Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:15 PM #26 of 3592
Well, 2009 is when the next round of consoles will emerge.

It would have made more sense to push HD then, rather than now...but Microsoft seems to have been pretty successful in selling the concept so far.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:19 PM #27 of 3592
To keep this light hearted, here's an interesting conversation:

"We have lost many fanboys in this battle against the analyists of Satan. Hail the victorious dead!"

"..."

"No news of the PS3 yesterday?"

"None. Apparently Massive Attack is a heretic"

"There is no time. Everyday the Xbox 360 becomes more powerful.."

"Dammit, how do we know that?"

"What does your heart tell you?"

"..."

"That the PS3 is vaporware"

"Lol, you bastard"

What the... 360 and Rev until 2009? Ugh, Guns and Wands for 3 years...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:21 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:21 AM #28 of 3592
Thumbs up

ROFL

Well done there Metal Sphere.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:28 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:28 PM #29 of 3592
Why is anyone listening to what Megalith says anyway?

Also, Merril Lynch is still full of shit.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:28 PM #30 of 3592
Of all the PS3 rumors out there, I hope this is the one that's least likely to happen. Because it would really suck if it did.

http://ps3.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=930

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:33 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:33 PM #31 of 3592
That's just the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Why even pay attention to these rumors?

We already know that there will only be one SKU for this system. And who listens to Gamestop/EbGames employees?

FELIPE NO

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:33 PM #32 of 3592
Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
ROFL

Well done there Metal Sphere.
Oh hell no! I'm not going to take the credit for that. DarkPhoenix on GAF made that little conversation up, and it had half the forum in stitches. The facial expressions and comments are hilarious.

Oh God... People actually listen to EB employees for news about next gen consoles? And yes, Merrill Lynch's revised estimate for the bill of materials for the PS3 came under more fire than the first, from every angle because it just reeked of being fabricated while on the crapper.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:46 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:46 AM #33 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Oh hell no! I'm not going to take the credit for that. DarkPhoenix on GAF made that little conversation up, and it had half the forum in stitches. The facial expressions and comments are hilarious.
I'm still laughing from that post.

While that is beside the point here is an interesting article posted by Gamespot. The highlight of the article is...

Quote:
Our updated analysis indicates that the initial bill of [production] materials for PS3 could approach $900," read the report. The report said that the production cost of a single Cell processor will be $230 at launch, with the Blu-ray drive setting Sony back $350 per unit. However, the $900 price tag presumably includes a $100 optional hard drive, as a breakdown of component costs in the report totals just $795.

If the $900 estimate is correct, that means the PS3 would have to sell for around $775-$800 to maintain a $100-$125 per-unit loss similar to that of Microsoft's Xbox 360. If the $795 estimate is correct, the console could sell for around $699--within the range recently forecast by a group of analysts and developers polled by CNN/Money.

Merrill Lynch expects that PS3 production costs will start falling after 2007, when Sony can shift the Cell chip's manufacture from the complex 90nm process to the more cost-effective 65mn process. Scaling Blu-ray to other devices will also bring down the drive's price. Merrill Lynch predicts that the PS3's production cost will fall to $320 in the three years after its launch, by which time the Cell will cost only $60 per unit and the Blu-ray drive only $100 per unit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:50 PM #34 of 3592
We just finished talking about Merrill Lynch's estimate's being ridiculous. Before they pegged the Cell, RSX and BRD at $101 a piece and here the price for the RSX plummets while the drive jumps to $350.

And this is based on what? The only part that hasn't been getting rave reviews on yields is the BRD drive, while the other two are having very little trouble in production.

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:54 PM #35 of 3592
Most likely the PS3 will land a price around $400-$500, pricing the system higher than that will give it a similar fate as the 3DO or Saturn. Of course the PS3 does have a big advantage to the XBox 360, MGS4. With a game like that (hopefully near launch) it will be what sells PS3s until Halo 3 strikes the 360. What I am looking forward to is DMC4 and an curious to see what Square-Enix has in the PS3 piepline.
Of course Rockstar could make another GTA and steal the show

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:16 PM #36 of 3592
i really hope sony focuses a bit more on quality games now too, since whats the point of a kick ass system if the games suck ass? (im not saying that there are no good games for previous playstations, im just saying they probally should put alot more quality games on the market)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:31 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:31 PM #37 of 3592
Is that why the PS2 has the best third party support, and generally better games?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:37 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 06:37 PM #38 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere

Oh God... People actually listen to EB employees for news about next gen consoles? And yes, Merrill Lynch's revised estimate for the bill of materials for the PS3 came under more fire than the first, from every angle because it just reeked of being fabricated while on the crapper.
Whoever made that up instantly wins the internet.

Somebody please tell me there's going to be a purely black PS3, and none of this dark grey/navy/tainted crap. They probably won't use the same surface for the PS3 as they did with the PS2, but they should simply so that everyone has matching consoles.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:47 AM #39 of 3592
1up.com has an interesting round-up of all the available PS3 info.

http://1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3148332

I was quite surprised by their games list, as I haven't heard about even half of these titles until now. The sci fi and RPG type games sound incredible, especially titles like Alan Wake (sounds creepy).

I think it's hopeful optimism that they confirm FFVII Remake as a title, but hey, I'm waiting for an announcement myself.

FELIPE NO
Six Machine
Let's have activities!

Member 1127

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:16 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:16 AM #40 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
I think it's hopeful optimism that they confirm FFVII Remake as a title, but hey, I'm waiting for an announcement myself.
That would be very good news.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:55 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:55 PM #41 of 3592
Hey now, don't just assume that every video game store employee is an idiot. I don't know where that dumbfuck got information that the PS3 would have two versions, but he or she is full of it.

A.) Hasn't Sony already denounced Microsoft for releasing two versions of the 360 and thus "confused the marketplace?"

B.) No one in the top shelf of the company has released any information like that, so that particular employee was making shit up.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:21 PM #42 of 3592
Phil Harrison at a UK event, said that he felt (his opinion, not Sony's) that the 2 SKU setup was far too problematic in terms of producting, marketing and consumer confusion.

And I don't know about other folks, but I made sure to put that in regards to next-gen consoles, you really shouldn't be listening to EB/Gamestop employees.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:32 PM #43 of 3592
But don't overgeneralize. Some of us aren't retarded. That particular person might have just misinterpreted something or made an assumption -- it happens. If a writer at GameSpot said it, would you be denouncing them as well?

If I sound a little too defensive, I don't mean to. But I fall into that EB/Gamestop employees category and I don't make stupid assumptions like that. At least, not anymore. >___>;

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:36 PM #44 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
But don't overgeneralize. Some of us aren't retarded. That particular person might have just misinterpreted something or made an assumption -- it happens. If a writer at GameSpot said it, would you be denouncing them as well?
Actually... yes I would. Especially Greg Kasavin, that bastard.

Quote:
If I sound a little too defensive, I don't mean to. But I fall into that EB/Gamestop employees category and I don't make stupid assumptions like that. At least, not anymore. >___>;
Come on, you can tell us SouthJag. What kind of bizzaro information did you tell some poor soul?

How ya doing, buddy?

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:40 PM #45 of 3592
Oh God knows what I've told some people. I mean, I am a salesperson, right? The worst I've ever done was tell someone a game was good. A recent example...

Customer: "AYO DAT FITTY SENT GAME ANY GOOD?!"
Me: "Oh yeah, it's a great game. Really, it's one of the best third-person action titles out there, right alongside True Crime: New York City."
Customer: "AWW SHIIIIIIT U FO REEL?! DAYUM! LEMME GET BOF COPEES!"
Me: "Allright then. Good choice!"

Somethin' like that. XD

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 05:00 PM #46 of 3592
Question

Originally Posted by SouthJag
Oh God knows what I've told some people. I mean, I am a salesperson, right? The worst I've ever done was tell someone a game was good. A recent example...

Customer: "AYO DAT FITTY SENT GAME ANY GOOD?!"
Me: "Oh yeah, it's a great game. Really, it's one of the best third-person action titles out there, right alongside True Crime: New York City."
Customer: "AWW SHIIIIIIT U FO REEL?! DAYUM! LEMME GET BOF COPEES!"
Me: "Allright then. Good choice!"

Somethin' like that. XD
LOL

That is just plain wrong.

Just to get back on topic here, I'm wondering how much you guys are willing to plunk down for a PS3? :dealer:

How ya doing, buddy?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:10 PM #47 of 3592
For the console itself? $400, even though I'll likely wait until a revision or two has taken place before picking it up. If it's largely problem free (highly unlikely) I'll pick one up maybe 3 months after the launch date with one game.

Most amazing jew boots

LivingDreams
Chocobo

Member 520

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:11 PM #48 of 3592
Originally Posted by Stealth
That's just the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Why even pay attention to these rumors?

We already know that there will only be one SKU for this system. And who listens to Gamestop/EbGames employees?
The member at the official playstation forum do.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:01 PM #49 of 3592
I'll buy PS3 when MGS4 hits, just like everyone else with a brain.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:04 AM #50 of 3592
Originally Posted by LivingDreams
The member at the official playstation forum do.
Yeah, because an "official forum" with a bunch of members believing game store workers on their release dates makes it official/confirmed, right?

This is a next generation console we're talking about, not just another PS2 game release. There's always a higher possibility in this case that they fucked up their information.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread