Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] FF VII Crisis Core - Big swords and big hair, it's like the 80's all over again

Chip
SquareEnix's #1 Whore

Member 1989

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:05 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2008, 07:05 PM #76 of 121
Damn I want that bundle!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
PSN: Squareh00r
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:09 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2008, 09:09 PM 2 #77 of 121
You know, that box art is simply terrible. Let's fade the environment of the game into the background and focus on the character. But! Let's only focus on him from the lips down. Christ, are they seriously depending on the buster sword to sell the game to oblivious customers?

Edit: Hold on a second, it comes in a shoe box. Mystery solved. I'm buying it, and I don't even own a PSP.
Don't worry, the promotional posters solve the mystery!

I was speaking idiomatically.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:05 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2008, 09:05 AM #78 of 121
Any word on if a special PSP system + game package like the Japanese one will be available in NA?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:42 PM #79 of 121
While it'd be cool (I need to buy a PSP anyway, and gettign a bundle would be, well, worth it), I somehow highly doubt it. While the rabid FF7 fan masses would eat it up, I assume Square-Enix only finds the rabid Japanese FF7 fan masses worthy. I mean, giving their record with their other, what I like to call "fan service" games (KH2 Final Mix, FF10 and FF12 International, other crap I don't remember), I doubt it.

But, hey, who knows. That's only my opinion, after all.

FELIPE NO
Chip
SquareEnix's #1 Whore

Member 1989

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2008, 06:27 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2008, 07:27 PM #80 of 121
While it'd be cool (I need to buy a PSP anyway, and gettign a bundle would be, well, worth it), I somehow highly doubt it. While the rabid FF7 fan masses would eat it up, I assume Square-Enix only finds the rabid Japanese FF7 fan masses worthy. I mean, giving their record with their other, what I like to call "fan service" games (KH2 Final Mix, FF10 and FF12 International, other crap I don't remember), I doubt it.

But, hey, who knows. That's only my opinion, after all.

Seconded, they never really 'fed' us with these kinda of bundles....

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
PSN: Squareh00r
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:05 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2008, 10:05 PM #81 of 121
A-ha! So I assume most of you are playing the game now, just as I am. Definitely enjoying the heck out of it. So why have I stopped playing the game to post in this thread?

Simple. I keep hearing the Mission Complete theme (remixed from FF7's "Fanfare") and I went to search for the OST and download it. Problem is, the fanfare's not on it. Has anyone seen or heard of that song being ripped?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:49 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 07:49 AM #82 of 121
Victory fanfare, and other non OST audio files can be found here.

SilentTweak | Crisis Core Translations Guide - Crisis Core Subs - YouTube - Free Downloads

There's nowhere I can't reach.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:07 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 11:07 AM #83 of 121
Oh, I can see why it wasn't included in the OST. It's not even 30 seconds long.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:49 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2008, 05:49 PM #84 of 121
Gah Zack's voice is really putting me off, sounds like the person who didn't get the role of Tidus.

Battle system is enjoyable I must add, and the cutscenes have beautiful detail. Any other thoughts will come as I play along.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:04 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2008, 11:04 AM #85 of 121
Somebody is likin' it, and I don't even like action-RPG's. I like how I can just focus on choosing attacks and Zack will run around by himself; that makes it playable for me.

How the hell did that missile-blocking mini-game thing work? I thought I was smashing every one of them, hitting it when I heard that noise the game said to listen for, but then Turk-face was all, "That was atrocious," afterwards.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:17 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2008, 03:17 PM #86 of 121
So I just got the game. Big surprise right? I'm having a decent time so far. The combat is enjoyable and the voice acting is no slouch either. Zack might seem like a Tidus rip-off because unlike Cloud, he's not emo. The missions are pretty neat, although they usually boil down to "Defeat X" or "Defeat Y to get X". Music is a bit generic sounding but nothing to complain over. I'm not quite sure how the DMW thing works, but its been giving me neat status effects in battle so whatever! Overall its not the best game, but its well presented for a handheld game and the graphics are about what I'd expect from Squeenix.

Gameplay could be a bit deeper, or perhaps more control over the DMW. A proper review later on might follow.

Jochie: I don't know, that mini-game seemed completely... pointless? and completely easy too. I just hit X when the thing turned red. Tseng (Turk-Face) said great work or something like that. He gave me 900 Gil and
mentioned something about how I got paid well for destroying Shinra evidence.

Div03
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 13596

Level 1.47

Oct 2006

Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:59 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2008, 12:59 AM #87 of 121
Am I the only one who finds the battle system unappealing?

I'm going to try it sooner or later, but having the core system of an action RPG as a slot machine seems really... stupid. I always avoided slot machine mechanics in RPGs (more specifically FF games) so I'm not entirely looking forward to having it as a main integrated system.

Get 777 to level up? I suck at slots, so does that mean it will be hard for me to level up?

FELIPE NO
The Lord of the Donut
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:48 AM #88 of 121
Er, not at all. Unless you're playing hard mode, you'll get 777's on a regular basis. You'll level up when needed. You'll never feel you're underpowered. The DMW is only needed for summons, limit breaks, and to give you specific abilities like no AP for a limited time and such.

The core gameplay is still hack and slash. I think it's a better system than what we got in Kingdom Hearts.

El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:29 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2008, 01:29 PM #89 of 121
I must agree with Dark Nation about the missions, they are just defeat X and Y. It would be nice if we had some cheeky character interaction or were given the chance to explore areas to develop sidequests; at least proper mini-game.

Good thing is if you do them at the Shinra building you can go downstairs and drink one of those potions from the woman near the entrance, it gives you Auto-Life fully heals and removes any bad status effects. I've done most of the game so far under Auto-life which does help in some of the missions.

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:39 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2008, 04:39 PM #90 of 121
I finished the game last weekend, and I have to say it was better than I thought it'd be. It was a rather short game, and the main story bosses weren't hard at all, I managed to finish the game in just 15 hours, but that's only with 25% of the missions finished. I've since then played to 23 hours to end at around 65% of the missions finished. But I don't really feel like finishing the rest, not when I have other games to play at least. The missions were a nice add on, they could however have put some more variety in it than just the same areas over and over again with just different enemies in them. I think they could have made the game a bit harder and given more length to it if they had made the last boss in the game much harder so that you'd have to clear more of the missions instead of leaving them to the side with not much reason to do them after finishing the game. It also feels kinda stupid when most of the small enemies in the game's missions are harder than the last boss.

Fighting system was good, it felt fresh and it was very easy to play, but I thought it was somewhat lacking in some aspects. I thought the DMW was a nice addon at times, but I'd rather have a fighting system that you'd get to control and customize more by yourself than just some randomized system giving you strong attacks or some bonus of some kind. I would have wanted more dynamics in the game overall, like, more than one controllable character. Also, the games different skills were VERY unbalanced. Some of them suck real bad and are practically useless while some skills KICK ASS like there's no tomorrow. As soon as you get the Quake magic there will be not much need for other magic I tell you (unless you are facing any aerial enemies. In that case I keep my Vital Slash and/or Darkness skill ready to kill any of the enemies that's left). Also, dodging is essential while the guard option is practically useless. Most attacks are easily dodged and you can dodge out even when the attack animation has started while the guard is clumsy and you won't be able to use it until the attack animation is over.

The story started out kinda boring IMO, but it got much better at the end. Not gonna go much more into that now since it seems you guys haven't finished the game yet.

Overall, it was a good game, on a scale of ten I'd give it 8.5.

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:27 PM #91 of 121
Am I the only one who finds the battle system unappealing?

I'm going to try it sooner or later, but having the core system of an action RPG as a slot machine seems really... stupid. I always avoided slot machine mechanics in RPGs (more specifically FF games) so I'm not entirely looking forward to having it as a main integrated system.

Get 777 to level up? I suck at slots, so does that mean it will be hard for me to level up?
You are not alone in that department. I beat the game in about 12 hours, and the only true enjoyment I got out of it was the ending. (which was very well done) The DMW epicly failed on me for the last boss fight. Nothing like getting a lvl 5 Lucky Stars only for it to land on Aerith over and over again... I did have a horrible materia set up though. (no AOE magic = LOL GG!!)

I played a game that has a very similar combat engine to this. (minus the DMW) It did have multiplayer though. It's called Valhalla Knights. That game was shitted on by the general public for the dull gameplay, yet this game is getting praised left and right for it's even more dull battle system. Why should this game get any favoritism? Oh, that's right! FFVII! Silly me!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Div03
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 13596

Level 1.47

Oct 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:42 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 04:42 AM #92 of 121
Okay yeah I did play it for a few hours.

It's even worse than I thought.

I'm trying to collect my thoughts to express how much I hate the "Modulation Phase" of the DMW. The effects that occur randomly throughout battle though doesn't bother me as much, I feel that's a welcome addition to help spice up gameplay in any RPG, such as defeat this enemy and get SP to that thing will keep spinning. It's nifty.

But oh god, the modulation phase. Why did they do this? Since when was it that players wanted even less control over their development and attacks? Isn't this a step in the wrong direction? Every time I see the modulation phase I think to myself, "Oh mighty Crisis Core engine, is it time for me to become more powerful? Am I worthy enough of a level 3 Blizzard materia? Or perhaps a level 4 Cure materia?" It doesn't even feel random any more, it just feels so... Pre-determined, like they hard coded when I'd gain a level.

I find it hilarious how these reviewers simply write this phase off as a bad design decision, but forgive it. Where as like you said Manny if it was any other franchise then it would be a score killer.

Bleh.

Most amazing jew boots
The Lord of the Donut
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:23 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 08:23 AM #93 of 121
I don't know why you guys seem to hate the DMW so much. I like that it's something out of the way and not one more thing I have to worry about. The game doesn't necessarily punish you for having weak materia either. There hasn't come a point yet where I feel like I'm severely handicapped because of the materia I have equipped. I've got several pieces that have already achieved Master status as well.

I don't know why the Modulation Phase bothers you so much Div, since it's just a screen that says "Hey, you've got a real chance at summoning something, performing a bigger attack, and/or leveling up. Watch closely!" It only interferes when the chance of you getting something significant is high.

Beyond the DMW, maybe this game's all-around score is slightly influenced by it being FF7, but certainly not all of it. Maybe if it were getting 9.5s and 10s, then yeah I'd agree. But it's not like Dirge of Cerberus was well-received, as it got pretty low scores across the board. Crisis Core's primary success points come from the characters and the story, which serve are more-than-sufficient prequel material to FF7, and they're developed really well throughout the game. I haven't beaten it yet, having clocked in about 15~18 hours so far, but I really like the game.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:56 AM #94 of 121
I've only started playing myself, only a couple of hours clocked in so far, though. The DMV doesn't piss me off as much as it used to, I just hate the complete random fact of it. I keep expecting to level up 3 times in a battle (and I have to admit though, I hate not leveling up on my own...) I think what really nerves me about this game is the continuing trend of all the characters looking like pretty boys. I don't know when or where that style of art got to be the FF standard, but I'm getting a bit sick of it. (Not to mention the in-game art of Zack reminds me of Sora and Tidus combined... ugh)

As for gameplay, I'm 50/50 on it. While it's definitely different, I think I like the ability tohave more than 1 person in my party. (I'm guessin that may change later on down the line? I don't want to know until I find out on my own, so shush! :P ) The battles remind me alot of Parasite Eve-style, too. (Which isn't a bad thing)

Like I said, I'm not that far into it and I think I can get a grasp of what's going on (I haven't really played Final Fantasy 7 since I beat it two weeks after it came out). Hopefully that DMV crap is going to be stuck to CC and it won't end up in the FF7 remake. (We all know it's going to happen, the only question is WHEN now. lol)

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 09:02 AM #95 of 121
Beyond the DMW, maybe this game's all-around score is slightly influenced by it being FF7, but certainly not all of it. Maybe if it were getting 9.5s and 10s, then yeah I'd agree. But it's not like Dirge of Cerberus was well-received, as it got pretty low scores across the board. Crisis Core's primary success points come from the characters and the story, which serve are more-than-sufficient prequel material to FF7, and they're developed really well throughout the game. I haven't beaten it yet, having clocked in about 15~18 hours so far, but I really like the game.
Point taken, but I'm getting more around the tired old fact that Square is cutting corners like usual. They force feed us this nonsense that they clearly didn't put much effort into. (as far as the gameplay is concerned at least.) The majority of the game was mash X with a occasional push of the square button and victory ensues. I never even had to touch the block button...

This post by Denicalis pretty much sums up my frustration perfectly.
http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/rp...tml#post552029

Most amazing jew boots
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:17 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 09:17 AM #96 of 121
It does seem like they tried to make it an action game so it appeals to a more general audience, but then dumbed down the action parts so that people who are used to turn-based/menu-based games can handle the game. They should have just made it exactly like FFVII and nobody would be disappointed, though many would criticize a lack of innovation. I think that's all Squenix aims for these days: random innovation.

I'm still playing this game, though, because the story is interesting and the gameplay isn't quite too difficult or boring to prevent me from proceeding to the next cut scene.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:34 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 05:34 PM #97 of 121
It does seem like they tried to make it an action game so it appeals to a more general audience, but then dumbed down the action parts so that people who are used to turn-based/menu-based games can handle the game. They should have just made it exactly like FFVII and nobody would be disappointed, though many would criticize a lack of innovation. I think that's all Squenix aims for these days: random innovation.

I'm still playing this game, though, because the story is interesting and the gameplay isn't quite too difficult or boring to prevent me from proceeding to the next cut scene.
That's the problem with such a rabid and polarized audience / fan-base. Any innovation they try will be more harshly criticized as being uninspired or not a true Final Fantasy title, and any return to their traditional battle systems will be panned for not being innovative enough. 'Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't', I think the saying goes.

Yeah, the game isn't perfect, but I'm enjoying getting through it and in the end, that is what is most important: Am I enjoying the game?

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:23 PM #98 of 121
Hey, I would've been perfectly fine with gameplay that was close to FFVII. I enjoyed this battle system a little bit at first, but I found that the only reason I finished the game, was because it ended before I could get sick enough of it to stop playing.

On a side note, they have to make a FFVII remake at this point. At least if they want to keep CC as canon...

Div03

Member 13596

Level 1.47

Oct 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:10 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 09:10 PM #99 of 121
Today I experienced the dread of the combat system.

See, in these kind of games I can get by on storyline. They did the storyline scenes very well and I'm interested in seeing them. The battles are moreso hurdles that I need to jump over to get to the next storyline scene, and when I jump over too many in a short period of time, I get real tired of it. That happened today when I was playing and just shut it off, because spamming X to win each battle was just boring and I didn't care for it.

They should have just made it a movie imo.

Honestly these combat systems don't bother me much when theres a deep customization involved. But guess what? There isn't in CC. I'm a huge fan of action RPGs and this takes all the fun away from the equation and tacks on a nifty storyline.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Lord of the Donut
OberonAxelay
Random Folk

Member 28969

Level 1.10

Mar 2008

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:52 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 12:52 PM #100 of 121
Today I experienced the dread of the combat system.

See, in these kind of games I can get by on storyline. They did the storyline scenes very well and I'm interested in seeing them. The battles are moreso hurdles that I need to jump over to get to the next storyline scene, and when I jump over too many in a short period of time, I get real tired of it. That happened today when I was playing and just shut it off, because spamming X to win each battle was just boring and I didn't care for it.

They should have just made it a movie imo.

Honestly these combat systems don't bother me much when theres a deep customization involved. But guess what? There isn't in CC. I'm a huge fan of action RPGs and this takes all the fun away from the equation and tacks on a nifty storyline.
Agreed. I started out on Hard Mode and I regret it now, because it shows off the flaws in the battle system even more and most boss battles are simply a battle of atrition (or luck of the DMW) rather than any skill or strategy. The cutscenes are nice, but the fact that you can't skip them and it seems that a 2-minute scene precedes every boss merely adds to my frustrations with this game...

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] FF VII Crisis Core - Big swords and big hair, it's like the 80's all over again