Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate announced for PSP

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:50 PM #1 of 11
Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate announced for PSP

Famitsu scans here: Gaming Everything

From reliable translators on GAF (duckroll):

Quote:
Director: Hiroshi Minagawa
Game Design: Yasumi Matsuno
Character Design: Akihiko Yoshida, Tsubasa Masao
Music: Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata
Apparently is a remake of Tactics Ogre, but with at least some sort of new/extra content, as it's indicated that Matsuno (!) is writing new scenarios. Also new gameplay mechanics of some sort. It's also worth nothing that S-E registered a TO trademark in the US recently, so odds seem good that this might make it over.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:15 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2010, 09:15 PM #2 of 11
I hope to God it's not TOSE doing any of the handiwork. The last thing we need is them sucking back 7-11 nachos and diarrheaing all over yet another PSP remake, and we end up with all the sprites upside down and having an inverted colour palette.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:25 PM #3 of 11
It seeeeeems like there's enough higher-level involvement where we can hope that's not the case, but who knows.

I'm intrigued because I never really got into Tactics Ogre on the PS1, so assuming this comes out here and they don't totally fuck it up somehow, I would like to check it out.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:31 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2010, 09:31 PM #4 of 11
What's mentioned so far is extremely promising but also extremely light. I'm psyched to see Matsuno back but my faith in everyone who's not on that shortlist is pretty much non-existent.

It'd be nice if for once my skepticism was proven wrong though.

On that other note, you had it for a while but never played it?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:39 PM #5 of 11
I played it a bit, I just never really got into it. I don't think I really gave it much of a chance, and I think I got sidetracked very early on by doing too much of the training or whatever to level-up; it's been years and years, but I think I may just not have had a great grasp on the gameplay. Ogre Battle in general is something I've always had a hard time getting into, which is weird because I fucking love just about all the major players involved with them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:44 PM #6 of 11
Neat, another game to add to my hideous backlog of PSP RPGs. I like the Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle universe but have yet to finish a game in it for some reason. I was doing quite well in the GBA Tactics Ogre game at work but I forget if I had to get a new PC and lost the save or just got promoted and didn't have time any more for it, think it was the former, that plus getting distracted by the second GBA Fire Emblem game.

Thankfully, I never actually spent much time with the PSX version so I don't mind a portable remake, and really the only platform I actually manage progress in SRPGS is portables. Finished multiple portables in the time since I started Path of Radiance despite being a giant Fire Emblem fanboy (though the 3-d animation definitely do not do it for me the 2-d ones were awesome at portraying the weight and heft of units... generals sure as hell felt like tanks on the GBA not so much elsewhere (SNES versions I haven't played not withstanding)).

Hopefully this will have all the neat bonuses of a stronger hardware platform without any annoying omissions (Oh Lunar ATB gauge how I miss you so!).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day"
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls down of course."
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:45 PM #7 of 11
Direct feed images here: wƒ^ƒNƒeƒBƒNƒXƒIƒEƒK ‰^–½‚̗ցx15”N‚ÌŽž‚ðŒo‚Ä ‚‚¢‚É•œŠˆ - ƒtƒ@ƒ~’Ê.com

(It's a Famitsu link, I don't know why it keeps showing all fucked. For Famitsu links, you have to copy/paste it twice for it to work, you get a Forbidden error the first time but it always works the second time.)

Some translation work from FF Reunion (a Japanese S-E fansite) on the Famitsu article:

Quote:
- Even though it may look like the game's visuals haven't changed much, they have been improved over the original. They're trying to keep the Super Famicom-like look of the game.

- They'd actually be proud if people would say that it's the same as the original.

- You can change the angle to view the action from above.

- The height-based play and other basic elements of the original remain in tact.

- They're adding a number of new elements for the game parts and battle parts. The battles will be greatly changed.

- The game will have a variety of new skill-based gameplay features.

- There will be new classes.

- The battle maps character count has increased from the 10 vs 10 of the original to 12 on your side vs 18 on the enemy side, for a total of 30 characters on screen.

- This is not a "Tactics Ogre Perfect Version," but a "rebuilding" of Tactics Ogre. It doesn't fit within the framework of a "remake."

- You won't be able to use your strategies from the original for the sequel.

FELIPE NO
Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 21, 2010, 09:58 PM #8 of 11
Direct feed images here: wƒ^ƒNƒeƒBƒNƒXƒIƒEƒK ‰^–½‚̗ցx15”N‚ÌŽž‚ðŒo‚Ä ‚‚¢‚É•œŠˆ - ƒtƒ@ƒ~’Ê.com

(It's a Famitsu link, I don't know why it keeps showing all fucked. For Famitsu links, you have to copy/paste it twice for it to work, you get a Forbidden error the first time but it always works the second time.)

Some translation work from FF Reunion (a Japanese S-E fansite) on the Famitsu article:
I like the tastefully polished but not totally overhauled visuals of the battlefields. Also any excuse for more Akihiko Yoshida art, even if it's already existing art tossed into the PSP makes me happy. I still remember the first time I saw the add for Let Us Cling Together for PSX in EGM, nigh Amano level squee-age for that art.

Interesting that it's phrased as not a remake and as a sequel, though the latter could be a translation quirk or just simply lack of better term. Wonder if it's just new mechanics or how many new narrative elements will be included.

Even if they don't want to call it a remake, if it is the same narrative, hopefully it's the "definitive" version, so I don't have to play both because playing the "revised" version lacks some of the things that made the original significant. Hopefully any new gameplay elements deepen the game as opposed to dumb it down (further glaring at Lunar PSP).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day"
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls down of course."
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:25 PM #9 of 11
Just confirmed for US release:

Quote:
THE TRUE VISION IS FINALLY REALIZED; SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES
TACTICS OGRE: LET US CLING TOGETHER
Dream Team of Developers Reunites to Bring the Beloved Strategy RPG to the PSP System

LOS ANGELES (July 21, 2010) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today the upcoming release of TACTICS OGRE™: Let Us Cling Together™, a PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) system reinvention of the strategy RPG. The timing of the release will be announced at a future date.

TACTICS OGRE is one of the most beloved strategy RPG titles of all time, with the game being the only one to place in the Japanese gaming magazine Weekly Famitsu’s “Top 20 games voted by readers” for 14 years running.

Having also worked on such hit titles as FINAL FANTASY TACTICS®, VAGRANT STORY® and FINAL FANTASY® XII, key members of the original TACTICS OGRE development team have reformed to deliver the ultimate version of this definitive strategy RPG experience. Hiroshi Minagawa (Director), Akihiko Yoshida (Character Design), Yasumi Matsuno (Game Design), Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (Composers) are pleased to return to TACTICS OGRE and to revitalize their masterpiece for a new format and era – created with the simple idea – “how TACTICS OGRE would be if it was developed and played now.”

TACTICS OGRE: Let Us Cling Together, is being reborn from the ground up, with reworked visuals and effects, a re-arranged soundtrack by the original composers, new character growth mechanics and a new Wheel of Fortune system that adds even more replay value to the game.

For more information about TACTICS OGRE please visit the official website at http://www.tacticsogregame.com.

Story:

Long ago,
Power was everything.
It was a time called Xytegenia,
where metal, and evil that was enshrouded in darkness was in control.

Features:

• From the creators of FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, VAGRANT STORY and FINAL FANTASY XII. The original TACTICS OGRE development team reform to revitalize their iconic title.
• Tactical, turn-based battles are brought to life with stunning graphics, sounds and animation.
• New 3D maps that enhance the concept of height and improved battle engine, offering more compelling and realistic battles than ever before.
• Uncover the truth in a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal and heroism.
• Near-endless customization and hundreds of abilities to choose from.
• New characters not included in the original game
• New Battle Skill ability, adds to the range of play beyond Magic and Special abilities
• New graphics, music, gameplay and much more make this the definitive version of TACTICS OGRE.
• New and improved visuals that create a TACTICS OGRE experience with more detail than ever before.
• Re-arranged soundtrack from the original composers including 15 new compositions.

About Square Enix, Inc.
Square Enix, Inc. is a U.S. based wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd., a holding company leading Square Enix Group. Square Enix, Inc. publishes and distributes entertainment content under the Square Enix Group’s internationally renowned brands such as Square Enix, Eidos and Taito in the Americas. The Square Enix Group includes a global network of leading development studios located in North America, Europe and Japan. The Group boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 97 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 54 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 35 million units worldwide; and other well-established products and services.

More information on Square Enix, Inc. can be found at SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS.

DRAGON QUEST, FINAL FANTASY, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are registered trademarks of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd. in the United States and/or other countries. TACTICS OGRE and VAGRANT STORY are registered trademarks or trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd. Eidos and Tomb Raider are registered trademarks of Square Enix, Ltd. Taito is a registered trademark of Taito Corp. “PlayStation” and “PSP” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:11 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2010, 10:11 PM #10 of 11
- You won't be able to use your strategies from the original for the sequel.
What I'm reading here is "Archers are no longer extreme bullshit"

This is good.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:41 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2010, 05:41 PM #11 of 11
I'm a fan of these kind of games and my limited play of a Tactics Ogre game was fun so this is definitely on my 'to watch' list.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate announced for PSP