Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] '07 Academy Awards

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:49 PM #1 of 51
'07 Academy Awards

Nominees List

Anyone who uses the oscars as a barometer for quality is a fool, but just because we don't like it doesn't mean we can't be obsessed (see Iraq War).

So after last year's Crash, probably one of the most indefensible Best Picture wins ever (not a hyperbole), I'm reasonably excited they have two good films up for their top award. My reactions:

Pros:
- Dreamgirls/Bill Condon off the Best Pic/Nomination shortlist. Sends a big "fuck you" to hype-charlatans such as Dave Poland, who probably gets a check from Paramount every time they write about it
- Letters of Iwo Jima considered a Best Pic nominee as opposed to foreign
- Penelope Cruz's career-best caught the eyes of voters
- The Black Dahlia up for cinetog. In fact, the noms here (with exception of Children of Men) surprised me. I'm most pleased with this category
- and Ennio fucking Morricone getting the honorary statuette

Cons:
- Inland Empire absent
- Babel/Little Miss Sunshine up for anything (besides Kinkuchi's performance)
- DiCaprio nominated for the wrong picture
- Three Times not up for foreign picture
- Where is Jack Nicholson?

as an aside can anyone imagine that Click (yea, the Sandler flick) is an Oscar nominee?!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:22 PM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 09:22 PM #2 of 51
I fear Scorsese will get busted again

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:46 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 05:46 PM #3 of 51
Quote:
- Babel ... up for anything (besides Kinkuchi's performance)
Are you weeaboo, or just averse to films only one fifth English-language?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:21 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 03:21 AM #4 of 51
The main thing that surprised me was Alan Arkin's nomination for Little Miss Sunshine. Don't get me wrong, he was good, but he was only in half the movie... Steve Carell or even Toni Collette would've been better choices. Steve winning an Oscar would blow my mind. LOL.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:49 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 02:49 PM #5 of 51
Originally Posted by Musharraf
I fear Scorsese will get busted again
Same here. This time he'd actually even deserve it.

The main thing that surprised me was Alan Arkin's nomination for Little Miss Sunshine. Don't get me wrong, he was good, but he was only in half the movie... Steve Carell or even Toni Collette would've been better choices. Steve winning an Oscar would blow my mind. LOL.
Well, Anthony Hopkins and his 20 minutes on screen in Silence of the Lambs got him an academy award. Everything is relative. Arkin wasn't especially good, though. And not even the movie (Little Miss Sunshine) deserves a nomination for best picture. It was just a "viewer-friendly" audience-toe-kissing version of any Wes Anderson flick. I'm not saying it's bad at all, just not good enough.

They tried to go with the theme "diversity" this year, it seems. If I had to pick a comedy up for nomination it would have been Hard Candy. Don't know if the movie was even eligible (since it was marked down as being 2005), but that stuff was some hilarious shit.

I'm kind of saddened by Children of Men's lack of nominations so I'll be rooting for The Departed, El Laberinto del Fauno (and possibly even Babel), and Penelope Cruz's performance, which saved an otherwise mediocre movie.

And Abigail Breslin's nomination is just too cute.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Depp
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 18676

Level 1.00

Jan 2007

Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:22 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 01:22 PM #6 of 51
Babel

How can Babel be up for anything.....I mean it was alright........Just a bit flat....Certainly not Oscar Worthy.........

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 09:50 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 07:50 AM #7 of 51
There are no movies on the list as bad as Crash.

I see that at least as being a marked improvement.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:53 PM #8 of 51
Are you weeaboo, or just averse to films only one fifth English-language?
Being that I have no more interest in Japanese culture than any other country's and that I'd rank the likes of L'Enfant, 4, Volver, Three Times, and The Death of Mr. Lazarescu in last year's 10 best, I'd have to go with neither.

Regarding Amores Perros III, how many times can a director direct the same film? Babel showed little to no character insight at all, and aesthetically makes a fool of new Iranian/Japanese cinema (let's not forget the last shot and the words "For my children").

As for Little Miss Sunshine - strictly mediocre, are we really supposed to believe the academy respects the work of Dayton and Faris more than the latest from say Cuaron, Lynch, Almodovar, Altman, etc? Abigail Breslin is cute, but there was a far deeper performance seen in Shareeka Epps whose debut in Half Nelson was nothing short of spectacular. Good movie, but Best Picture nominee is a joke. Its self-conscious, self-proclaimed "this-is-an-indie" film is mildly condescending.

I echo Mikey sentiment, and if there is a so-called threat to Marty this year, I'd say it's more Inarritu than Eastwood, if only because of the similarity of "storytelling" between Babel and last year's favorite.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 04:19 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 01:19 PM #9 of 51
I don't want to give the impression that I've seen many of these, but it's a little disappointing that they give Letters a spot in the main category away from the foreign selections and not Pan's Labyrinth. I mean, Labyrinth has six total nominations in comparison to Letter's four. They could of gave it Sunshine's spot.

Oh well, at least it did get a decent amount of noms and might actually win for picture in foreign!

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:10 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 12:10 AM #10 of 51
No Borat...

quarkmac
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5038

Level 1.21

Apr 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:06 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 01:06 AM #11 of 51
i thought Sasha Cohen would get a nod after the globes...

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:39 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 01:39 AM #12 of 51
Regarding Amores Perros III, how many times can a director direct the same film? Babel showed little to no character insight at all, and aesthetically makes a fool of new Iranian/Japanese cinema (let's not forget the last shot and the words "For my children").
Unfortunately for me, I haven't seen the movie, but it looked like a marked improvement on Crash, and I rather liked the political angle. But as for your comment, well, there's always auteur theory to back him up.

Most amazing jew boots
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 01:51 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 01:51 AM #13 of 51
I honestly believe "Little Miss Sunshine" will win Best Picture.

I just have this feeling. Anyone call me on it?

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:00 AM #14 of 51
I'll just ask for more information from you about how Innaritu mocked it.
I too am not an expert, drawing from only the ~4 Irani new wave films I've seen. New Irani cinema particularly is interested in nuance, philosophy, and above all, politics, but I believe Inarritu's Babel is a large cartoon (instead of an homage) of what Iran has to offer.

Quote:
I disagree with your opinion about character insight too. He did such an amazing job showing us the Japanese girl's life
Oh but I more than agree on the Japan segment. I believe it's the strongest and richest of the three, showing how a girl becomes ridiculed and leads to thoughts of suicide due to her disconnection. Kikuchi (and I failed to mention before, but Barazza - the nanny) give very nuanced performances. However, the connect-the-dot-isms and other segments are superfluous. In fact, the fragmented storyline is not what harms the film, but I think its the storylines themselves, with their self-consciously manipulating setups, sometimes riding on ridiculous. When Gael Garcia fires that pullet in the air during the party, everyone was wondering whether or not it'd ricochet the stringed up tin cans, and enter through someone's skull. Same for the scene when he rips the head off the chicken and frightens the children. Like United 93, life is portrayed as a grim roller coaster ride, but after it's over, what did it have to say beyond the 'thrill' experience while riding it?

It's not entirely unmeriting but as with Little Miss Sunshine, I'm merely annoyed that they're getting so much undeserved recognition, when at least a dozen more American films this year - Inland Empire, Miami Vice, A Prairie Home Companion, even Perfume and Apocalypto I think are far more daring.

Though I too am dismayed, it's not at all a surprise to see Sacha Boren Cohen's omittance. I find it a slap in the face that Borat is up for "best adapted screenplay" as if to suggest the majority of the film is fiction.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:10 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 11:10 PM #15 of 51
Though I too am dismayed, it's not at all a surprise to see Sacha Boren Cohen's omittance. I find it a slap in the face that Borat is up for "best adapted screenplay" as if to suggest the majority of the film is fiction.
I think you mean to say, "as if there was a screenplay."

FELIPE NO
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:42 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 12:42 AM #16 of 51
I find it a slap in the face that Borat is up for "best adapted screenplay" as if to suggest the majority of the film is fiction.
The only slap in the face you should concern yourself with is that DiCaprio is up for Blood Diamond and NOT for The Departed.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:46 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 11:46 PM #17 of 51
The only slap in the face you should concern yourself with is that DiCaprio is up for Blood Diamond and NOT for The Departed.
I'm sure he did a nice job in Blood Diamond, but could it really have been any better than he did in The Departed? Even if they were virtually even performances, you've got to give the nod to the better movie, which is, without a doubt, The Departed. =/

Most amazing jew boots
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 03:55 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 12:55 AM #18 of 51
I never really thought about it that way, but it makes a bunch of sense. Huh.

Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:45 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 03:45 PM #19 of 51
I'm sure he did a nice job in Blood Diamond, but could it really have been any better than he did in The Departed? Even if they were virtually even performances, you've got to give the nod to the better movie, which is, without a doubt, The Departed. =/
Why give the prize for the better movie when the prize is for an acting performance. He did a great job on both movies, learning a new accent for both roles, etc. But the main character of Blood Diamond was such a complex role to execute, that I'm still amazed how he managed to do it well WITH the weird mid/south-African accent.

I personally think he should be up in the nominees for both of the roles. What I DON'T know is that should he win the award or not, since I haven't seen the other four nominees in their respective films.

Room
Wark!

Member 12411

Level 7.77

Sep 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:41 PM #20 of 51
I think you mean to say, "as if there was a screenplay."
That's another way to put it. While there were scripted elements, practically the whole film was improvised in character (I'm arguing it should be placed under Best Original Screenplay). I think Jim Emerson puts it best when he states "what was the movie supposed to be "adapted" from? Life?"

[quote=The only slap in the face you should concern yourself with is that DiCaprio is up for Blood Diamond and NOT for The Departed.[/quote]
Definitely (I lamented this in post 1). We're getting slapped all over the place. The Departed had a handful of this year's best male performances, yet only one's up for Academy recognition. Their over-sight must have something to do with the cranberry juice they all seem to be imbibing in large doses.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:56 PM #21 of 51
Omg I really hope Best Cinematography goes to Children of Men. Beautiful beautiful film. It's like they made something ugly and scary into a beautiful work of art. I'm definitely excited about that! I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet but from the trailer and the still shots, I wouldn't mind them winning either.

I'm happy to see Kate Winslet nominated for Best Actress, but I'm pretty sure it will go to either Judi Dench or Mirren. I would actually like to see Dench win it.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:22 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2007, 01:22 AM #22 of 51
Little Miss Sunshine owns filmed close to my house. I just want that to win

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:22 PM #23 of 51
The nominations, now that I can finally view them, seem fairly even. None of them stand out as anything undeserved, except for Meryll Streep's nomination for "The Devil Wears Prada". Don't get me wrong, it was probably a funny enough film, but Meryll Streep could read from the Betty Crocker Cookbook with cameras rolling and earn an Oscar nomination because the Academy has a long history of overrating her.

What disappoints me is that there was no nominations for "Thank You for Smoking". That was a well done, interesting and highly original film. Even if you ignore the acting, at least the Screenplay was well deserving of a nod.

Little Miss Sunshine, it was alright, not as funny as people said. A cutesy film. If anyone from that movie should've received a nomination, it should've been the kid who played Duane, the silent Nihilist. Most interesting character in the whole movie.

FELIPE NO
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:10 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 11:10 AM #24 of 51
Dammit. Now Scorscese will get an Oscar for a movie that just doesn't deserve it.
Why isn't Nicholson there? Because he hasn't done jackshit this year that would've been Oscar-worthy. If anyone now mentions his perfomance on The Departed I will laugh in his face. I'm still not sure wether that was Jack Nicholson or Jack Black doing an impersonation of Jack Nicholson.
And yes, it was Nicholson who ruined this movie, which is pretty good otherwise.
So my bets are on Scorcese for best director, best picture Babel, best actor diCaprio, best actress Mirren.

How ya doing, buddy?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:29 AM #25 of 51
Now that the results are in, it's time to revive the tread for a spot of discussion.

Reactions?

I was thrilled that Scorsese won his Oscar; much better than getting a tacky honorary award. His speech, which referred to all the people who wanted him to win, was nice too. "The Departed" winning best picture was a mild upset as far as I was concerned, but whatever.

I was horrified that Babel won Best Score, but I knew it was coming. Now Santaolalla has more Oscars than Bernstein, Goldsmith, and Horner The Best Song was a real shocker too--Dreamgirls unseated by An Inconvenient Truth! Good to see Ennio get an award, though, even if Eastwood had to translate for him.

I was really surprised at how limp Ellen's schtick was; she wasn't a terribly great host. Will Farrell and Jack Black's comedy song, Jerry Seinfeld's introduction, and the bit with Lucas, Spielberg, and Coppola were the comdy highlights of the night, for me.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] '07 Academy Awards