Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Best gaming controllers?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:34 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2011, 09:34 PM #1 of 26
Best gaming controllers?

Today, while playing Marvel vs. Capcom with a few of my students over XBL, we got into a heated argument over console controllers (one of them insisted that the dinner plate-sized original Xbox controller was the best controller ever made; a declaration which made him the target of immediate ridicule). What was your favorite controller that's ever been made for, well... anything, really? PC or console? Doesn't matter. What about a controller you consider be god-awful?

In before everyone claims the original NES controller was the best controller ever.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:40 PM #2 of 26
I still like the original launch ps1 controller. The weight of it is what most important to me besides the comfortable ergonomic design. I have such feminine hands, wrists and arms that its not funny, I'd want an easy controller to be spending hours with.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:01 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2011, 11:01 PM #3 of 26
Call me mad; I liked the SEGA Genesis Controller. Just something about it; it molded to my hands.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:07 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2011, 11:07 PM #4 of 26
The best controller ever was the Dualshock 2. Everything about it just felt right, like my hands had finally found their home after a long and arduous journey.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:04 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 09:04 AM 2 #5 of 26
The SNES controller is the greatest controller ever made, sorry.

So comfortable to hold, pleasing on the eyes, wonderful button placement, wonderful dpad.

Second favourite is the Saturn controller, of which I use a USB version on my computer.

For analogue controllers, I like the 360 pad, but the dpad is kinda poor.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:39 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 12:39 AM #6 of 26
Call me mad; I liked the SEGA Genesis Controller. Just something about it; it molded to my hands.
I never really adapted too well to the Genesis controller but it wasn't uncomfortable by any stretch of the mind so I don't think anyone would think you "mad" for liking it. Then again, Sega did have a track record of abysmal controller executions that I'm sure sounded great in concept.

Like this, for example...

FUCK YO KINECT, NIGGA!

The SNES controller is the greatest controller ever made, sorry.
The actual face of the pad was flawless, yes. The shoulder buttons were another matter entirely. We spent a lot of time playing games like F-Zero and I relied a fuckton on the shoulder buttons, which cramped my index fingers after a couple of hours at the helm.

For the record, I think that the new Xbox controller has the triggers down perfectly, I just hate the D-pad. Anyone who has attempted to play Tetris or Chime with that shit knows exactly what I'm talking about.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:54 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 12:54 PM #7 of 26
I still love the Dreamcast controller to DEATH. But The 360 one is GOAT. easily.

no homo
Rangel
Not as new as he looks

Member 1986

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:58 AM #8 of 26
Pretty sure I’m going to get a lot of slack for this vote, as well as disses, but I liked the N64 Controller

Sure, you almost never used the left half of the controller, but while playing games like Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time I really felt this controller sat well in my hand. It was also a good controller for the original Super Smash Bros.

I will admit, this controller has its flaws, but I just loved using that Z trigger for Goldeneye and my grip on the controller always seemed to fit well.

Laugh all you want, but I enjoyed this controller!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:20 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 04:20 PM #9 of 26
I like the N64 controller too. The analogue stick is still good for me, but then I never wore mine out by bashing away at Mario Party.

Considering how little I hear complaints about how bad the Dual Shock sticks (still) are, the N64 controller gets way too much unfair bashing.

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:24 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 10:54 AM #10 of 26
I got to go with Qwarky on this topic. I absolutely enjoyed the snes controller as my favorite controller of all time.

I guess it was the controller that I spent the most time with. I will agree i did not find the L and R buttons very sturdy. I remember having two sets of snes controllers and the L and R buttons were the first buttons to go, but something about the placement of the controller on my hands felt right.

I love the snes controller so much, when it comes to playing my wii games, I always prefer to use the classic controller from my Nintendo Wii, even though it is a little more compacted than the original snes controller it uses a lot of the same designs. I'm actually pretty comfortable using the controller when playing some of my wii games.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:36 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 04:36 PM #11 of 26
The shoulder buttons have always worked well for me. The placement is good, and they are just the right depth. Compare them to, say, the PSP shoulder buttons, which are quite awful, rickety, clicky things.

I've destroyed one SNES controller in my life time, and I've owned a SNES for about 19 years now. My first (extra) controller had its Y button worn out, mostly because practically every SNES game I played used the Y for running or shooting, so I was always using it.

It got to the point where it no longer moved down and was just kinda there, as if the plastic of the button was there, but there was no connector under it left to register a button press, much less spring the button back up a bit. I kept using it (by pressing the Y a little bit harder) until the B button no longer worked, making it impossible for me to play Stunt Race FX. It was a sad day.

Mind you, it wasn't an official controller, it was shaped just like it, but it had turbo and autofire switches as well. Auto-switched X in Super Probotector/Contra III for dual speed machinegun barrage erryday.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Mar 28, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:49 AM 5 #12 of 26
Gentlemen:

Not the best system by a long shot, but the controller was another matter all together. I'd go so far as to call it one of the best. It fit perfectly in your hand, the buttons were all given unique shapes to make your fingers instantly recognize which ones were which, the analog sticks and D-pads were above reproach as usual, and the triggers were awesome. IMO there have yet to be triggers as comfortable and fun to use as the ones on the GC controllers (though the 360 has some pretty excellent ones). Super deep impression with a nice hard click at the bottom. I loved this controller. If only there were better games to take advantage of it.

How ya doing, buddy?
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:10 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 07:10 AM #13 of 26
SNES controller was too flat for me. The design in general was good, but didn't sit well due to the natural curve of hands. The playstation controllers have always been a favorite of mine until the ps3, in which the shoulder buttons are a pain. I like the shoulder buttons on the 360.

Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:56 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 08:56 AM #14 of 26
Am I the only person that doesn't like the movement to two different shoulder buttons? My favorite is easily the SNES since it has the best d-pad, great button feel, and only two shoulder buttons.

I think my last favorite has to be the Genesis. Especially when games would tell you to hit the A and C buttons at the same time.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rangel
Not as new as he looks

Member 1986

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:06 AM #15 of 26
Am I the only person that doesn't like the movement to two different shoulder buttons? My favorite is easily the SNES since it has the best d-pad, great button feel, and only two shoulder buttons.

I think my last favorite has to be the Genesis. Especially when games would tell you to hit the A and C buttons at the same time.
I can't stand two different shoulder buttons. Half the time I can't even remember to use the second one. I feel like one is sufficient. Less is more...

Says the guy who said he loved the N64 Controller…

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:52 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 06:52 PM #16 of 26
I don't like moving back and forth between two rows of shoulder buttons, and it's impossible for me to hold the controller with both index and middle fingers resting on the shoulder buttons. I mean, I can do it, but it's uncomfortable as fuck, and you need those middle fingers to better hold the controller.

I personally enjoy the wired GC controller over the wavebird. It's a lighter and less bulky. dpad was too tiny for anything other than visor selection in Metroid Prime.

And Gamecube has a LOT of excellent games, getdafuckouttahere. Unless you were a fag who bought all multiplatforms for the PS2 and its noodle sticks. And didn't play any Sega made exclusives.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:00 PM 1 #17 of 26
And Gamecube has a LOT of excellent games, getdafuckouttahere. Unless you were a fag who bought all multiplatforms for the PS2 and its noodle sticks. And didn't play any Sega made exclusives.
Don't get me wrong, the GC has some of the best games I've ever played in my life (Metroid Prime is a flawless game, Wind Waker is criminally underrated, Smash Bros Melee/Mario Kart/Mario Party 5 gave me years of fun), but... Hmm, the more I think about it, the GC did have more great games than I gave it credit for. Carry on!

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:15 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 10:15 AM #18 of 26
THANK YOU. Finally someone else said it. This here was my favorite controller design of all time except that the D-pad was too tiny for adult fingers but none of us ever used the D-pad for anything other than camera angle changes. But the controller itself felt like it was perfectly molded to the very contours of your palm and both analogue sticks were pretty much perfectly placed considering how much you used your right hand. Anyone who's ever played Viewtiful Joe on the Cube and on the PS2 knows that the Cube version is vastly superior simply because the controller buttons just lent themselves that much better to the entire feel of the game and many games share this same experience. I barely got to playing Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door and picking up my controller just to play a simple RPG is still amazing.

The rest of my wired Cube controllers I keep at the school on the off chance that I'll get a group of students in the lounge that wanna throw down in Melee (Yes, I still have that too) and then
IT'S ON, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

Additional Spam:
Don't get me wrong, the GC has some of the best games I've ever played in my life (Metroid Prime is a flawless game, Wind Waker is criminally underrated, Smash Bros Melee/Mario Kart/Mario Party 5 gave me years of fun), but... Hmm, the more I think about it, the GC did have more great games than I gave it credit for. Carry on!
Don't forget F-Zero GX, Super Mario Sunshine, Baten Kaitos and DK Jungle Beat (which I still have but no longer have the Bongo Controller it shipped with ). Shit... Even the Metal Gear Solid remake was fucking awesome simply because the controller just FELT more comfortable to move about with.

Last edited by Paco; Mar 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:54 PM 1 #19 of 26

Seconding the original PS1 controller. It's very... orthogonal. I like the feeling of precision from the split D-pad and the flat buttons. I can easily think of the face buttons as arranged in a cross shape, unlike the SNES, where I always think of them as two rows of two. The shoulder buttons are easy to reach and are all identical (no triggers vs. bumpers here). What I like most about it, though, is that it was before all the pressure-sensitive and analogue stuff got popular. I like the simple clicky-clacky on/off feel--the GameCube shoulder buttons are way too squishy for me, in contrast. Maybe it has something to do with my methodical approach to most games, but I prefer to make a thousand micro-tap adjustments.

I also have to say that I loved the N64 controls in Turok and Goldeneye (if you used the 1.2 Solitaire control style). C-button movement + stick aiming = WASD + mouse.

The 360 is probably the most comfortable for the modern dual-analogue stuff, though.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:59 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2011, 01:59 PM #20 of 26
Talking about N64 controllers...

I think that's the one I bought him for Christmas one year. It was actually a fantastic controller. You were able to hit both the Z and L buttons at the same time, as well as reach the d-pad and analog stick with your thumb without changing positions. The only real problem was the Z-button wore after a lot of use and tended to get jammed so it took a lot of extra pressure to get it to active occasionally (or it could have just been caused by my bro throwing the controller).

My only problem with the Gamecube controller was always forgetting the Z button existed. I did like the feel of its triggers, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:57 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2011, 06:57 AM #21 of 26
I didn't have a chance to forget about the z button on the gamecube controller thanks to Metroid Prime and the bosses of OH GOD WHY DOES MY POINTER FINGER HURT FROM TARGETING SO MUCH.

Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:21 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2011, 05:21 PM #22 of 26
what

The Z button was used to bring out the map.

How ya doing, buddy?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:45 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2011, 08:45 AM #23 of 26
Maybe the way YOU had it set. On MY game it was a macro that typed "IDFA", the number "9" and fired the BFG9000.

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:48 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2011, 05:48 PM #24 of 26
>ence using cheats in Doom
>no surprises

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:52 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2011, 08:52 AM #25 of 26
what is this "doom" you speak of? >__>

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Best gaming controllers?