Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Do you support the Supreme Court's Descision?
Religious freedom is more important, allow the Sikhs to carry thier kirpans to school 9 18.00%
Personal Security is more important, No weapons in school, period. 41 82.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Canadian Supreme Court Decides to Allow Kirpans in School

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:56 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 06:56 PM #26 of 65
Way to poke holes in my satire.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:03 PM #27 of 65
Originally Posted by Locke
On a sidenote - I live in Canada, and the only time the doors are locked is when there is noone there, and sometimes not even then
It's true.

What I'm really surprised by is that I haven't see any coverage of this in my local paper.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:18 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:18 PM #28 of 65
Can't bring nail clippers on a plane, but you can bring a knife to gym class.

Yeah. I get it's a religious symbol. But the bottom line is that it's still a knife. He is still bringing a knife to school. I can't even begin to understand this. Bringing a knife to school regardless of the reasons behind it should not be allowed. Period.

Oh, it's only a replica. It's not sharp. So I suppose a school would let me stroll around with a replica Bowie knife, right? Sure. How about a fake handgun?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:10 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:10 AM #29 of 65
If you can establish it as the dogma for a recognized religion (the kind that get tax breaks) then knock yourself out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:52 AM #30 of 65
Originally Posted by acid
Can't bring nail clippers on a plane, but you can bring a knife to gym class.

Yeah. I get it's a religious symbol. But the bottom line is that it's still a knife. He is still bringing a knife to school. I can't even begin to understand this. Bringing a knife to school regardless of the reasons behind it should not be allowed. Period.

Oh, it's only a replica. It's not sharp. So I suppose a school would let me stroll around with a replica Bowie knife, right? Sure. How about a fake handgun?
My feelings exactly. It doesn't matter if the kid never INTENDS on using it - it's still a knife - still a weapon - that we're letting him bring to school. It may be a religous symbol, but if you remove religion from it, you find a deadly weapon designed to kill.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:03 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 08:03 AM #31 of 65
Originally Posted by Locke
My feelings exactly. It doesn't matter if the kid never INTENDS on using it - it's still a knife - still a weapon - that we're letting him bring to school. It may be a religous symbol, but if you remove religion from it, you find a deadly weapon designed to kill.

Wrong.

"Grr.... you motherfucker! *pulls out ceremonial knife* *STAB!*"
*TINK*
"Ow, you bastard. Why the FUCK did you stab me with a dull knife?"

Or, if we actually go with the restriction that was in the compromise before the case, we get this:

"Grr... you motherfucker!" *pulls out ceremonial knife* *stab*
"...Why the FUCK didn't you unsheathe it?"
"...It's... been... sewn... shut? ....Oh, shit."
*BITCHSLAPPED*

Ceremonial =\= weapons-grade knife. What's so hard to see about this?

And let's assume that it IS a weapons-grade knife. Then we have to deal with the fact that the sheathe has been sewn shut. Somebody who would want to kill somebody will NOT be using this, for the simple fact that it is too much fucking trouble to get it free.

"Yar har har! As soon as I get this knife free with these scissors, there'll be some stabbin' tonight! ...Wait a sec. These scissors... they're sharp. And pointy. Pretty sturdy, too. What the hell was I doing?"

FELIPE NO
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:51 PM #32 of 65
The kirpan is allowed to be used in self defense... which would lead one to believe that they are not dulled down ceremonial knives.

And second of all - with the new ruling, they don't have to be sewn shut - that was the school's policy on them before this whole shitshow.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:32 PM #33 of 65
Originally Posted by Murdercrow
And let's assume that it IS a weapons-grade knife. Then we have to deal with the fact that the sheathe has been sewn shut. Somebody who would want to kill somebody will NOT be using this, for the simple fact that it is too much fucking trouble to get it free.

"Yar har har! As soon as I get this knife free with these scissors, there'll be some stabbin' tonight! ...Wait a sec. These scissors... they're sharp. And pointy. Pretty sturdy, too. What the hell was I doing?"
So then you're telling me that a child should be allowed to bring a loaded handgun to school, provided that it's in a lock-box?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:25 AM #34 of 65
Actually, why the fuck can't they carry it?

I mean, I think we crossed a lot of lines when Jehovah's Witnesses don't have to stand for the NATIONAL FUCKING ANTHEM.

I'm sorry, but you're part of the fucking country, respect it, or GTFO.

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:50 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 07:50 AM #35 of 65
So then you're telling me that a child should be allowed to bring a loaded handgun to school, provided that it's in a lock-box?
Depends. Does the kid have the key, or an adult? And what was the gun brought in for?

acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:07 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:07 PM #36 of 65
Depends. Does the kid have the key, or an adult? And what was the gun brought in for?
Are you actually being serious? If there is a valid enough reason children should be allowed to bring guns to school?

I honestly can't tell if that was supposed to be some sort of smart-ass reply, of if you are telling me that it's ok if they bring a gun to school because it's in a case.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:09 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:09 PM #37 of 65
Are you actually being serious? If there is a valid enough reason children should be allowed to bring guns to school?
What if your father was a gun collector or a WWII vet, and you thought that was cool?

Quote:
I honestly can't tell if that was supposed to be some sort of smart-ass reply, of if you are telling me that it's ok if they bring a gun to school because it's in a case.
Wow. Congratulations on completely making a mountain out of a molehill.

"HOLY GOD HE BROUGHT IN A GUN TO SCHOOL! EXPEL HIM!"
"It's unloaded, under lock and key, the key is in the possession of an adult, and the CASE it's in is in the possession of an adult."
"...HOLY GOD HE BROUGHT A GUN TO SCHOOL! EXPEL HIM!"

Guns - ammunition = CLUB. Amd if it's an antique, it may not even work. Sometimes I wonder if you protest to the museum because they showcase medieval weaponry. =\

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:30 PM #38 of 65
The condition was, however, that the handgun would be loaded.

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:36 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:36 PM #39 of 65
Ahh, now THAT is stupid. =\

FELIPE NO
loyalist
Carob Nut

Member 1217

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:51 PM #40 of 65
Quote:
You could take a butterknife or safety scissors, things which can't cut flesh and use them to acess something which can. Period.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:45 PM #41 of 65
I don't know about you - but I have a whole lot of knives in my silverware drawer at home and have never stabbed anyone ever.

acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 12:29 AM #42 of 65
What if your father was a gun collector or a WWII vet, and you thought that was cool?
My father does own guns. I never did bring any of them to school.

Quote:
Wow. Congratulations on completely making a mountain out of a molehill.

"HOLY GOD HE BROUGHT IN A GUN TO SCHOOL! EXPEL HIM!"
"It's unloaded, under lock and key, the key is in the possession of an adult, and the CASE it's in is in the possession of an adult."
"...HOLY GOD HE BROUGHT A GUN TO SCHOOL! EXPEL HIM!"

Guns - ammunition = CLUB. Amd if it's an antique, it may not even work. Sometimes I wonder if you protest to the museum because they showcase medieval weaponry. =\
And we've made the jump from bringing a loaded handgun to school to museums exhibiting Civil War rifles how exactly?

Originally Posted by Bradylama
The condition was, however, that the handgun would be loaded.
Brady ftw.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:02 AM #43 of 65
This ruling pisses me off. What a nation of PC pussies we are, I'm slightly ashamed of my country at the moment.
If foreigners come here and are unhappy because part of their culture is forbidden by our local rules (and for good, non-arbitrary reasons), they have two choices: adapt or go back to their countries. Now, it seems they have a third choice, which is "whine to the pansy government in the name of freedom and tolerance and multiculturalism and <insert buzzword here>". Wankers.

Originally Posted by Fjordor
Someone who would create a religion demanding that it's followers carry AR-15s would be creating a religion that is hostile to the spirit of the law, and thus the government would first not recognize that religion as a religion
That's a load of bollocks. Religions are religions, and everyone is entitled to the same freedom of religion, whether the government likes this religion or not.

As for your whole "spirit of the law" nonsense, consider this: carrying guns in schools was already illegal. Despite freedom of religion, that never meant that you could be exempted from laws and rules to cater to your particular religion. That's why the you can't murder people because your religion requires you to kill infidels and get away with it, or do anything against the law. Why would we make an exception for the Sikhs? Because they're nice and peaceful? Again, there is the argument that another, non-Sikh student could steal it and use it to seriously harm another. And the presence of a visible weapon cannot be too good for atmosphere.

Originally Posted by Reznor
Actually, why the fuck can't they carry it?
Are you serious?

Quote:
I mean, I think we crossed a lot of lines when Jehovah's Witnesses don't have to stand for the NATIONAL FUCKING ANTHEM.
Huh? I must confess, I'm hopelessly confused by this statement. I'm assuming you are facetious, because no one gives a shit about stupid national anthems. At least in Canada. The gods know I'll never stand up for any such thing. *laughs*

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you're part of the fucking country, respect it, or GTFO.
Well, I can agree with that. Too bad too many Canadian politician weaklings think otherwise.

Effloresce
Someone

Member 3392

Level 4.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:55 PM #44 of 65
Not knocking the religion, but I don't think this is a good idea. Things get stolen in schools. All the time. Especially things of high value and/or personal importance. You are asking for trouble if you let kids bring Kirpans to school. Not because they themselves would do anything, but because of what someone could do with it if he got his hands on it. Be it accidental or intentional, someone will probably end up getting hurt thanks to some moron trying to act tough. Or kids might want to play with it, and could end up hurting themselves. All and all, it's just not a good idea.

How ya doing, buddy?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:07 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 04:07 PM #45 of 65
My father does own guns. I never did bring any of them to school.
Good for you. And this naturally means that you shouldn't be allowed to bring them in at all. Right.

Quote:
And we've made the jump from bringing a loaded handgun to school to museums exhibiting Civil War rifles how exactly?
Congratulations on completely avoiding my point.

Originally Posted by Morrigan
This ruling pisses me off. What a nation of PC pussies we are, I'm slightly ashamed of my country at the moment.
If foreigners come here and are unhappy because part of their culture is forbidden by our local rules (and for good, non-arbitrary reasons), they have two choices: adapt or go back to their countries. Now, it seems they have a third choice, which is "whine to the pansy government in the name of freedom and tolerance and multiculturalism and <insert buzzword here>". Wankers.
I think I'll just quote you, since you did such an excellent job of contradicting yourself.

Quote:
That's a load of bollocks. Religions are religions, and everyone is entitled to the same freedom of religion, whether the government likes this religion or not.
Quote:
As for your whole "spirit of the law" nonsense, consider this: carrying guns in schools was already illegal. Despite freedom of religion, that never meant that you could be exempted from laws and rules to cater to your particular religion. That's why the you can't murder people because your religion requires you to kill infidels and get away with it, or do anything against the law. Why would we make an exception for the Sikhs? Because they're nice and peaceful?
Thus, we should ban the Catholics' Communion, because it is symbolic cannibalism (i.e. you're eating the body and blood of Christ), and for some years, it was believed that what you ate actually WAS the body of Christ.

Quote:
Again, there is the argument that another, non-Sikh student could steal it and use it to seriously harm another. And the presence of a visible weapon cannot be too good for atmosphere.
And in such a case, the child who stole it should be prosecuted, but that doesn't mean that the child who brought the dagger to school should be prosecuted as well. A child who is angry enough (or stupid enough) to attempt to murder somebody won't necessarily use conventional weapons like daggers. Haven't you heard of prison shanks? Hell, they don't even have to use weapons at all.

Last edited by The_Griffin; Mar 18, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:49 PM #46 of 65
Why allow a weapon into shools period though? There's a reason why knives and firearms are banned - the're hazards to other students, regardless if they're only meant for self defense from a bully.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:09 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 07:09 PM #47 of 65
Is cannibalism actually illegal?

FELIPE NO
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:02 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 11:02 PM #48 of 65
Considering it usually involved murder, I'd say so, yes.

AtmaWeapon
Carob Nut

Member 3487

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:48 AM #49 of 65
This is bull and a fine example of double standards.

Canada is a society of law, not religion, and the law prohibits sharp blades from certain places, and to see our highest legislative body even CONSIDER taking any kind of religious argument into account makes me unconfortable.

May god strike me down if I don't speaketh thy truth
/thunderbolt

Formerly StackOverflow.
I was AtmaWeapon before that.
Now I'm AtmaWeapon again.
It's the Circle of Life!
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:31 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:31 AM #50 of 65
Originally Posted by AtmaWeapon
This is bull and a fine example of double standards.
Funny, it would seem to me that allowing certain religious behaviors (Communion, for example, just because I love symbolic cannibalism ) and not others would be the double standard.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Canadian Supreme Court Decides to Allow Kirpans in School