Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:48 PM #1 of 3592
Che (formerly of 1up) says he's heard they might be doing an October US release, November JP release. Doesn't seem too likely, especially considering Sony's past stances, but it's possible I suppose. Realisitically everyone knew the PS3 was not going to make Japan in Spring. Feasibly they have two options:

1)Fall 06 Japan release, Spring 07 US release
2)Worldwide or close to worldwide launch Fall 06

1 seems like a more logical option, but you'd have to consider if that happens, the 360 will get a second holiday season in sales (and it'll be much more available than it was this past season), AND the Revolution is supposed to be coming out in the US "by Thanksgiving," at least at the moment. The Revolution will probably not be too hard to supply given it's parts. Also the Rev looks like it'll be shipping at a fairly low price ($249?), and the 360 will probably have also had a price cut by then. I doubt it'll happen, but if MS could get Halo 3 out and a 360 price drop BEFORE the PS3 launches in the US.....holy fuck.

Alternatively 2 seems feasible, but that kind of launch is going to have severe shortages, faaaaaaaaar more so than the 360 launch considering it's going to be in extremely high demand in Japan and the US, and parents will probably wind up buying one of the other two consoles if they can't find a 360.

Either way, this isn't the end of the world for Sony, but they can not be happy about this. I don't think anyone seriously anticipates MS or Nintendo actually taking over Sony as #1, but either scenario is definetely going to hurt their marketshare. Another wildcard is the Revolution. I don't think anyone here really follows Japanese sales, but DS sales in Japan are motherfucking insane. On any given week, 6-9 titles in the top 10 sellers in Japan are DS titles, and a friend pointed out that one week last month, all the combined DS software sales for that one week beat out lifetime to date sales for all software on PSP. Obviously it's much more even in the US, but Sony also has to factor in that Nintendo's building up a huge hype machine for the Rev given how insanely popular the DS is in Japan right now, and it's attracting a lot of non-gamers that will probably be interested in the Rev. I think this will actually cause Sony to go with option 1. I think Sony would rather try to more effectively cut off Rev sales in Japan and take a hit from 360 and Rev holiday sales in the US, than do a weak US/JP launch and probably wind up taking a hit either way due to supplies.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:00 PM #2 of 3592
I agree, but Sony can't be happy either way.

Edit: Found it, wrong on the source though:

Quote:
This Mainichi Shimbun article says, according to an industry source, as the mass production was delayed due to the delay of the standardization of the copy protection technology of BD, if PS3 is released in Spring they will be able to offer only 500k units that is far lower than 2.5 million the industry expected, so they decided to delay it.
Various people have pointed out that most of the BD protection/anti-piracy and so stuff has been finalized, so no one's really buying that as the reason for the delay. Makes you wonder what the real reason might be. I'd imagine assembling all the high end parts and getting it together and working is proving a taller order than they had thought.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Mar 14, 2006 at 08:03 PM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:06 PM #3 of 3592
Quote:
TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) will delay the release of its new PlayStation 3 video game console until early November because development of some of the technology is behind schedule, Japanese newspapers said on Wednesday.

The Nihon Keizai said consumer electronics makers and movie companies have been unable to reach an agreement on the development of the copy protection technology for the console's Blu-ray Disc drive.

Sony said it would hold a briefing on its PlayStation video game business at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, but declined to give details.

Sony shares fell 1.3 percent in early trade to 5,500 yen after the reports.
Also a few developer blogs/post have indicated that at least no western developers have final PS3 dev kits yet, which isn't good. No word on if Japanese developers have them yet though.

Edit: Another from Bloomberg:

Quote:
Sony Shares Drop on Report PlayStation 3 Delayed to November
March 15 (Bloomberg) -- Shares of Sony Corp., the world's biggest video-game maker, fell as much as 2 percent after a newspaper reported the company will delay the debut of its PlayStation 3 console to November from its plan to sell the machine in spring.

The stock fell 1.3 percent to 5,500 yen as of 9:26 a.m. on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, compared with a 0.6 percent gain in the Nikkei 225 Stock Average. Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. spokesman Daisuke Nakata declined to comment on the Nihon Keizai newspaper report saying the player would be sold from November.
It's still all coming from the same newspaper though, so we'll find out...in about 5 hours :P.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Mar 14, 2006 at 08:12 PM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:38 PM #4 of 3592
Originally Posted by Taterdemalion
I think Sony would be better off concentrating forces in America, where 360 is the greatest threat. If Sony doesn't push enough consoles out, 360 will gain an upper hand, especailly if Microsoft parries the PS3 launch with a price cut. And in Japan I don't think the wild success of the DS launch necessarily means people will be as enthusiastic about the Rev. It's a whole new beast. I remember a few months ago some polls that show PS3 was the most wanted next-gen system in Japan by a significant margin. I think PS3 can hold Japan. But it is here in the states, against the 360, that PS3 will face its greatest challenge.
Yeah, I could go either way on that; do they combat the Rev in Japan or the 360 on Japan. You also have to factor in though that I think one or two of the Mistwalker games will be out for the 360 by Christmas in Japan, which may or may not be a huge factor. I'm sure in a straight PS3 vs. Rev fight, the PS3 would win, but my main point was that if the PS3 has a weak launch in Japan (due to doing a worldwide launch) the Rev could do very very well.

It's all relative anyway since Sony will likely remain on top this gen, but Sony loses some marketshare here either way they go honestly, it's a question of how much.

Originally Posted by Shonos
It will be some time before any great games come out for the 360. (I am aware some people would argue that current games are fine but I do not agree, sorry.) Does it really matter if either console comes out awile longer?

I would hope for most people they buy a console to play the games they're interested in. To me, the 360 has no games currently that warrant the purchase of the console. Sure, in some time from now it will but right now? No.

The PS2 is still popular and still has some new games being pumped out for it. Even if the PS3 is delayed I think Sony can handle it. They still have the PS2 going strong with many new games coming out.

I dont know about any of you but I'm just fine with my current gen consoles and buying games for those.

If they need the time to get the PS3 out right then give them the time. I dont think it really matters anyways. No one who wanted to get the PS3 is suddenly going to just go and buy a 360 unless there are games for it they want. Well, that is if people still buy consoles for the games and are not 'tards that buy expensive hardware to be 'cool'.
I agree, but we're mostly talking about what Sony might or might no do in terms of when they'll launch where. Casuals/parents WILL buy a 360 this holiday if the PS3 isn't available, just because it is available, and I'm sure they'll be some great games for it by then. I don't have a 360 yet, but by all accounts DoA 4/Fight Night 3 started the momentum rolling, and GRAW is getting rave reviews and I know people who are buying a 360 just for Oblivion this month.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Mar 14, 2006 at 08:42 PM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:44 AM #5 of 3592
From the PS3 Conference

PS3 News

-Price will "not be less than 50,000 yen." (Approx $427 US).

-WORLDWIDE (US/CAN/JP/ASIA/EU) November Launch. Sony promises to produce "up to" 1 million units per month leading up to launch, will have "6 million" units available by year end. Production will outpace both PS1 and PS2 levels. EDIT: Gamespot reports 6 million units by Fiscal year end in March 2007, not calendar year ending December 06. Which now makes this kinda've crappy in my opinion.

-"As part of the PlayStation Business Brief today in Tokyo, Ken Kutaragi confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will require the hard drive peripheral. In total, it will be 60GB big, be completely upgradeable, and support Linux OS. Additionally, the peripheral will act as a home server and allow users to store various forms of media to be pulled up elsewhere." It is still uncertain if the HDD will actually ship standard with the system, although right now it's looking like yes.

-PS3 will be 100% backwards compatible, and all legacy titles (We have no clue what that means) will be displayed in High-Def resolutions (a la 360).

-Basic online service will be free and available at launch. (Similar to Xbox Silver?)

-Developers will have final devkits in June, specs finalized today.

-Will support HDMI from launch.

-All games will be BD format to avoid piracy.

-Insane Kutaragi Quotes (Seriously, WTF?)
"This is the greatest day in the history of our great industry."
"The Cell will be able to realize a 4-dimensional world. Let's chase this dream together." WHAT THE FUCK YOU KOOK?

PSP news

-US will get PSP Core Pack around the end of March at $199 (does not include Headphones, case, etc).

-PSP userbase is 96% male, Sony considers that a problem and wants to address it.

-Starting this fall, the PSP will use RSS channel features. Video and voice-over-IP will release in October in "motion jpg" format. The PSP's own version of the EyeToy will launch a month earlier in September and the peripheral will feature EyeToy Play and video chat. The camera is sliver and it attaches to the USB port.

-The PSP will also include a GPS receiver with an update rate of once every second with a 40-second fix time from a cold start. Minna no Golf (Hot Shots Golf) will be a GPS launch title.

-Macromedia Flash will be included with a spring Network update.

-There will be an offical 1st Gen PS1 emulator, you will be able to buy and download games online to PSP.

PS2 News

-No price drop, basically the system continues to dominate.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Mar 15, 2006 at 03:35 AM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:25 AM #6 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
Sweet. Let's hope that a "worldwide launch" includes europe, australia & nz because they're so easily forgotten about.

Also wow, GPS for PSP? That's nuts.
Apparently yes for Europe, no for Australia. No idea about New Zealand.

I take that all with a grain of salt since "worldwide launch" is coming from the company that was swearing up and down 3 weeks ago "spring." If, IF they can actually produce these quantities, supply will still not nearly meet demand, but it'll be respectable enough, much much better than the 360s launch. I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:03 AM #7 of 3592
What's odd is he stated that the HDD would be required, but didn't specifically mention that it would be INCLUDED. Logically it would have to be if it's required, but that's still odd. And yeah, the man is fucking insane.

I appear to be the only person on the internets not impressed with the PS 1 emulator (I need a huge stick to hold a couple games I already own that I get to pay for again? Not counting resolution issues, and few PS1 games have a save anywhere feature necessary for playing on the go), but other than that good news all around, I'm impressed.

Edit: Press spec sheet indicates HD is detachable, and appears to indicate the HD is NOT included with the system, but not confirmed for sure. But supposedly it's "required," so I'm guess maybe it's required for online games or something like that?

Press release specifically states "デタッチャブル 2.5” HDD slot x 1", which is "Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x1," and the press release makes absolutely no mention of the HDD being included or standard, which I'm sure it would if it was.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Mar 15, 2006 at 03:12 AM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:14 AM #8 of 3592
Found the full press release. It's a full spec sheet, I can't imagine it not stating the HDD being included if it was:

http://www.playstation.jp/news/2005/pr_050517_ps3.html

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:15 AM #9 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
Wait, why?
Why don't I know about New Zealand ?_?

Most amazing jew boots
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:22 AM #10 of 3592
On the spec sheet itself it says "デタッチャブル 2.5” HDD slot x 1" デタッチャブル is detachable. I can see them as meaning you can mount a detachable drive (say take it to a friend's house). The other reason I'm thinking it's not going to be included is you're looking at a system that has a high-speed GPU, a new Blue laser drive, wi-fi hardware, half a gig of high speed memory, etc etc, AND a 60G HDD for a $400-450 range? That's insanity. Regardless, within the day once we get some kind of US/English press release it'll probably clear it up one way or the other.

Edit: I'm seeing a Sony rep at another board say the HDD will not be standard, but God knows where he is on the information chain.

Here's (apparently) the english press release, wonderfully unhelpful:

Quote:
PLAYSTATION(R)3 Launches Worldwide in Early November 2006

Wednesday March 15, 2:56 am ET

TOKYO, March 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) in early November 2006 in Japan, North America and Europe simultaneously. With a monthly production capacity of one million units, SCEI will push forward a powerful product launch to spread the platform rapidly throughout the world, together with a strong and attractive lineup of PS3 game titles.

PS3 incorporates the final specifications of BD (Blu-ray Disc), and with the overwhelming computing power of PS3, it enables playback of BD software at a high bit rate. With a maximum storage capacity of 50 GB (dual layer) and robust security, BD is a highly anticipated storage medium that delivers digital entertainment content such as games and movies at an unparalleled level of image quality.

PS3 is compatible with a vast lineup of television sets currently out in the market, from standard-definition TV to full high-definition TV.

Users can also connect PS3 to high-speed broadband network through Gigabit Ethernet and comfortably enjoy a wide-range of rich and exciting content and services over the network.

SCEI, together with the support and cooperation of game content creators around the world, will strongly promote the creation of a new world of computer entertainment available on PS3.

About Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. continues to redefine the entertainment lifestyle with its PlayStation® and PS one(TM) game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the PSP(TM) (PlayStation® Portable) entertainment system. The PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system is set to revolutionize the home entertainment market, offering the most compelling interactive content and the capability to be used as a network terminal in the coming broadband era. PSP is a new portable entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio.

Recognized as the undisputed industry leader, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. markets the PlayStation family of products and develops, publishes, markets and distributes software for the PS one game console, the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and the PSP system for the North American market. Based in Foster City, Calif. Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. serves as headquarters for all North American operations and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc
Edit 2: Okay, moot point, IGN is reporting HDD will come standard out of the box, although they didn't cite any source so I dunno, but whatever I'll go with that. Wonder what the price will be; I can't seem them doing it at anything less than $449, I'm thinking $499 US now.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Mar 15, 2006 at 03:30 AM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:31 AM #11 of 3592
Crap, you keep posting right as I edit :P

Edit 2: Okay, moot point, IGN is reporting HDD will come standard out of the box, although they didn't cite any source so I dunno, but whatever I'll go with that. Wonder what the price will be; I can't seem them doing it at anything less than $449, I'm thinking $499 US now.

Unrelated, but Gamespot is reporting that the "6 million units" figure is through the fiscal year ending in March 07, not December 06, which dramatically changes how I view all of this if true -_-.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:36 AM #12 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
I wouldn't use cost to rule out it being included though. A standard 7200 RPM 60GB HDD costs about ten bucks to manufacture these days.
Yeah, but look at how much they charge for the Xbox HD, even PS2 memory cards are insanely expensive for the storage capacity. If the HDD is not standard, I totally seem them doing the system at $399, then releasing the HDD as a $99 accessory.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread