Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:52 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:52 PM #1 of 1376
I haven't been listening to much Metal lately, allthought I do from time to time, I just haven't been in the mood for it as of late.

One interesting band that someone has shown me was Knorkator. They are a VERY interesting odd sounding band. I really couldn't get into them much at first, but after hearing their cover of "Try Again" from the Romeo Must Die soundtrack it got me hooked because, well it's just a catchy song and them doing just was great to hear.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:47 PM #2 of 1376
So just wondering, what metal bands do you all listen to? I never paid attention in the last metal thread, but I could probably talk about music more in here if I knew what people listened to in this topic. My favorite metal bands

Dream Theater
Demons & Wizards
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
In Flames
Soilwork
Metallica
Megadeth
Nightwish
Lunatica

Some others, but obviously I am not into the huge death metal style, but I am open to quite a few different styles of metal.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:14 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:14 PM #3 of 1376
I am sure many will hate me with my opinion on this, but there has only been one Metal band that I have hated since I have heard them. I always get questioned about it, but I cannot stand Pantera.

I never liked their music much, and after watching everyone fall in love with them after the guitarist died, just was crazy.

I never cared about Mushuggah either, I mean it's great heavy music. The vocalist is just terrible to me. If there is a bad vocalist in music, it just turns me off to the entire band. I am close minded like that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:38 PM #4 of 1376
Quote:
John Petrucci\
Joe Satriani - basically G3
Steve Vai /
I odn't mean to change the subject much, but with that. I watched the DVD of the G3 show and allthough it featured many great guitarist. It was just boring after awhile. The guitar is my favorite instrument, I love watching people do what they can with it, but there was nothing to pull me into the music anyone was playing. It was more like "I can do this, isn't it cool?" rather than "I can play this, isn't it amazing?" if you get that.

I haven't seen Petrucci on that DVD, but the rest I have. I hope he did something a little more amazing than the rest.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 02:03 PM #5 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Probably the best show I've ever been to was 3 Inches Of Blood and Corrosion of Conformity opening for Motörhead. I couldn't hear for days after that.
I saw 3 Inches of Blood back in november opening for Exodus. My friend thought they were an amazing band and he got me into them, and the live show just blew me away. The bassist had so much energy on stage it was crazy. After the concert got done I couldn't lift my neck because it was so sore from the concert

They were much better than Exodus.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:44 AM #6 of 1376
Originally Posted by S?ecter
IRT Brent
Ok, Thanks, just curious...

Anyone here a System of a Down fan, if so, where would you classify them, Genre-wise? (It seems to be hard for people to classify them)
I am a pretty big System of a Down fan. I would classify them as Metal. They might have an odd sound, but they're still heavy and whatnot, so no matter how many different styles of music are in their band, it's still all metal to me..Damn catchy good metal at that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:34 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:34 PM #7 of 1376
Originally Posted by S?ecter
Have any of you guys heard of Rhapsody? They're awesome, like an Italian(but sing in English) Sci-Fi Fantasy Metal Band! It's awesome, if you want an idea what they're like, download the song "Emerald Sword" or go to their site here for more details...
I think I am thinking of the right band, but my friends completely dig that band. Me, on the other hand, I cannot take them. There is something odd about them that I just dislike. I do like a band that has a semi similar sound, which is Sonata Arctica, but Rhapsody just isn't for me. (If I am thinking of the right band)

FELIPE NO
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:48 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:48 AM #8 of 1376
Quote:
While not necessarily metal, has anyone heard the new KMFDM album? I heard the first two tracks the other day, and I'm just curious if its worth a purchase.
I am a semi/big KMFDM fan. Their new album, I think kicks ass. It's not boring like their previous release of "Attak", but it's still really good music. Friends described it as "A lot more dancy" but in a good way.

I bought it the day it came out, still listen to it quite a bit.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:38 AM #9 of 1376
Quote:
Can you believe that Lonely Day is the latest single off of Hypnotize? I would have thought it would have been something like Tentative or Stealing Society, but I never saw that one coming...Oh well, I guess they want to show their softer side to the public everyonce and a while...
That surprised me a bit when I heard about it a few days ago. Lonely Day is considered one of their worst songs off of that album by most of the fans for poor lyrics. I really enjoyed it and listened to it probably the most out of any other song, rather than the pie song (title escapes me).

Either way, I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but I bought Dream Theater- Train of Thought, and that cd amazes me. That is probably the best cd I have bought since Once by Nightwish.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:48 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:48 PM #10 of 1376
I love acoustic guitars in metal. It's great hearing bands that can use both styles of guitar and make it sound to the best of their ability. A lot of metal bands that I have heard (In Flames, Dream Theater, Metallica..ect) all have used acoustic guitars in a lot of their songs, either instrumental parts or whatnot, they all sounded quite amazing.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 11:22 AM #11 of 1376
I just bought two new Dream Theater albums over a few weeks time and they are both amazing cd's. "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" and "Scenes from a Memory"

They are both great cd's and I am glad I purchased them, I love the huge story in Scenes from a Memory. I think I am going to turn into a huge Dream Theater music freak over the next few months. I love their music.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:08 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 03:08 PM #12 of 1376
Quote:
Anyone have suggestions on a good album, because I'll probably pick one up when I have cash?
To tell you the truth, I haven't heard a bad album of theirs besides "Awake" which you shouldn't buy first.

Metropolis II Scenes from a Memory, by Dream Theater is my favorite release by them. I reviewed the cd on this site on another board. Dream Theater Review

If you are going for something heavy, then try and buy their album "Train of Thought" it's also another great album.

Octavarium and 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulance are good also, just I wouldn't buy those first though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Living Legend; Apr 4, 2006 at 06:10 PM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 07:34 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 04:34 PM #13 of 1376
Hey, just wondering VH1 is doing a "metal Month" type thing on their channel where at night I suppose they show metal video's/movies/whatnot. Any opinions on them trying to reach out to the "metal" crowd?

Take this keycard, you can unlock the doors in the hall with this. Now GO!...JUST go!
A hero that lived long enough to see himself become the villain.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 02:16 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 11:16 AM #14 of 1376
I think I am losing my metal-ness

I can't get into many metal bands as much as I used to and am falling into the more poppy music. I go from metallica/Dream Theater/Nightwish/Lunatica/Symphony X and many many other bands to more poppy stuff like

Bloodhound Gang
T.a.t.u
The Sounds
Bond
Black Eyed Peas
Dresden Dolls

My pure metal-ness is failing. The only two metal bands I listen to anymore are Dream Theater and Sonata Arctica. Two bands which I just find amazing. Have you guys ever stopped liking metal for a different type of music for a period of time?

Most amazing jew boots

Take this keycard, you can unlock the doors in the hall with this. Now GO!...JUST go!
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:42 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 03:42 PM #15 of 1376
Originally Posted by vemp
Can anyone recommend me bands that sound like Gamma Ray/Heavenly/Concerto Moon? I'm kinda of back to my heavy metal/power metal phase again. Right now I'm loving Sex Machineguns (Japanese heavy metal). Now if only I could find bands that sounds like them...
Nice list of music there, I have been getting into sorts of power metal, and I am listening to heavenly for the first time right now, they're pretty fucking awesome. Need to listen of the rest you have written down...Thanks!

FELIPE NO

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 12:07 PM #16 of 1376
The whole Dragonforce conversation, I love the band. It might be mindless headbanging, but when you are in the mood to listen to something with high energy, they fit the mood perfectly and make ya go fucking insane when you have enough energy.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:43 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 01:43 PM #17 of 1376
I am not sure if you guys discussed this or not, but to you prefer your metal music with clean or aggressive screaming vocals?

For myself, I prefer clean vocals- I can get into the music much easier and all around I think it sounds better. I do listen to bands with aggressive vocals also, such as In Flames and Soilwork and wow, thats about it. I never find myself in the mood to listen to those bands much though because I am rarely in an aggressive mood.

What do you guys prefer?

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:33 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2006, 07:33 PM #18 of 1376
Quote:
What a strange question... Why would you like metal music if you don't like aggressive music? You can't separate the aggression from the metal.
I love aggressive music, I just don't like aggressive vocals. A lot of the time, it just ruins the music for me.

Rather than that though, I have recently been listening to a band called Vanden Plas. You guys have probably heard of them, but so far I have enjoyed a lot of their music. I wrote a short review of their newest cd on this site. If you like Dream Theater you might enjoy these guys Vanden Plas Myspace Music Page

Last edited by Living Legend; Jul 24, 2006 at 10:39 PM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 11:04 AM #19 of 1376
What do you guys think of gimmicks in metal music, or just music in general? For example-

Gwar with their crazy out of this world costumes and story behind them
Avenged Sevenfold with...well whatever the hell they have going for them
Manson- With the outragious stage antics and putting good with evil.

Speaking of that though, any of you have opinions on the band Lordi? I have just heard "Blood Red Sandman" a few days ago and I instantly went out and ordered their album.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:43 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 12:43 PM #20 of 1376
Eh, I am not really digging coldseed. I love Blind Guardian and Soilwork but I don't know, to me it sounds like typical metal that isn't very interesting. Maybe I just need to listen to it more.

If you want to listen to them, they have a Profile on myspace

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:59 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 07:59 PM #21 of 1376
I have been heavily getting into power metal again, that and some pretty heavy melodic music like Opeth.

Right now I have been listening to Dragonforce and Kamelot a hell of a lot, their music is jaw dropping. Their music is a great source to get energy from.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:31 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 12:31 AM #22 of 1376
Just last night I got back from a Mushroomhead concert, HOLY CRAP did it suck but was amazing at the same time.

Soil
Brand New Sin

and a few other bands played and they were absolutely dreadful, so bad that my friend got kicked by the singer because he didn't react to their music postively.

When Soil took stage, HOLY CRAP one of their guitarists or bassists looks almost exactly like the actor who played in...ahh some crappy disney movie called Brink!. Thats the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the dude. I can't find a good comparison picture, but oh well.

Mushroomhead, although not my favorite band kicked ass. They put on such an intense show at such a small venue. -The Boardwalk, Orangevale,CA-

So my concert list headliners
-Mindless Self Indulgence-
-Exodus-
-The 69 Eyes-
-The Sounds-
-Gwar-
-Mushroomhead-

Most amazing jew boots

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:06 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 03:06 PM #23 of 1376
Quote:
Angra, Epica, Haggard, Sonata Arctica, & Within Temptation are the only other symphonic bands that come to mind that I have, apart from Nightwish, BG, & Rhapsody.
You should check out Kamelot also then. Great syphonic epic metal band. I just bought their album Epica and it's quite amazing.

I know it's probably horrible to bring up, but I bought another Marilyn Manson cd, and it's actually really good. I love industrial elements brought into metal.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Living Legend; Oct 17, 2006 at 06:58 PM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 06:19 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 03:19 AM #24 of 1376
Lately, I cannot get enough of 'gothic' female bands. I don't know why, when I start to stray away from that style of music I always get sucked back in and love it because of another band. It can be Nightwish,Lunatica,Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, and even Evanescence. Something about female vocals over rock/metal makes very addicting music to listen to for me. If anyone can recommend anymore bands like the above, it would be helpful for me.

Anyway, with the more metal style. Arkona is quickly becoming a great band to listen to, after a friend introduced me to them I cannot get enough of them.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2006, 12:54 PM #25 of 1376
Quote:
It's a shame the new Lunatica album is kind of... Bad.
I actually liked it quite a bit, it was a lot more 'poppy' so to say, but I enjoyed the entire album pretty much. I listened to it a lot more than Fables and Dreams

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)