Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Modern classics?

Sparkster
Furfag

Member 11874

Level 8.06

Aug 2006

Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:08 PM #1 of 30
Post Modern classics?

I was thinking about what games people would consider classics in ten years or so, and I figured I'd make a list of those games or series I personally consider modern classics. Feel free to tell what you think yours are! These can be games from the current (xbox360, ps3, wii) and last generation (ps2, xbox, gamecube, dreamcast). there can be pc games, of course.

Max Payne (Series): Ridiculous constipated stare aside, Max might as well be the single most depressing character in all of video gaming. Through his trilogy, we saw him fall down so deep and so hard, going through things that would turn black men white. Anyone in his situation would've given up way before the second game, and yet he soldiered on, throwing himself through stuff that ruined him further, guns blazing, out of sheer determination. He is the male Chell, minus the portal gun.

He was created at a time when most video game characters lacked personality, and some of the exceptions had personalities that were pure jokes (hi duke!). Same goes with the story, one of a man who fell from heaven and into hell, and who had to claw his way out of it throughout three games no matter what the cost would be. It also helped that the controls were simple and intuitive, and that the gameplay was almost pure bliss, regardless of how linear the games were.

Portal (Series): Let's make this clear right away: Glados is what Shodan would have become had she been created by brilliant incompetents. Now that it's out of the way, we have two games, two first person shooter games, where the only gun you have at your disposition cannot directly kill. That should have doomed it, and yet it's one of the most important series in a sea of shooters that were getting blander by the sequel. Just like what Dead Space did to the survival horror genre, Portal practically snaped the first person shooter genre out of its condescending coma with its gameplay, story and characters. out of all the games I listed here, these are the truest classics, hands down. Portal 2 even managed to be an even funnier game, and was filled with unforgettable characters, no matter how minor. ("I am different."; "SPAAAAAAAACE"). The ending also gave back the word Epic its meaning, but I wouldn't want to spoil it for you, so go play it.

Dead Space (1 and 2): It happened in 2008. Electronic Arts apologized for their sequels stagnation, ruining mythical companies they've bought, and generally being money-grubbing assholes. You can tell that the new big wigs at EA today didn't read that letter. Still, shortly after their apology, they announced two games: Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge. The first was to be a hardcore survival horror game and the second a first person shooter platformer, a parkour simulator. We were all skeptical, but at the same time, deep within our hearts, we were hopeful. Resident Evil had already started to veer off its roots, and Silent Hill had become something of a joke. When Dead Space came out, we all shat bricks as we realized that not only had EA made a genuinely great game, but that it also was the most important game in its genre since Silent Hill showed up and made us realize that you didn't need to put zombies in a game to scare us shitless. It was creepy, scary, twisted, and even fun! You weren't some space marine or superpowered action hero, you were literally an engineer, and your weapons were literal tools. Your enemies were even more grotesque than what Silent Hill could churn out, and the death scenes were downright cruel at times But how did it play? Delightfully. It quite was Resident Evil 4's controls with the scariness of the first and second Silent Hill games combined. It also was hard even at the easy difficulty, and it could genuinely scare you off your pants. Personally, I love playing horror games in the dark, and while these games aren't as scary as Amnesia: The dark descent, Dead Space 1 and 2 still are some of the only games to actually scare me into taking a break, or feeling my heart beat at 200km/h, or make me stare at the screen in disbelief (the good kind!). The bosses were trully intimidating, and I couldn't help but have a gigantic grin on my face when I finished off the final boss in dead space. Then my grin disappeared when I realized I'd have to go through the sequel. horror~

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare: Admit it, you're sarcastically snickering as you read the title. How could a call of duty game possibly be a classic? Well I'll tell you what, It was one of the few games that had huge, massive balls the size of the sun. It was pretty common that you'd see supporting characters die in a video game, but what call of duty 4 did, killing off one of the MAIN characters mid-game in the most unfair, merciless ways possible, right after a huge victory, all the while you are still controlling that character. And unlike its sequels and spin-offs, it was a death that didn't seem pointless even if it came out of nowhere. While CoD4 Told you "Sometimes, things simply get out of your control and there's nothing you can really do about that", MW2 told you "We just threw a stupid, cheap gimmick at your face to rake in the dough". CoD4's story also felt more grounded in reality than the unrealistic mindfucks that Modern Warfare 2 and 3 forced down your throat. It was difficult, yet satisfying, and its multiplayer was pretty great too!

Half-Life 2 (and its episodes): Where Doom 3 tried to scare you with artificial limitations and graphics that seemed wonky even then, HL2 scared you with the mere fact that earth had been conquered in the span of NOT EVEN A FULL DAY, and you were gonna have to save it mostly by yourself. Also, Ravenholm. And while everyone in Doom 3 looked like toys that were zoomed-in, the people and monsters from Half-Life 2 looked and still look remarkably realistic even in an engine that is nearly 10 years old. Its story was good, and you actually cared about its characters. Also, the gravity gun is one of the most iconic weapons in videogaming as a whole. It's also pure bliss to use. The game was fun, memorable (even if some of its progression didn't make sense. Nova Prospekt, anyone?), and while the episodes aren't as good as Half Life 2, they're still great games on their own.

Mortal Kombat (9): Look guys, I learned to love Street Fighter games only last year, and while I really loved SF4, I'm not well-versed enough in the other games in the series to understand if it's a classic or not. Now, Mortal Kombat. The last few games in the series were jokes, and they weren't even funny. Deadly Alliance was a great fighting game with unique gameplay, but even Deception which was still great, had started to dumb down the combat, while Armageddon completely ruined it. MK Vs DC doesn't exist. also, ever since John Tobias had left for greener pastures, the characters had started to become blander. It wasn't so bad in Deadly Alliance where the characters still looked badass (DA Scorpion is still my favourite Scorpion of all the mk games), but it all culminated in Armageddon and MK Vs DC (which doesn't exist), where the characters looked vaguely interesting at best, and downright generic at worst, and the story had become a clusterfuck of fuck. Midway was ruining everything they touched in their last years, MK included, and when they went belly up and Warner Bros took hold of what is now known as Netherealm Studios, we feared for the worst... until we saw the game in action, even before it was released. For starters, they were given free reign in making the game as violent as they wanted, they listened to fans' complaints, and they even brought back Dan Forden for the game's music (which had become bland orchestral shit starting with Deception). They even managed to make the characters look great again. Then, the best part was revealed: It was a reboot of some sort, where Shao Kahn won in the events of Armageddon, and Raiden was forced to send a mental message THROUGH TIME, all the way back to MK1's Raiden so that he could try to avoid the same mistakes from being commited. It seemed wonky at first, But when you played the game and went through the lengthy story mode, it made more sense and did a ton of good to the storyline as a whole, even throwing in honest-to-god, legitimate twists, some caused by Raiden's own growing despair through the game. The fighting engine had changed once again, and this time it morphed into a beautiful combat butterfly. There was a whole lot of characters, and they all played somewhat differently. Speaking of the characters, They even managed to throw in two of the best exclusive characters in fighting game history: Freddy Krueger from A nightmare on Elm street, and Kratos from God of war, with Kratos being even more brutal and savage than most MK characters (you should see his fatalities!). It was a great game with a great story.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Woah
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:49 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2012, 09:49 PM 1 #2 of 30
I doubt you'l get much support for touting the story in a Mortal Kombat game as defining it as a future classic, especially as Kratos is also available in the most recent Soul Calibur game. Also no, none of the Modern Warfare games are remembered two weeks after the newest comes out, let alone in ten years time but each to their own.

I don't think any FPS from the last few years will be regarded as a classic in the future, if only because there are so damn many of them. I think in ten years time, Halo Reach will be seen as the defining end of a genre, as the last FPS game without a retarded unlock-better-stuff-by-playing-lots mechanic that serves only to alienate occasional players. When in ten years time you have to pay real money to access the only guns that give you a hint of a chance to kill people online, you'll think back and remember how everyone in Reach started every match with the same gun and how much better that was as a system.

I also believe people will look back at Shadow of the Colossus with great fondness, if only because it was one of the first games (Mainstream PS2 games anyway) to embrace the idea of a game as a work of art and it's just such a stunning looking game that you don't realise how little there is to do and how simple a concept it is.

Other than that, I think the vasty majority of modern games are fairly forgettable, with endless sequels and imitators serving only to dilute the impact further.

How ya doing, buddy?
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:19 PM #3 of 30
Hopefully ten years from now if people want a modern classic, they won't have to look any further than the Batman Arkham games. Detective work, running around a huge area, beating up bad guys with a solid fighting system and various gadgets, it's just about everything you would want in a Batman game but more importantly they're both fun games in general.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with MK9. I thought the story was one of the best in 2011 and it's a pretty solid fighting game. However, people will probably opt for Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition or Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 over MK9.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:37 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2012, 03:37 PM 1 #4 of 30
As usual, just going to say that Left 4 Dead (2) should live on as one of the classic FPS games. It has incredible depth, no bullshit to unlock, no stupid RPG stats, and multiplayer versus makes it the best teamwork game ever. Sadly, it's unlikely anyone will ever give a shit about it because Valve couldn't release all of its free content/patches to the 360, and using a joystick destroys so many of the things needed to be done in that game. Also, it takes well over 100 hours to really get the depth of the strategy and develop some sense of how to play the game well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:39 PM #5 of 30
Unfortunately L4D2 really only shines in multiplayer and the L4D multi community has a bad case of the DOTA monsters.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:19 PM #6 of 30
Is GTA3 classic now? Really helped set the standard for open-world games.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:29 PM #7 of 30
I think the amount of fighting game e-sports surrounding Super Street Fighter IV and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 guarantees they will be around for a long time, provided they are not replaced by sequels. Other games have been in and out of the 2D rotation (I don't follow the 3D fighting game scene), but these two are the ones people keep coming back to and two of the big games that e-sports and money matches for fighting games has grown up around.

What is funny about Ultimate Marvel is that it looks and plays like a trainwreck at times (full X-Factor comebacks look horrible, but are by design), but it has that "one more game" syndrome dwelling within that leads to people hogging the set-ups.

FELIPE NO
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:51 PM 1 #8 of 30
I'm just glad the fighting game community stuck with SSFIV/UMVC3 instead of the hilarious transition to fucking Skullgirls that a lot of the Pro Fighting Games Experts seemed to be hoping for.

Is GTA3 classic now? Really helped set the standard for open-world games.
I'd argue that GTAVC has stood the test of time a lot better than 3; 3 was in a lot of ways still hampered by some of the goofier aspects of its 2D predecessors.

RE Max Payne: I love the games but each of them are burdened with one janky aspect or another that prevents me from recommending them without reservations.

To add something more positive to the thread I think it's pretty reasonable to claim some kind of classic status for TF2 at this point; hats or no hats the game's demonstrated the kind of long-haul appeal that's kept Counter-Strike going all this time.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:41 PM #9 of 30
Yeah, Skullgirls died off pretty quick. Not enough characters and the graphic style is too offputting for a lot of players (it attracted mostly the anime fighters crowd) It seems to be replaced in the mix of tournament games by Persona 4 Arena, which seems to have more staying power at the moment (who knows where this game is going to be even a year from now). No huge surprise there to see it relegated to cult status.

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:47 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2012, 04:47 AM #10 of 30
Doesn't help Skullgirls much that the balance patch is taking forever to release and that the supposed PC release is still a mystery.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:39 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2012, 02:39 PM #11 of 30
Haven't played as many games as you guys so it's hard to have a fair and significant opinion, but I do think the Left 4 Dead series will stand as a landmark for two reasons (aside from being damn good games): 1. they made cooperative gaming cool, effectively providing PC gamers with an all-new experience and 2. the Director dynamically reshuffling items and enemy locations provided for an unprecedented replay value, making each session feel unique and every game with fixed item locations suddenly look very old.

I'm sure the L4D series didn't "invent" either and that both have been done better since, but they'll definitely be remembered as the games that first made these concepts cool.

I also agree the Portal series have the potential to become iconic, as you've pointed out, thanks to a unique concept and exceptional work on characters and voice acting. GLaDOS is video gaming's HAL 9000. I've replayed the games and watched gameplay videos just to hear her lines and Wheatley's again.

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:17 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2012, 11:17 AM #12 of 30
I just thought of the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series of games, and I feel it could very well be cited as an example of a gamer's game years after Nintendo Hard was out of style. I've only played the second one and it was a pretty big test of patience at times, accompanied by a sense of accomplishment that I haven't felt too much with gaming in the last few years. It wasn't just hard though, I felt it was well made and especially fun as well.

Just like Face though I don't play nearly as many of the newer games as most people here, so maybe it wasn't all that innovative and I just happened to not play other games of its ilk that were made around the same time or before it.

Edit: I think I love this game so much because when I played it I felt like Castlevania was finally relevant again, if only in the game's spirit. Sure, it isn't the same game by any stretch of the imagination. But it did make me relive my childhood fascination with that series and its ambiance. It gave me a glimpse of how awesome the games could be now, instead of a bunch of rehashes of SOTN and bad knockoffs of Legacy of Kain/Prince of Persia/God of War/what have you.

Juggle dammit

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Nov 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:18 PM #13 of 30
I just thought of the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series of games, and I feel it could very well be cited as an example of a gamer's game years after Nintendo Hard was out of style.
(I haven't played Demon's Souls but) As much as I enjoy Dark Souls, its a little early to call it a classic, I think. Its a great game and I'm pleased that its a difficult grind (after leaving the asylum, how many damn times did I die because of those damned skeletons? Then I came back with a mace and IT WAS ON) and think it will stand the test of time.

Perhaps more of a classic like FFT - only those with true grit remember how difficult / rewarding it was.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:25 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2012, 01:25 PM #14 of 30
What is it with you and saying FFT was difficult? I really don't get that, I found it easy to the point of being boring towards the end but then I did play the PSP version, perhaps they dumbed it down a bit for that?

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:33 AM #15 of 30
What is it with you and saying FFT was difficult?
Theres a couple of battles in specific - the first against Wiegraf, the one where Wiegraf turns into a Zodiac demon, any time the game makes you fight a map of chocobos, the damn ninja fight on top of the monastery, anything where its "Protect Dumb Douchefuck" during a battle and then they charge right into the thick of it. After a certain point toward the end of the game (I'd say around where you get the option of going into the Deep Dungeons), the game takes a nosedive in difficulty, but by that time you've spent 4/5ths of your playing time on random missions grinding your forces into a fine blade.

I haven't played the War Of The Lions because, well, I still have my original PS1 disc. But the PSP version does allow you to have more party members, so that would definitely decrease the difficulty somewhat.

Most amazing jew boots
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 08:15 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2012, 02:15 PM #16 of 30
I remember the first Wiegraf one being a bit of a bitch but none of those others strike me as particularly taxing, I guess the extra characters does make a difference.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:27 AM #17 of 30
Golgorand Execution Site was a particularly nasty battle if the game refused to let you steal/break Gafgarion's sword quickly. Even then the two time mages up on an arch could make your life hell. I don't remember having any trouble with the first Wiegraf battle, but I'd agree with all the others LeHah named. Basically anything connected with Riovanes Castle is evil.

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:18 PM #18 of 30
Golgorand Execution Site was a particularly nasty battle if the game refused to let you steal/break Gafgarion's sword quickly.
I never had much of a problem with that - but only because I defeated Gafgarion "normally". My friend Dave always tried to break or steal his sword and screamed like a girl when he died over and over.

(Dave screamed like a girl at a lot of games though. Especially Contra 3, the greatest thing ever invented.)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:42 PM 1 #19 of 30
FFT lost me when I couldn't get out of the string of consecutive battles at the end of Chapter 3 (the second of which I didn't have a chance of winning without auto-potion) and had to restart. Shame on me for not using multiple saves, shame on the game for allowing such a killer design flaw.

I'm hesitant to call it a classic due to the above, but ultimately, it was one of the first SRPG's that most people played, so...yeah. And I'm one of the people that hates the dumbing down of difficulty in RPG's nowadays (I enjoyed the game up until that one point, despite dying a lot).

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:44 PM 1 #20 of 30
I'm hesitant to call it a classic due to the above
You're saying its not a classic because you're too dumb to get one of the most necessary abilities found in every FF game?

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:31 PM #21 of 30
Sorry, I'm not psychic enough to foresee skills/items that I'm unable to go back and obtain at a certain point in time. More power to you if you were born with this skill.

Go back and re-read my post (instead of quoting a tiny portion of it) and you'll see I grudgingly and unenthusiastically DID say it was a classic, despite that design flaw.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:13 AM 1 #22 of 30
Sorry, I'm not psychic enough to foresee skills/items that I'm unable to go back and obtain at a certain point in time. More power to you if you were born with this skill.

Go back and re-read my post (instead of quoting a tiny portion of it) and you'll see I grudgingly and unenthusiastically DID say it was a classic, despite that design flaw.
It cool brah, one love.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:15 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2012, 01:15 PM #23 of 30
I don't think any FPS from the last few years will be regarded as a classic in the future, if only because there are so damn many of them.
To be fair, five years after its release, Bioshock is still my favorite FPS shooter of all time. I know that's hardly what one thinks of when a FPS is brought up, but that's my yardstick. I still talk about it fondly and listen to its soundtrack all the time. To me, that game was the complete package of things I look for in a great video game.

However, I did enjoy a few of the cookie-cutter ones like Modern Warfare quite a bit but I have yet to meet someone tout the story of Black Ops as the pinnacle of video game plots and I don't know anyone who even remembers the villain's name in that. Kids just want to shoot shit.

FELIPE NO
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:47 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2012, 11:47 PM 1 #24 of 30
Bioshock's problem was exactly that it was an FPS and not a particularly good one. There was so much shooting and no other options to interact with anything. It didn't matter if the weapon was shaped like a gun or a hand with a funky special effect on it, they all fired like guns and you groaned whenever the game threw yet another wave of enemies to kill.

How ya doing, buddy?

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:34 PM #25 of 30
Bioshock's problem was exactly that it was an FPS and not a particularly good one. There was so much shooting and no other options to interact with anything. It didn't matter if the weapon was shaped like a gun or a hand with a funky special effect on it, they all fired like guns and you groaned whenever the game threw yet another wave of enemies to kill.
Exactly this.

Also: it was just an inferior System Shock.

I'd say Half-Life 2 long before this game.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Modern classics?