Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:17 PM #1 of 1376
A blogger on the Internet ran into Alex Lifeson at his bar, and apperantly Alex States that he's written 6 new songs for Rush's next album. I can't remember where the blog was, or even if it was a blog, but i read it somewhere. If i find it i'll post it.

I guess Rush isn't really metal, but it's pretty close.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:32 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:32 PM #2 of 1376
My list would have to consist of

Dream Theater
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Masterplan (off and on, i haven't really formed a solid opinion on them yet)
Iced Earth
John Petrucci\
Joe Satriani - basically G3
Steve Vai /
Megadeath

those are the ones who stick out most in my mind. I'm starting to like Saxon, and Hammerfall, but i haven't been able to track down any of their albums, so i can't really get into them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:54 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 04:54 PM #3 of 1376
Originally Posted by Living Legend
I odn't mean to change the subject much, but with that. I watched the DVD of the G3 show and allthough it featured many great guitarist. It was just boring after awhile. The guitar is my favorite instrument, I love watching people do what they can with it, but there was nothing to pull me into the music anyone was playing. It was more like "I can do this, isn't it cool?" rather than "I can play this, isn't it amazing?" if you get that.

I haven't seen Petrucci on that DVD, but the rest I have. I hope he did something a little more amazing than the rest.
I was impressed with that DVD. I liked all the songs, especially the three covers they did in the end.

John Petrucci wasn't quite as in your face as the other two sets, but he deffinetly seemed more technical, and i felt that his songs had more thought put into them. I've always liked his song writing, be it with Dream Theater, Liquid Tension, or his solo stuff, and G3 didn't disapoint.

G3 is also the reason i like Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani today.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:29 PM #4 of 1376
Originally Posted by S?ecter
IRT Brent
Ok, Thanks, just curious...

Anyone here a System of a Down fan, if so, where would you classify them, Genre-wise? (It seems to be hard for people to classify them)
when in doubt, call Alternative. Alternative, that wonderful little genre for the stuff that doesn't really fit anywhere.

I would call them Alternative metal.

Most amazing jew boots
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:27 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:27 PM #5 of 1376
You don't like Blind Guardian? too bad, They're easily, IMO, the best Tolkien inspired band out there.

When i hear bands like Sonata Arctica, and Rhapsody, i like them, but i don't get the same feel as i do with Blind Guardian. Maybe it's just cause i listen to BG more heavily then the others.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:52 AM #6 of 1376
I'll download that album when i get home (currently at school). I'll post my thoughts later. thanks for the link.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:52 PM #7 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
That is mainly why i did it, i was getting sick of hearing system of a down being talked about in a metal thread, when they aren't really all that metal and the acoustic rant was mostly a jab at the fans of system of a down. I'm also a hypocrite, as i delved back into my metal collection and their is some stuff like ulver's " bergatt" album that i do like that does incorporate acoustic work. I shall dig out my Dark Tranquility stuff and check out that song.
Ok so this probably isn't the greatest post to use this response to, but i didn't feel like going and finding your original statement.

You don't like acustic guitar in metal? does this transfer over to piano and such other sounds? I would say those instruments, Piano especially, add so much to metal, which is probably why i like Dream Theater so much.

I think it's healthy for a band to do some ballads, or acustic songs, or they end up getting really repetitive and lose me as a member of their audience.

EDIT: fixed some spelling stuff cause knkwzrd wouldn't shut up about it.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Helloween; Mar 13, 2006 at 10:00 PM.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 08:06 PM #8 of 1376
I started on Dream Theater with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I would recomend that album first, or Metropolis Part II: Scenes from a Memory. Those two albums should give you a solid base in how they sound the majority of the time. After that, i say go nuts. They have a wide range of sound to them, so you might end up liking some stuff better than the rest if you have a preference.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 09:13 PM #9 of 1376
Man, i wish Dream Theater would just come to Winnipeg already.

To the people who've seen Dream Theater recently:

How did James Labrie sound? I've noticed his performance in some live shows can be a little questionable. Budokan he was fine, Music in Progress was fine, but yesterday i saw good ol' mr. cam quarter's rendition of the song Octavarium. Seeing as how it was just a guy with a cam quarter, the sound isn't gonna be all that special, but from what i saw, Labrie would just stand at the front of the stage stalk still and sing slightly off key.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:41 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 05:41 PM #10 of 1376
I've recently been exposed to Sonata Arctica by a friend. They're much better than i initially expected. The speed is a nice departure from alot of the stuff i listen to.

I also recently picked up Helloween's first album. Drastically different than all of their other stuff. It's good, but i must say i like Andi Deris better than Kai Hansen as a vocalist. I like Hansen in Gamma Ray, but in Helloween he was a little... i dunno, not as good. Michael Kiske is hovering somewhere inbetween.

Also picked up Chameleon by Helloween. I'm not sure why this album almost destroyed them, i like it quite a bit actually. I like alot of the different sounds they play around with, and i really enjoy the melodic feel the album puts across.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 10:03 PM #11 of 1376
Helloween is set to put out a DVD this year. Unfortunatly they're website is fucked, and it'll probably be a while before they get it fixed, looking at how much it's updated normally.

I know it contains 3 shows, or parts of, from Europe, South America, and another continent, i can't remember. Does anyone know anything else?

Also, thanks for the download knk. Downloading now, and knowing my computer, i should be watching it by tomorrow.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:06 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 04:06 PM #12 of 1376
hey knk, did you mean to only upload the audio to that documentary? I downloaded it, and there was only the audio in that file.

How ya doing, buddy?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:25 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 08:25 PM #13 of 1376
My friend stuck these albums onto an MP3 CD for me.

Ecliptica - Sonata Arctica
Silence - Sonata Arctica
Reckoning Night - Sonata Arctica
Songs of Silence - Sonata Arctica
a bunch of Sonata EPs and singles

Liquid Tension Experiments 1 & 2

Loving all of them so far. The LTE albums are missing a few songs each, and seeing as how i have money now, i think i'm gonna support the band and puchase the albums next chance i get.

Anyone else here into LTE or SA?

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:10 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 11:10 AM #14 of 1376
So everyone's neutral on LTE then?

As for SA, they'll never make it to my "favourite list". I might go and see a show, cause they do come to winnipeg alot. I like they're sound, they remind me of a faster, more keyboardsey version of Helloween.

As for Liquid Tension Experiment, it's basically Dream Theater minus James Labrie. Therefore, i like it. Tony Levin is a terrific bassist, and stick player. He adds something to the DT line up that seems to be missing with Myung. Myung is still great, but in that i-don't-like-to-do-solos kinda of way.

I'm finding that i'm disliking Arsis more and more every day. They're so repetative, and there's almost no deviation in style. Am i the only one who finds this?

And no one knows anything on Helloween's DVD?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:17 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 11:17 AM #15 of 1376
Originally Posted by Krelian
LTE, however, kicks ass. "Three Minute Warning" is my favourite track on their first CD, but if you -really- want to get the real LTE experience you should listen to "Instrumedley" by Dream Theater. There's no Tony Levin, but live Paradigm Shift is an automatic win.
Just so happens Live at Budokan is one of my favourite concert DVDs of all time. Instrumedly is quite amazing. I'm just a little pissed off that they didn't include any Six Degrees on there.

I also downloaded this sweet little private show they did as a promo for a cymbol company. They do 3 songs for a 45 minute show. It's just a guy recording with a video camera, but it's surprisingly high quality. I don't know all the names of songs so i can't name the songs they do off the top of my head, but i do know they do an extended version of Paradigm shift. One of the best live songs i've ever heard.

FELIPE NO
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 02:47 PM #16 of 1376
Be happy. Score, DT's new live DVD/CD set, has Six Degrees in its entirity... With a full orchestral accompaniment.
I saw this come up a few weeks ago on their website. I can't fucking wait.

Quote:
Ooooooooh. Link?
I can't seem to find the torrent i used. I'll upload it somewhere tomorrow. I'm sorta just stopping by at the moment.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:56 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 03:56 PM #17 of 1376
seconded

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:45 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 11:45 AM #18 of 1376
ok knk, you and me goin' to Montreal.

Most amazing jew boots
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:47 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 10:47 PM #19 of 1376
I actually picked that mercenary album off of the Music Exposure club yesterday. I jump on anything labled metal in there. I'm liking this new one so far, i haven't heard enough to really form a solid opinion yet though.

Quote:
It's funny, I actually thought you were talking about his album "Suspended Animation" when you mentioned SA. XD
No i was talking about Sonata Arctica, but that is a fantastic album, and the discussion could spread to that, seeing as how they're all involving two of the same musicians (not Sonata Arctica)

Have you seen G3 live in Tokyo? John puts on a prime performance.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:57 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 03:57 PM #20 of 1376
I support the Maiden movement, but i've never really heard any Deep Purple, save for Smoke on the Water, so i'll just leave my recomendations with Maiden for now.

If you end up liking Maiden, i suggest you check out Helloween Pre 1995. They have a very Maidenesque sound to them with their 2nd through 5th album. Their first album is very grungy, and hard edge. Anything after 1995, when Andi Deris joined the band as lead singer is almost a mixture of both sounds. They're an interesting group, and i suggest you at least check out Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts I and II.

How ya doing, buddy?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:17 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 05:17 PM #21 of 1376
I rather liked Luca's latest solo album. Does this mean i'll like Rhapsody?

I've been trying to expand my musical gene pool, and after Mercenary, and Luca Turilli were officially accepted into my music circle, i've been on the prowl again for new bands to check out.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:36 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 09:36 PM #22 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Eh?
Walls of Jericho is indeed awesome, but I don't think he likes power/speed metal. Then again he DOES like Priest... hmmm.
Now it's my turn to say eh?

I hear glaring similarities between Pre '95 Helloween and Iron Maiden. If he's a purist, i can easily see him not liking Helloween in the Andi Deris era, but Maiden, i think is a pretty good indicator that Helloween in the early days is a good direction him.

But that's just me.

How ya doing, buddy?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:26 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 09:26 PM #23 of 1376
Progressive Rock is the genre that NEEDS something else tacked on for it to make sense. It's too broad to just say that one band is "progressive rock"

FELIPE NO
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 10:10 PM #24 of 1376
Not really. Rush are about the most plain straight-up prog rock band there is, so it wouldn't any sense to further classify them.
I might argue with you on that point. A band like Rush could just as easily be classified as Early Progressive Metal. One also has to consider what you'd classify Yes as. If you just call them Progressive rock, that'd be contradicting Rush being called Straight up Progressive rock.

Geronimo Black can be called Prog rock, but i don't hear any similarties to Rush or Yes for that matter.

Mind you, i said i might argue with you. This is just me justifying my above statement.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:24 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 10:24 PM #25 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
EDIT: post 666 in the Metal Thread. Kickass.
Yeah, i was just about to piont that out.

quick, add something about Iron Maiden just for continuity!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)