Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

DC: One Year Later

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:00 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:00 AM #1 of 47
DC: One Year Later

So, DC's "One Year Later" started this month. It depicts event's that happened a year after Infinite Crisis. In other words a "reboot" of their titles. So, you DC/Marvel fans think it's a good thing? Or does reading these books still confuse you? For instance, do you think the stories still have references to other books, like what happened to who, and who is who? So, I ask you, did DC fuck it up or is it actually what the fans/non-fans been waiting for?

P.S. I'm not that much of a DC fan, so if there's some wrong or untold information about OYL, please correct me in any way you can.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:26 PM #2 of 47
How about we wait until more than 1 issue of each series has been released before judging . . .

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:44 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:44 AM #3 of 47
i read new batman and im hella confused.
we need more issues before we can judge

no homo

Last edited by Zip; Apr 10, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 03:51 PM #4 of 47
I thought OYL was supposed to make a better flowing universe in which continuity is established between titles. However, I'm already seeing problems. Powergirl is in Kandor and part of the JSA. Supergirl is in Kandor and protecting Metropolis. (She also might be in the 31st century, but there are a few reasons why that's not really a problem.) Robin is helping out Batman, having adventures in his own mag, and a member of the Teen Titans. It seems to me that DC has blown a golden opportunity to keep everything straight.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:15 PM #5 of 47
Why don't they just create a new series for this stuff. Seriously.

I like how they try to continue things during issue #586 of a series, or whatever. And to top it off, the story takes place between two different series, of course.

STORY TO BE CONTINUED IN BATMAN ANNUAL #29191

How ya doing, buddy?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:32 PM #6 of 47
No, it's Detective Comics and Batman.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:45 PM #7 of 47
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
No, it's Detective Comics and Batman.
Umm.. what is? I'm not really sure what you're talking about...

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:20 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 10:20 AM #8 of 47
Detective Comics and Batman are somewhat connected (I think..)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:33 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 08:33 PM #9 of 47
I belive the entire best thing that could be done was to start on a whole new story line. Keeping stuff simple and just getting some fresh wind in. Like batman 651 is a second part of a already on-going series. To me that's just lame. Im not gonna stomp on them atfter a issue but i dont like it at the moment :8

no homo
wishingstar
make a wish

Member 4145

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 02:55 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 11:55 PM #10 of 47
dispite that i follow some story arc... i never get how the DC and Marvel works in their character creation.

like there're just so many different stories which makes me wonder how it really works. i mean is it like if i have a good idea/story about say superman (which got approved, etc). i get my own 'universe' ?? do i get permission from stan lee to draw my own spiderman comic? like how does it really work?

are they all related? do the artists take turn to tell stories?

can some one please explain to me :/ thx~

How ya doing, buddy?
let's get physical..cal...cal...cal...
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:53 AM #11 of 47
Generally I believe that the company contacts a writer and offers them a contract to do X number of issues for book Y. The writer then has a certain amount of time to come up with a story. The story is submitted for approval and if given the ok, then work on the script and the art begins. However, when it comes to mega-events like Infinite Crisis, House of M or Civil War I believe that they have a rather large team of editors and writers get together to discuss what is going to happen - then they assign different writers to different books and tell them what to write (or tell the current writers what story they have to write).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

wishingstar
make a wish

Member 4145

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:05 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 12:05 PM #12 of 47
in that case, there should one of each character then right?
how did all the other 'parallel' character appear then :/

and so this is why they make it into the infinite earths cuz they got confusing? what exactly did they screw up?

Last edited by wishingstar; Apr 2, 2006 at 03:22 PM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 06:08 PM #13 of 47
A problem with the multiverse in DC was that sometimes it became difficult to keep track of all the characters, or at least that is my understanding. Another problem was that people who wanted to write a story involving long-standing characters like Superman, but didn't want to tamper with the current character, could just create a new Earth and write their story.

The problem with the last Crisis is that it didn't succeed. Writers created "Elseworld" comics. Hypertime (a nexus of access points to similar realities) was created. Time was rearranged. So, instead of a linear universe, like there was supposed to be, we ended up with an even more confusing universe. And no, there shouldn't necessarily only be one of each character. If someone can think of a legitimate reason for there being a parallel version, such as those in the Marvel Age or Ultimates (and I can include them because Marvel never tried to become linear), I don't mind at all. What I mind is when the same version of the character appears in about four or five different titles in the same month {thinks of Superman and Wolverine}.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 08:37 PM #14 of 47
Don't forget about Batman. He's in even more titles than Wolvie every month.

Also - this new Superman arc is actually good. I'm shocked.

wishingstar
make a wish

Member 4145

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:50 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 11:50 PM #15 of 47
that's where i have the most problem with.

especially batman and spiderman.

are they the same character? same universe?
batman, for instance, i mean, now i finally sort of figured out that batman is onto his third robin (i think) and some ex-robin actually came back to haunt him.... which is sorta canon i guess.. (old old old news).
but ther'e just so many titles. <- and once again brings me back to my original question. how/who/why authorized this to be written this way ?

and with something like marvel 100000000 (or DC or whatever... something like that), or kingdomcome. which is the story of the future. will the 'universe' eventually go that way? or will it be argued again be in another universe and completely forgotten

FELIPE NO

Last edited by wishingstar; Apr 4, 2006 at 02:52 AM.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:12 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 09:12 PM #16 of 47
spiderman and batman are like the biggest charecters ever. They are gonna get milked. Some books use the same batman from the normal universe (batman is getting in his mid 30s has a lot of experiance, has seen deaths etc etc) but in like Allstar Batman it's a complete seperate universe.
I dont find it that confusing, it's pretty clear if it's all new or old.

no homo
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 02:14 PM #17 of 47
If you can't figure out that Superman and Batman are separate people . . . then I don't know what to say. Go do some reading on Wikipedia, it will help you.

How ya doing, buddy?

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:05 PM #18 of 47
Many titles are assigned an editor. Not only does this editor edit the story, but he or she also helps the writer (and sometimes the artist) pitch the story. If found acceptable, he story is worked on and printed. This is how stories end up the way they do. A story could be wonderful on paper or during the pitch, but executed improperly (as I imagine was done with Superman & Batman).

Stories about futures generally end up being alternate futures because otherwise the current writers could become limited to trying the match the current universe to a preset future. It limits them in a way.

Batman is up to his thrid Robin (I think--It's still unclear to me whether the One Year Later Robin is still Tim). And the second Robin, Jason Todd, is not "haunting" Batman. He came back from the dead and decided to introduce his own brand of justice. Now, he's Nighwing... as is the first Robin.

Does all of that explain everything?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:24 PM #19 of 47
The one year later Robin is Tim. This was confirmed even before the OYL issues came out.

We don't know who the second Nightwing is yet. We can only speculate that it is Jason Todd.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

wishingstar
make a wish

Member 4145

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:17 PM #20 of 47
it seemed a little more reasonable....
so does this goes the same for the current supergirl where she made a cameo in batman/superman, and had her own comics and then appeared in superman#223 (i think that's the number)??

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:16 PM #21 of 47
I'm not sure what you mean, supergirl, and I don't want to assume and answer incorrectly, making myself look like an idiot. Are you perhaps asking how she could have in Batman/Superman, her own comics, and the Superman issue? Because that has a simple answer.

The one year later Robin is Tim.
I know this now. It has been clearly addressed in Teen Titans.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:20 PM #22 of 47
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
I know this now. It has been clearly addressed in Teen Titans.
It was clearly addressed in Batman, Detective Comics and Robin in teh few previous weeks . . .

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 02:03 AM #23 of 47
Originally Posted by supergirl
and with something like marvel 100000000 (or DC or whatever... something like that), or kingdomcome. which is the story of the future. will the 'universe' eventually go that way? or will it be argued again be in another universe and completely forgotten
Just to go back to this but Kingdom Come is just another "Elseworlds" book so no it won't represent the future or possible future for the DC heroes. As the trade for KC puts it:
Quote:
In Elseworlds, heroes are taken from their usual settings and put into strange times and places-some that have existed or might of existed, and others that can't, couldn't or shouldn't exist."
Elseworlds titles like KC can allow new and old readers to jump into a book with out the numerous years of continuity and backstory to enjoy the books and the story. It's this reason alone why I'm loving All Star Superman & Justice.

That said and back on topic, I am enjoying the OYL Superman arc in "Superman" and "Action Comics" by Busiek & Johns.

FELIPE NO
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 01:07 PM #24 of 47
It was clearly addressed in Batman, Detective Comics and Robin in teh few previous weeks . . .
I disagree, but we can just leave it at that.

Ooh, yeah. One year later, Power Girl is in two places, Supergirl is in three (not counting the Legion), and Robin is in three. Yeah, there are no continuity problems at all!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
wishingstar
make a wish

Member 4145

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 07:47 PM #25 of 47
how can they be in different places? at once? or in some sort of contunuity.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > DC: One Year Later