Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] The Force is with... R-Type Tactics?!!

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 26, 2007, 04:23 AM Local time: May 26, 2007, 02:23 AM #1 of 14
The Force is with... R-Type Tactics?!!

(Thanks to Kairyu for the picture uploads in lieu of my comp freezes)

While R-Type: Final still remains the last traditional R-Type game, Irem manages to sneak in a spin-off in the form of R-Type Tactics. Considering how much backstory was established and how much of R-Type content itself was created/enhanced just for R-Type: Final, a game like this might as well have been an inevitability for Irem. I don't think you can just sit on 50 different R-Series ship varieties and several sub-weapons (Bits/Forces) and not do anything with it.

I think most R-Type fans will agree: I'm glad Irem obviously feels the sameway.

SCREENSHOTS!

Being on the PSP, it isn't quite to the graphical level of Gradius V. These screenshots feature several ideas that were only hinted at in much of R-Type: Final (so playing that game might give you a mental picture on the type of gameplay Irem might be going for). For example, the intro to R-Type: Final hits a climax with an entire fleet of R-Series ships firing their Wave Cannons into the distance. Here we see several ships firing Blue and Red lens beams at their enemies. Obviously the player doing this is dumb, who uses Reflective/Blue Lens out in the open? Fail.

I mean, yeah, pretty exciting stuff.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Rotorblade; May 26, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 04:40 AM Local time: May 25, 2007, 11:40 PM #2 of 14
Irem is nuts or read too many fan letters, maybe both. In any case I'm interested in seeing what this game is like but let's not forget most US players aren't interested in tactical rpgs. Let alone a shmup themed tactical rpg!
So, I really doubt we will get to see it in english.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 26, 2007, 04:48 AM Local time: May 26, 2007, 02:48 AM #3 of 14
Don't you have shit to be trading and leveling up, Kai? ... Argh, you're right, I'll agree with you as much as it pains me to do so... well, not really. To the point, I guess I would say based off this that there'd better be more to it than what the screenshots convey. There's some good ideas, but that's mostly because of my familiarity with the series. The actual game itself needs something special, and I can accept that right now, it's just a game announcement of a series I like with a few basic screens.

The potential in my head and my respect for the series does have me with some excitement.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 05:10 AM Local time: May 26, 2007, 12:10 AM #4 of 14
Oh... maybe ._.
Sorry for bursting your R-type bubble like that. I'm just having a hard time accepting a classic shmup not actually being a shmup.

And yes, it's got potential and the ships to back it up. Like I told you earlier I think I'll keep a eye on this game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 08:16 AM Local time: May 26, 2007, 02:16 PM #5 of 14
I never really liked R-Type. Don't get me wrong, I love shoot 'em ups (hate the term "shmups" btw)! But R-Type just never appealed to me as, say Gradius did.

Mixing two completely different genres like this looks crazy enough to work though. I'll definitely keep an (shoot it in the) eye out for this one.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Sword Familiar; May 26, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 11:13 AM Local time: May 26, 2007, 10:13 AM #6 of 14
Very interesting concept. Since the PSP system price drop I'm eventually going to get one - if this hits our shores I'm going to try this title out.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2007, 05:30 PM #7 of 14
This game is proof that if you send a ranting 20-page email to your favorite game developer, someone JUST MIGHT read it and actually make the game you described.

Next week's announcement: Grand Theft Auto: Soul Society.

FELIPE NO
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:13 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 06:13 PM #8 of 14
I can't for the life of me figure out any strategy to this game besides move right towards the enemy and when you get close enough shoot. I'm only on the 2nd stage. I've played it about 20 times now and the result is always the same. I've been waiting for guides to go up on Gamefaqs so that hopefully I can figure out what it is that I'm supposed to be doing to use strategic elements. Honestly, I don't see that the CPU is doing anything special, except moving left and shooting at me when I get close enough. I do know that it keeps using that cheap 1-shot kill beam. I've tried to use that also but the CPU is much better at it than I am.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:26 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 05:26 PM #9 of 14
I can't for the life of me figure out any strategy to this game besides move right towards the enemy and when you get close enough shoot. I'm only on the 2nd stage. I've played it about 20 times now and the result is always the same. I've been waiting for guides to go up on Gamefaqs so that hopefully I can figure out what it is that I'm supposed to be doing to use strategic elements. Honestly, I don't see that the CPU is doing anything special, except moving left and shooting at me when I get close enough. I do know that it keeps using that cheap 1-shot kill beam. I've tried to use that also but the CPU is much better at it than I am.
You're trolling, right? Because, I mean... you're either sucking at the game or at trolling and it can't be both.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 08:40 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 07:40 PM #10 of 14
You... died in R-Type?

How?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2008, 02:15 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 01:15 AM #11 of 14
It's very possible to lose in some of the later battles, but stage 2 is both ridiculously easy and you've only got some very basic units with an enemy force that's not any better off.

Even if you're an idiot, you should be able to brute force your way through the stage. Use the charge beam, let the enemies come to you, attach your forces. Not exactly rocket science here.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2008, 04:49 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 03:49 PM #12 of 14
What can I say, I'm not a strategy gamer... But, I'm sure I'm missing some basic things that might be obvious. I'm going to read the manual thoroughly and I saw that they now have a walk-through posted at Gamefaqs and I already learned that I can repair damaged ships and several other things that should come in handy. I really would like to see more of the game, since I really enjoy the setting, graphics, and sound, so I'm going to give it another go and see if I can get into a groove.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2008, 04:59 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 03:59 PM #13 of 14
One of the primary things you should be doing is disrupting the enemy's charge and protecting your own. Don't get hit with charge resets, as those beams are some of your best consistent damage dealers (along with some of those crazy missles)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 08:57 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2008, 02:57 PM #14 of 14
'Sup PAL release date?

Originally Posted by Amazon.co.uk
R-Type Tactics (PSP) (2008) (Sony PSP)
Buy new: £29.99 £17.99
You save: £12.00 (40%)
Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 12 Sep 2008.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] The Force is with... R-Type Tactics?!!