Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 08:00 PM #1 of 3592
$100 for an extra 40 gigs of disc space. Lol what is this, their microsoft impression?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 08:17 PM #2 of 3592
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Their attempt at recovering from selling the system at less than what it costs them to produce it.
I like how these dumbass corporations have to pull this bullshit over on its customers to make up for having to build consoles that cost more than they can reasonably be sold for, all because they make these ridiculous promises about what the console will feature. Well hello there $100 for a 20 gig SATA hard drive for the xbox circle. Oh hi $100 to add 40 gigs of space for your PS3. I'd rather have less spectacular visuals than have Sony and Microsoft have to screw me over with peripherals all because of poor planning on their consoles.

I've already gotten insider information from a friend who works high up in Sony Playstation development team. He tells me that when ps4 comes out, it will cost $10,000 because you have to buy a 1992 honda civic with it in order to play it. Nevermind that a 92 civic costs like $1000.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 09:20 PM #3 of 3592
Let's just call it the PlagiarismStation 3 and be done with it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 11:52 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 10:52 PM #4 of 3592
Sony PS3: first console to ever reach its first price break before system launch.

I will lol if that happens.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:01 AM #5 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
You're making one terrible assumption -- that people will be forced to buy into that package deal. Well, being an employee of EB Games/Gamestop, let me tel you this: when the 360 came out, there were no package deals. In fact, we didn't start offering package deals until March, just after MS's fiscal year ended. Not only that, but it had the prerequisite of trading in your Xbox to qualify for the deal. Yadda yadda details, suffice it to say that practically no one went through with it, at least not in my store.

No one's gonna be forced into buying a package deal from a store. "Period." You're whole rant has now been debunked. PEACE I'M OUT. Well not really.
From a brick & mortar you won't have to get a bundle, but I challenge you to find TODAY an Xbox circle for sale on a site like Gamestop or Best Buy that is a console by itself, not bundled with either accessories or games that you don't want. Of course, no one will "force" you to buy the bundle...

And I suppose I would fall into that 20 year hardcore gamer category. I can afford to buy a PS3 at $600. But just because I can afford to, doesn't mean that I will. And it doesn't mean that I consider it a value at $600, blu ray or not. PS3 will launch at a 50% higher price than xbox circle. Most people considered $400 for xbox circle pretty high. You mean to tell me that Microsoft can release their console {which is pretty rad, there's no way around that} at $400 and be successful, but Sony has to launch at $600? Come on, get real. You might say "oh that's only a $200 difference" but it's 50% higher than its next competitor and 100% higher than both of its two previous generation's launch price.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:09 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:09 AM #6 of 3592
Also, the main selling points that PS3 has right now is MGS4 and FFXIII? Ok, so basically it's nearing time for people to stop complaining about Nintendo milking its most successful franchises in order to get people to buy its console, since Sony is doing the same thing {except lol what if Konami and Square decide that Microsoft will give them a better deal to release their current flagship franchise on their console, Sony has nothing going for it anymore and they can't do anything about it since lol third party franchises are all it has}.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:58 PM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:58 AM #7 of 3592
Originally Posted by Mercury
Look at it this way, cut the PS3 in half: you get a $300 Blu-ray player, and a $300 high-tech game console. In November 2006, it will be a pretty good deal.
Not when you're not interested in bluray.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 12:04 PM #8 of 3592
I'm sorry but a network adapter does not equal "online service". So maybe you want to explain just what the second link you provided even means.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 12:44 PM #9 of 3592
I'm getting the impression that you don't know how connecting to the internet works. And you don't understand how the Xbox Live service works or what it even is, so it would of course be difficult for you to understand what Sony's rip-off of XBLive service is like or how it works. There is no such thing as "Sony's PS2 Online Service", because Sony does not own and run dedicated servers to host gamers during online gameplay. In case you were wondering, servers cost money. Bandwidth for all of these gamers to use while connected to your servers cost money. Do you think that Sony will be willing to eat these costs? The problem is that they do not have the infrastructure already in place to provide this, meaning they would have to build it up from scratch. Not cheap. NCSoft/ArenaNet or whatever the company is that is running Guild Wars DOES have an already existing infrastructure, what with having several other MMO games that they provide service for, so they could handle making Guild Wars free because of the pre-existing infrastructure.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 10:49 AM #10 of 3592
The interesting thing to note in the article that you linked is that Sony expects the PS3 to be around for 10 years. That is a long time for a console generation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 06:22 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 05:22 PM #11 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Why? If you recall, the PSone was still getting releases all the way into 2005, which was 10 years after it's launch. And chances are the PS2 will also see the same decade-long lifespan. I'd say it stands well within reason to expect the PS3 to uphold the same longevity as well.
Read what I said more carefully. I said that ten years is a long time for a console generation. While PS1 may have had a few sporatic titles released even as recently as 2005, the PS1 console generation effectively ended when the PS2 was released, just as the PS2's generation will be ended when the PS3 is released. In the context of that article, we are led to believe that there will not be a PS4 released for 10 years after the PS3, which is what caused my surprise.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2007, 09:23 AM Local time: May 23, 2007, 08:23 AM #12 of 3592
What are you going to do, whine on them? It's just a beta you know. The actual game will be released at some point in the not too distant future.

Yeah, this is me trying to tell overexcited video game nerds to not take something video game related too seriously. Screaming in a vacuum, I realize.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:48 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2007, 11:48 AM 1 #13 of 3592
The PS2 was a 200% price hike from earlier consoles therefore being more expensive then the market was used to where the PS3 was only a 150% increase from last gen.
Uh what, PS2 shipped at $300. PS1 shipped at - wait for it - $300. So if my math is correct, the PS2 shipped at an increase of exactly 0% from its predecessor.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:56 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 08:56 AM #14 of 3592
They wouldn't do that unless they were preloading games that they didn't have to pay any licensing fees for. That's not a bad idea though; it would definitely make me not feel as irritated at paying three to five dollars a gig for a hard drive when under normal, non-console circumstances, I could get a much larger hard drive for something like 50 to 60 cents a gig. It would have to be a lot of decent games preloaded though.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:43 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 10:43 AM #15 of 3592
Oh that's cool, I'll get to use my PS3 to actually play a PS3 game for the first time when I download that demo.

I'm reading that Heavenly Sword runs at native 720p, rather than 1080p. Is this common for PS3 titles?

FELIPE NO
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:08 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2007, 02:08 PM #16 of 3592
Just play GTA without using any weapons.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:26 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2007, 08:26 AM 3 #17 of 3592
Yeah, I can't imagine why you'd want to impress the gaming media who will be reviewing your title and then publishing said review in some form of mass media. That's just stupid.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 05:53 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 04:53 PM #18 of 3592
Playing a demo tomorrow or next week or a day after it is available in another market is simply not as good as playing it minutes after it first becomes available somewhere. Nerds are incapable of patience it seems. Did I mention DEMO.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2007, 03:29 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2007, 02:29 PM #19 of 3592
I just finished going through the demo with the girl and definitely enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't like was having to jerk the controller around to absorb the soul, which seemed pointless and tacked on much like the general concept of motion sensing on the PS3. It's like when it initially went into development, you probably had to hold R1 and then hit X to absorb, but then Sony was like "gotta use that motion sensing guys, figure something out" and so here we are. I am also wondering if the lack of voice acting is just on the demo or if it will be that way in the final game. Honestly, for the first minute or so, the lack of voice acting was distracting since it is so prevalent these days.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:55 PM Local time: Aug 30, 2007, 04:55 PM #20 of 3592
Did anyone try out Folklore yet? It's interesting the way you're able to handle the ps3 controller while gaining souls/powers from a few enemies. The main character Keats looks like a skinny mature version of Lezard and Otacon. Everything else is awesome. unless there's an x-BOT or someone here who likes to bash a ps3 game.
I played the demo as the girl and thought it was interesting. I didn't like the motion sensing bs, but the rest seemed ok.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:16 AM Local time: Aug 31, 2007, 09:16 AM #21 of 3592
I tried to buy it the other day. Well, I didn't try very hard to be honest. The Gamestop in my town only got two copies, which covered their two preorders. I might try to find the game this afternoon. If I do, I will play with you.

Additional Spam:
Ooops, accidentally bought someone else's pre-order copy. Hope they aren't upset

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by russ; Aug 31, 2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 05:19 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 04:19 PM #22 of 3592
So Warhawk is pretty cool, though pretty much no one on there ever talks. I have played a bunch of games yesterday and today and have enjoyed it. The flight controls are kind of tricky at times, but not terrible. I have mainly played Team Deathmatches and I typically stick to planes. The Homing Missiles are awesome. I also like to sneak around the back side of the other team's base and lay waste to their ground troops from behind; by the time they figure out where they are getting shot from, it is too late, I have already taken their ammo.

Also, can someone tell me why I have consistently finished in the top three or four players in 24 person matches? I'm not that good, but apparently no one else is either.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:48 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 07:48 AM #23 of 3592
Isn't Folklore like almost a month after Heavenly Sword? Why not buy both?

After playing some more Warhawk last night, I've pretty much figured out that the ground-to-air missile turrets are mad over powered. The only problem is that in order to use them to their full potential, you have to have some teamwork and communication so as to draw enemy planes into range, but since hardly anyone talks and most people run around without much idea of what they are wanting to do, that part gets tricky.

Also, I almost ran Miles over in the jeep.

FELIPE NO
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:26 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 04:26 PM #24 of 3592
Haven't the Euro consoles lacked the EE from the start though? And I don't remember seeing the Euronerds complaining about software emulation.

Also slayer, you can stop being a Sony apologist now, we get it already.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:02 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2007, 11:02 AM #25 of 3592
Let me throw a hypothetical situation out there, actually. The profit margin of this console (by itself) is basically zero at this point. Before the price drop, they were losing about 300 bucks on every 20 gig (manufacture cost: 805.85), and 240 on every 60 gig (manufacture cost: 840.35). Assuming, for a moment (since I don't have figures for manufacturing costs that postdate the price drop), that those manufacturing costs remain basically similar, they now lose 340 on every 60 gig.
Aren't your manufacturing cost figures as of launch though? Is it not also true that since then, the cost to produce the blu-ray laser dropped over $100 by itself {which would cover the price drop on the 60 gig models}. I'm not saying that they are no longer losing money per console sold, but I am going to make an educated guess that they are not losing $340 on every 60 gig.

As far as the EE chip costs are concerned, I am wondering if over the long run it would be more expensive to include the $30 chip per console or to have employees coding for backwards compatibility for some period of time.

Most amazing jew boots
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread