Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:28 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 02:28 PM #1 of 608
The games have always been very graphic while at the same time not. Not a lot of gratuitousness I guess is what I'm trying to say. It's a fine line to walk particularly in film, I'm sure a lot of people are going to be unhappy with whatever the level of violence will be.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 02:22 PM #2 of 608
I still am blown away by how the textile and rust washed art style of the game has seemed to even been enhanced from some images released of this movie. If it looks that surreal in motion, the movie will be worth it just for that.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:16 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 01:16 AM #3 of 608
Originally Posted by evergreen
Empire came out in 1980.

It'd be from I Love the 80's.
The scene in question would be from Return of the Jedi.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 03:47 PM #4 of 608
Clips look good, but
Spoiler:
I dislike the way the cult members talk. It's laid on a little too thick from what's shown, no subtle creepiness.

Most amazing jew boots

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:08 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 11:08 AM #5 of 608
Quote:
Sounds like this movie actually sucks, and I am disappointed. I think I will see it.
Well, I'm reading over some of these fan reviews, and I read the full Ebert review. There aren't many that don't reference the game or the fact that the film sprung from a game. Hardly anyone is looking at this as a stand alone film, which it is. Of course it was adapted, but that should not be a factor of critique. None of these reviews, positive or negative, are exactly reliable.

What I'm gathering from all the early reviews is that the look is fantastic, the dialogue boarders on being bad, and the plot forces you to work things out on your own. Not that you have to have had played the game to figure things out, I'm sure it's very possible from the content of the movie. The tone most people have who are voicing that complaint sound as if they don't care enough to try, ambiguous narrative is simply not there thing.

Anyways, I had figured as much from the trailers, no new info here. I already had a good idea what I'm walking into, what I want to see is a review on how the movie feels, how successfully atmosphere is created.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:35 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 11:35 AM #6 of 608
Ebert has a way of taking either it floated my boat or it didn't and turning it into an essay. The man is well spoken but rarely objective from what I've read. I don't disrespect the guy but I never write off a film if he doesn't recommend it.

No, there are two critic reviews out (brought to our attention in this thread, anyway), and a bunch of pounded out paragraphs from a bunch of pre screening audience members. And like I said, the ones that focus on the factor that this is a video game adaptation, I can't take those seriously. Glowing review or panning one, give me your thoughts on it as a movie and leave the game side alone.

The Ain't It Cool review posted actually is more for what I'm looking for. Which is surprising given that I've seen more than a couple really bias opinions out of that site in the past.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 12:11 PM #7 of 608
I wouldn't say it's the correct way, it's the natural way which is why I'm not slighting him. In his review of this film, he doesn't state, "Here's what the movie is trying to do, here's how successful it is at it," he instead says, "I shrugged my shoulders at people after the movie because the movie didn't make me care enough to treat it thoughtfully."

Most critiques are going to be subjective, the only way to use them is to find an author who seems to have similar sensibilities and to see if they describe what you're looking for out of a film.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 21, 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 01:01 PM #8 of 608
Quote:
People that say Ebert "just doesn't get it" are people who don't understand film in the slightest.
Now, see, I've read various thoughts and articles from the two people directly responsible for this film, Gans and Avery. To suggest that they don't have some idea of what they're doing, I'd say the same of those people. This hasn't really been a basic movie making experience from an onlooker's perspective. The film makers have really let people in to their mindsets, they've communicated with fans, needed approval from Konami and Yamaoka, and with everything that's shone from the spirit of the film makers in regards to making this film, you'd think that anyone panning the film would have something, anything to say about that.

How could something go so wrong from two seemingly intelligent and passionate people who have been so genuinely excited about what they've made? It doesn't add up. Taking that into account, reasons for calling the film awful better be damn good, unlike any of the superficial piss poor reasoning I've seen so far.

If the movie is bad, I'll agree that it's bad after I see it tomorrow. Judging from early opinions, the lines aren't very difficult to read between.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 21, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:14 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 11:14 AM #9 of 608
It's not either or though, bad ass or blank slate. Henry could of had some sort of personality, would of been nice.

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 09:27 PM #10 of 608
My thoughts on the film. Cons out of the way first. Dialogue was serviceable, but I didn't find it cheesy. Acting was around the same level, in spots, it could be bad. Rose and Cybil have no chemistry. The little girl actress needed less lines.

Spoiler:
When Rose was being filled in on the backstory, if they really couldn't of found another way to fit this information in, they could of done without a voice over and let Alyssa show Rose what happened via full flashbacks.

And that's it. Other than that, the film was great. It was directed well, it looked amazing, was paced well, it was tense, it was subtle, it was detailed. And unlike some who are a little miffed about certain switch ups, I think the adaptation of the plot was handled spectacularly.

Spoiler:
It makes the themes and overtones of the film stronger to make the cult god fearing in the more traditional way. It really does add a layer and a half to have them stuck in a hell of there own making, the devil of that world holding the power over that world instead of the god they call upon to save them, and seemingly, the devil is right in her cause.

This was such a change for the better over birthing a dark god via a child through ritual.

I thought the finale was amazing. It was a sight to behold.

All in all, what this movie is really about, the imagery and the atmosphere, that's delivered in spades. The rest of the trappings have there problems here and there, but are not near as bad as some are making it out to be. I'd give it a letter grade of B. I can see myself heading to the theater to see it a second time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 10:01 PM #11 of 608
Spoiler:
I'm not praising the ending because of its graphic nature, but it was exactly what the film needed to close the book. A reckoning. The image of a disfigured child wielding barb wire like angel wings from a hospital bed is a place not a lot of filmmakers or studios would go. Watching the few who had a fearful respect of Alyssa bold open eyed at the massacre unfolding, terrified at who would be their savior, it was compelling stuff.

Quote:
I have to disagree on the subtlety thing. Silent Hill was the furthest thing from subtle.

Er, well, I guess you caught me throwing adjectives at the wall to see what would stick. Yeah, it wasn't subtle, but it did have a few nice touches.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 23, 2006 at 01:06 AM.
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 02:01 AM #12 of 608
Okay, I have to ask, what's the joke I'm missing? What's to laugh at in this film? I don't see how the subject matter or execution was so obviously unintentionally hilarious. I was in a full theater. There was no one chuckling. How is lack of both maturity and the willingness to suspend your disbelief for fantastical premise the fault of the film and not the audience?

An imdb poster put this quite well.

Quote:
There's kind of a Catch-22 going on in terms of complaints with the movie. On one hand, people are saying that the film was too long and "drawn out." On the other hand, people criticize the movie for lacking vital elements of the video game, demanding more "character development"(which, of course, would have lengthened the movie).

Both arguements are entirely unreasonable. The people who couldn't sit still through a 2 hour movie shouldn't have come in the first place. These are generally the type of guys who pay $15 to see an 80-minute zombie gore splash and yell "Sweet" at every execution scene. And the guys who're complaining about missing aspects of the game; what exactly are you expecting? No person can shove the content of 3 or 4 games into the span of 2 hours, and I think the director did a great job creating a vivid storyline and a entrancing world. There was absolutely nothing confusing about what happened in the movie. As an outsider, I can attest to the lucidity of the plot.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:19 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 05:19 PM #13 of 608
Spoiler:
I got a sense that not only did the cult want to deal with the child being a bastard, but the fact that Dahlia wouldn't even name a father. The cult might of figured the conception to be unnatural and the child a demon. Whether or not Alyssa's birth really was a product of dark works and if she really had any power before her burning, if the evil split personality came directly from her or was a/the devil responding to her pain, that much is left ambiguous.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:34 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 06:34 PM #14 of 608
I've always had a major problem with a certain aspect of SH2's story. It's hinged on the town being James and Mary's "special place", a resort town. I've always found that aspect silly and out of place in the series. There isn't really a believable reason you could float for Silent Hill being a haven of fond memories, and that's always hurt the story for me. Ignoring that, sure, the story was the best of the series. I'm hesitant about seeing it adapted though, and am not really hoping for any sort of sequel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 23, 2006 at 09:36 PM.
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:14 PM #15 of 608
Well, yeah, I get that's what the game billed it as. I'm not swallowing that pill. The place is suppose to have a history peppered in atrocities and mysticism long before the events of the first game. I could buy that the occult stuff of the town was buried under something seemingly normal, but as a place people vacation to? That's retarded.

Spoiler:
I mean, the movie didn't even go into anything past the town religion, and even it had the good sense not to try to sell as a novel bed and breakfast town.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 24, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:35 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:35 PM #16 of 608
Okay, fine. The town's a quaint place with friendly locals. Who wouldn't want to take a few days off, pack their bags.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just always something that's stood out to me as a lazy excuse on how to place these character's in Silent Hill.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:17 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:17 AM #17 of 608
Spoiler:
I don't believe that anyone inside the foggy Silent Hill is actually dead, they are simply inside Alyssa's domain and there's no way out of it. There is so much death or fear of death inside that world, it cheapens the physical fear to liken everyone to wandering spirits in hell/limbo. The setting is meant to be a living nightmare.

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:16 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:16 PM #18 of 608
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
At retrospect and since you guys mention it, I was easily the rudest motherfucker ever. I had too high expectations of the movie. I expected believable acting, a coherent plot, and the kind of fear and anxiety one feels while turning into a dark and ominious corner of the Silent Hill games. The movie failed to deliver on all parts, as the monsters were more humorous then frightening, the dialogue inexcusably bad and therefore hilarious, and it loved detracting from moments where I was just about gaining interested by switching to the scenes with the husband. The husband scenes were necessary, but they could have been placed better in the film. Also, were the gyrating nurses really necessary? Was that really meant to frighten anyone? Was that a joke? Because I definitely interpreted it that way. Big-breasted, undead nurses with short skirts that starts moving when a light is shone and freezes when the light is turned off is NOT SCARY. A dead fucker named Colin with outstanding abilities in postmortem yoga is NOT SCARY. There were too many random elements mashed together and it left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. The movie was basically a message against religious fanaticism fortified by the use of sadistic torture fueled by personal vengeance. What the fuck is that? So yes, hate me, I laughed throughout the entire film while everyone else was quiet and "scared".
That's fine. In all seriousness, I understand your points, I'm not going to argue with you about what you thought about the film.

Just shut your goddamned mouth during the movie out of respect for the public audience. Jesus Christ, this is common courtesy, common sense, and should be obvious.

Fucking Fifthted.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie