Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 04:37 PM #1 of 3592
Here's Wiki....

Quote:
(Under Playstation 3)
Video

* Supported screen sizes: 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
* S/PDIF optical output for digital audio
* Multiple AV outputs
o Composite
o S-Video
o Component video (output up to 1080p)
o HDMI port (Digital video output; 60 GB model only)
Quote:
(Under Component Video)
Component video is capable of producing signals such as 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, but digital connections such as DVI (video only) and HDMI (which can also include up to 8 channels of audio) give better results at the higher resolutions (up to 1080p).
While 1080p is possible with the Component Video, You're still gettin ripped from Sony somewhat because the HDMI outdoes it at higher resolutions.....

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 06:56 PM #2 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
I just read an artcile about HDCP compliance in DVD/Blu Ray players. Did they mention yet whether the PS3 will have HDCP compliance? If it does, and my HDTV doesn't, then I'll get screwed out of the full resolution.
I love using Wiki as a source....

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Type A HDMI is backward-compatible with the single-link Digital Visual Interface (DVI) used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable, but the audio and remote control features of HDMI will not be available. Additionally, without support for HDCP, the video quality and resolution may be artificially downgraded by the signal source to prevent the end user from viewing or especially copying restricted content. Type B HDMI is similarly backward-compatible with dual-link DVI.
Yeah, that might be it....so yeah, looks like you might be screwed....

EDIT: Additionally, Check out the Difference between the HDMI and the Component Below in the attachment. You can see how the Component input gives a range of colors from only light grey to dark grey as opposed to the greater contrast in the HDMI. So there is somewhat of a difference between the two, winner being the HDMI input...

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Omnislash124; May 22, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 02:58 PM #3 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
And that's a small jump indeed, given how I've run through quite a few HDMI/Component DVD players (including the Zenith model that allowed up-conversion via component before the firmware was fixed) on my TV. It's definitely something only the most anal audio/videophiles would whine about.
I dunno about everybody else, but if I'm paying $500/$600 for a system, it damn well better be worth every penny. Especially a system that has been boasting this feature for a long time now.

Most amazing jew boots
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:11 PM #4 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
Same here. I really don't see the problem considering DVD playback was pretty much a gimmie with the PS2 being all of the required hardware and software for DVD playback was in the box to support gaming.

PS3 is pretty much the same situation. I don't see anything being added to the box that would not be used for the gaming aspect of the system. Personally I think it is stupid not to include things such as DVD playback and web browsing when the hardware is already there to support it.
I can understand the blu-ray capabilities being necessary, but web browsing? Don't you already have a computer for that? And I don't think Web Browsing is natively supported by the PS3 hardware. The ability to go online for online gameplay, yes, but actually browsing web sites online? Takes more work there, and is definitely not necessary. At least not in my opinion.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:24 PM #5 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
What exactly does web browsing require in terms of hardware? Just a NIC which is including in the box for online play and some type of storage medium for the software. It's just a simple matter of adding the browser software to the hard drive which is also supplied for gaming use as well. TCP/IP protocol software is already there for online play and adding web browsing support to the package is trivial. Hell, I bet the online game matching will be a web browser interface so I could even use that as an argument and say web browsing is present to support gaming on the machine.

And yes I do have a computer, but I imagine it would be very nice to pull up for example, a GameFAQs page, once and a while from a browser dashboard from your TV rather than having to go to your computer.
Touche...

Even though web browsing can be done, it's not like you would do casual web browsing on it. Well, you could, but it might be hard to actually read anything on the TV screen with you sitting so far away. At least, the distance between my couch and TV is pretty far. Hot links to common gaming web sites maybe (GameFAQs, Sony's Page, and whatever else you might be visiting), but not casual surfing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:43 PM #6 of 3592
I really can't think of a single wireless conroller feature a rumble feature, then again, I stay away from 3rd parties. So whatever.

But on the idea of a PS2 controller fitting into a PS3 via outside peripheral....how much do they plan on selling this for? Because you're not saving much money if this peripheral costs as much as a PS3 controller. I guess if you really must have the rumble feature, ok. But you do lose the wireless capability as well as the tilt sensor. It's probably not worth it, IMO.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:22 PM #7 of 3592
Quote:
Here are the games we expected:

* Resident Evil 5
* Devil May Cry 4
* Assassin's Creed
* Grand Theft Auto IV
* Siren 3
* Metal Gear Solid 4
* Final Fantasy XIII
* Tekken 6
* Silent Hill 5
* Spider Man 3

Here are a few surprizes:

* Killzone 3
* Fatal Frame 4
* Onimusha 5
* Kingdom Hearts 3
* Sequel to Shadow of the Colossus
* Sneak Peak at God of War 3
* Ninja Gaiden 2
* Battlefield 3 or believed to be Battlefield 2142
* Sneak Peak at Zone of the Enders 3
Dear god, is there a single NON-SEQUEL game for the PS3? Next to Heavenly Sword or whatever it's called? It seriously looks like an endless list of numbers except for Assassin's Creed. Or, at least, god forbid, be creative with the title or something.

How ya doing, buddy?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:44 PM #8 of 3592
Touche.

I'm not saying that sequels are necessarily bad, but it does make me cringe to see nothing but. On a second note, I stand by what I said about needing more interesting titles.

That is true that it's a hard proposition as game costs skyrocket to take chances.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:19 AM #9 of 3592
I'd be impressed if they showed gameplay shots that looked like that. But for being CG, they're not that impressive, graphically.

On the other hand, it does look fun. Also, was that a Tony Hawk minigame I saw in that video?

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:12 PM #10 of 3592
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv08-2006-gamefront/2083.html

I still can't get over how shiny, shiny, shiny the PS3 is. I'm going to have to keep a cloth inside my room at all times to polish off the inevitable dust and fingerprints.
God.....damn...

There must be like 2 inches of gloss on there. That's almost as reflective as a mirror....

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:29 AM #11 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157152.html

400,000 unites available at launch day for the PS3, approximately 2 million by end of 2006. Well, 400,000 on launch day is still more than than 360 had by year's end last year, so that's good. Here's hoping Sony can keep that number closer to release.
Just because the XBOX360 had an extremely shitty launch does not justify that the PS3 should have a shitty launch as well. As for the european opinion, many have turned from the PS3 into the 360 or the Wii now. Sony's losing big on the European Market.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:32 PM #12 of 3592
That's right, the PSP was definitely marketed incorrectly, because there are not too many people who want a multimedia powerhouse as a handheld. If you wanted multimedia, you'd watch it on a stationary entertainment system with the comfort of your couch and TV. Watching a movie on a Computer Screen isn't too bad, but watching one on the PSP? That's a bit too small to enjoy. People expect a handheld to play games as a primary function. If you market a handheld to be an entertainment system, not many people are going to buy it. People who want to watch movies have a portable DVD player. People who want to listen to music have an MP3 player. If you're going to buy a PSP, you're going to be gaming on it.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:17 PM #13 of 3592
-QJ.Net

Ooh, secret game. Fun.

unless it turns out to be something like crash bandicoot: who cares anymore.

EDIT: The rumored secret game is....

Spoiler:
The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion

Makes sense, given the recent rumors. Plus, it would be pretty awesome as a launch title.
I thought they already said this was in production for the PS3? Wouldn't be very secret now.

KOTOR III perhaps?

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:15 PM #14 of 3592
Haha....if you're good you can get 500 words in a paragraph or 2.....doesn't exactly make for a deep essay. And the BEST PRIZE EVER is misleading, as SOLDIER pointed above.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:41 PM #15 of 3592
This seems a bit too good to be true....Unless their strategy was to initially declare a higher price and then drop the price to make it seem cheaper even though it's still the most expensive....I don't quite believe they can add stuff in at the last minute and STILL make it cheaper....

But hey, more power the the PS3 if it is true.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 08:33 AM #16 of 3592
I don't give a damn about GT4, but White Knight has given me genuine interest in the PS3. It would be truly magical if those screens became reality and the gameplay matches even half of what those screens are showing me.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:22 PM #17 of 3592
Jesus Christ. That setup must cost an arm and a leg....XBR2?!

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:20 PM #18 of 3592
Isn't Ethernet still faster than Wifi at this point? or has Wifi caught up? I personally would not mind a single ethernet cable running between a PS3 and a router if needed. And, I am inclined to agree, the XBox360's Core package was definitely lacking a lot of things.....too much to make you want to buy it. I mean, it was still functional, but marginally. The PS3, ironically, is the exact opposite. The Core package of the PS3 is fully functional already. The Premium PS3 is just extras that you really don't need. It may be nice to have, but you don't need it.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 07:28 PM #19 of 3592
Originally Posted by Sepharite
About the Blu-Ray Player, is it true that it can only be played on Sony Television?
That's false. That's gotta be false....That'd better be false, Because if it's true, Sony just dug it's own grave.

But it's false.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:38 AM #20 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
2) The cars in the 360 games look even worse, so at least GT is looking next gen in most ways if not all.
We really need to stop comparing across different systems. Especially when there is no equivalent of the game you're comparing. The excuse that "because it's at least better than the 360" is getting old and has never been a good argument. First of all, everybody and their mother already knows that the PS3 hardware completely owns the 360 hardware, so if it wasn't better looking than the 360, all hell would break loose with the complaints. Second of all, just because a game isn't that good on another system does not justify you releasing a subpar product that is "slightly better than the competition".

I will agree with your first point, however. When you're moving, you tend to pay less attention to the detail of the car anyway.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:38 PM #21 of 3592
Okay avanent, that's enough. Come back to Mario's Warp Room for that stuff. Your argument against the PS3 has no chance in hell working here.

As for the PS3, I find it funny that public attention has turned the opposite direction from the beginning. It seems as if public opinion just keeps getting thrown back and forth. It seems that everytime a huge announcement is made for one system, everybody rushes to the other one. Before PS3 and Wii were announced officially, the opinion originally sided with the PS3 because of it's brand name. The Revolution gets announced and everybody flocks to the Revolution, PS3's announcement of Blu-Ray and other stuff is announced, everybody runs back. Public opinion will always change depending on announcements. I personally had no interest in the PS3 whatsoever. But now, it's looking more and more enticing by the minute. Ironically, the opposite seems to be true for Nintendo, who, as long as they don't make any official announcements, they get tremendous support. With each successive announcement, PS3 is going up and Wii's dropping.

The $500 pricetag now becomes justifiable with all these extra features.....

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:43 PM #22 of 3592
Jesus Christ man, just stop already, This is definitely not the place to talk about Wii vs PS3. We all know the PS3 looks amazing and the Wii boils down to a Juiced up Gamecube with innovative controls and Wifi capabilities and what not. They're not even in direct competition, so exactly why are we arguing here?

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:17 PM #23 of 3592
Of course that's true in Japan. Considering how PS3 releases with 100,000 over there. PS3 in the US should fare much better.

Besides, Japan loves the quirky stuff.

I like the quirky stuff too, but that's beside the point.

EDIT: On a second note.....The PS3 can't be lifted with one hand? Wow...is it really that heavy? Didn't see that coming....

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:49 PM #24 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
It weighs eleven pounds and is slightly wider and taller than the original Xbox, so the weight and the way it's spread make that a bad idea.
Oh wow, I really always thought it was closer to the weight of the PS2, because it never looked that big in the shots. Maybe because it was always in front of a large HDTV....

I'd be scared to move mine around if I had one....just because it looks so fragile. And if you drop it.......:aargh:

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:33 AM #25 of 3592
Are those confirmed for the US? Because it seems the US doesn't quite get the same cost as Japan. It looks like the prices abvoe were all in yen. Any luck on US Prices?

You didn't catch all of IGN, BTW...

Quote:
In the next bracket are two Sony Computer Entertainment titles. Both Resistance and Genji will carry a price point o 5,980 yen. As these are full games, most were expecting a price of at least 7,140 yen, which is the standard tax-included price for current generation games.

Sega's launch title, Sega Golf Club, has been priced at 7,140 yen, as previously reported. So has Sonic the Hedgehog, which hits Japan on 12/21 at 7,140 yen.

Finally, we come to the high end of the launch lineup. Ridge Racer 7 and Gundam Target in Sight will both carry price points of 7,329 yen. This is actually the price that Konami charges for most of its PS2 games.

From Software will follow launch with the highest priced PS3 game of them all. As previously reported, Armored Core 4 will hit Japanese retail on 12/14 carrying, a price point of 8,190 yen. PS2 Armored Core games have carried this price in the past.
I have no idea how that carries, but it sounds significantly more.

Last edited by Omnislash124; Oct 3, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread