Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 11:03 AM #1 of 108
Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star

LunarNET

Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star, for the PSP
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

According to Famitsu, GungHo Works is producing a new Lunar game for the PSP! Called "Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star", the game is another handheld remake of Lunar: Silver Star Story. However, it appears to be a fuller remake of the game. In all, this is what we know thus far:

L:HSS will take advantage of the PSP's graphic capabilities in battle and town screens, and uses an isometric view for towns (similar to Lunar: Dragon Song)
L:HSS uses the point-and-click interface in the overworld map (similar to Lunar: Legend)
L:HSS will include voice acting, although it's unclear if the same voice samples will be used from SSS, or if they'll re-record. They are listing the same voice actors for the main characters, however (Shou Ishida for Alex, Kyoko Hikami for Luna, Daisuke Sakaguchi for Nash, Yasuhiro Takato for Ramus)
L:HSS is due to be released in Japan in Fall 2009. No word on an American release yet.

LunarNET will continue to bring you more news as it breaks. Check back with us throughout the week. And, many thanks goes to Nobuyuki of Zel Studios (The Official Site of Studio ZEL Artworks) for breaking this story!

Sure its another remake of Lunar: The Silver Star... but I'm stoked.

I hope Atlus (or hell even Vic/Gaijinworks) gets ahold of this title instead of Ubisoft who raped the GBA port.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 11:22 AM Local time: May 13, 2009, 09:22 AM 1 #2 of 108
Yeah, we were talking about it in the gaming news thread. I find this pseudo-press release thing from LunarNet funny, though.

Quote:
L:HSS will take advantage of the PSP's graphic capabilities in battle and town screens and uses an isometric view for towns (similar to Lunar: Dragon Song)
Yes, it takes advantage of the PSP's incredible ability to display 2D sprites and backgrounds! And do they really want to make that comparison to Dragon Song? It seems like you should be saying "A first for the real Lunar series!"

Very meh as details continue to be released. Seems like a half-assed remake with the bulk of the change coming in added voicework. Good job, Japan, what a classic RPG already remade three times over really needed was more voices.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 11:43 AM Local time: May 13, 2009, 11:43 AM #3 of 108
I'm not too optimistic. Working Designs made the two games absolute gold given the dialogue choice :V Even if they re-use the same voice actors, the humor would probably be missing entirely.

Picture from magazine. Looks alright. I'd prefer a direct overhead view in-town as opposed to isometric. Looks... Odd :x

Even if they fuck with it much, I guarantee you that given the fan-base, a re-dub (to WD) and a text swap (with the PS1 version) probably wouldn't be ruled out.

GB --
As a fan of the original and its remake, I'd prefer Lunar sticks to 2D entirely.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; May 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 07:57 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 01:57 AM #4 of 108
I'm not too optimistic. Working Designs made the two games absolute gold given the dialogue choice :V Even if they re-use the same voice actors, the humor would probably be missing entirely.
I have to wonder why you assume that any other company than Working Designs would fail at localising the game well. So it might be different. We all know that WD were pretty creative at rewriting the script of the games they work on, but... just because it's different it would have to be bad?

Personally I never finished the game. It looked interesting to me, and I was enjoying it up to a point, but I got distracted. As a result I'm interested in this new version, but I have no emotional ties to the old version. I felt the same about the Dragon Quest games which were remade for the DS. I know a few people who are horrified because things like spell names have been changed... but for me, approaching the game relatively fresh, having never completed a DQ game before, I'm enjoying the DS versions.

Additional Spam:
Even if they fuck with it much, I guarantee you that given the fan-base, a re-dub (to WD) and a text swap (with the PS1 version) probably wouldn't be ruled out.
In that case, why even play the remake at all? I mean, it's easy enough to get PS1 games running on a PSP. If you can run a version of the remake which has been hacked up with all these alterations, you can just as easily run the original game. It doesn't seem likely that the remake would be so exact that a one-to-one text swap and redub would be possible. It seems far more likely at least to me that they'll take the time to add in some new content, like they did when the game jumped platforms before.

If that did happen, you'd have this weird mishmash of old content with old text and voices, and new content with new text and voices. It wouldn't exactly be harmonious. I understand your love for the original version, although... I can't claim to share it. I just can't help but think that it's better to just stick to the original if you want Working Designs' unique touches, and play the new version for whatever take on it that game can offer.

It's not like the requirement for buying the new game is to hand over your old copy of the game to be incinerated or anything.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Soluzar; May 13, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:04 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 07:04 PM #5 of 108
You have to admit, WD's work is at least...unique. It would be unlikely for another company to both attempt and capture a similar style and be successful with it. There's no telling if it would be good or bad at this early point, but in the case of some nostalgia faggots, different already is bad, so.

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:15 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 06:15 PM #6 of 108
It also doesn't help that Lunar has a ho-hum storyline (like every other jrpg, amirite) and characters whose personalities are hardly passable-- that is, if you take away their Working Designs-inspired dialogue. Ireland may have butchered it, but he made it more colorful than it would have been otherwise.

Working Designs and their translations are a prickly issue with Soluzar, as I recall. His post was originally two sentences.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:24 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 02:24 AM #7 of 108
You have to admit, WD's work is at least...unique. It would be unlikely for another company to both attempt and capture a similar style and be successful with it. There's no telling if it would be good or bad at this early point, but in the case of some nostalgia faggots, different already is bad, so.
Oh yeah I admit that completely. If someone tried for the same style, it would be a terrible failure. I'd far rather see someone else do it in their own style, if possible by a team who had never seen the original WD localization.

I just refuse to countenance the idea that different is bad in this instance.

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:30 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 07:30 PM #8 of 108
I think there's potential there, yeah, but like GB said, the original source material would need some serious sprucing up to be as engaging as it was thanks to WD. Alex is not at all an interesting hero no matter what way you slice it, so here's hoping they do something interesting with it.

And I didn't mean to imply you thought that way, just that some people strongly attached to the WD original translation might. (As much as I love 'em, I want to see what can be done via another take here.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:30 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 08:30 PM #9 of 108
Working Designs and their translations are a prickly issue with Soluzar, as I recall. His post was originally two sentences.
Heh. I noticed :V
I have to wonder why you assume that any other company than Working Designs would fail at localising the game well. So it might be different. We all know that WD were pretty creative at rewriting the script of the games they work on, but... just because it's different it would have to be bad?

Personally I never finished the game. It looked interesting to me, and I was enjoying it up to a point, but I got distracted. As a result I'm interested in this new version, but I have no emotional ties to the old version. I felt the same about the Dragon Quest games which were remade for the DS. I know a few people who are horrified because things like spell names have been changed... but for me, approaching the game relatively fresh, having never completed a DQ game before, I'm enjoying the DS versions.

Additional Spam:

In that case, why even play the remake at all? I mean, it's easy enough to get PS1 games running on a PSP. If you can run a version of the remake which has been hacked up with all these alterations, you can just as easily run the original game. It doesn't seem likely that the remake would be so exact that a one-to-one text swap and redub would be possible. It seems far more likely at least to me that they'll take the time to add in some new content, like they did when the game jumped platforms before.

If that did happen, you'd have this weird mishmash of old content with old text and voices, and new content with new text and voices. It wouldn't exactly be harmonious. I understand your love for the original version, although... I can't claim to share it. I just can't help but think that it's better to just stick to the original if you want Working Designs' unique touches, and play the new version for whatever take on it that game can offer.

It's not like the requirement for buying the new game is to hand over your old copy of the game to be incinerated or anything.
As GB put it, the original game was rather "meh" before WD fiddled with the dialogue. This hits a sour note with some folks, but I absolutely loved the banter and occasional low-brow gag.

I'll look in to it in hopes that they make Ghaleon as he was in the Sega CD version:
Spoiler:
Originally, Ghaleon turned evil because he didn't approve of what happened to Dragonmaster Dyne, a very, very close friend of his. He got twisted and saw it basically as the Goddess going "meh" and allowing him to die. He never knew that Dyne was still alive and well as Laike.

In the PSX version, Ghaleon was jealous of Dyne. I felt this was, well, not as interesting. Particularly because in #2, Ghaleon isn't a thorough bad guy. Then there's the whole thing that in the original, the dragons were all killed rather than captured.

Anyhow, Soluzar (spoiler-free paraphrasing here), the PSX and Sega CD games are top-notch to me, but the PSX took a liberty or two that I did not prefer and deviated a tad from the original.

Since this looks to base itself off the PSX version from what I saw (same cutscenes and pictures of sorts), it'll probably follow it just the same.

I'll look in to it also because, well, there might be more added content. A few more dungeons or mini-games of sorts.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:32 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 02:32 AM #10 of 108
It also doesn't help that Lunar has a ho-hum storyline (like every other jrpg, amirite) and characters whose personalities are hardly passable-- that is, if you take away their Working Designs-inspired dialogue. Ireland may have butchered it, but he made it more colorful than it would have been otherwise.
I don't know that for sure, but I'm willing to admit the possiblity. Without being intimately familiar with the original version, it's hard to say. It is always possible people have been giving Working Designs more credit than they are due. I won't say Victor Ireland, if only because I don't know exactly how much personal input he had on every project in his company. Could be a lot, could be a little, I just don't know.

Quote:
If you must know, Working Designs fanboys are the prickly issue. You were the one who used the term 'butchered', whereas I did not and would not. I don't agree with their style in some ways, but on the other hand it's a perfectly serviceable script and somewhat better than many you might find from the same era.

I just don't comprehend the adulation this company gets. I really don't see it. Sure they brought over some great games, our collective videogaming memories wouldn't be the same without 'em, but what really bugs me is the concept that nobody else could deliver a reasonable localisation for Lunar other than Working Designs. Gech pretty much wrote it off already, and so did you.

Additional Spam:
As GB put it, the original game was rather "meh" before WD fiddled with the dialogue.
How do you know this? Why do I get the suspicion that the main reason is because Vic Ireland told you so? If there's a reason to believe this other than WD propaganda, then sure... I'll accept it, but even so... you don't think that (for example...) NIS America could punch up the dialogue a little? Atlus? Third rate hacks by comparison to WD the both of them, I'm sure.

You should understand, my basic position here in this thread is that the new version could be awesome. That's not because I loathe and detest Vic Ireland and his band of men, it's because I think the new version could be awesome. I don't hate (or even dislike) the Working Designs version that much, I just don't think it's the 8th wonder of the world. Maybe I would if I finished the game, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Anyhow, Soluzar (spoiler-free paraphrasing here), the PSX and Sega CD games are top-notch to me, but the PSX took a liberty or two that I did not prefer and deviated a tad from the original.

Since this looks to base itself off the PSX version from what I saw (same cutscenes and pictures of sorts), it'll probably follow it just the same.
It's interesting to hear that. I read your spoilers because hey... I wanted to know more than I want the unplayed remnant Lunar to remain unspoiled for me. I can see why you'd prefer the SCD version of events

Quote:
I'll look in to it also because, well, there might be more added content. A few more dungeons or mini-games of sorts.
I assume so. It seems to always happen.

Last edited by Soluzar; May 13, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 08:58 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 06:58 PM #11 of 108
For the record, I have no real opinion on Working Designs' localizations, nor do I hold any loyalty to their games. I just know Lunar was boring-ass shit like every other contemporary.

I don't know that for sure, but I'm willing to admit the possiblity. Without being intimately familiar with the original version, it's hard to say. It is always possible people have been giving Working Designs more credit than they are due. I won't say Victor Ireland, if only because I don't know exactly how much personal input he had on every project in his company. Could be a lot, could be a little, I just don't know.

If you must know, Working Designs fanboys are the prickly issue. You were the one who used the term 'butchered', whereas I did not and would not. I don't agree with their style in some ways, but on the other hand it's a perfectly serviceable script and somewhat better than many you might find from the same era.

I just don't comprehend the adulation this company gets. I really don't see it. Sure they brought over some great games, our collective videogaming memories wouldn't be the same without 'em, but what really bugs me is the concept that nobody else could deliver a reasonable localisation for Lunar other than Working Designs. Gech pretty much wrote it off already, and so did you.
Wait, what? I understand the position of people who don't like Working Designs' liberal approach to localization, but how do you get this passionate about this garbage without even knowing Victor Ireland's role in it? Isn't it worth researching?

The only difference between you and Gech right now is that you've gone and swung in the opposite direction of his statement. You've written me off despite the fact that I said none of those things, and in reality all I said is that the game needs to be spruced up to be entertaining and unique. If Alexander O. Smith wants to take a stab at it, fuck yeah, hand the man the goddamn script. I'd go for some olde english in my Lunar, just for kicks.

Most amazing jew boots
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 09:19 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 03:19 AM #12 of 108
For the record, I have no real opinion on Working Designs' localization, nor do I hold any loyalty to their games. I just know Lunar was boring-ass shit like every other contemporary.
I apologise for any offence caused by my presumption. However, in light of your recent edit... why exactly do you like playing PS1 RPGs? =P

If you want to turn the question back on me, I'll tell you right now that my main interest is in the variations on the battle systems. A good story can compensate for a boring battle system, and vice-versa. That's why I like a lot of RPGs many people really don't like. Although... God alone knows why I enjoyed Eternal Sonata.

Quote:
Wait, what? I understand the position of people who don't like Working Designs' liberal approach to localization, but how do you get this passionate about this garbage without even knowing Victor Ireland's role in it? Isn't it worth researching?
I don't care that much about localisation companies. They turn games into English, that's very nice of them. I tend to buy the product of that labour, and my interest in them ends there. It's not just Working Designs, I couldn't tell you anything about Atlus, NIS America or any other such company. If you hadn't mentioned Vic Ireland by name I wouldn't have known that name. I'm sure I've heard it a time or two, but... eh, hardly important.

I don't even have such strong feelings about Working Designs, I just refuse to believe they were as wonderful as many people seem to think. That seems to give entirely the wrong impression. I'm writing lots in response to this thread primarily because I have the (perhaps mistaken) impression that some people are writing off the new localization even before it is written. Well... that doesn't sit well with me.

Quote:
The only difference between you and Gech right now is that you've gone and swung in the opposite direction of his statement. You've written me off despite the fact that I said none of those things, and in reality all I said is that the game needs to be spruced up to be entertaining and unique.
In that case, I must apologise. It was never my intention to misrepresent you. It would appear that I have simply assumed that you would play into my preconceived role of the Working Designs fan, and reacted accordingly.

For that I do apologise, again.

I am however sincerely curious as to the statement that the game would require to be 'spruced up' in order to be entertaining. I'm willing to accept the statement on face value, in order to further a discussion. I just want to know exactly how you're aware of this? I'm personally not familiar with any version of the game other than the Working Designs version, and only the first.... I dunno, say 40% of it at that.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm asking you how you know what was the content of the script prior to the involvement of Working Designs.

Quote:
If Alexander O. Smith wants to take a stab at it, fuck yeah, hand the man the goddamn script. I'd go for some olde english in my Lunar, just for kicks.
I admit that I had to look up the name, since as previously stated I take absolutely zero interest in the personalities involved in localisation. The only thing I find important is the final product. With that said, I've enjoyed his work, and I certainly agree that he's one example of a localisation producer (if that is the term) who could probably bring a whole new and interesting take on the game.

I don't mean to seem so... what was it...? Batshit Insane. :P

I'm just frustrated by the prejudice of nostalgia.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 09:30 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 07:30 PM #13 of 108
Batshit loco, actually! I removed it (and only that) since I was choosing to antagonize you while simultaneously telling you it'd be better to chill out. I apologize.

I'm a big importer-- or rather, I was one back in the day. My Japanese was good enough to have a preeetty decent understanding of everything going on in the game, and it was... straightforward. It wasn't bad, but the characters and plot fell into the typical. The stalwart, lovesick hero (who couldn't even be saved by copious amounts of dialogue tweaking); the frilly girly-girl in need of saving; the cocky douchebag villain; etcetera. A story about dragons and powerful magic, blah blah. That stuff never changed, but the game is remembered fondly for its quotability and unusual sense of humor-- something not in the original (believe me, I'd remember the thespian/lesbian joke if I saw it).

I also happen to have a strong distaste for Working Designs worship, but I also think they made some interesting contributions to the localization process.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 09:40 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 03:40 AM #14 of 108
Batshit loco, actually! I removed it (and only that) since I was choosing to antagonize you while simultaneously telling you it'd be better to chill out. I apologize.
Eh. I don't mind. If there's any subject about which I've got a sense of humour it's myself.

Quote:
I'm a big importer-- or rather, I was one back in the day. My Japanese was good enough to have a preeetty decent understanding of everything going on in the game, and it was... straightforward.
That's all I wanted to know. You've got first-hand knowledge, which is at least something I'm willing to believe. If it was just 'what they say' or from some interview with Vic Ireland, I'd be a bit more skeptical.

Quote:
I also happen to have a strong distaste for Working Designs worship, but I also think they made some interesting contributions to the localization process.
Without question. It's also a fact that a lot of the games they brought over would never have been touched otherwise. I still don't know why they neglected to give use the first Growlanser game, though...

When I refer to NIS America as "the new Working Designs" it is by way of acknowledging all the qualities, both good and bad that the two share.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 09:40 PM #15 of 108
More news from LunarNET:

A few more tidbits of information to throw up about Lunar: Harmony of Silver Star... There will apparently be new events to the story. Looking at the scan that's been floating around, we can already assume Nash doesn't show up in Burg quite as early as he did in Lunar Legend. One of the screenshots shows Alex, Luna and Ramus in the White Dragon cave, but no Nash. It should be interesting to see which of the Lunar 1 storylines they follow the closest.

It should also be mentioned that the developer is GameArts. This would actually make it the first remake GameArts themselves have done (as the Saturn/Playstation remake and Lunar Legend on the GBA were both done by outside developers for the most part). And with the official Japanese site going live Friday, we're going to try and have a new section on the site for the game by Saturday. This is certainly some unexpected, but very good news about GameArts. It seems they haven't forgotten their old franchises. With Grandia Online to be revealed next week, and now a new remake of Lunar 1, things are looking good for us GameArts fans.

And in regards to a possible North America release? There's a few thoughts floating around the 'net. First, a post on NeoGAF forums by Victor Ireland
making his interest in the title known.
Also of note, an
interview with XSEED at
RPGamer earlier this month hints at the possibility of a LUNAR localization. The final question of the interview posed this question:

I know that E3 is just around the corner, but could you give us some idea of what might be around the corner for XSEED or the XSEED/Marvelous alliance? Any other secrets you can share with your buddies at RPGamer?

Ken: We have tons of titles that we'll be announcing between now and E3 for various platforms. Though I can't quite spell out any titles yet, I will say that we listen to the requests we get from the gaming community and we've tried very hard to secure some of the games that have been requested. We also have an enhanced remake of a classic PSone RPG in North America that we'll be announcing soon which I think the RPGamer audience will be very interested in...

Lunar would certainly fit the bill of a classic PSone RPG. Obviously we'll continue to update with even the slightest bits of news about this re-re-remake.

I'm wondering if we will indeed see Working Designs Gaijinworks label on the game?

More info supposed to be released Friday and even more at E3 in a couple weeks.

FELIPE NO

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 09:43 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 03:43 AM #16 of 108
That stuff never changed, but the game is remembered fondly for its quotability and unusual sense of humor-- something not in the original (believe me, I'd remember the thespian/lesbian joke if I saw it).
This isn't strictly speaking intended as a criticism of Working Designs, but... I think I must be the only person who doesn't find their work funny. I see jokes, I'm not blind... it's just they don't tickle my funnybone. That probably is the main reason why I don't see them as something special.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 10:27 PM Local time: May 13, 2009, 10:27 PM #17 of 108
lol XSEED Expect ear-bleedingly bad voice acting.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2009, 05:09 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 03:09 PM #18 of 108
In before the story of "finding Nall in some cave" would be boring at best.

Lmao at XSEED though. I wonder how bad (or relatively annoying) this would turn out.

Also the endearing thing about Lunar: SSSC is the voice acting. Nothing very serious (for a lot of the parts). Hell, I approve of what they do and it provided a bit of "what the fuck" moments instead of a tired, totally serious story with way too serious voice acting.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2009, 05:18 PM #19 of 108
In before hilariously bad redub of the boat song.

Most amazing jew boots
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2009, 05:54 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 05:54 PM #20 of 108
BAD BOAT SONG.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind playing this. Waiting for US release date..

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2009, 11:20 PM #21 of 108
LUNAR HARMONY of SILVER STAR

Official Site went live. Nothing fancy on it yet, though.

I was speaking idiomatically.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:25 AM #22 of 108
lewl XSEED got the rights to bring it over.

XSEED Games

Ah well, was hoping for GW but its scheduled for fall release.

RPGamer had an interview with XSEED/Game Arts about Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star:

Originally Posted by RPGamer
First off, Lunar has had many developers over the years, who exactly is handling this? GameArts? Japan Arts Media? A combination?

Masato Dobashi: This title is a collaborative development effort between Game Arts and Japan Arts Media.

Will combat allow for characters to move around like the original or are they stationary like in Lunar Legend? Could you share any other details about the game's battle system?

Masato Dobashi: Lunar: Silver Star Harmony is basically a remake of the Sega Saturn version. The battle system is also based on the Sega Saturn version, but the graphics have been updated significantly.

During battle, you can manually instruct your character to run up to the enemy to attack, or you can let the AI take over.

Lunar's always been big on music and sound. How much voice acting will there be? Should we expect more songs such as Luna's Boat Song? Any drastic soundtrack changes or is Noriyuki Iwadare still at the helm?

Masato Dobashi: Since this time the title is on a UMD with large capacity, we will have the same movies that were played on the Sega Saturn version. This means you will be able to enjoy Luna's Boat scene as well.

Regarding the soundtrack, of course we will have Iwadare-san continue to work on Lunar. Iwadare-san has made some extra arrangements for this game and created some great music.

This one could be a deal breaker for me. Will there be bromides?

Masato Dobashi: That's still a secret. Please stay tuned.

So, does this perhaps mark a Lunar series revival or just another chance for newer gamers to play this classic?

Masato Dobashi: It's a bit of both. That way everyone can enjoy it, right? I'm personally looking forward to how the Lunar series is going to develop in the future.

The last remake of Lunar on the GBA wasn't as well received by fans as the Sega CD and PlayStation versions. What aspects of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony will appeal to new fans? Long-time fans?

Masato Dobashi: I really think the opinions of Lunar fans towards the series is very important. For this PSP remake, I really wanted to use the Sega Saturn version as the basis to create a solid title because it was also what everyone was hoping for [in Japan].

For the new fans, I would love for them to experience an adventure full of dreams and hopes. Don't you feel like we're lacking those types of RPGs lately? I really wanted to show why Lunar has been loved for 17 years with this new PSP version.

For the old time fans, I would first like to say thank you to everyone. The reason Lunar can be played on the PSP now is because of their long time support and love for this series. For this version, Kei Shigema has put extra effort into the scenario and created a new episode to make it a more complete version of Lunar.

How does XSEED plan on handling the game's quirky humor and sexual innuendos? That was one area that really stood out for me in the prior releases.

Jimmy Soga, XSEED Games: We're still in the early stages of translation so it's hard to say how we will handle it, but it would be a fine balancing act between keeping the original Working Designs English translations as is or to retranslate some of the stuff to be more true to the original Japanese. Working Designs did an excellent localization job, but their text has a lot of 90's pop culture references and possibly some copyright issues that might have been okay when the original was released, but something we need to be more careful about today (such as "Tootsie Rolls", "M&M's", "Wheaties," etc.)

Working Designs was looked on as the North American parent of the Lunar series and always had tons of bonuses (and tons of delays) included with the games. Any early ideas of how you'd like to handle pack-ins?

Masato Dobashi: We are currently discussing with XSEED on this matter so we can't give out any information at this time, but please stay tuned for more details at a later time.

Thank you very much for this opportunity!

We hope everyone is looking forward to the PSP Lunar and will continue to support the series.
Interesting to say I'm curious now how much of WD's translation gets kept in and how much gets re-written. Maybe Meryod will be a hick town yet again! Also heard a rumor (trying to find out if true) that XSEED's going to keep the Japanese audio in for the game. So I guess if the american voice acting is shitty, we can fall back to the original audio. (In before Ghaleon sounding like a raging homo than effeminate.)

How ya doing, buddy?

khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:25 PM #23 of 108
I think without the brilliant dialogue that WD was responsible for, this game will be severely lacking. The game worked before because of the humorous jokes throughout the game, you take that out and focus more on the plot and it will be terrible. Probably will be weird getting used to new VA too.

FELIPE NO
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:23 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2009, 09:23 PM #24 of 108
I think without the brilliant dialogue that WD was responsible for, this game will be severely lacking. The game worked before because of the humorous jokes throughout the game, you take that out and focus more on the plot and it will be terrible. Probably will be weird getting used to new VA too.
I agree. I played the PS1 version of the game and loved it because of the atmosphere. I don't even remember anything about the plot; I only remember the characters and atmosphere...

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:30 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2009, 12:30 AM #25 of 108
Yeah, Lunar is way past it's prime. All you get are either remakes or crappy spinoffs.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star