Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 03:55 PM #1 of 3592
While I have no issues with the PSP or PS3 (Or any Sony one for that matter) interface in question, I have to mention that the 360's UI is hardly bloated garbage like Cetra seems to believe.

The Dashboard for the 360 is intuitive, simple, and easy to use. It's actually QUITE similar to the XMB interface. Major menu items are accessed through a horizontally scrolling menu. Sub items are accessed vertically from there. Both the PSP and 360 have customizable wallpapers. The PS3 looks like it has customizable and personal profiles, much like the 360 has. From a pure usability standpoint, they are both pretty fucking good, and actually quite similar.

There might be technical differences and a different sort of system for dealing with buddies and such things, but the 360 solution to this is quite elegant and usable. I'd like to know why you think it's bloated garbage, Cetra.

And the 360's Blade system has probably gotten just as much praise as the PSX's. It's hard to find people who don't like it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:35 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 08:35 PM #2 of 3592
"Game Trailers" is a filter for the video content. Certain videos do not show up on that page that show up on the other Videos option. You want to look at just game trailers? That's what you pick. You want to view that addidas commercial you downloaded? That's under the "Videos" option.

The same goes for all the Live options, those are merely filters or methods for browsing through the content. You can search for stuff by game, genre, or how new the content is. With two button presses, I can find the newest items on Live. I don't have to find a game list and scroll through it, find a specific game and then check it to see if there is anything new there.

The other options are similar. I can search for just gamerpics, if I want, or just new trailers, or what have you. These are nothing more than search parameters.

I dunno about you, but being able to search a vast amount of content for something that I specifically want is pretty appealing, as opposed to having to go through it manually.

But hey, why have convience, it's redundant, right?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:14 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 09:14 PM #3 of 3592
No kidding, Stealth. Good work missing the point.

Lemme spell it out for you. Having options that one can use to search for specific media is not a bad thing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:30 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:30 AM #4 of 3592
Can someone tell me why the Warhawk trailer is almost selling me on the entire concept of this 600 dollar box all by itself?

And I don't know why anyone is holding their breath for Sonic games in this day and age. Come on boys. You can't STILL think that Sonic Team can pull something good out of their ass these days, can you?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:52 AM #5 of 3592
I agree wholeheartedly with that. If the E3 vids were this interesting, I might have cared enough to put aside some serious scratch for a PS3 at launch too. But now it is too late!. ;____;

I was speaking idiomatically.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:00 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 02:00 AM #6 of 3592
Well, up here in Canadaland it's a slightly different story. Many places are not taking preorders at all, so it would become a camping game if I managed to get a bit of scratch saved up. But as far as places that take preorders go, this shit is LONG gone.

Since the $500 dollar model makes sense now that it's not a compeltely crippled unit, I'll agree that it sounds like the model to get. The lack of HDMI was really the only issue that it had anyway, and that's fixed.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:10 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 12:10 PM #7 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
I'm gonna have to check out the new Warhawk trailer. If it's making Skills consider a PS3, it's gotta be worth seeing.
Ahaha, I come off as that anti-Sony? I have to apologize for that. Of all the systems in my current collection, my PS2 enjoys the largest percent of games I own by a LARGE margin. (My 99 PS2 games is something like 19.5 percent of my entire collection). So I'm no anti-fanboy and I'd like to apoligze if I come off like that.

In my own defense, I was planning on getting a unit at launch up until they announced the initial shipment numbers. It was bad enough with the 360, but something like this would be worse and a lot more hellish to put up with. Especially since EB and such up here isn't taking preorders at all, no trade in deals or nothing.

But yeah. Warhawk. Hot. What did you think? I'm just pumped for 32 player online with that and landing and getting out of the aircraft and basically how fucking huge the maps are. That could be such a riot it's not even funny.

As for the cases, they could do without that large plastic bar (for lack of a better word) at the top of them there. Still, they look worlds better than the older mockups.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:19 PM #8 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Skills, which Warhawk trailer is? The one from GC 2006?
No, the new TGS one:
http://anon.psjp.speedera.net/anon.p.../h_warhawk.wmv

That, combined with the "Behind the Scenes" stuff from the official site has me pretty excited. The multiplayer capabilities is what's getting me going. (And because I'm a faggot for air combat games).

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Well that's no surprise, considering the PS2 has 3 to 4 times more games than any other current system. Glad they made the boxart different from Blu Ray movies.
Well, that's a not entirely fair thing to say. While there are more games on the PS2, yes, there is also a larger amount of crap on it too. I still prefer the best of the cube's titles above most of what the PS2 has to offer. (Hell, Prime is my favorite game of this last generation. Period.)

The real reason I own that many has nothing to do with how many the PS2 has, but because I resigned to getting most multiplatform stuff for the PS2, if I had a choice.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 01:38 PM #9 of 3592
You're welcome. I just hope that those MASSIVE air battles that you see in the trailer against all those capital ships are available in some sort of online mode. Like one team of 16 tries to defend those while another 16 try to destroy them all or something. That'd be some serious shit.

No details like that exist though, as far as I can tell. Hopefully the official site will have more available shortly.

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 12:32 PM #10 of 3592
Another 100, not 50.

It's just that, unlike the 360, the shit included in the premium package this time around is completely useless.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:25 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 02:25 PM #11 of 3592
I can't see myself EVER using the flash memory reader, to be honest. Whoopee? I can use my PSP memory card or the CF from a digital camera for...what? I dunno. Probably nothing terribly interesting. Just like how I don't use the PSP memory card for anything outside of game saves either.

And I doubt I'll use up much space at all on the hard drive. My 360 is close to a year old now and I've used up....maybe 150 megs or something in saves? I dunno, I'd have to look. Then close to another 750 MBs for DLC over however many games? Assuming that the saves and shit that goes onto the PS3 hard drive are of even remotely similar size, I can't imagine myself using up too much HDD space unless I get something like an MMO.

And I suppose the built in wi-fi is the greatest argument for it. Every room in my apartment is wired for ethernet, so I don't have to worry about that myself. But this is the only practical component that might be important for GAMING with the machine.

And you forgot the HOT CHROME TRIM. (lol)

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 02:37 PM #12 of 3592
Metal Sphere said above that they will be swapable, yes.

And is running ethernet through the baseboards really that geeky anymore? Don't tell me I'm alone, guys. ;_;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:50 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 03:50 PM #13 of 3592
Soldier: Your wireless set up is the same basic thing here. Instead of running an ethernet cable to a wireless adaptor, you'd just be using the built in wireless of the PS3.

Slayer: Ahahaha, what? Wifi isn't "better" at all as far as pure speed or anything goes. It's slower than 10/100 ethernet, and WAY slower than gigabit LAN.

If you're going to talk about the speed of one's internet connection, you're right. But then again they could be using 802.11b and not notice a difference in their broadband speeds. Everyone should know this by now.

If you mean it's "better" simply because you don't have to trip over cables or take ten minutes to run them through the house, I guess that's true. But it's not "better" than an elegant wired solution in performance by any stretch, especially for a console that won't be moving around a lot and basically be sitting on your home theater rack for a number of years.

But if you're going to use the PS3's media connectivity features (which you seem keen on) by connecting it to your home network, the wired solution would be both more reliable and faster.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Sep 24, 2006 at 04:54 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 03:58 PM #14 of 3592
Well, you went around touting it as "better", and I'm asking what you mean by that. It's not. It's often the simpler solution and has no real downsides outside of LAN speeds, but it's hardly "better". If you're going to say such a thing, you should expect someone to call you on it, that's all.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:07 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 04:07 PM #15 of 3592
I have no issue with having both options present. I am just correcting your mistake. You misunderstand me, sir.

We should avoid derailing this any farther though.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2006, 09:41 PM #16 of 3592
Although I fully agree with you there Jacky, that argument doesn't hold a lot of weight around here. Most people shrug it off or flat out ignore it. The primary draw of this place for a lot of people is music piracy, after all.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 12:13 AM #17 of 3592
He's probably refering to your Dominican Republic flag.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:27 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 12:27 PM #18 of 3592
Oh, that's HARSH. I'll have to ask Sherry about that when I go in today. Campers be damned.

I wonder how the EBs will handle this at launch day. For the 360's launch, the EB I go to now had set up 10 minute appointments for all the people who preordered. You'd go in and get your unit and then leave. One person in the store at a time. Prevented a lot of shit from happening, that's for sure.

Double Post:
Quote:
and all of which are superior to any 360 game to date.
I love fanboy statements like this. Unless you've had hands on time with all those games on your list and EVERY 360 game, you're speaking out your fucking ass.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 12, 2006 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:15 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 01:15 PM #19 of 3592
It's still a baseless argument, since many of the 360 games we're playing now, are things we're actually PLAYING. You go back and look at the trailers for things like Full Auto and many other 360 titles, you'll see that they don't look ANYTHING like they are made out to be. I'm willing to bet good money that many titles on your list there aren't going to be as visually mindblowing as you're making them out to be.

Things like Full Auto 2, for example. The screens look like a slightly spiffed up version of the first game. But the first game looked NOTHING like the preliminary screens we got for it. It didn't play like we were all going to assume it did either. I'm willing to bet the same situation is going to happen for most of the early PS3 games.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 12, 2006 at 02:18 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 02:24 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 01:24 PM #20 of 3592
You could have just posted this to get the same idea across:

Most amazing jew boots
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:09 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 08:09 PM #21 of 3592
Spat, the point of those being posted is that THAT is what your first generation PS3 stuff is going to look like for the most part. It's not going to be worlds above what the 360 is doing right now. Slayer would have you believing something else though.

Metal Sphere, thanks for the impressions. Considering your eye for detail and technical knowledge, impressions coming from you are worth 10 times that coming from most others.

A shame some of those other games weren't playable. That would be have nice to try those. Can't say I'm too surprised at the issues you mentioned, however.

I am curious though, would they really use such an old build to show the games and hardware off at this stage of the game? You'd think that they would use the latest code possible. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what the final product looked like.

Still, interesting. I'm still considering getting one of these things at launch, but my local EB said they were getting only 2 units in at launch. And knowing us, probably about 20 people will be lined up this sunday night to take the preorders. We'll see if I even bother.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:53 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 09:53 PM #22 of 3592
Man, lemme see if I can explain how internet forums work. You're getting picked on because people rip apart senseless fanboy statements. Ask BZ, he gets just as much flak for the silly things he says. Same goes for Grub.

But why you're getting picked on is not the issue. This is derailment by this point and we should drop it.

Sphere: Neat pics once again, but man, why pick Fantavision of all things to show off. Some serious lol right there.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 09:57 PM #23 of 3592
From left to right: CompactFlash, SD/miniSD cards, and Memory Stick Pro/Pro Duo slots.

You've probably seen these in cameras before. The MS Pro Duos are also used in PSPs. Photos of each:

CF:

SD:

Basically looks like a DS game.

MS Pro:

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 12, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:39 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 08:39 PM #24 of 3592
If you're interested in flOw, you can play it here.

It's an interesting concept and thesis, but I wonder if any of it is going to change for the PS3 or not. (It could stand to have a bit more substance to it.)

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:13 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 05:13 PM #25 of 3592
Ah, so flOw HAS changed a bit, albeit just graphically, and the background music is nicer. Good find, Slayer.

I am curious though if it's going to have a score, or end to it, or anything of that nature. I know that people like us are interested in it as an idea and everything, but the average joe schmoe might not get it if it has no definable goals.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Oct 17, 2006 at 06:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread