Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] '07 Academy Awards

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:33 AM #26 of 51
I'm pretty surprised Eddie Murphy didn't get the nod for best supporting actor and that Pan's Labyrinth lost the best foreign language film. Rumor had it that Pan's Labyrinth was actually going to be nominated for best motion picture.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:53 AM Local time: Feb 25, 2007, 10:53 PM #27 of 51
I only saw The Departed for the first time last week, but it instantly became one of my favorite movies; it is certainly one of the best I've ever seen. Totally agree with Best Picture/Director.

Nothing else really interesting. Ellen was a good host, like she has been for the Emmys.

How ya doing, buddy?
and Brandy does her best to understand
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:02 AM #28 of 51
I haven't paid attention to the academy awards for years. My GF was just watching it and i caught a glimpse briefly and from what i saw, it hasn't improved in quality at all.

The thing i don't get is why they've lately been riding the cock of any movies that deal with 1950/60's Motown/R&B acts. Ray was good, although not oscar worthy and the same can be applied to Dreamgirls which bored the shit out of me. Jennifer Hudson IMO didn't deserve to win tonight.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 02:02 AM #29 of 51
There are lobby groups. Also, Ray Charles died the year that film came out, so it won just because of that.

Jennifer Hudson, IMO, did a phenomenal job. But so did the the two actresses nominated from Babel. I'm glad I'm not the person that had to pick for that category because it was stacked. Any of them could have taken it. If I had to decide though, I think I might have nominated the Japanese girl. It must be friggin' tough to play a deaf-mute like she did.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Mucknuggle; Feb 26, 2007 at 06:22 AM.
aznxinvazn
Carob Nut

Member 9634

Level 4.12

Jul 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 03:07 AM #30 of 51
You mean a deaf-mute, not a blind-mute. :P

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
darkrose16
Carob Nut

Member 2924

Level 5.19

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:15 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 04:15 AM #31 of 51
After watching the Oscars I really want to see Pan's Labyrinth now, it seemed really interesting from what I saw at the Oscars and it did get many nods. I want to see The Departed also. I didn't see the Oscar's in full because Michigan had a stupid snow storm and cable was out on the entire campus. But I really did enjoy the Dreamgirls performance (and thought it was hilarious how they performed three songs, yet someone else won) And I loved that Jennifer Hudson won. Take that American Idol!

Additional Spam:
Oh, I loved how diverse the nominees were too!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by darkrose16; Feb 26, 2007 at 04:17 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 06:21 AM #32 of 51
You mean a deaf-mute, not a blind-mute. :P
Ya... ugh. I was half-asleep when I wrote that message.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:26 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 07:26 AM #33 of 51
Pretty surprised Pan's lost Best Foreign and Best Score. Also, can the Best Supporting Actress next year be a woman who actually had to act for her role?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:58 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 06:58 PM #34 of 51
I'm pretty surprised Eddie Murphy didn't get the nod for best supporting actor and that Pan's Labyrinth lost the best foreign language film. Rumor had it that Pan's Labyrinth was actually going to be nominated for best motion picture.
Oh come on, Pan's Labyrinth was not that great. I mean, I liked it very much, and yeah, it had its moments, but it's by far not an Oscar-worthy movie.

And I bet you haven't even watched The Lives of Others yet, am I right or am I right

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:06 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 10:06 AM #35 of 51
They were both great movies. No need to put down Pan's for it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 01:49 PM #36 of 51
Pretty surprised Pan's lost Best Foreign and Best Score. Also, can the Best Supporting Actress next year be a woman who actually had to act for her role?
Jennifer Hudson did . . .

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 02:24 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 11:24 AM #37 of 51
Jennifer Hudson did . . .
Let me put it this way: Had she not had any singing to do in that role, do you really think anyone would have recognized her acting ability?

Gixah
Carob Nut

Member 18951

Level 4.94

Jan 2007

Old Feb 26, 2007, 06:05 PM #38 of 51
I haven't seen The Departed yet, but now my interest has increased since this is the movie that got Scorsese his Oscar. I also attribute my surprise that the Academy was not up Eastwood's ass this year to not having seen The Departed. Letters from Iwo Jima certainly looks a lot more appealing than Flags of Our Fathers was, which I didn't care for.

Too bad Pan's Labyrinth didn't get the Best Foreign Film Oscar, then again it is the only foreign film I have seen this year. I still think Children of Men was Best Picture material, worthy of a nod at the least.

"Sweet Christmas!"
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:38 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 04:38 PM #39 of 51
I haven't seen the Oscars, but I will state two thinga I heard.

Props to Scroses for thanking Infernal Affairs, and boo to whoever decided IA was from Japan and not Hong Kong.

Racial ignorance, not to mention lazyness, 3 seconds on google would have corrected them.

FELIPE NO

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 08:54 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 06:54 PM #40 of 51
Let me put it this way: Had she not had any singing to do in that role, do you really think anyone would have recognized her acting ability?
Singing is quite different from musical acting. And considering how quite a few actors and actresses have won for musical roles before, it's not exactly unprecedented.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:17 PM #41 of 51
Singing is quite different from musical acting. And considering how quite a few actors and actresses have won for musical roles before, it's not exactly unprecedented.
Yup. It takes a certain amount of skill to make emotion come across like she did throughout the film.

How ya doing, buddy?

*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:19 PM #42 of 51
I was pulling for Pan's to win best foreign.

I actually rented The Departed last night and watched it instead of the oscars. Great movie. I was glad to later find out it won.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:02 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 07:02 PM #43 of 51
I still think every single other nominee in the category (save little Miss Breslin! =D) out-acted her. And since the award was for Best Supporting Actress, shouldn't that be what counts?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:12 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 08:12 PM #44 of 51
Well, I don't really know, the only movie I saw out of that list was Little Miss Sunshine. I'm just saying that saying that acting in a musical isn't really acting is false. It is acting, just different from dramatic.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:00 AM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 09:00 AM #45 of 51
Martin Scorsese's award was practically a Life Time Achievement award.
That's what I was thinking as well. I mean, they HAD to give it to him, anything else would have been an outrage. Maybe that kind of explains why he didn't seem to be THAT happy, too

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:20 PM #46 of 51
I'll dish out a few thoughts, bullet form

Too long, though unlike most, I enjoyed Pilobolus Dance Troupe's pointless shadow art. Sure, blame acceptance speeches for running time then pull out 50 montages and song n dance numbers from a party hat. Was the sound effects chorus really necessary?

Ellen was okay.

The Academy loves corsets.

Alan Arkin and The Departed's BP win were both both very pleasant surprises

Jennifer Hudson will probably never act again.

The announcement that attempted to connect Volver actress Penelope Cruz with Wolver-rine Hugh Jackman as they trotted on stage together was both the most creative and cringe inducing PA of the evening.

Most bummed about cinetog. How did the cinematographer of Spy Kids win over the DP behind Children of Men? Somebody needs to explain to AMPAS that Art Direction and Cinematography aren't the same damn thing.

The cut from Ennio Morricone's Italian to Ken Watanabe's confused face was priceless.

When Spielberg, Coppola, and Lucas took their first step towards the stage, Scorsese's name was practically read.

Scorsese's improve with Ellen (when she handed him the script) was brilliant - we tend to forget how good an actor he is.

In the end, though, I must ask how we got from there, to here.

Last edited by Room; Feb 27, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:29 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 03:29 PM #47 of 51
Fuck Jennifer Hudson. Hmm, a big black girl singer cast to play... a big black girl singer?! HOLY FUCK!

Rinko Kikuchi deserved that award. Her performance in Babel was fuckin' arresting. The movie on the whole was excellent, but her role was stand-out.

FELIPE NO
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] '07 Academy Awards