Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:19 PM #1 of 3592
Originally Posted by SailorDaravon
Che (formerly of 1up) says he's heard they might be doing an October US release, November JP release. Doesn't seem too likely, especially considering Sony's past stances, but it's possible I suppose. Realisitically everyone knew the PS3 was not going to make Japan in Spring. Feasibly they have two options:

1)Fall 06 Japan release, Spring 07 US release
2)Worldwide or close to worldwide launch Fall 06

1 seems like a more logical option, but you'd have to consider if that happens, the 360 will get a second holiday season in sales (and it'll be much more available than it was this past season), AND the Revolution is supposed to be coming out in the US "by Thanksgiving," at least at the moment. The Revolution will probably not be too hard to supply given it's parts. Also the Rev looks like it'll be shipping at a fairly low price ($249?), and the 360 will probably have also had a price cut by then. I doubt it'll happen, but if MS could get Halo 3 out and a 360 price drop BEFORE the PS3 launches in the US.....holy fuck.

Alternatively 2 seems feasible, but that kind of launch is going to have severe shortages, faaaaaaaaar more so than the 360 launch considering it's going to be in extremely high demand in Japan and the US, and parents will probably wind up buying one of the other two consoles if they can't find a 360.

Either way, this isn't the end of the world for Sony, but they can not be happy about this. I don't think anyone seriously anticipates MS or Nintendo actually taking over Sony as #1, but either scenario is definetely going to hurt their marketshare. Another wildcard is the Revolution. I don't think anyone here really follows Japanese sales, but DS sales in Japan are motherfucking insane. On any given week, 6-9 titles in the top 10 sellers in Japan are DS titles, and a friend pointed out that one week last month, all the combined DS software sales for that one week beat out lifetime to date sales for all software on PSP. Obviously it's much more even in the US, but Sony also has to factor in that Nintendo's building up a huge hype machine for the Rev given how insanely popular the DS is in Japan right now, and it's attracting a lot of non-gamers that will probably be interested in the Rev. I think this will actually cause Sony to go with option 1. I think Sony would rather try to more effectively cut off Rev sales in Japan and take a hit from 360 and Rev holiday sales in the US, than do a weak US/JP launch and probably wind up taking a hit either way due to supplies.
I think Sony would be better off concentrating forces in America, where 360 is the greatest threat. If Sony doesn't push enough consoles out, 360 will gain an upper hand, especailly if Microsoft parries the PS3 launch with a price cut. And in Japan I don't think the wild success of the DS launch necessarily means people will be as enthusiastic about the Rev. It's a whole new beast. I remember a few months ago some polls that show PS3 was the most wanted next-gen system in Japan by a significant margin. I think PS3 can hold Japan. But it is here in the states, against the 360, that PS3 will face its greatest challenge.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:16 AM #2 of 3592
At least if the hard drive is required for games to run, we won't have to sit through insane load times with the 1x speed of the BD drive.

How ya doing, buddy?
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:29 PM #3 of 3592
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
It could be, the PS3 is going to need great launch titles to make all the regions love it. It can't just have novelty Japanese games like most of the previous PlayStation launch titles have. There has to be at least a great game (if not a "killer app") to get people into buying a PS3 (who honestly is going to buy it for any other reason in 2006/2007? Well there's the Blu-Ray issue, but that's another story).
PS2 had no killer-apps for months and it killed the Dreamcast, which had an arguably better library. PS3 could do the same simply because it's Playstation.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:18 PM #4 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
ps3.qj.net/

I thought we were supposed to get more info on the online portion.
What do you expect? Sony's not going to blow their wad until E3. GDC conferences are usually made to appease people until E3.

However, this portion from a Q&A with Phil Harrison from IGN has got me excited.

Quote:
Sony has recently stated that its "basic" online service will be free, though it was unclear exactly what this meant. Harrison explained that anything outside of paid downloads or specialized subscriptions counts as "basic". In other words, all of the key features of the system, like your friends list, video chatting, grabbing free updates and indeed playing online will be entirely free. There will however be a few special case games that require paid subscriptions, like MMOs.
A Xbox Live-style feature set for free will make Xbox Live's subscription service obsolete, assuming PS3's online features are comparable or superior, of course.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:20 PM #5 of 3592
Originally Posted by Megalith
Thank god I can play games that I don't understand.
Quote:
The capacity of Blu-Ray had previously been mentioned to allow for multiple languages of a game to be encoded onto the same massive-capacity disc.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

Problem solved.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 06:55 PM #6 of 3592
Those Vehicle Dynamics photos are incredibly realistic. Given another coat of polish, they could easily pass for the real thing, no question.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 03:59 PM #7 of 3592
Originally Posted by sprouticus
The new stage of gaming is higher quality audio and video... :lolsign:
What was the point of that?

FELIPE NO
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 02:49 PM #8 of 3592
Hey, why was the Lemmings discussion ended? I'm sure it had something to do with PS3.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:35 PM #9 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
I'm not going to pay any mind to any of the prices until E3. To me, it would be great if the total was $350 at the most, but I'm getting myself ready for a higher price. Regardless, I'm going to make the effort to nab a system on day one, regardless of the price. Because no matter what, you'll definetely be getting a good value.

PS3
PS2
PS1
DVD
Blu-Ray
HDD
Linux OS
Regardless of that fact, people expect all this to be within the range of $299 to $399. If the PS3 debuts at $500, Sony's going to have a tough time convincing people it's worth it. But maybe I'm underestimating Sony. They did, after all, convince me to buy a $250 handheld system, a price that is very nonstandard.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:09 AM #10 of 3592
If the Blu-Ray drive is 1x speed, does that mean it also plays DVDs at that speed?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:53 PM #11 of 3592
Starting up, bitches. Thank God.

Most amazing jew boots
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:56 PM #12 of 3592
"We're not about cutting corners." Lol.

Most amazing jew boots
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 07:12 PM #13 of 3592
Now that the Big Three have showed their cards, I thimk Sony is in for a very uphill battle. Nintendo and Microsoft's lineups seem much better. Nintendo has their Holy Trinity--Mario, Zelda and Metroid--available at launch. Fanboys are busting nuts over that shit. Hell, I'm busting a nut. Then Microsoft is pulling out their 2nd generation games that are much more polished than the games we saw last November. Crackdown specifically has me very excited. Sony's big guns won't come out until next year at the earliest. Even if Sony comes out on top, it'll be by the hair off their ass.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:35 AM #14 of 3592
Sony's gotta choose something to make a killer app out of. As long as they make people believe Resistance is greater than Christ, people will see it as validating a PS3 purchase.

How ya doing, buddy?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread