Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:26 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2007, 04:26 PM #51 of 248
I wasn't thrilled with them chopping the deployable roster down to three people, myself. It's an oversimplification trend in RPGs I really despise, and sort of limits your options. You have more of a margin of error with more active party members, which is important if player control has to be relinquished to AI control. It stings less when the AI does something retarded as long as I have three other warm bodies active, y'know?

Hey, it'd be wild if they actually let you bring all 8 party members into battle in the remakes. The PSPs small screen might not be too accomodating, but a fellow can dream.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2007, 09:46 PM #52 of 248
Is it really necessary for you to whine about the PS3 in as many threads as possible?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:11 PM #53 of 248
Is it really necessary for you to whine about the PS3 in as many threads as possible?

2 threads doesn't count as "as many as possible"

I'm just not interested in spending a lot of money on one series... which is often the issue if a developer doesn't flat out say what system *insert game here* is going to be on.

But I'd like to tack on that it would be odd getting a Star Ocean game thats not at the end of or near the end of a consoles life cycle... because every other SO game has been released near the end of each of the consoles they blessed life spans.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:23 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 12:23 AM #54 of 248
2 threads doesn't count as "as many as possible"

I'm just not interested in spending a lot of money on one series... which is often the issue if a developer doesn't flat out say what system *insert game here* is going to be on.

But I'd like to tack on that it would be odd getting a Star Ocean game thats not at the end of or near the end of a consoles life cycle... because every other SO game has been released near the end of each of the consoles they blessed life spans.
Um, that's not true for either Star Ocean 2 or 3.

I'm also not sure how console ambiguity makes someone spend a lot of money on a series. Platform jumping perhaps... but if they just haven't said where the game is going, it's not like you have to buy up every game system in advance just to make sure.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:48 AM #55 of 248
thats not what I'm saying... if it is dropped on an over priced console you have to buy said console in order to play the game. But at this point the sales of the PS3 don't really make enough of a case for a game like this to be released on it (maybe in Japan but then again the Wii is outselling it there)

Maybe Microsoft will pay them off to make it a 360 exclusive... thats been happening a lot recently... lol

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:41 AM #56 of 248
I found this new image in a lj site...

I don't think I notice any difference in graphics but just the artwork so far. Claude and Rena look alright but Production I.G. could've done much better. So far SO1 is the only remake that I see. Maybe they polished up the sprites and hooked a few things up like they did with VP:Lenneth so that should be a good thing. I hope to see extras later.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:17 PM #57 of 248
They both feature full fledged voice acting, so that's a change for SO2 right there, since outside of a few cutscenes and battles there was no voice acting at all.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:42 PM #58 of 248
Ah right, forgot about that piece of info..

from 1up
Quote:
The latest issue of Japanese publication Famitsu reveal new details on Star Ocean 4, the latest iteration of Tri-Ace's epic RPG series.

The game will take place in the same universe featuring characters and races related to the previous titles. This time, players will helm an exploration spaceship so it seems you have a certain degree of freedom going to different places. "In the previous games, the story pretty much progressed due to a chain reaction of events. Your ship crashes and so you were forced to explore that planet, then get rescued later and so forth. But in SO4, we made it possible for players to travel and explore different parts of the universe." says assistant producer Hajime Kojima.

The developers also revealed the main character, Edge Maverick, and the heroine, Reimi. They are childhood friends and both crew member of the spaceship of an organization. The battle system will play differently but will be an evolved version from Star Ocean 3. This time, up to 4 members can join the battle.

Unfortunately, it is still a mystery as to which console the title is headed. Kojima only referred to it as "game console(s) that can display beautiful graphics." So is it the PS3 or 360 or both? Hopefully we'll find the answer in the upcoming Tokyo Game Show.
Nice to know about the 4 character battle. This is where the PS3 Owners and the Xbots begin to fight each other on which system runs best..

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 09:18 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2007, 08:18 PM 2 #59 of 248
Edge...Maverick.

And I didn't think it could get any worse than Fayt Leingod.

Confirmed hero name for Star Ocean 5: CoolDude McBadass.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:07 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 09:07 AM 1 #60 of 248
The announced heroine's name is actually a misprint. Reimi is actually the name of a supporting character. The heroine's name is Dee Cupsia.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:03 PM #61 of 248
Words do not express how hard i am for this game right now.

Just like the PS2 and SO3, this will probably decide what system I buy. But if it's going to be both, then i'm definetly gettin a 360, oh man.

As for the remakes, despite being on the PSblegh, I'll probably get them anyway. God damn, Rena looks CUTE.

How ya doing, buddy?
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:27 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 10:27 AM #62 of 248
Rena was my first video game crush. (Yes, this is sad) They made her even more adorable. Damnit.

Most amazing jew boots
Stuff goes here~
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:09 PM #63 of 248
I always thought she looked more cuter in her original form than her other two designs (I.G and EX). I just noticed that they shrunk the little moon accessory from her head. uh-oh =/.

Claude looks very original. Definately better than EX's. No green jacket. Thank god. After seeing this, im dying to see Ashton and Dias.

FELIPE NO
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:05 PM #64 of 248
The more i can see Rena's cute ears, the better :love:

I hope they upgrade the sprites a bit.

Christ Rena is adorable. Too adorable. Dear japan, bring on the pics, please!

Finally, I, too hope Ashton looks good. My namesake better not let me down. And his swords better not look arkward in the art this time...

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:47 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 09:47 PM #65 of 248
I don't think I notice any difference in graphics but just the artwork so far. Claude and Rena look alright but Production I.G. could've done much better. So far SO1 is the only remake that I see. Maybe they polished up the sprites and hooked a few things up like they did with VP:Lenneth so that should be a good thing. I hope to see extras later.
The graphics will definitely be the same, in style if nothing else. The preview screenshots of SO1 pretty much confirmed that they brought back SO2's sprite artist to do both games. Fine by me, I thought he or she did a pretty good job.

I think I preferred the original character art better, myself. Well, except for Celine. Possibly the worst costume design I have ever seen.

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:58 PM #66 of 248
These look okay but you can tell they are inspired from the lackluster anime. I'm a little worried about how Dias will turn out since I did not like his EX design much at all. :'(

How ya doing, buddy?
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:25 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 11:25 PM #67 of 248
As long as Ashton has more barrels. They better not take away his barrels. D:

Stuff goes here~
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:15 PM #68 of 248

Star Ocean 1

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:55 PM #69 of 248
usually character redesigns come out looking better than the originals... not so in this case....

I hear by name this : Till the End of Timeification

Because it looks like the character designer of Till the End of Time had his way with Star Ocean 1...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:35 PM #70 of 248
Haha, Star Ocean 1 had some pretty ugly art. This is definitely an improvement over it. I think most of Star Ocean 2's art was better though originally, I won't argue that. Milly had buttons for eyes it looked like, solid pink color; it was awkward. The ingame portraits were alright, but the official art for Star Ocean blew ass chunks.

Most amazing jew boots
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:16 PM #71 of 248
Yeah, these look completly fine to me, i don't see any reason for the complaints.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:47 PM #72 of 248
Whoa. Ratix does look different than his original counterpart. I agree with Ashton on this one. No disagreements here. Just that everyone is upset because they wanted a full remake . Any idea who does the voice acting for the games?

Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:36 PM #73 of 248
Oh trust me, I'm incredibly fucking upset that it's coming out to some shitty handheld that's only useful for homebrew and maybe 2 games, and not an awesome console like the 360 or even jus thte ps2. But you won't hear any of that from me because i am a cool and collected individual.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:50 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 05:50 PM #74 of 248
Well now that the handheld is getting these games that you guys are totally fapping over, wouldn't that make the handheld, oh I don't know, more useful and possibly worth owning? There are several PSP games out that I am pretty interested in, but I won't get them, or the PSP simply because I would rather play my games on my 40" widescreen than a handheld, but I don't consider the PSP useless.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:32 PM #75 of 248
I lay my interest more on SO1 since I never played it. And if I wanted to play SO2 that badly, I'll just convert the ps1 iso to eboot,etc (which was done 4months ago). All there's to it is voice acting, unknown extra features, and the anime cutscenes. There's lots psp games out there to get. The game is only great to have around as a collection to my psp library (4 games that is..;p ). Anyway, the psp was worth owning from the beginning.

Originally Posted by ashton
Oh trust me, I'm incredibly fucking upset that it's coming out to some shitty handheld that's only useful for homebrew and maybe 2 games, and not an awesome console like the 360 or even just the ps2. But you won't hear any of that from me because i am a cool and collected individual.
Too Late ;p. But seeing that many people would want to see this and that on Ps3/360, it's probably a sure thing that SO4 will be on both consoles. We'll just have to see which console gets the port *cough*ps3*cough*.

Last edited by chato; Sep 7, 2007 at 08:37 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)