Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 11:58 AM #1 of 3592
Yeah, this is likely an emulation and hardware issue. The EE+GS in PS2 slim was already incompatable with several PSone and PS2 games. Note that many of the incompatabilities were caused by the realization of one chip for graphics and processing duties in the slim PS2. The issues were not because of emulation, because nothing was emulated. The new hardware was different from the old PS2 hardware, and obviously something changed in the way certain instructions were executed or read. This is probably the same issue that is showing up in the PS3 only compounded. The PSone titles are emulated though. PS2 titles are run natively on PS2 hardware within the PS3.

edit

That's another reason why it's so damned big.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 03:26 PM #2 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
Without a doubt these are issues that can largely be fixed with firmware updates. Plus consider the situation. We are talking thousands of games, some only showing the problems midway though play. It just isn't possible for Sony to playtest all of these games to find all of the BC problems for the launch. Fortunately, unlike the PS2, the PS3 can be updated to fix these problems once they are found by the general public.
Yeah, the PS3 can be updated through firmware. But there is only so much you can do by updating firmware. You should'nt count on them being able to fix it through firmware. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. You can change alot about an electronic system through the firmware, but you can't necessarily change the way a game is processed or how a processor chip may function.

My guess is that they MIGHT be able to fix SOME of these incompatabilities through firmware, and surely they can when they begin emulating the games and getting rid of the EE+GS Dragon chip. But I wouldn't count on them fixing many of these problems with a firmware update.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 03:55 PM #3 of 3592
Really, I wasn't aware that the Dragon chip was a DSP. If it is I would tend to agree with you. I didn't locate any evidence of this online. I didn't look that hard either, though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2006, 03:48 PM #4 of 3592
I will stop referring to the PS3 as a video game console. It has definitely set itself apart from a console with such advanced features and configurations. From what I have read the past three weeks and from you guys, this is not a console, but PC.

To me, this isn't necessarily a good thing. Although it is interesting.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread