Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:07 AM #1 of 3592
I just cannot, cannot believe that people aren't crying bloody murder over a possible $700 price tag for PS3. I should say "probable" not just possible. When you consider that you are justifying that with "oh it will play Blu-Ray," which means that you are going to be playing it on your $2,000 HDTV... I guess I just figured people like that would be out driving one of their several Ferrari Enzo's rather than posting on a gaming forum.

Are the prices going up, due to inflation? (I recently saw that the $199 price of a new NES system at release is actually ~$360 now adjusted for inflation.) Prices may be going up, but our wages are not. The average wage adjusted for inflation is lower now than it was 30 years ago. All these credit cards are going to catch up to people sooner or later... How is the PS3 going to become a mainstream gaming machine at the prices people are talking about?

If we see the PS3 released at a price above $500, I predict the Sony machines will become a novelty item, and will never become a mainstream platform, even after price drops. People will look at Xbox 360, and Revolution, not see a justification for a 100% price increase, and pass the PS3 by... (Omg - Revolution could end up costing less than half of a PS3! :doh: ) I mean, I hear people say we won't know until it's released what the price will be. I say phooey to that. I've been watching console releases over many generations, and at least through the info channels I've been paying attention to, I've never been surprised at the cost of a console on release date. Will Sony suprise me? They haven't with their last 3 console releases, so I see no reason that this release would be any different, especially with such a large, costly amount of new tech thrown into the mix...

When PS1 came out, CD's had been around for many years and were an old technology. When PS2 came out, DVD's had been around for years and were old tech. The cost of adopting a new tech like Blu-Ray that hasn't even been proven in the market is going to be high... (I will lol like mad if people adopt Toshiba/Microsoft's HD standard instead.)

Lol... any console release that makes me break out in a discussion of the U.S. economy is obviously priced ridiculously high...

3DO comin' liek wut??!!111

Most amazing jew boots
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 08:53 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 07:53 AM #2 of 3592
Originally Posted by Qwarky
Not having close to 600 or even 700 dollars to spend on a game console is not what I'd call piss poor, though.
Exactly. Toss in a couple $60 games and you're looking at over $800 to start.

How ya doing, buddy?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 11:23 AM #3 of 3592
Originally Posted by Stealth
You know what would be great? If Sony only charged $50 for games. The prices haven't really been announced. Of course EA is gonna charge $60 anyway (Take the PSP for example).
Their saving grace there might be the greatest hits program. There are really some great PS2 GH titles. But there again, the PS3 would have to be priced mainstream to push that many consoles in order to push that many copies. Perhaps they would consider lowering the threshold for GH status?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:59 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 01:59 PM #4 of 3592
Interesting news. I could skip Ridge Racer 6 and head right to 7. That is, if Sony can get into my good graces enough to erase the whole DRM/Rootkit issue, their 1-disk-1-ps3 anti-piracy lunacy, how they screwed over Fiona Apple's latest release to make it sound like it was performed by a drunken cover band, and the list goes on...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 08:43 PM #5 of 3592
I'll just buy a Wii at launch for $200, and a price-dropped Xbox 360 Premium package for $100 LESS than those standing in line to buy a PS3. :biggrin: Actually, I'll just buy the Wii and then have $400 left to purchase games with for the next year...

I have a PS2 now and really enjoy it, but at this rate it will be 7 years before the PS3's price drops to even $300...

I was speaking idiomatically.
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 05:05 PM #6 of 3592
Although, I do have to say one thing about Sony's price point: The Xbox came out after the PS2, and cost more than the PS2, yet the Xbox 360 came out before the PS3 by an entire year. Looking at total $ expenditure in game consoles over time, if MS kept up with that pace then overall the Sony consoles are cheaper than the MS consoles.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 02:51 PM Local time: May 27, 2007, 01:51 PM #7 of 3592
That upscaling feature is pretty sweet, and really the only way I could ever hope to reasonably play all my PSX games on HDTV (eventually you won't even be able to buy an SDTV, just like CRT computer monitors are hard to find). This makes eventually getting a PS3 a more attractive proposition.

FELIPE NO
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:11 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 09:11 PM #8 of 3592
I've never understood why companies decided they could get away with selling a console without any games in the first place. Next thing you know it's going to start being like printers and they won't even come with the cables to hook it up.
We already had to foot the bill for memory cards, which should have come with the system. Thankfully, with next-gen that is now a thing of the past. I mean, PS2 memory cards retailed for $24.99, so if you play a decent amount of games you could easily have spent a hundred bucks on just memory cards in past generations of consoles. In a way, that lowers the price of the next-gen consoles a bit in my mind, knowing that I won't have to put up with memory card purchases or 3rd-party cards corrupting data.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:11 AM Local time: Sep 5, 2007, 09:11 AM #9 of 3592
In the final analysis, Sony has stated they intend for the life-span of the PS systems to be what, generally 7-10 years? If Sony is dumping hardware emulation of PS2 games within just the first year of console's life-span, then they will need to make software emulation work or suffer the consequences for the next decade. Basically, they had better make it work.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread