Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer Hangs

Sharath
Screenshot King

Member 1125

Level 12.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 04:00 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 02:30 PM #1 of 6
Computer Hangs

I am very much pissed off with my computer.

MY specs are :
AMD athlon 64 2800+
MSI K8mmV mobo
Seagate 160 GB Hdd
Geforce FX 5200 128 mb
Hynix 512 mb ddr 333 mhz RAM
LG Cd/RW
Sony DVD/Rw

The problem i am facing from past few months is that my computer gets hung.
The main place its getting hung is when i burn cd's or dvd's. It doesnt get hung always but it sure does get hung sometimes and the result of this is around 50 spoilt cd's and dvd's lying in front of me.

The computer also get hung while playing NFS most wanted.
Also gets hung when some heavy program makes the cpu fan run faster.

I changed my SMPS thinking the old one would suit the new specs and still the same.

I am real pissed off of losing cd's and dvd's...donno what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No One Dies as a Virgin....LIFE FUCKS EVERYONE!

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:01 PM #2 of 6
Make sure that both IDE controllers are set to DMA mode, not PIO. Other than that, do general "house cleaning," I suppose.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:03 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 06:03 PM #3 of 6
First check the memory - with memtest86 e.g.
Then check the CPU stability - prime95 is good for testing, but you can also use something like burncpu - also locks up the system if it isn't hw-stable.

'heavy program makes the cpu fan run faster' <- are you using cool & quiet? Try disabling it.

To test the ide subsystem you can try extracting data from already recorded dvds to the harddisk (using IsoBuster, etc.)

To summerize: try to isolate the problem to a small portion of the system

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Snowknight
Make sure that both IDE controllers are set to DMA mode, not PIO. Other than that, do general "house cleaning," I suppose.
If the system is currently in PIO-mode and it locks up, switching to DMA doesn't seem wise to me because it would increase instability.
At least its an indicator that their is trouble with the cpu (PIO transfers all data through the cpu).

cya
liquid

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Jun 18, 2006 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:14 PM #4 of 6
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid
If the system is currently in PIO-mode and it locks up, switching to DMA doesn't seem wise to me because it would increase instability.
At least its an indicator that their is trouble with the cpu (PIO transfers all data through the cpu).

cya
liquid
I find it more likely that being in PIO mode would cause things to hang, since the CPU is too... inundated with data--it's too busy. DMA isn't going to decrease stability, really; PIO is simply slower, since the CPU does need to be the liason for all memory access operations, or so to speak. (Plus, I've had similar issues before on IDE devices; having both IDE controllers in PIO mode makes all sorts of intensive things crawl.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Sharath
Screenshot King

Member 1125

Level 12.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 01:07 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 11:37 PM #5 of 6
Well its in dma mode.Do i need to put it in PIO mode?

I need to check memory and cpu yet..will post results of it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (31.5 KB, 7 views)
No One Dies as a Virgin....LIFE FUCKS EVERYONE!

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:24 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 07:24 AM #6 of 6
Originally Posted by Snowknight
I find it more likely that being in PIO mode would cause things to hang, since the CPU is too... inundated with data--it's too busy. DMA isn't going to decrease stability, really; PIO is simply slower, since the CPU does need to be the liason for all memory access operations, or so to speak. (Plus, I've had similar issues before on IDE devices; having both IDE controllers in PIO mode makes all sorts of intensive things crawl.)
You're right that data transfers in PIO mode put a whole lot of stress on the CPU, but the CPU shouldn't fail when under stress. If your system was locking up using PIO - and DMA seems to resolve this, you're not really solving the problem because it shouldn't lock-up in the first place.

@Sharath: No, leave it in DMA and start testing the system.

cya
liquid

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer Hangs