Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collections

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:26 PM 1 #1 of 16
Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collections

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection Arrives In The West This April [Update] // Siliconera

The complete collection of Final Fantasy 4 pops up on PSP in April. It will include The After Years and a new story linking both games.

Honestly, I'm pretty stoked. I never got around to finishing the DS version cause it was a bit brutal in terms of battles. (Level 70 in the Giant part after the Moon, and normal fights still kick my ass). Plus I've wanted to play After Years but didn't want to fiddle with trying to get it on VC.

Amazon has it for pre-order for an April 19th release with a fun little tidbit:

Bonus Features That Fans Demand: Original SNES soundtrack, an all-new intro movie and cinematic CGI sequences from previous release, and a monster encyclopedia that covers details of over 300 enemies are all included within the game.

That bit interests me. Which makes me wonder if you'll be able to choose which version's music you want to hear while playing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:48 PM #2 of 16
I'm surprised to see that it's only $30 instead of Square's usual $40 price tag, but it's still nowhere near the top of my list to buy. I've already got 3 versions of FF IV, and aside from saving me the trouble of buying the rest of the After Years chapters there isn't much incentive here to buy the same game for a fourth time.

How ya doing, buddy?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:20 PM #3 of 16
Wow, it's coming out sooner than I thought. I never completed it on the SNES, never bought it on the GBA and avoided the DS version like the plague (The 3D turned me off), so yes, I'm excited for the PSP version with the updated sprites (and still in 2D. Yay!) and the After Years although I heard that one sucked.

Cheap price too. The only I am upset about is the release date. I may go on a trip in April and I'll be already gone by the 19th if I am able to go.

P.S. 300 enemies? Really? Bet most of those are just recolours.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:11 PM #4 of 16
While the 3D was a bit odd to get used to, the DS version wasn't too bad. It was just way overtuned in difficulty. Well, I felt that way at least when simple random battles felt like boss battles because the enemies would attack super fast. I may go back and try to complete it at some point.

The price surprised me as well, but I noticed on Gamestop's site that Dissidia 2 was reduced to $29.99 and I don't know if that's a permanent drop, or just a special deal. So maybe Square is dropping their PSP game prices? Or at least with the Final Fantasy titles?

I'm starting to have a little hope that Final Fantasy 6 will get the same treatment soon.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:33 AM #5 of 16
I'll probably pick this up, though maybe a little later after its release. I liked the original on PS1 and I'm also glad this isn't just a port of the DS version; I wasn't impressed with the graphical updates or the music updates and the upped difficulty just kicked my ass.

I like how the graphics are getting the same treatment as FFI did (and I'm assuming FFII). Also hoping they redo the music again, even though it probably doesn't need it.

I'll also be picking it up for After Years being on there, I've been wanting to try that for a while now. It still baffles me on how they could have a sequel for FF4 when the first game concluded rather well.

I'm starting to have a little hope that Final Fantasy 6 will get the same treatment soon.
I'd be surprised if they didn't do 5 first.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:47 AM #6 of 16
I dunno. I thought the character designs in FFIV were horrible. My opinion of course, but some things should just remain in 2D.

That said, I really don't think FFVI needs any sort of update. The sprites already look detailed enough to warrant any tweaking and I think the music is already fine as is. If they ever turn it 3D though...I shudder at the thought.

As for Dissidia, I'm not sure if I'll get it or not. I had fun with the first game but playing by yourself gets old after a bit. I'd buy it first thing if it has Zack though, and fat chance of that happening.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:38 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2011, 06:38 PM #7 of 16
Quote:
While the 3D was a bit odd to get used to, the DS version wasn't too bad. It was just way overtuned in difficulty. Well, I felt that way at least when simple random battles felt like boss battles because the enemies would attack super fast. I may go back and try to complete it at some point.
I didn't find out about all those extra things you could mod onto your characters until around the point I went to the moon. I never finished the game (got annoyed at that part I had missed all sorts of things and ragequit), but I didn't think it was too crazy difficult. Did they just change up the difficulty so it was more like the FF4 Jap version instead of the American one?

FELIPE NO
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:27 PM #8 of 16
When the game was re-released as FF Chronicles for the PS1 in America it had the original difficulty from the Japanese SNES version of the game. The DS version was more difficult for me, though part of that might have been due to ignoring the augment system or whatever it was called. When I was at the final boss of the PS1 version I think I was around levels 55-60, but in the DS version I was around level 70.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:04 PM #9 of 16
Came out today. Picked this gem up. So far its kinda easy, which disappoints me a bit. I know I've bitched about the difficulty of the DS version and glad it isn't THAT hard, but still would have liked it to be a bit difficult like the GBA version was (not that that one was hard, but it wasn't easy like SNES). Anyways...

Option to have the original music playing instead of the arranged (big plus) would have been sweet if they had an option for original graphics .

After the cinematic you can choose what to play, either FF4, FF4 Interlude (the arc that combines the games) or FF After Years. Which is nifty, but I still started from the beginning.

Overall the game looks purdy and even though I've played 4 like a thousand times, always nice to play it again in a different look.

Anyone else get it today?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:45 AM #10 of 16
I actually imported it about a month ago [or whenever it was that it came out] cause it has an English setting like the FFI/FFII PSP remakes... And [as much as I hate to admit it] FFIV is one of the only [the other being FFV] in the series that I haven't beaten yet.

I'm at the final bit of FFIV now, and will definitely be playing through the other two arcs. I rather like how they reworked this one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:02 AM #11 of 16
and after further playing, the difficulty is really nice. The RNG system is a bit... odd though, as sometimes you can wander around for a minute or so and not come across a fight, other times you'll fight every fucking step. Also there were times where I just couldn't hit the enemy. Like I went 2 full rounds of people missing attacks. Brutal.

I'm actually pleased that it isn't as faceroll as I thought it would be from the beginning. Although I fucked myself out of 100% beastiary... again. All because I didn't attack Doctor Lugae when you first fight him and I stayed strictly on Balnab.

I'm having fun and can't wait to start in on the other two chapters.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 03:09 PM #12 of 16
Haven't gotten it yet but will get it early May. Looking forward to playing it. I never played much of it back on the SNES and therefore don't know anything about the story. It'd be like a whole new game for me.

You mentioned the difficulty is easy. Is it as easy as say, GBA Dawn of Souls? That difficulty in that game was a joke compared to the original versions but on the other hand, FF was so very hard on the NES that I never could beat it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:14 PM #13 of 16
FF1 on NES was beastly, because you only had up to 9 spells you could cast for each spell rank, I believe (unless it was 9 total, it has been quite a while since I played that).

Well, it began out easy, like SNES easy. Then when I got to the Underworld and entered the Sylvan cave, it was like I got punched in the face. I'm actually having to grind out more levels before attempting my way through that and the Feymarch. The stuff beyond is going to be fun. :3

I was speaking idiomatically.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:51 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 12:51 PM #14 of 16
This version is based on Easytype, yes. It's a shame because the improvements made in the DS version could have and should have been incorporated. At least in terms of dungeon lengthening and challenge.

Interlude was disappointment of the forever. Glad I never played After Years before this or I'd feel kinda angry that I was misled about the quantity of new content.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:22 PM #15 of 16
I heard Interlude should have been a bit better. I'll find out soon. Still grinding to do those damn caves.

Also I lol'd at a conversation blurb in the game. In Fabul, after the ruckus, I talked to the bar guy in one of the towers and he was like "Now that was a fight of extraordinary magnitude." Oooh Fistful of Yen you.

FELIPE NO

InvestmentBankr
Banned

Member 35157

Level 5.67

Jan 2010

Old May 2, 2011, 05:27 AM #16 of 16
I've finished the entire game and as a person who considers it one of my favorite games of all time back in the old days, I give my very best recommendation to this, whether you like Final Fantasy games or RPG games in general.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collections