Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:43 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 03:43 PM #1 of 3592
PS3 to be region-free for games

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

I don't know how much this will affect the wider gaming population, but especially for folks like us, many of whom are collectors, it means we can own any game, from any part of the world, without having to mess with modchips or warranty-voiding.

Quote:
The one caveat of this new region-free structure is that games made for specific regions' electrical and TV standards may have problems on your TV set. A PAL PS3 game, for instance, will have difficulty running on an NTSC TV, unless the developers have thought ahead and planned for that issue. It is currently unknown how the PS3 will cope with this problem (whether there will be a warning when you run an import about possible TV incompatibility, or if possibly there might be a no-play screen for incompatible games depending on your PS3's TV settings.)
Which, more than likely, won't be a problem for the majority of large release games. I expect only some of the smaller studios to be lax in this department.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 06:10 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2007, 06:10 PM #2 of 3592
Does anyone have any details on one of the lost launch titles, Metronome? I was pretty excited about it because it used that kind of German expressionist art style similar to Nightmare Before Christmas, and it was an adventure title, too.

I was surprised that PS3 was leading off with an adventure game, but then I stopped hearing about it, and it doesn't look to have a release date yet.

Most amazing jew boots
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:30 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2007, 03:30 AM #3 of 3592
I wonder if Lair's release date was made to coincide with this. It would make sense to roll out one of their killer aps as soon as the price drops.

Personally, I bought a PS3 because my PS2 was just about to fail completely on me, and I figured I'd been a good enough boy that I could see how next gen home video looks.

Resistance is...okay, but nothing we've never seen before. When I'd rather play Super Stardust and Full Auto 2, there's really no question I've been let down as a game consumer.

(Speaking of which, whatever happened to Metronome? I thought it was pretty ambitious to have an adventure title as a launch title too. Maybe a little too ambitious.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:31 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2007, 12:31 PM #4 of 3592
At the same time, a 150% price increase is still a 150% price increase. Over at cheap ass gamer they talk all the time about the price hurdle, where getting PS3s to the consumers isn't a matter of what they can offer to them so much as being able to compensate for the sticker shock. (That means lowering the sticker price.)

Consider me cautiously optimistic at this point.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:16 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 10:16 PM #5 of 3592
Lair - August 14thI really don't know what to think of this game. I know some people on these forums have been saying it's incredible, but for some reason I'm just a little uncertain. Whatever happened to that demo that was supposed to come out like 2 weeks ago?
Incidentally, Cheapass Gamer had a special up recently on overstock.com for Lair at $38.xx. A few people said they weren't going to pick it up because they wanted to wait for reviews.

I'm kinda in the same position. I like how it looks, but I wasn't as big a fan as other people of the Rogue Squadron games, so I'm wondering how well the gameplay will turn out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:58 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2007, 10:58 PM #6 of 3592
Oh hell yeah. It took me a couple playthroughs (15 minutes max lolin') but I finally got the counter system nailed down. Are the cinematic ones just kinda...picked at random? I mean, sometimes the camera would zoom in and you'd get this nice close-up death scene and other times it would happen from the normal perspective. Either way, bonus.
I think that's the aftertouch, isn't it? I remember seeing something about using the sixaxis to control the camera during the aftertouch segments.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 01:13 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2007, 01:13 AM #7 of 3592
So in general, does Warhawk have a realistic Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2 edge to it, or is the combat more arcade-like?

I was really disappointed to see that Warhawk dropped the single player, too. I wish they'd just kept the aerial missions for SP and then had the on-foot and other vehicles in MP. Frankly I'd gladly have spent an extra $20 for a single player campaign.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2007, 02:55 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2007, 02:55 AM #8 of 3592
Has anyone played GripShift 2.0? After reading the premise of the game I'm really interested in it, but I didn't know if anyone else felt justified spending $10 on it.

Also, can't decide whether to get Symphony of the Night on PSN or wait until 360 gets a price drop and get it on XBL. I mean, I have the disc already, it's just...so good. (Plus my disc has scratches)

The more I play Heavenly Sword demo, the more I look forward to that game. Honestly when I played through God of War, I never got this excited about where I was going or why I should care about Kratos and his grumpy face.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 01:13 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2007, 01:13 AM #9 of 3592
Brandish and RotK are quality, so you can't bash the shit out of them entirely. Dynasty Warriors is a total love it or hate it kinda deal too.

They lose a hell of a lot of respect for junk like Winback though, so I'll give you that.
Hey, man, Winback was like a poor man's Gears of War. I used to love that game simply because of the cover system.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 09:22 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 09:22 PM #10 of 3592
ah snap. TWO DEMOS THIS IS UNHEARD OF.
Downloading GRAW2...well...whenever the update goes up I guess.
Dude...and Super Rub-A-Dub for 2.99? I'll bite. That demo was a lot of fun to play.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:47 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2007, 11:47 PM #11 of 3592
So...it looks like Lair is taking a pounding from reviewers so far, and all seem to be focused on the controls.

What say you, PS3 owners? Are you going to get it and try it yourself, or rent/play a demo first?

I just keep having this nagging feeling that everybody's missing some function of the gameplay that allows the controls to respond better. It doesn't make sense for them to have come this far and not to have gotten the actual gameplay part right.

At any rate, I'm glad I never preordered. Hopefully Heavenly Sword will feel like a much more satisfying purchase.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread