Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:11 AM #1 of 1376
Nightwish people here?

A few songs off their new album have leaked. I have them if anyone wants them.
I can wait (considering I just plundered their whole discography a few days ago, I can show a bit of restraint ), but I just came across these guys and I really like them. Oceanborn = <3 Edenbridge has been hit or miss for that type of symphonic metal, but almost no bad Nightwish songs so far and I've picked my jaw off the floor a few times already.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:42 PM #2 of 1376
I just came across "Running Wild"...They have a zillion releases out and I've only heard their recent 2-disc comp (which has, like 1-2 tracks from each album), so I'm looking at them a bit more seriously. I love their general style (which is good, since so many of their tracks sound really similar) Any fans/haters/recommendations/something I might like 10 times more? (Helloween's about the only other experience I have with German Power Metal.) My favorite tracks from the comp were "Prowling Werewolf" and "Treasure Island".

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Aug 8, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:45 AM #3 of 1376
For IM, I probably go:

1. Number of the Beast
2. Seventh Son
3. Powerslave
4. Piece of Mind
5. Brave New World
6. Fear of the Dark
7. Dying for the World
8. Matter of Life and Death
9. Dance of Death
10. Somewhere in Time
11-14. Insert Di'Anno/Bayley albums here.

I feel kind of weird putting Powerslave as high as I did, since I love nearly every track on Dying, Brave New World and Piece of Mind and only about half of PS, but nothing on those 3 compare to Aces High/2 Minutes to Midnight, which were my introduction to Maiden and I got a kick out of Flash of the Blade (which Falcom shamelessly ripped off for the track "Protectors", from Ys II). I thought the Blaze albums were just "blah" and I just didn't care for Di'Anno's singing all that much, though I probably should give him another try.

Any Judas Priest fans? I'm still in the process of tracking them all down (pre-British Steel and I think they had a 2005 one), but with what I have I probably go:

1. Painkiller
2. Turbo
3. Defenders of the Faith
4. British Steel
5. Screaming for Vengeance
6. Ram It Down
7. Point of Entry

Though those last three, I pretty much just picked the tracks I really liked (they did a great cover of Johnny B. Goode and of course, Electric Eye) and I just made a single listing. But the first four are all amazing, though I get the feeling I'm one of the few people who'd put Turbo that high...

JP didn't jump out at me the way Maiden did and I don't think they're as consistant, but their best tracks are easily on par, I think.

Edit: niki, great video...What was it?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Oct 4, 2007 at 10:57 AM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2007, 03:44 PM #4 of 1376
7. No Prayer for the Dying

Crap, you knew which one I meant. I looked for "Dying" in iTunes and that must've been on top.

How ya doing, buddy?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:34 AM #5 of 1376
Quote:
Who the wha??
Edit: Did you mean "No Prayer for the Dying"?
Small mix-up in iTunes...I knew it had "Dying" in the name, but I pulled the name of a W.A.S.P. album instead. See above.

Quote:
AMOLAD over Somewhere in Time... Hmm.
Outside of "Deja Vu", Somewhere in Time just didn't click with me oddly enough (considering it's between PS and Seventh Son). Too much of it just felt like they were trying to tell stories at the expense of the actual songs and they did it much better on Seventh Son. AMOLAD is a love-hate album, but "These Colors Don't Run" ended up being one of my favorite Maiden songs and "Different World" (a pretty straight-forward rocker, but a good one) was stronger than anything I heard from SWIT.

Quote:
Turbo over Defenders? I'd repost the pic above but it'd be redundant. :P Seriously, WTF.
Let's just say it's nice hearing carefree glam metal with Downing/Tipton at the helm (though it sounded weird for Halford's vocals...Kind of like how "Living After Midnight" sounds out of place). "Locked In" has a killer solo in it and it's probably my favorite Priest song after "Electric Eye". Without that one...Yeah, I'd have to put Defenders second.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 08:40 PM #6 of 1376
Quiet Riot singer found dead in Las Vegas - Yahoo! News

Sad day...Kevin Dubrow found dead in his home.

I'll be the first to admit the guy was an asshole (at least during the brief time they were popular) and 95% of Quiet Riot's output was/is total shit, but I'll always have fond memories of their version of "Cum On Feel the Noize" at age 4/5 and the music video they did for it. I probably wouldn't even like heavy metal nowadays if I hadn't been constantly exposed to it at such a young age (even now, I remember that song was EVERYWHERE). Still one of my favorite solos of all time.

RIP Kevin.

And on a lighter note...Any Death Angel fans here? Straight-up thrash is hit or miss with me, but I really love "The Art of Dying" from them. One of the best pure rock albums I've heard, period. Their earlier stuff is good too...Maybe not early-Metallica good or Reign in Blood-good, but I think it's pretty close.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Nov 26, 2007 at 08:45 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:58 PM #7 of 1376
Walls of Jericho >>>>>> all other Helloween.
Wow, really? I can't seem to get into that one and I like a good portion of their discography. Their new album is pretty solid. Vouching for the Keeper albums as well, but took some time to get used to Kiske's voice. "I'm Alive" and "Save Us" (along with "We Damn the Night" from Dark Ride) are probably my favorite Helloween songs.

Anyone familiar with Wolf? Really good power/shred group from Sweden that writes pretty good songs. Normally with power metal, once is enough for most songs, but these are ones I have to keep hearing again.

Also loving Edguy...Hellfire Club is one of my favorite albums of all-time.

FELIPE NO
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:16 PM #8 of 1376
That's it, I'm revoking your right to use this avatar. You aren't metal enough. :P
Well, consider my favorite band is probably Poison...

*ducks*

...or at least their first 3 albums.

*ducks again*

The "Talk Dirty to Me" riff is like the only thing I can play on the guitar right now. ;p

Helloween was my introduction to power metal, but I much prefer Gamma Ray, Dragonforce, Edguy, Power Quest and Machinae Supremacy right now. Still taking in Primal Fear one dose at a time (Metal is Forever = <3) and just came across Astral Doors and their Dio soundalike a few days ago.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:16 PM #9 of 1376
I just scored a bunch of classic metal on vinyl and Im enjoying the hell out of it. Got:

Savatage - Sirens
Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park
Helloween - Keeper 1 and 2
Sabbath - Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules
Maiden - Piece of Mind (sexy picture disc, with brains being served at dinner...I have Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave and their first album coming later on)
Anthrax - Among the Living

Vemp: I love Wolf. They are like new school classic metal. Favorite song: Steelwinged Savage Reaper.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:45 PM #10 of 1376
That sounds like a fantastic score there Goldfish!

I'd collect more vinyl but I don't have a record player. However, I am definitely getting vinyl for bads that I love and have kick ass artwork with the intent to hang it up as display. So I'd love to get most of Megadeth's albums, Death, basically any classic death and thrash metal band would be fine.

I've been into Ghost recently. They just came out of nowhere with some fantastic songs that are reminiscent of early Mercyful Fate. Really good music and full of Satanic goodness.
I've been looking into scoring more on the thrash side, but the original prints in good condition are usually expensive (probably because they didn't sell too great to begin with, so there's fewer copies out there...Or in the case of Metallica/Maiden, demand is keeping the prices bumped). I'm keeping an eye out for stuff like Reign in Blood or Ultraviolence or Bonded by Blood/Fabulous Disaster (classic Exodus <3), but I have them on CD, so no great hurry yet. I don't have any Megadeth yet, but it looks like a decent copy of Rust in Peace is gonna run me on the bad side of $50 or so and even an original Peace Sells is rarely under $30. The good thing is, for the added sound quality, it's SOOO worth it (and my rig is mostly second-hand stuff I was experimenting with).

I scored a near mint original Operation Mindcrime for $15 the other day. That's another one with a usually-inflated pricetag.

It's unfortunate that so many metal releases nowadays are victims of the whole loudness war. The new Iron Maiden, Slayer and Death Angel albums are great music, but are actually difficult to listen to for long periods of time. I'm almost willing to rebuy them on vinyl to see if they're any improved.

I usually prefer clean vocals or thrash-style screams at most. I actually love Warbringer, but...yeah, loudness wars.

I realize I have sufficiently made my point about questionable mastering and am just being a whiny baby at this point.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)