Star Fox 3DS, Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, Kirby: Mass Attack, Gears 3, hopefully that Team Ico Collection, and Trackmania 2: Canyon, if that sticks.

October is Dark Souls, Assault Horizon, Forza 4, Arkham City and BF3.

November is Uncharted 3, Skyrim, and fucking Saints Row 3.

So there's a fair bit yeah.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:19 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2011, 10:19 PM #4 of 78
I'm looking forward to Starfox 3DS, and maybe kirby, but past that i'll probably mostly be focusing on buying a PS3 in fall and playing borrowed games on that until April next year or so.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2011, 01:01 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2011, 11:01 PM #5 of 78
I'm just looking forward to getting Deus Ex, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (preordered both 360 and Steam editions), Modern Warfare 3 (see how it turns out), Battlefield 3 (another one that may surprise me), Skyrim (With a good rig now, will definitely try it out), Rage (because fuck yeah it looks gorgeous!), Arkham City (because fuck yeah Arkham Asylum), Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and 40K: Kill Team for Live (just 'cause), NeverDead (mechanics interest me) and probably a couple more games that I forgot.

There's also Catherine and Cursed Crusade, I guess. I just need to just cut down on interweb time and get some of my games done.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Single Elbow; Jul 8, 2011 at 01:15 AM.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:31 AM #6 of 78
Man, this year has raped me on games coming out. Damn E3. When I picked up Duke Nukem, I put down $10 each on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine and the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD remasters. Then Silent Hill 8... then the Silent Hill Collection...

Do want Arkham City though. And even though I'm not good at those kind of games, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim looks amazing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:38 AM #7 of 78
I'm planning on purchasing the new EDF. What I've read about it so far leads me to believe that I will find it as enjoyable as EDF 2017.
Some of the B-Movie charm gets stripped away now that they've actually put more than $50 into the graphics budget, but they didn't muck with the gameplay terribly much. As long as you weren't horrendously sick of the game, like if you grinded for the achievements, say, you'll like the sequel well enough.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:35 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2011, 07:35 AM #8 of 78
So Shin, have you gotten any play time with the Space Marine demo that hit the other day? If so, thoughts on it?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:26 AM #9 of 78
Oh yeah! That does hit the PSN today. I'm downloading it nao. I'll fiddle around with it later... but it looks really good.

Also, Total Biscuit did a video on it. He seems to have had a ton of fun playing it:

Warhammer 40k Space Marine Demo Gameplay

Most amazing jew boots

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:39 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2011, 02:39 PM #10 of 78
Echoing my new sig/ava combo, I just picked up Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'll post a proper review once I'm farther into the game, but so far I don't have any legit complaints.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:16 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2011, 03:16 PM #11 of 78
SM demo's pretty awesome. Played it on Steam and it looks and plays beautifully.

Instead of healing items, you get to execute your opponent in a gruesome faction which in turn restores your health. There's also the Fury option which, if filled, restores health on every melee strike.

Otherwise its standard "do objective a to proceed to another area", but I like its execution. Especially when you get the jump pack at the second demo mission, oh god.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:51 AM #12 of 78
Warhammer 40k Space Marine kicks so much ass. I haven't had fun playing just the demo of a game in a while. Can't wait for the full game.

The game is kinda tough too. Even when I was testing it out on easy, I found myself overwhelmed a good number of times. I didn't notice much frame dropping with a ton of enemies on screen at once, either. Executions are pretty damn brutal and expected no less from this. I believe Relic did a damn good job on this. I might even pick it up on PC to play on the Dawn of War II rig I won from E3.

I just hate that there are so many games coming out this year, and so little money.

Most amazing jew boots

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:49 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2011, 01:49 PM #13 of 78
Just bought the first component that's going to be part of my new gaming PC so I can play Battlefield 3.

Can anyone give me a good reason why not to go with the Intel i5-2500K? I've currently got a GeForce 9800 (which is like bare minimum for the game), but I wouldn't mind waiting a month or two using that if anyone's aware of any new video cards coming soon that might push the Radeon HD 6850 or GeForce 460 down in price (or maybe a new card that'll replace them)?

How ya doing, buddy?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:08 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2011, 09:08 PM #14 of 78
XFX Radeon HD 6870 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM

I am using this RR and it's real good. Probably too much for you though. I'm actually going to get Battlefield 3 for 360 (my first battefield game!) just because I know I dont have a top of the line card to really push Battlefield, and the fact that many of Xbox buddies will be playing it there. I see no reason why should even get Battlefield on the PC with a low-end card RR. I do know you are not a console guy though, so I may not be able to turn you.

Deus Ex rocks by the way.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:26 PM #15 of 78
Deus Ex

And now that its coming to Xbox 360 - Goldeneye

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:29 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2011, 03:29 PM #16 of 78
The demo for space marine may have just played its way into a 'buy' slot for me. That was a lot of fun.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:01 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2011, 10:01 PM #17 of 78
Yeah, I too was surprised by it.

Dunno if I'll rent it or what, but it's certainly a pleasant surprise. Shame about it's release window.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:39 AM #18 of 78
SM demo's pretty awesome. Played it on Steam and it looks and plays beautifully.
And the 360 version isn't far behind.

Quote:
Instead of healing items, you get to execute your opponent in a gruesome faction which in turn restores your health.
Note: this does not carry over into adversarial MP; instead health regenerates, albeit slowly. I do wonder how hard it would have been to carry over, though: it would be muck akin to trying to execute a Nob/CSM in SP with the 'struggle' being in fact a button-mashing contest between the two players (meaning the would-be victim does have a chance to pull off a painful counter).

Most amazing jew boots
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:44 AM Local time: Aug 28, 2011, 04:44 PM #19 of 78
I've not had a chance to play it yet, what with it being the last week of the season I've been forced to go out and get drunk pretty much every night this week. I did buy, and have been playing a load of EDF which is awesome. I might download the demo now and play it when I get in later.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:01 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2011, 12:01 PM #20 of 78
Quote:
I am using this RR and it's real good. Probably too much for you though. I'm actually going to get Battlefield 3 for 360 (my first battefield game!) just because I know I dont have a top of the line card to really push Battlefield, and the fact that many of Xbox buddies will be playing it there. I see no reason why should even get Battlefield on the PC with a low-end card RR. I do know you are not a console guy though, so I may not be able to turn you.
Is a $200 graphics card really considered lower end now? The 6850 is the "recommended" card for BF3, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be able to run the game pretty well. This is probably going to be my last real gaming computer, so I don't mind plunking down more money if needed to have a pretty nice one. I personally don't care about having every setting maxed, but having my games not look like Wolf3D and getting constant framerates in the 50s/60s is what I'm mostly interested in.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:36 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2011, 09:36 PM #21 of 78
Oh hey so I played the Space Marine demo and the game is pretty awesome, I won't be cancelling my pre-order. Hopefully they'll keep the mp maps nice and small to encourage full on slaughter. I also downloaded the Fire Team game which is top fun too, and very silly.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:42 PM #22 of 78
Oh hey so I played the Space Marine demo and the game is pretty awesome, I won't be cancelling my pre-order...
Glad to hear that, now here's another thing to like about the game: co-op is in. Or will be in about a month, in any case.

So, if you need a wingman for the purging of greenskins (or bug control in New Detroit), do drop me a line.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2011, 03:15 AM Local time: Sep 5, 2011, 09:15 AM #23 of 78
Multiplayer in EDF is weirdly tempremental. Some days if you hit Quick Match you'll get an endless loop of unable to connect/connection has timed out forcing you to choose a custom match instead whereas somedays you just drop straight in over and over. The random element of Quick Matches is hilarious though as you've no idea what skill the game is on until you join meaning if you take a high-level character and it's people boosting crap ones on easy you ruin their game by decimating the bad guys whereas if they're playing on Inferno and you enter with a low-level guy you have to just run for your life until they manage to kill everything, all the while making it harder just by being there (And causing so many more aliens to spawn). I've still not finished vanilla campaign on Inferno yet, 2-1 is kicking my level 7 Tactical guy's arse. It's the damn bomb spiders that do it, although the slow-down works in your favour as you can get ticks off really easily.

FELIPE NO
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:49 AM #24 of 78
I've still not finished vanilla campaign on Inferno yet, 2-1 is kicking my level 7 Tactical guy's arse. It's the damn bomb spiders that do it, although the slow-down works in your favour as you can get ticks off really easily.
Some tips:
  • see that tank they give you at the start of the level? Almost the first thing you want to do is back it off the bridge and move it a couple blocks east before downing the two carriers. One of them crashes pretty much on that spot;
  • After destroying the lander and cleaning up the associated spawn, you'll be asked to move to a point across the river. This is really what we saved the tank for - first, to destroy all buildings on a north-south line between it and the river, affording a clear field of fire; and second, to make reasonably quick work of the ants and spiders;
  • aside from your turret (AC recommended), you want to bring the latest Stickerburr model (this is the blooper that fires sticky/timed cluster grenades)... you want to use it to lay mini-minefields between you and the ticks. Oh, and it never hurts to give the boomer some care packages, either.
If this is still being a bother, let me know - as noted, another gun can't hurt.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:52 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2011, 10:52 PM #25 of 78
Oh hey so Space Marine is awesome. I've played through most of the single player (Chapter 13 was kicking my arse last night, I was too drunk to manage it) and played a bit of multiplayer (Level 5 right now) and it's awesome. I love the fact that so many games try to have a proper badass as the main character and some do ok except they have health packs instead of launching yourself into hordes of the enemy and murdering them in the most brutal fashion possible to regain health. Towards the end of the single player campaign (On normal at any rate) you do need to start hiding behind stuff and popping out to kill people but for most of the game it's entirely feasable to just charge headlong into the enemy and just fuck shit up until everyone's dead. It's a real shame there's no campaign co-op because that'd be hilarious, can't wait for Exterminatus to launch.

Multiplayer is pretty great too. The balancing seems ok so far although that could be because people've not had time to work out which is the "best" weapon yet. One feature I do like is being able to select the load out of the person who killed you when you respawn which means someone can't dominate just because they've levelled up a ton and have the best gear. Also, the customiser is awesome, allowing changes to the minute detail of the colour schemes meaning someone like me who grew up with Dark Angels having yellow trim on their shoulder pads can udjust their skin accordingly.

It's a game for massive nerds but it's also a great game for people into shooters in general. Like Gears of War mixed with the swarms of bad guy cannon fodder from something like Too Human (Or not, if you're one of the many people who didn't enjoy that game).

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Holy shit there's some good stuff coming out soon