Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 06:30 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 10:00 AM #1 of 3592
This is awsome that the PS3 is now region free. Although the main reason I think behind Sony doing it was so they could crack down on modchips. They were ruled legal in Australia due to the region locks. This is great for all those who do buy imports, but bad for the rest, though I don't see Sony doing anything with the main problem which is in China, since well....what do they care.

And I don't see publishers going out to release games with translations on them just because of this, especially in the Japanese market. A few would import from that market but that number is extremely minor. The greatest effect this would have is probably the European market, where games are usually delayed forever due to translations of 5+ languages, but now people who understand English can import from the US.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 03:24 PM #2 of 3592
I remeber the PS1 when released in Australia was in the AU$750 range (and back then CD players did not cost that much). So I would not be surprised by the time PS3 reaches here it's gonna cost AU$1000. Now who the hell would get a console system at that price is beyond me. But since there will be so little of these initially, I can see all the Sony fans snapping these at that price or even beyond at release time and there will probably be shortages which may/not work for/against Sony by generating more hype.

I'll wait till the 2nd/3rd generation before I pick mine up which hopefully by then costs a lot less and also hardware bugs are mostly ironed out.

Most amazing jew boots
wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:27 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 05:57 PM #3 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
I think you mean the PS2. The PS2 was $750 AU, or $1000 NZ. And trust me, there was a large portion of people who purchased a PS2 for that price. It's idiotic to pay that much, but if you really can't wait until Sony have improved on their next generation console, ironing out bugs and issues, you get what you pay for.
Maybe, but I still remember the PS1 being priced at around that range which was 3 times or more than the SNES in those days. As for bugs in Sony's console I know plenty of people which got the V4 PS2 (which means it was definitely improved from the first release), which were the first ones released in Australia and they're still operating with no repairs and such. Waiting for newer versions isn't always the best case as well since the V9 had problems with the lasers being overpowered (or something along those lines) and burning out quicker so go figure. Not to mention the V12 slimline model introduced a host of new problems but that was to be expected from Sony.

How ya doing, buddy?
wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:56 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:26 PM #4 of 3592
I'm shocked at the price for Australia which eclipses that of Europe ($10 more at $1k at current exchange rates). It's not so much the price point but for something which will only play games is not on. Sure, you you can argue that it's got BR and what not but if I wanted that functionality I would get a proper BR player. Still I know plenty of people who are all for this system no matter what the asking price and I have no doubt that their projected production units will probably not be enough.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 12:03 PM #5 of 3592
I've had GT4 outputting to 3 plasma screens before and damn did it look good. But to be honest it was the most pointless thing as all information was just displayed on the centre screen with just extra side views which you don't need. If this is what developer are going to use the extra screens for then forget it. I can't see two screens being usefull for myself except to display stats and maps. For FPS you'd need 3 to be actually usefull. Although multiplayer games with groups of people would be very nice since you can have 2 screens split between however many people instead of the one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread