Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Decaying virgin games

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 09:18 PM #1 of 19
Decaying virgin games

Yeah, you know the ones. The ones that are still there collecting dust for over the past decade or two. What the heck are you guys DOING? Just cleaning the dust bunnies for them? Are you EVER going to play them? Are they just as boring as stuffed animals for display? Come on!

After I made my backlog over at backloggery, and recognize a few of these decaying unfinished games on there. I freaked and knew I need to get my butt in gear to go through those. Thanks to my dedication to finishing decaying games AND systems, I managed to finish the following the backlogs on the Dreamcast, Xbox, and one game away from the Saturn. N64 could had been on this list if it wasn't for VC (Ogre Battle). I'm pretty glad I've went through these because it'd be about time for some of these systems to die/become useless/b0rked among of other things (supply/demand).

But that brings up an interesting and a sad question. Are you saving these games til you find a better way to play them on? Seriously? Ports/digital distribution be damned?

There's other factors you guys should consider. The quality may not be the same! (Looking at you Lunar.) The controls aren't as forgiving! (Mario Tennis for Wii) Doesn't hold the spirit of the original! (Looking at you Shining Force RoDD.) Added some shit character to fuck things up! (Looking at you NiGHTS.) These are obviously the among of the many that we once looked forward to but ended up with in utter complete disappoint or disgust. Don't do that to yourself! Play them today!

:Note: Add about restricted to system backlogs (digital distribution), battery powered saves, platform specific that has no backwards compatibility.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 10:14 PM Local time: May 17, 2010, 09:14 PM 3 #2 of 19
If really pressed, I would probably half to admit to not actually playing a 1/4 of my backlog for longer than ten minutes. Back in the day I was collecting games, but far too busy to actually get to them. As such, I have a laundry list of PSX titles I just never really got around to. I slowly go back, but as I'm trying to keep up with the games I play now? Maybe when uni is done forever.

There will be time then...

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 01:21 PM Local time: May 19, 2010, 11:21 AM #3 of 19
Man, I've got so many PSX Strategy/Tactics games I bought but never played. I remember playing FFT and Vandal Hearts and loving both of them, so I started buying a shit ton of them only to realize most of them are boring as hell and I didn't want to ever touch again. I remember one of the games (I think Hoshigami?) where it required 13 button presses for each turn of each character.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 03:22 PM Local time: May 19, 2010, 09:22 PM #4 of 19
I've got quite a few PS2 games I bought but never got round to playing. Samurai Western and Metal Gear 3 are the two I've had the longest, except perhaps La Pucelle Tactics which I bought, played for about ten minutes then ditched as it's boring as fuck and the in-between battles bits are really annoying.

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 03:27 PM #5 of 19
Which brings us to this question. Why are they still ON the shelf exactly?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 03:41 PM Local time: May 19, 2010, 02:41 PM #6 of 19
Because the mere fact that i could could play them means i can't sell them.

I've only actually played about half the games i own. second hand buying created a monster out of me for about a year, where i would go down to the local second hand store, pick up about 5 games for 5-9 dollars a piece, and actually only play about 2 of them. I found some serious gems though, like Ghost Hunter, the original Devil May Cry, and Killer 7, but i haven't even tried most of them, so i can't just give them up without at least playing through half.

Like Deni, i'll have to wait until university is finally over and done with before i can become a serious gamer again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 03:48 PM Local time: May 19, 2010, 09:48 PM #7 of 19
Which brings us to this question. Why are they still ON the shelf exactly?
Because every time I nearly get around to playing them, I buy something shiny and new instead. Also, the PS2 is connected to the tv we use for watching tv, whereas the 360 has it's own so I can play that while Noos watches telly, I can only really play PS2 when she's out (I can't be arsed to swap the wires round).

FELIPE NO
Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2010, 10:09 PM #8 of 19
I think about half my collection I've played for only a handful of minutes. I tend to lose interest pretty quickly. The game I've had the longest and never given a proper chance is Rogue Galaxy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2010, 12:53 PM #9 of 19
For PSX, I had a semi-mission of getting every RPG available in English. I came pretty darn close too but my cheapness made it hard to get some games. In addition, I was taking classes meaning I didn't play much of most of the games I got.

I had planned to get to them after I graduated but I went overseas instead and couldn't bring my game collection with me.

Luckily, going overseas meant I couldn't go through the same thing with the PS2. However, I really got into my NDS overseas because it is portable so I now have a nice collection for that system.

For PSX, games included both Lunars, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VIII and IX, Star Ocean 2, one of the Personas, amongst many more.

Part of me is getting to the point that I am going to take all the cases of the games I have, place it in a prominent place in my house, and put up the sign "BACKLOG" to deter myself from buying any more games for a while.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2010, 01:13 PM Local time: May 23, 2010, 12:13 PM #10 of 19
For PSX, I had a semi-mission of getting every RPG available in English. I came pretty darn close too but my cheapness made it hard to get some games. In addition, I was taking classes meaning I didn't play much of most of the games I got.

I had planned to get to them after I graduated but I went overseas instead and couldn't bring my game collection with me.

Luckily, going overseas meant I couldn't go through the same thing with the PS2. However, I really got into my NDS overseas because it is portable so I now have a nice collection for that system.

For PSX, games included both Lunars, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy VIII and IX, Star Ocean 2, one of the Personas, amongst many more.

Part of me is getting to the point that I am going to take all the cases of the games I have, place it in a prominent place in my house, and put up the sign "BACKLOG" to deter myself from buying any more games for a while.
I know I have a damn near complete PSX rpg collection, and I'm pretty sure Skills does as well. PS2 as well.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 12:06 AM Local time: May 25, 2010, 01:06 PM #11 of 19
I have a shoebox full of unfinished/unplayed PSX rpgs (hello Vagrant Story), another box of unfinished PS2 rpgs (hello Xeno series), and now I have a 360 (actually I share it with my roommates), the rpgs are kind of piling up too (hello Mass Effect 2).

I guess I really need to schedule a time of the week where I can just sit down and play games. But that's near to impossible these days. MOTHER NATURE, CAN WE HAVE 48 HOUR DAYS INSTEAD?

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 12:49 AM 1 #12 of 19
I admit, I have never played about 50% of the classic NES games that I own. I'm sorta okay with this. I'm more of a collector; the joy is in displaying them, not always playing them. I do dust them all off and play a handful from time to time but I tend to default toward games I know and love, like Metal Gear, Ducktales, Solstice, Mega Man, Goonies II, etc. It's not always easy to play something unknown when you're positive that Metroid is going to cure that NES jones and then some.

I have plenty of games that my gut says I'd enjoy if I just give them a chance, like Metal Storm, Clash at Demonhead, Palisades, Kickle Cubicle, Time Lord, Magic of Scheherazade, etc. It's always been my goal to build or purchase a proper display case for all my games. I think, once that's accomplished, I'll feel fully free to sit down and try them all.

The game I've had the longest and never given a proper chance is Rogue Galaxy.
Good lord, man. Get on that shit, now. I loved Rogue Galaxy. It's made by Level 5! That should be all the reason you need!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 05:56 AM Local time: May 25, 2010, 06:56 PM #13 of 19
Rogue Galaxy was such a grind. Although the story picks up midway and it basically lets you pumped up to get to the end, which isn't that great really. But it was a fun game, could have improved on some areas.

Also, I wasn't able to finish Chrono Trigger until they released it for the DS. Same with FFIII. So I guess porting old games to new consoles gives gamers a chance (or reason) to finish their backlog games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 03:12 PM Local time: May 25, 2010, 09:12 PM #14 of 19
I know I have a damn near complete PSX rpg collection, and I'm pretty sure Skills does as well. PS2 as well.
I'm pretty sure my PSX rpg collection is complete but then only about 20 were ever released on PAL so it wasn't such a task.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 03:44 PM #15 of 19
HOLY GOD PLAY IT.

I think the only game I've currently got that I didn't really give the ol' college try to is Vagrant Story. Fucking bosses that you need to have weapon levels for that you haven't been able to power up yet.

Most amazing jew boots
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:51 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2010, 11:21 PM #16 of 19
My backloggery is so huge like you wouldn't believe. There are so many great titles that have been released, I have no interest in playing. I'm more interested in playing older games than any of the current games.

I keep buying games that I'm interested in playing, knowing that someday whether it would be 5 or ten years down the road, I'll finally play them.

The way I look at my ever increasing video game collection, is that despite how many games I have, my video game collection is my retirement. I plan on halting my video game collection to almost a standstill after this generation of titles, and strictly buy games on a game by game basis and stay loyal to certain series.

I've mentioned this countless times, but I'm very close to finishing my sega saturn collection. For the next year or two I'm strictly going to play sega saturn games while current titles pass me by. I'm always a couple of consoles behind, when it comes to finishing my games. You know what, I kind of like that because I feel comfortable playing games that have long been forgotten while other people are anxious to play the next great title. I get strange looks from my friends, when they ask me have you played this new game yet, and I tell them I'm too busy playing something on my snes.

I don't mind having such a large video game collection, because I know I'll get to every game I have one way or another. Gaming to me is a very passionate hobby of mine, and that's why my collection will always stay with me, so that regardless of how old I am I'll always have something new to play.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cat Slobber
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Member 35947

Level 2.00

Jun 2010

Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:32 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2010, 09:32 PM 2 #17 of 19
This thread reminds me why I've always pirated my games, with the exception of those on Steam. PC games (or in my case, Mac) are the only ones I can't get away with when playing multiplayer.

Even in my comparatively small collection, there are still many games that I haven't even played. My games are either: a) emulated on my computer or b) pirated onto my Wii or DS. From all of the games that I "thought" looked good, they would have put me deep into the red had I spent the cash.

I'm sure it's not just me, but gaming has had less and less of a significant role my life. I feel old and I'm 26. :S

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:45 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2010, 09:45 AM #18 of 19
I was just thinking about this the past few days. I have stacks and stacks of games that I have never played or only played five minutes. Yet I keep going back to the games I have played.

I don't know what I'm waiting for, but it's no different than books, too. I have a list of books that I keep meaning to read one of these days, though I know I'll never read those, either.

Maybe it's because we define ourselves through ownership and not experience.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:02 AM #19 of 19
I have thought about this from time to time Hach.

What I think is happening is we buy a game because we heard it's a "great" game, or we look at the back and it looks decent, or it happens to be within our price range. We think "This will be an awesome game to play later". In addition, we get the game because we may feel if we don't get it now, we won't be able to get it later on.
However, investing in a game is as you said, investing in a book. It's an investment of a potentially unknown period of time. Time that could be used to play games we DO enjoy. Time that can be used on games we HAVE enjoyed in the past and therefore want to play again.

One of the things I have done as of late is when I got out and see games, I think to myself "Will I really play game X since I have games A through W lined up?". Once I realize the answer is "Probably not.", I avoid getting said game. Now, that doesn't always work. Yesterday I found Persona for PSP at roughly 8 bucks. I know if I push myself that I'll play it and also the price was excellent. However, this mentality does help tanker off some of the games I would buy more because of a whim or solely because of the price. It also helps me not get games because I may not be able to get them later since what point would there be to get a game if I never play it?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Decaying virgin games