Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:54 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 07:54 PM #76 of 248
I lay my interest more on SO1 since I never played it. And if I wanted to play SO2 that badly, I'll just convert the ps1 iso to eboot,etc (which was done 4months ago). All there's to it is voice acting, unknown extra features, and the anime cutscenes. There's lots psp games out there to get. The game is only great to have around as a collection to my psp library (4 games that is..;p ). Anyway, the psp was worth owning from the beginning.
I believe the director is on record as saying these are both going to be complete remakes, SO2 included. Even if it wasn't, SO2 with a competent localization would be enough of a selling point, I'd think.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 09:33 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 07:33 PM 1 #77 of 248
Well, if any of you wanted to play it on your TV that badly you could just get the new version of the PSP and use the video out cables. :/

I was speaking idiomatically.
Stuff goes here~
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:06 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 09:06 PM #78 of 248
That apparently isn't even out yet, also thank you for the heads up.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:08 PM #79 of 248
Well now that the handheld is getting these games that you guys are totally fapping over, wouldn't that make the handheld, oh I don't know, more useful and possibly worth owning? There are several PSP games out that I am pretty interested in, but I won't get them, or the PSP simply because I would rather play my games on my 40" widescreen than a handheld, but I don't consider the PSP useless.
Contradicting yourself. You first say the PSP is worth owning, you have one, and there are games for it, but you'd rather play games on a TV rather than a handheld, thus the portable is infact pretty useless.

There's not even 10 games worth playing on the PSP, two of them are goddamn awesome except controlling them is a bitch on the PSP(Monster Hunter, christ come to the 360 already fuck capcom goddamn), and some others, but that's nowhere enough to keep my attention to it. Thus, romz and such are it's only current use outside of those games.

As such it's kinda sad that it can output to a TV, which makes it slightly better. But then it's not really portable anymore...

Despite the DS also pulling this awesome upcoming game on a handheld shit (dragon quest 9, goddamnit i died a little) It at least has plenty of good, fun games. The PSP has a handful. My psp i'm stealin from a friend who doesn't even use his anymore. SO1 and 2, IF they actually come over here, will probably be the only games i'll own for it.

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:35 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 09:35 PM #80 of 248
Are you retarded? Work on your reading comprehension skills son. I did not say that I have a PSP. I said, and you conveniently quoted

Originally Posted by myself
There are several PSP games out that I am pretty interested in, but I won't get them, or the PSP
I am speaking fairly plain English here.

Originally Posted by Ashton
As such it's kinda sad that it can output to a TV, which makes it slightly better. But then it's not really portable anymore...
But you see, if I say that I would rather play it on my tv, wouldn't that clearly infer, as clearly as something can be inferred, that I care nothing about portability? Perhaps I care more about simply playing the games that I am interested in playing than I care about being able to play the games in some place that is not my living room. I know it may come as a shock to some people, but when I am at work, I don't have any interest in playing video games, and quite frankly, it would be frowned upon to such an extent that I would be in need of a new job. When I am away from my home, I don't typically have any desire to be playing video games, since I am probably doing something that is productive or in some other way entertaining.

And to reply to that quote from a more general perspective, if someone connects their PSP to their tv, I would expect that they also are not, at that moment, as concerned with the portability of the PSP as they are with simply enjoying a game on it, but connecting it to their tv does not preclude them from, at some point, disconnecting it from their tv and enjoying its portability.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:09 PM #81 of 248

I'm not talking about the consumer level. What i'm saying is that I shouldn't have to drop 140+bux on a portable system with few good games to play the one or two games i want to play when it could have been released on a console in the first place.

I have a DS, and I somewhat have a PSP, but if i didn't have these I'd be hard pressed to find a reason other than said very few games to get a PSP. The DS is an easier decision, but I'd still be hard pressed about spending money on it because i don't favor small screens.

I can understand it from a coporate standpoint for releasing stuff on the DS, It sells like rice in Japan and america. The PSP is somewhat popular i guess, in japan at least thanks to MH2. But really, i'd rather be in my house playing these for the reasons you gave.

Excuse me, i need to go pass by WALLS OF TEXT on my tiny screen.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:32 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 09:32 PM #82 of 248
Welcome to the world of gaming, where you have to buy a certain gaming device if you want to play a certain game you want. This is nothing new.

I really want to play Zelda and I have to buy a Wii to play it. If I want to play the next Ace Combat I need a 360. If I want Final Fantasy I got to go buy a PS3. Pokemon? Need a DS/Gameboy. It has always been that way... There's always going to be some game you want to really play but need a console you dont have.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Stuff goes here~
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:50 PM #83 of 248
umm SO1 can be uh played for free with dejaps rom translation!!! Because it's not PSP exclusive and the revised art is... uh worst...

Star Ocean 2 will likely remain the same...

unless they are remaking Blue Sphere and uh translating it... nothing here interesting... in other news... the newer model PSPs allow you to connect to a TV for play on a screen thats not tiny.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:42 AM #84 of 248
Welcome to the world of gaming, where you have to buy a certain gaming device if you want to play a certain game you want. This is nothing new.

I really want to play Zelda and I have to buy a Wii to play it. If I want to play the next Ace Combat I need a 360. If I want Final Fantasy I got to go buy a PS3. Pokemon? Need a DS/Gameboy. It has always been that way... There's always going to be some game you want to really play but need a console you dont have.
Whoa now, don't invite such ideas into my head so quickly now!

That's not my point either. My point is that, in my opinion, releasing a myriamid of games for a handheld is not helping the console community at all. The Wii and PS3 have been out for almost a year and they don't have many good games for them, aside from a few. The 360 longer but it's only just getting RPGs at all.

With my opinion soley on RPGs, for the moment, it just seems that only handhelds seem to be getting a lot of them, PS2 aside. I find this a terrible idea, since handhelds are not really good for most RPGs. It worked for pokemon, but not too many other RPGs were very good on them. Most are ports or remakes, like SO2 and FFV, or FFT.

RPG companies just don't seem to be concentrating on the new generation of systems at all. I'm only really hearing news of games on the handhelds.

Maybe i'm just fustrated with the wait time. Was it ever this bad before? I mean damn, only just now did Blue Dragon and soon Eternal Sonata come for the 360, as such i'm now more interested in it.

I seriously hope both do well in Japan/America and hopefully they'll start producing more games for it.

I have to buy a DS and a PSP to get my RPG fix for this generation, but I don't have to fucking like it.

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 04:35 AM #85 of 248
Yeah, well, I really don't think the new art is honestly worse than THIS.

At least Dorn wears fucking pants now. Opinions, I know, but the original artwork looks pretty creepy to me. Ratix looks alright, the rest look pretty crappy. Oh, and it DEFINITELY looks better than THIS.

I rest my case.

Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen

Last edited by Forsety; Sep 8, 2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: used smaller pix thx
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:56 AM #86 of 248
Yep, as great games SO1 and 2 were, the art was so badawful it hurt

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:04 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2007, 09:04 AM #87 of 248
I hope the PSP remakes come over here. I think I'd give the first one a whirl, though I don't know how anxious I am to play through SO2 again. *Dodges tomato*

Edit:
Quote:
The PSP is somewhat popular i guess, in japan at least thanks to MH2.
Crisis Core says hello.

Also, larger versions of the screens found in the scans:

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Hindman; Sep 8, 2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Adding response and adding pics
PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:56 PM #88 of 248
Those screens look great. If these remakes make it to the states, I will purchase a PSP just to play them!

Anyway, here are a few pics and some minor info regarding SO4.

squeenix's a blue-balling whore

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2007, 01:14 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2007, 12:14 AM #89 of 248
Uh oh, they're not recycling the backgrounds from the original SO2 are they? I'm having bad flashbacks to those caves littered with the skeletons of giants. Kind of spoils the effect when the dungeon dressings aren't to scale.

Still don't like the new art. SO1's main character's eyes are staring into my soul.

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2007, 03:50 AM #90 of 248
The Ratix redesign makes Ratix look like Fayt.... and Milly looks like she belongs as a minor character in a Miyazaki film...

Looking at Rena Revision 4 kind of irritates me...
Yes I kept count...
Rena (original)
Rena (Star Ocean EX)
Rena (Star Ocean Blue Sphere)
and now... new and looking like a kid Rena Remake... yay... I almost wish they used clips from Star Ocean EX....

With the cutscenes and all I wonder if they strip you of your freedom in Star Ocean 2.... originally you could go through the game and only have Claude and Rena.... that was great! :P

On the other hand... Claude looks almost exactly the same as the original... except they slendered him down... a little.

Last edited by Kuhazan; Sep 9, 2007 at 03:56 AM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:34 AM #91 of 248
Shit, Rena's looking too cute there, but I would still rank her original design as the best minus that bad cutscene at the end of the game ;p.When I see this Milly character, her look resembles Archie from ToP. And they seriously need to add more emotion to Ratix's face. He looks coke'd up O_O.

Quote:
With the cutscenes and all I wonder if they strip you of your freedom in Star Ocean 2.... originally you could go through the game and only have Claude and Rena.... that was great! :P
Better not happen >=/. That was one of its best points in the game. I mean it aint that bad either. But I would love it if Square Enix fixed a few bugs in the game and have an option where you choose to play the original or the tweaked version. I always loved using Claude's Head Splitter attack but when you level it up too much, you end up in another world where you are either going from the ceiling or all the way in the bottom and the only way to get out of it was for you to die OR wait for the other morons to kill off the boss. That glitch sucked but its not like you need the move throughout the whole game. I would usually have Ripper Blast/Mirror Slice or Twin Slash to take a few easy bosses.

Hmm...I'm reminded of the scene when Narl took the SO2 gang to that abandoned factory in that teleportation spot. Or, its the spot where everyone teleported to that forest place after Expel blew up. I also thought that those two lands in sky would probably be the Field of Intelligence >=p. Haven't played this in a while so I can't remember. It could be something else. Thanks for finding them, Pix. The other screenshots don't interest me at all so nothing to look forward to =/. What makes me happy is that the PA's are still there and you'll revisit alot of places from the other 3 games.

Last edited by chato; Sep 9, 2007 at 04:45 AM.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2007, 05:50 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2007, 04:50 PM #92 of 248
Better not happen >=/. That was one of its best points in the game. I mean it aint that bad either. But I would love it if Square Enix fixed a few bugs in the game and have an option where you choose to play the original or the tweaked version. I always loved using Claude's Head Splitter attack but when you level it up too much, you end up in another world where you are either going from the ceiling or all the way in the bottom and the only way to get out of it was for you to die OR wait for the other morons to kill off the boss. That glitch sucked but its not like you need the move throughout the whole game. I would usually have Ripper Blast/Mirror Slice or Twin Slash to take a few easy bosses.
I thought that was just a repeatable bug? I would think the playtesters would have noticed a primary attack power eventually becoming brokenly useless like that, even if it should be obsolete by that point. Then again, you'd also think QA would have noticed the translators forgot to swap out Rena's Tractor Beam voice clip for the English version.

Yeah, you'd never know I really am a fan of the game from all the griping I do. I give Tri-Ace a little leeway what with it being an early gen Playstation game, but suffice to say there's many reasons I'm happy to see this being sold as a remake. Especially with Squeenix's localization resources.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:10 PM #93 of 248
Quote:
To those who are praying for Star Ocean 4 to go multiplatform, here's a bit of bad news. Gaming magazine Famitsu just announced that Star Ocean 4 will be a PS3-exclusive title. Will this announcement be turned around on its head by Square Enix in the upcoming Tokyo Game Show?

While the details concerning Star Ocean 4 is a tad fuzzy at best, the screenshots in Famitsu revealed a few days ago should give gamers a clue as to what they can expect from this latest Square Enix title: spaceships, swords, and what seems to be moving statues, among others.

As for the PSP Star Ocean remakes, we just sniffed out a small but interesting detail regarding the remake of Tri-Ace's epic series: Production I.G., the anime studio behind beautifully-rendered hits such as Ghost in the Shell SAC, will be in charge of the new character designs as well as animated cutscenes, ensuring lots of eye candy in the handheld remake of earlier Star Ocean titles. It's going to help a lot in carrying out Tri-Ace's goal of making sure that the remakes feel like brand-new games.
*glad I have a ps3*

I hope the X-Bots refrain from talking shit cause you never know if Square Enix will change their mind >=p.

Originally Posted by monkey king
Then again, you'd also think QA would have noticed the translators forgot to swap out Rena's Tractor Beam voice clip for the English version.
Ha. I guess I wasn't wrong about that. I always thought the voice actress had a sore throat when she worked on that job but it makes sense I guess. I wonder if they'll let you choose between the dub and the japanese voices.

Last edited by chato; Sep 11, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:42 AM #94 of 248
lets pray that Star Ocean 4 doesn't go like Star Ocean 3...

DISC 1 :
Fayt : But what about the UPEEE THWEEE!!!!
Cliff : Oh for god sakes.... STFU
Fayt : But But... we're going to get into trouble! The government!!! The UPEE THWEE!!!
Cliff : If you don't shut up... Maria will bust a cap in your ass.

DISC 2 :
Cliff : Oh my god... they killed the UP3
Fayt : You bastards!!!!
Cliff : Hey now we can talk about meaningful things like why those Vendeeni were chasing you 20 hours ago...

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:21 PM #95 of 248
I only played SO3 once. There wasn't much replay value like SO2 =/. On a brighter note. No one really posted the voice actors for the characters so I'll do the honors and mention if anyone is familiar :

Star Ocean: First Departure

Ratix Farrence - Mamoru Miyano (Light Yagami - Death Note , Riku from KH)
Milly Kiliet - Hitomi Nabatame (Onimaru Miki - NFMiki, April - Coyote Ragtime Show)
Marvel Frozen - Houko Kuwashima (Clare - Claymore)
Fear Mell - Megumi Toyoguchi (Winry Rockbell - FMA )

Not bad... I like the seiyuus so far.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Claude C. Kenni - Daisuke Namikawa (Kei Kurono - Gantz, Koyuki - BECK)
Rena Lanford - Nana Mizuki (Hinata Hyuuga - Naruto) 100% cuteness? Woo!
Dias Flac - Tomokazu Sugita ( Sakata Gintoki - Gintama, Yuuichi Aizawa - Kanon TV) Awesome
Precis F. Neumann - Rie Kugimiya (Kagura - Gintama ) I'm not surprised ;p.

It's old news from May but I had to bring it up ;p .Does anyone object to these seiyuu's ? I'd say it's a perfect fit. If anyone should work on Ashton Anchors, it should be Tomokazu Seki (Stahn - ToD).

FELIPE NO

Last edited by chato; Sep 14, 2007 at 05:25 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2007, 05:37 PM #96 of 248
Square-Enix updated the site for Star Ocean :First Departure.

STAR OCEAN Portal Site Eternal Sphere

You can listen to 4 remixed tracks from the game by the bgm drop down selection. All four sounds promising and this is definately what I expected from Sakuraba. You'll also see some extra screenshots of the battle field. The thieves have returned! but everything else looks a little touched up that I notice. Still, I feel that everything in the background is recycled UNLESS they did something sweet for it. We can't judge it base on a screenshot =/. Stay alert for part 2 and 4 ,everyone!.

Last edited by chato; Oct 5, 2007 at 08:33 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:33 PM #97 of 248
An update finally sprouted today. Few things to know :

- December 27th will be it's released date. Of course it's going to be bundled with the psp. Not sure if it's a customized SO version..
- Character Profile is updated with Ronixis J. Kenny and Iria Silvestoli
- World profile has Earth, The Roak, Earth Federation along with the Continent and Kingdom.
- Anime cutscene preview =] >> You can catch a glimpse of how the battlefield is in action!.

Here's a pic of all screenshots I combined together. Enjoy.

Spoiler:

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:12 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 08:12 PM #98 of 248
That remake is looking hot. I wants. <3

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:24 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 09:24 PM #99 of 248
*whistles*

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:30 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 11:30 PM #100 of 248
And still nothing of a target release date for the US, is there?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)