Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:15 PM #1 of 3592
I would vote rape mostly. :biggrin:

But the word "LIVE" when used with streaming video.... ummmm.... well basically it is used very liberally.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:19 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:19 PM #2 of 3592
Personally I wish there was an audio feed. I care more about what is announced/said then seeing the ubEr-graFixs!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:39 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:39 PM #3 of 3592
Let's see how many of us can comment on how the music sounds more like sizzling bacon than pleasing music.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:44 PM #4 of 3592
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
I think we should of had a seperate Sony E3 thread for the duration of the conference which could be deleted after the conference ended how about it Acer??
I agree with this. Let's own a thread to 50 pages commenting on the show then delete it when we're done!!! Or at least close it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:51 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:51 PM #5 of 3592
Thread going to hell?!?!? We're not spamming here, just killing time waiting like Kojima and the rest of the gaming world.

Of course these thread replies have about as much significant content as this horrid music.

I was speaking idiomatically.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 09:10 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 08:10 PM #6 of 3592
Well. Onto afterthoughts.

Pretty much what I expected.

High-end PC graphics (and a bit better generally speaking).
Check.

Same gameplay stuff (not boring, just not "wow").
Check.

Gimmicky stuff (Eyetoy specifically, also PSP "rearview mirror", and in-game store to rape my VISA card).
Check.

Support from all the big money-makers/franchises (EA, SqEnix, Kojima, etc.)
Check.

VERY high price ($500 minimum).
Check.

Surprises? Obviously the tilt controller gimmick/ripoff/tacked-on/half-assed thing.

Does that sum it up?!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 09:21 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 08:21 PM #7 of 3592
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
You forgot something:

People that take videogames way too seriously bitching about everything.
Check.
There was no bitching in that post.

Only a summation. (though I admit my opinion isn't lacking in what I wrote)

How ya doing, buddy?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 09:38 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 08:38 PM #8 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
Wow, this just in, the $499 model doesn't have an HDMI output, internal Wi-Fi or memory card slots.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele...f/060509ae.pdf
I think you just dropped a BIG bomb.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 10:19 PM #9 of 3592
I make no qualms about it.... I am a Nintendo fan. Always have been, and if they continue as they have been I will continue to be. I usually don't visit the Sony forums as such, because I don't have a Sony console. But this is a new generation of consoles and so Sony has a chance a getting my dollar because I am not closeminded.

But this isn't about Nintendo, or even Sony... This is about games. I have always wanted to buy a PS2. It's got great games, a huge catalog of em (especially if you count PSX games). I've never bought one though because of two reasons.
1. Too much money
2. Graphics that just didn't justify the cost to me. (not that the graphics are crap, just not quite good enough cause I HATE so much aliasing and poor textures)

But here is the bottom line: Am I willing to pay this much for these games?
The answer is NO. MGS4, FFXIII, and every other third party game will be ported when this thing flops because it is too dang expensive. And I shouldnt say flops because it will have a market.

High-end entertainment center hob-nobs. And how big is that market? It's big but not THAT big. I almost guarentee that this thing will sell out of the 400,000-800,000 or so units coming to the US alone for the fact that it is a Bluray player.

Remember how people are buying the PSP more for the protable screen (video, audio, net, photoviewer, etc.) than for the games? PS3 repeats this idea.

So I won't be buying the PS3. And in fact I have no desire to, unlike with the PS2 at launch.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 10:38 PM #10 of 3592
Originally Posted by Stealth
Quite honestly though, I probably won't buy on til the price drop.
That is EXACTLY my point. If you think only a small portion of people will be of this mindset, you are mistaken. Money matters. People have options. When you are getting into the range of $500+, for ONLY the console, you are competing against other high dollar items. Motorcycles, HDTV's, Boats, ATV's. I mean this is not just a toy or fun-machine. This is a "Entertainment Console". To buy this you need to be serious about gaming (aka hardcore).

Dispite what you think you know, there are less of these kinds of people than you think. And the "winner" of the console generations is NOT decided by them.

MGS4 won't be ported.
MGS1 has been. Resident Evil has been. And if PS3 sells as poorly as I'm willing to bet it does, you will see it. They won't lose the millions they poor into it.

On one final note, I really think game prices for this system will go beyond $59. I really think that grade AAA titles will go for $69-79. If for no other reason than economics. Less systems sold (fewer people can afford them) = less games sold. So the difference is made up in the cost of the games. Just an early prediction. We shall see...

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:16 PM #11 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
Developers flock to the system with the most potential profit.
Gamers flock to the system with the most developers.
This is how it works, and the only way it works.
You are correct. But this is the question that is most up for debate. If you notice, this new generation is getting ALOT of cross-development already, and the systems aren't even out. EA is cross-releasing, SqEnix is, all the majors and most of the minors are. So this is generally a moot point.

You say developers flock to the system with the most potential profit yes? Just because the PS3 has the best graphics we've ever seen doesn't mean that it will sell millions. Again, economics and disposible income are in major play here. With the system costing sooooo much, how much will be left over to buy games when you already squeezed out $600 this holiday season? That isn't good for developers no matter how you look at it. Not only that, these uber-games cost ALOT to even make. That was one of the major reasons that studios went with PSX instead of N64, costs/risks were too high. Same applies here.

System price will have little effect on the result as shown with the PS2 and Gamecube. At even $200 more the PS2 still flew off the shelves compared to the Gamecube. Why?
Many reasons, but most importantly the format that is widely know as DVD. DVD players cost alot back in the day, and PS2 had one. That was a MAJOR selling point for the system. It still carries over some even today.

"all that matters is if the consumer perceives the system as being worth the cost."
That is dead on. Is Bluray worth the cost? Is the PC+ graphics worth the cost? To some (high-end home theater owners) yes. To others (parents with kids, high schoolers with limited income, college students with the same, etc.) hell no.

With the best graphics this generation, the most features, and Blu-Ray playback ability, I doubt Sony will have much trouble getting these things to sell. Seriously people, if you don't think the financial decision makers at Sony don't understand all of this, you need to take some basic financial classes.
Don't bank too much on bluray. I have an HDTV, and honestly I'm not even excited for HD movies. Why? 'Cause the movies cost $30 when I can buy a $15 DVD and be just as happy. Not to mention I would have to buy a freaking $600 player to get it to look good w/ a digital connection. That's ridiculous.

And for your information, I have a minor in business so I did take the classes and I work in marketing/strategic planning all the time. I'm not a ignorant whelp.

The house of cards is crashing down.....

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:33 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:33 PM #12 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Resident Evil 4 has been. Viewtiful Joe has been. That tired excuse for exclusivity has gone by the wayside.

In part, you're right Dayvon. $500+ could buy someone a good piece of merchandise. But take a look at the demographics -- the average gamer is a 28 year old male, if I remember correctly. I'd imagine that most 28 year old guys are either fairly recently out of college or have been in the workforce for about a decade, possibly at the same job. Assuming that, it's likely they've got enough capacity and earning power to save up for a PS3. Hell, I'm 23 and I've got enough earning power to buy a PS3.

Then there's also this -- the PS3 will almost assuredly be a major catalyst for high-def entertainment. If someone's iffy about buying a high-def TV because they don't know how much they'll use it, the PS3 will give them enough reason to upgrade; both PS3 games and Blu-Ray movies will likely be the reasons a large majority of gamers upgrade to high-def if they haven't already.

The PS3 will sell out worldwide, no question. People will just be a little peeved they had to drop so much money. Although I don't know -- with so many people disappointed about not having preordered their Xbox 360's and now waiting forever to get one, maybe people will learn their lesson and preorder the PS3, and pay on it slowly. That would certainly make the overhead cost seem much less severe.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but high-def is overrated. If you don't believe me, hit different forums that deal in HD and DVD video formats. (www.avsforum.com, www.doom9.org, www.HTPCnews.com) These are the people that are videophiles. And many of them are excited, but about half of em are super skeptical and not wanting to spend there dollars. High-def will NOT come in like DVD, and that is a promise. It will not be an overnight hit, and the format war alone could gimp Sony for this.

The PS3 will sell out this christmas though. Supply and demand. There are alot of people with money to burn and guarenteed not enough PS3's to match (4 milions worldwide by Dec31st.... skeptical). But there are so many more millions who don't have that to burn. And they will either buy nothing or buy something they can afford. And as time passes and the other systems sell more through simply because of a drastically lowered price, Sony will not lead.

Basically think of it like this. Target -vs- Walmart. Cadillac -vs- Chevy. Abercrombie -vs- Gap. Upper class -vs- lower class.

PS3 -vs- Wii. This is the future of gaming. Similar products + different costs = Class gaming.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:50 PM #13 of 3592
Well here's the problem. You speak as it hasn't happened yet. Based on the huge development support for the PS3, developers have already decided the cost to risk ratio for the PS3 is low enough. All of the huge budget flagship projects are already being made for the PS3. This is more than enough proof that developers already believe the PS3 will be the system that will offer them the highest potential of profit.
Developers long made there choice before this ship sailed tonight. You think all the game developers knew the prices? You think SqEnix/EA/etc knew the PS3 was going to cash in at $500+? And more importantly, do think these games can't easily be downgraded for X360 or Wii?

I have no question that PS3 will have some of the best games and some exclusives (for a while...) but that will only last as long as Sony's train keeps rolling. And tonight, I think it might have hit a derail. Sony as a whole company has been losing the fight within themselves (financial reports anyone?) and this PS3 launch IS a last ditch effort. They need bluray to hit majorly big, and they need everyone to buy this console so they can keep in the black. They are banking all their money (they don't have) on this. (Sony's Battle) If people start to smell blood in the water, business will run to other pastures, and then you will see a fiasco.

I was speaking idiomatically.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:56 PM #14 of 3592
You're an idiot if you think PS3 will fail. It's not like in a few years, we won't have price cuts.
LOL. Proves my point exactly. You and everyone else will wait. And games won't sell. And Sony will lose support. PS3 will be niche-highend gaming.

You can say bye-bye to widest console base. That is a promise.

Most amazing jew boots
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:19 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:19 AM #15 of 3592
MGS4 won't be ported.

I think some people are overreacting. PS3 will still sell well, regardless what the Nintendo trolls would have you believe.

Dual Shock is a solid design, I'm not complaining.
You're an idiot if you think PS3 will fail. It's not like in a few years, we won't have price cuts.
Yeah, because nobody paid $1000 for an Xbox.

Stop your bitching.
Judging from the intelligently supported content in your last four posts, I deem your comments on my thoughts completely unfounded, baseless, irrelevant, and mindless. You will no long receive any of my attention, and I hope for other posters' sakes, you will be ignored by all.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by TheReverend; May 9, 2006 at 01:22 AM.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:24 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:24 AM #16 of 3592
I'm not the only one...

EDIT:

Just saw your post. Thank you for actually placing thoughts to a post. I like it.

Maybe I am overreacting a bit. But I really do think that Sony has so much riding on this... This is shit-hitting-the-fan time. They needed this to be IT. The Ultimate, with no hesitation. Cause if it's not, then most people WONT spring for it.

If Nintendo pulls out a great morning conference, and MS pulls out some Halo magic, Sony is gonna be smelling crap coming its way.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by TheReverend; May 9, 2006 at 01:29 AM.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:13 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:13 AM #17 of 3592
One thing we should probably clarify....

Sony won't "fail" this generation. It's not like pS3 is not going to sell. It will. They have some exclusives and quite possibly the best graphics until DirectX 10 and Windows Vista.

But, Sony won't be the most owned console. They will not have the larger consumer base that they had this last generation. It will be the game console that everyone "wishes" they had.

I'm telling you guys, this is the generation that will introduce class game. Hardcore -vs- casual. Hardcore will sell like 5-10 million consoles (in US), and casual will sell inifinitely more. Microsoft will capitalize on this, as well as Nintendo. All that we've had til now will change....

Most amazing jew boots
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 06:55 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 05:55 PM #18 of 3592
Originally Posted by Inhert
the problem you don't see is that to have a game with so beautiful real-time 3D graphic, you need this blu-ray disc, otherwise the game would fit on like what 5 dvd >.>

i'm not saying that it's the blu-ray that does the performance, but heh the game does take a lot of space now for those graphic and game content >.>
You would be right about this except for a couple things.

Most games are only now starting to actually use a whole single-layer DVD (aka Oblivion at 4.18GB). I don't see how 4-9GB isn't enough for ANY game. It's true that HD video pre-rendered cutscenes will take up alot of space. But if game studios would actually implement good video codecs (e.g. AVC/H.264), then there is nothing to worry over size, even if they stupidly use the HUGE pre-rendered scenes.

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 02:54 PM #19 of 3592
Are any of you guys having the scaling issues? As in, 1080p games/content is downscaled to 480p when your TV can only accept 720p/1080i? I heard a bit about that and was wondering if that was a common issue.

Also, just a curious question here, how many of the PS3 owners here have HDTVs?

How ya doing, buddy?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread