Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy Fanboy Fellating Fighting Frenzy!

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:20 PM #51 of 304
That's scary...Okami was exactly the game I was thinking of when it came to Amano-like work in 3D. I can just tell from screenshots and such (since I haven't seen how it works in action).

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:21 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 01:21 PM #52 of 304
Now that you do mention Okami, yes, its probably easier to do it justice to Amano's style. BUT! Will it sell? After all people are more used to mainstream realistic or animeish graphics, Okami is one of those real gems, but was it a top seller compare to say, FF12? It's unlikely Square is 'creative' enough like Clover to wanna go down that route.

In other words it's a risk for them to try something "different" due to business reasonings. Which goes back to the whole milking issue... Again.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:30 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 03:30 PM #53 of 304
You're right, his translation of someone else's project didn't look like what I described. But what he did with original characters like Sora, the Bouncer, Tidus etc sure the fuck do. I'm not saying his work doesn't translate well to the games, I'm saying he's a bad artist. He has no eye for composition, he lacks the eye of a quality designer in that his outfit choices are patently ridiculous and look garish, and on top of that, the man hasn't made a truly original piece of work since he took over. The man isn't very talented. Sorry if that upsets your precious worldview.

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:33 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 01:33 PM #54 of 304
Finally some actual critisism. And I understand all your points, and agree with some.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna hate his work, but he does need to improve on alot, especially the actual character's looks, and some modifications and changes in the outfits is due.

Latly some of his work in KH2 has gone down, like the cover for Final Mix. Not a very good piece at all. The first Final Mix was much better.

How ya doing, buddy?

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:34 PM #55 of 304
Nomura's designs don't immediately strike me as being "anime". His is more lifelike and even contemporary...Stuff like the Tales series or practically any PC hentai game is much more the mainstream "anime" style.

I'm not saying "Amano or die", but I am saying I'm (like most people) are tired of what Nomura brings to the table and I'll settle for practically anything else at this point. What I will give him credit for is making his style as popular as it is, because I wouldn't have figured it after seeing his FF8 cast (which has more or less become his "model").

I have seen some art styles in various manga that literally make me want to hurl (fair warning to anyone who picks up Galaxy Angel Party...), but I don't think people are adverse to creative art styles like Okami or even the Super Paper Mario look. Maybe not "mainstream", but its' hard to deny their quality.

FELIPE NO
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:37 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 01:37 PM #56 of 304
I agree with you on that Square need more variety and diversity, and that Square should stop using Nomura so much. I rather just see Nomura stick to the KH series and let some new talent in for the looks for the FF series, or any other ones. I mean the piece of art in Last Remnants doesn't look bad at all.

Quote:
I don't think people are adverse to creative art styles like Okami or even the Super Paper Mario look. Maybe not "mainstream", but its' hard to deny their quality.
Unfortunatly for Clover, Okami didnt' do well in Japan. Meaning it sends the message to other companies to NOT let go of the mainstream graphics looks.

Most amazing jew boots

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:46 PM #57 of 304
That's scary...Okami was exactly the game I was thinking of when it came to Amano-like work in 3D. I can just tell from screenshots and such (since I haven't seen how it works in action).
It actually works very well. Sure there's some rought edges here and there, but the overall game was phenomenal. Most things in the game seem to be moving constantly, with some objects moving more than others. Oh, and the style lent itself to the creation of quirky/charming characters.

BTW, Okami apparently did ok over here. Apparently it was in Japan that it didn't do so hot.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 05:13 PM #58 of 304
Originally Posted by Denicalis
I'm saying he's a bad artist. He has no eye for composition, he lacks the eye of a quality designer in that his outfit choices are patently ridiculous and look garish, and on top of that, the man hasn't made a truly original piece of work since he took over. The man isn't very talented.
This is the only statement I want to comment on.

Nomura's style is, quite simply....a style. It's a style that's his own and no one elses. He likes to add a bunch of belts and zippers and bizzare hairstyles. It's as much a style as Amano's preference for blonde hair, polka dots and outlandish hair accessories, or Yoshida's preference for noseless faces, oldschool armor and a curious fetish for the buttock region.

Saying he's a "bad" artist doesn't really cut it as a fact, because there's really no wrong way to design a videogame character, unless said designs are uninspired or clearly ripped off from another medium (bald space marines and whatnot). Of course there's the argument that many of his creations resemble one another, but that's as much true for Toriyama and a billion other artists you can think of. When it comes to adapting characters that weren't his originally, I think he does a very acceptable job (all the disney characters of KH). Okay, so Zidane has a ponytail now. Wow.

You can choose to hate his stuff all you want, but in the end it's a matter of preference, not fact. If his stuff was really bad, SE would've given him the boot long ago, and he's been doing this for nearly a decade now. The real problem, at least for me, is that he's overused. I haven't gotten tired of his designs, but it would be nice for a bit more variety here and there like with FFXII.

And please don't make such illogical, fanboyish claims that all "his" games suck, because 99% of the time, all he does are the character designs and a few animations. It wasn't his fault if you hated FFVIII or The Bouncer. The only games he actually had a hand in making was KH I and II, and FFvsXIII.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Soldier; May 10, 2007 at 05:15 PM.
Jagged
Chocobo

Member 752

Level 9.15

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 05:10 AM #59 of 304
For all those saying it's going to like Ehrgeiz, The boumcer, and what not, Dream Factory isn't working on any of these games .

As far as the Art goes, I don't see what problem in these the designs are , pretty much everything the Characters had on in the original work is on them only in his style. Franky, while he may not be greatest artist ever or whatever, but he's decent designer. FFXIII's Main female is my favorite of his.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old May 12, 2007, 07:47 PM #60 of 304
Moving this out of RPG Forum because it is not an RPG. At least that's what they're telling people now. If this turns out to be some sort of RPG/fighting game hybrid then by all means move it back in here.

I wonder what their reason for putting this on the PSP is. I'd have figured a Final Fantasy fighting game would have a better audience on a console. But who knows how this game actually plays so I might be wrong.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 10:45 PM #61 of 304
From the sounds of it they're referring to it as an action/progression game, which will most likely have RPG type character advancement. Also if I had to guess it will probably also be a battle system like Crisis Core, and may even use the Crisis Core engine. All that would make sense for puting it on the PSP at least.

Garnet
Princess. ;d

Member 16676

Level 6.41

Dec 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 11:36 PM Local time: May 14, 2007, 10:36 PM #62 of 304
Im looking forward to this game. ;d FFIX is very underrated and does not get the recognition it deserves. I can't wait to play it. ;d I just hope that they make the voices fit the characters. That's the only thing that Im worried about.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 07:40 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 01:40 PM #63 of 304
I like how in the old days people here used to get heavily abused for not liking a game because of poor graphics, no matter what the ganeplay was like and now you're all sitting here bitching about the character's outfits and haircuts...

Fair enough, there's very little gameplay information to discuss at present but I think some of you kids could afford to be a little less shallow.

I imagine the thinking behind putting this out on PSP is the complete saturation of fighting games on other consoles. There must be thousands of 3d beat-em-ups on PS2 with little to choose between most of them. Even Tekken jumped the shark after the third one and I don't know about America or Japan but it's very rare to see a fighting game on PS2 anywhere near the best sellers list and they generally bomb in price soon after release. The last fighting game I bought was Super Dragonball Z and that was £16 on launch day, less than a Platinum title costs.

The PSP however has relatively few beat-em-ups thus far and the added bonus of easy to use internet options. Fighting games are only ever fun against a human opponent so if they sort out the online multiplayer aspect of this, it could prove to be a big hit.

FELIPE NO
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 08:49 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 05:49 PM #64 of 304
CD samplers from SE party. Wonderful World and Crisis Core in respective topics.

DISSIDIA -Final Fantasy- SPECIAL DISK
01. Overture to DISSIDIA: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QKBULUP4
13. (Secret): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y0HZ5H1U

Credit to NeoStrikeDramon from gamefaqs for the uploads

New characters confirmed!

Cecil, Kain Highwind and.....Sephiroth(meaning that Cloud is in this 100%)

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/787/787981p1.html

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Kairi Li; May 15, 2007 at 09:26 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 11:58 AM #65 of 304

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 12:04 PM #66 of 304
WoW, this game is going to kick serious ass.

So far it looks like we have;
Warrior of Light
Garland
Zidane
Kuja
Sephiroth
*Cloud

New Characters
Cecil
Kain Highwind

Kairi: Is it possible to have thoes files uploaded to GFF because my Megaupload profile has already been maxed out for the next few hours ^^;

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Slayer X; May 16, 2007 at 12:08 PM.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 12:48 PM #67 of 304
What's with the * beside Cloud?

No FFVI characters confirmed yet? How disappointing!

So this is a fighting game after all, or something similar? I always thought they'd make one eventually. It's too bad I can't play it.

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 12:53 PM #68 of 304
Thought someone might ask about the * next to Cloud. The * is because he has not been announced yet but;
1) He's about the most popular FF character
2) They seem to have a bad guy and a good guy from each of the chosen games so far

So the * means that he's speculated, but not official. As for further characters like thoes from FFVI, they're probably going to drag out the character announcements for some time so don't be disappointed just yet.

And finally this games is looking to be more of a KH game type, more then another Ehrgeiz or something of that sort for they are calling Dissidia a progressive action game.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 04:15 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 01:15 PM #69 of 304
If you're right about the combat system similar to KH, I'm sure as hell getting this. Duking it out with buddies through Wi Fi as various FF characters? Yeah.

All we need is more characters, like the ones from FF6, and some female ones. Personally I want Lightening from FF13 to be in this one too, but maybe as an unlockable.

And I liked what Nomura did with Kuja and Garland.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 05:28 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 04:28 PM #70 of 304
You want a character from a game you've never played to be in it. God you're dense.

This game is going to be a travesty. I'm calling it now.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 06:21 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 03:21 PM #71 of 304
Probably cause shes one of the few female that seems to work in this area. Celes and Terra would also be awesome. Tifa also works. Besides, Lightening looks awesome in combat, and this game is all about combat. Yeesh. I'm not gonna even expect much of a story mode, I just want to duke it out with a friend.

But the rest? Rinoa? Yuna? Garnet? Bleh.

And calling a game a travesty over a couple of scans. Yeah, I'm the dense one here. At least wait for some footage before slamming it. Its not meant to be an RPG, its a fighting game. If the combat mechanics sucks or something then at least you hae a reason for slamming it. Until then, keep it to yourself unless you have a reason.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kairi Li; May 16, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 06:57 PM #72 of 304
Denicalis: Just do what I do, play Ehrgeiz and then all FF compilation games seem amazing whether they are or arn't, you're just glad it's not Ehrgeiz.

As for Lightening being in Dissidia, it's possible. SE is puting the main character of FF Tactics A2 into the Tactics remake for the PSP as a hidden character, so you know that they're open to these sorts of things.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 09:17 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 08:17 PM #73 of 304
And calling a game a travesty over a couple of scans. Yeah, I'm the dense one here. At least wait for some footage before slamming it. Its not meant to be an RPG, its a fighting game. If the combat mechanics sucks or something then at least you hae a reason for slamming it. Until then, keep it to yourself unless you have a reason.
Fanboy/girl idiots like you are already all pissing yourselves over it. Reason enough to expect Ehrgeiz II: Electric Boogaloo. And taking RPG characters and making them into a fighting game is a travesty in and of itself. It's not like Smash Bros and Ness, where it was cartoony and quirky and fun. This is recreating epic battles between people like the Warrior of Light and Garland and putting it in a fighting game. It's simplistic and idiotic, and just another way for SE to train their newbiews on a piece of shit rehash game that shouldn't exist. I can't wait until this comes out and you bitch and cry because it wasn't quite pretty enough. Then again, Nomura did the designs, so how could you possibly not like it? I think anyone who gets excited about Espers that turn into motorcycles can automatically be disregarded as someone who doesn't really like RPGs. Go play FF: Road Rash and leave the big kids alone.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; May 16, 2007 at 09:25 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 09:27 PM #74 of 304
Holy man, take it easy, why are you puting so much effort into something that you don't care about? Not only that, but according to you HE'S a fanboy and you're trying to CHANGE his mind... who's the real fool?

Also earlier you were calling kairi dense for wanting a character from a game they haven't played, then what how dense are you for rating a game that doesn't even have a beta build, video footage, or a single preview. Hmmm... seems we have 2 against 1 here as to who the true dense one is, perhaps you should reconsider how you go about your business here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 09:41 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 08:41 PM #75 of 304
My god, Slayer X disagress with my opinion that fighting games should have nothing to do with classic RPGs and that Nomura should stop raping more talented people's work for his own paycheck. Whatever shall I do? I guess I'll have to stop right now and reconsider myself. The Nomura fan chump and some random forum anime kid disagree with me. The sheer horror of it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy Fanboy Fellating Fighting Frenzy!