Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:27 AM #1 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
I'm a fan of Mastodon. I really love their cover art and their music is fucking awesome. I've been thinking about that tour, as well as the Sounds of the Underground (mostly for Behemoth and Gwar) and the tour with Hypocrisy/Fear Facorty/Suffocation/Decapitated looks pretty sweet. Hmm...which one to go to...
I can safely say that you should check out the latter tour with Hypocrisy. Behemoth is... pretty lack-luster though Gwar, well, they put on one of the best shows known to metal fans. But between Hypocrisy, FF, and Decapitated, you're most likely going to enjoy yourself a ton more. Not only do they all put on an amazing show, but the fans are incredible. Something Mastodon and Behemoth lack, in my opinion.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:07 PM #2 of 1376
Quote:
I enjoy Slayer. Definitely enjoy their older material, though they have some OK songs on their newer stuff.

I got the new All That Remains CD and their first one. I really enjoy their first CD, not too much metalcore there however the new one is very solid. Nothing mindblowing and if you enjoy good metalcore, you would enjoy it. Otherwise it won't change your mind.

Slayer sucks.

Though, surprisingly I don't mind All That Remains. I bought their first album on a whim when it first came out and actually kinda liked it. They can actually write a pretty good song, with is pleasing to know, since so many metalcore bands fail at something so basic. Besides them and Darkest Hour, metalcore is very bleak and I'm "glad" to see it's being replaced.

Actually, scratch that. Technical metalcore is quite possibly the worst genre to ever exist.

Quote:
I am not sure if you guys discussed this or not, but to you prefer your metal music with clean or aggressive screaming vocals?
Most of my music consists of harsh vocals. Mainly because I'm very picky when it comes to clean vocals. But, I'm quite happy with either. I guess it all depends on the music and what's more fitting. Mood also plays a big part.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Vampiro; Jul 13, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:52 AM #3 of 1376
Pretty certain I saw a couple album (possibly the newer one...) on isohunt. Might want to check there.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:52 AM #4 of 1376
Quote:
I've lately been hooked on a Twilightning song ("Plague-House Puppet Show"), and I'm finding it fucking hard to find any of their stuff anywhere. It's cheesy as hell, and really damn rockable.
I got it all, so I can send you some if you can't find it.

As for Venom, I liked them when I was... fourteen? They're garbage, fun, but garbage. I can't listen to a full album without turning it off after the first few songs, but they're good if I'm playing my music on shuffle. I mean, I appreciate what they did for genres like black metal, but I'm not going to 'gasm over them just because of that. Plus, they should have stopped making music a long time ago. I was surprised to hear that "Metal Black" was actually worse than some of their older stuff. But oh well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:56 AM #5 of 1376
Gigantour sucks this year. Opeth is the only good band on the bill, with Sanctity and Into Eternity being somewhat decent. Arch Enemy is fine, but I've seen them before and their shows are lame. I guess it's just a really disappointing tour, especially when I had high hopes for it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:11 AM #6 of 1376
I've gotta say, I've never liked Immortal's vocals. It was one of the low points of their music for me. Maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to better black metal vocalists, since I used to like them, but I've lost my love for Immortal.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:04 AM #7 of 1376
Quote:
Good pick on the Immortal.
And by that you mean "good job picking out the only decent release."

Anywho, I've been in the mood for some epic funeral doom lately, and thankfully a friend was able to supply me with Wormphlegm's "In An Excruciating Way..." Oh my Lord this is easily the best release I've heard in so long. 32 minutes of literal torture, with a really unique use of "master" and "servant" roles for the vocals. The former is the guttural, low death vocals; the latter is high-pitched, shrieked vocals. The instruments are typical funeral drone guitars and drums, but the use of "tortured moans" and wails are what really make it interesting. You'd almost believe they were real if you didn't know better. Now I just need to get their full-length...

FELIPE NO
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:30 AM #8 of 1376
But very good. As expected. I wonder if they'll play either of the songs when I see them in January? It would be quite epic if they did.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:53 AM #9 of 1376
It's two songs, each around 30 minutes in length.

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:17 AM #10 of 1376
Yeah, it releases early next month, so that's probably how it's staying. Guess we'll see come the tenth.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:33 AM #11 of 1376
The Wintersun album that should be out by now

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:26 AM #12 of 1376
Ah perfect. I've always liked live shows that involved the use of incredibly long songs. If only more drone bands would come to Toronto...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 AM #13 of 1376
... no. But drone bands are usually known to have songs over twenty minutes in length and only a few come to Canada every year. Which is why I would like more.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:05 AM #14 of 1376
Not sure exactly where you live, but you'd be surprised where various metal bands show up. Only recently I found a decent venue that showcases black metal bands and the like.

Oh and yeah, I do have that song. Not sure if you want it over AIM or whatever or just uploaded. But I can give it to you.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:40 PM #15 of 1376
Quote:
Where are you, Vampiro? Montréal or Québec City?

I'm a bit lukewarm about the new Moonsorrow (and I'm a bit of a fangirl). Long songs are good, but 30 minute songs...? It has some drawn-out moments, I'm afraid. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I sincerely hope they'll play excerpts of the new album rather than a full song, because a full song takes up way too much material from their previous albums.
St. Catharines, Ontario. Right across Lake Ontario from Toronto.

Anywho, I actually hope they play the full thirty minute song. I'm quite used to exceptionally long songs, even the ones ranging between an hour to three hours. Plus, there's just something about, in the case of let's say Sunn, a twenty to thirty minute live song that really adds to the show. People aren't as uppity and energetic, usually just experiencing the show and really listening. It's a completely different experience somehow, and it's an excellent one.

FELIPE NO
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:16 PM #16 of 1376
True enough. Then again I couldn't really care less what the rest of the crowd wants. It's just something I would like to see. Whether they do it or not, I don't know. It would just be something I would like to experience. Plus, it would be a good way to close out the night. That, or play it right before "Tulkaapa Äijät!" for the closer. It would be quite the great send off.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 05:56 PM #17 of 1376
Goddamnit. I was supposed to go to a local show called "Black Xmas" that included Woods of Ypres (along with Moonlyght, Wolven Ancestry, Dreamscapes of the Perverse, The Green Evening Requiem, Empyrean Plague and Deathmarch) and they canceled it. So fucking lame. Ah well, they're playing with Moonsorrow on the fifteenth at the same location... which now that I think about it might explain why it was canceled...

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:47 PM #18 of 1376
Quote:
I've never seen the show. What do they sound like?
Generic guttural vocals backed by speed/death instruments.

Just, idk, listen to any death metal band. Kalmah is about as close as it gets. Though you'll probably find something to like about Nile, Immolation, and possibly the Chasm. The latter of which is the best death metal band, in my opinion. Though Nile and Immolation can sometimes boarder on brutal death...

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)