Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

63 year old woman 7 months pregnant

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 07:38 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 01:38 PM #1 of 24
63 year old woman 7 months pregnant

Source.

Originally Posted by The BBC
Child psychiatrist Patricia Rashbrook, of East Sussex, flew to Rome last October for IVF by Severino Antinori, according to the Sun newspaper.

She is now reported to be seven months' pregnant with her third child.

In a joint statement with her husband, John Farrant, she said the decision had not been taken lightly.
This woman is set to become Britain's oldest mother in a couple of months. She comes from Lewes, the town I live in and my mum taught her other kids, aged 23 and 26 now.

She says the decision was not taken lightly but I personally think having a baby that old is pretty cruel to the kid. She'll be 81 on his 18th birthday (Assuming she lives that long).

At present there is no law (In Britain at any rate) governing a maximum age for receiving IVF treatment. Do you think that having kids this old is wrong and do you think there should be an age cap on receiving fertilty treatment?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 07:58 AM #2 of 24
o.O' Uh... nature via unnatural. Gee some people still cease to astonish me. On one hand, I am all for birth control, but this is ridiclious (ever seen that damn show where one woman is having like her 16th kid or something?) and allowing women to still have a child after a supposed menopausal age is just wrong as well. :\

But then again... even without IVF treatment, miracles somehow do happen.

How ya doing, buddy?
loyalist
Carob Nut

Member 1217

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 08:29 AM #3 of 24
I do think there is are serious ethical questions to consider here. Firstly, what's the science on having children post-menopause? Could there be a higher risk for sertain disorders? Secondly, there's the simplequestion ofr whether the mother is abl;e to keep up with the times and keep up with her kid.

Most amazing jew boots
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 08:32 AM #4 of 24
It takes so much energy to be a good parent. I can't imagine someone that age having enough stamina to be able to physically keep up with a child. I don't know...maybe she's in really good shape for her age, but still.

Also, how well would a person that much older than their kid be able to relate to him or her? I know that grandparents raise children all the time, but I've always thought that kind of situation isn't ideal.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 11:24 AM #5 of 24
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
It takes so much energy to be a good parent. I can't imagine someone that age having enough stamina to be able to physically keep up with a child. I don't know...maybe she's in really good shape for her age, but still.

Also, how well would a person that much older than their kid be able to relate to him or her? I know that grandparents raise children all the time, but I've always thought that kind of situation isn't ideal.
I have a friend whose parents abandoned him when he was born, so his great-grandparents started taking care of him. I think they are in their 80's or 90's now and he's about 20, so it is possible to raise a kid and have it be semi-normal, but there is a definite age barrier and he once lost his job and his car priviledges for 5 months because he wouldn't cut his hair.

If this is going to be their first child, then I can see why they would want to do it (in order to pass along the blood line, feel ready to become parents, etc.), but I agree with you that it isn't ideal. There's so many things to consider such as birth defects, what would happen to the kid if both parents died, how detrimental is a hyper-active toddler going to be to their health, and other factors about how the child would relate socially with the other kids.

If she can handle it then congratulations, but it just seems very risky and there are kids around the world they could have adopted (to avoid the health risks), unless Italy has some strange adoption laws.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 11:35 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 12:35 PM #6 of 24
It is interesting to note that this is a child psychologist as well. Maybe part of the reason was to observe the very fact of this sort of situation, although I somewhat doubt that was high on her priority list of considerations.
Additionally, I think because of her profession, she is more unique than just any old hag who attempts to get a kid.

What is surprising is that she is able to carry a child at all. I figured at that age certain hormonal issues would discourage childbearing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 12:15 PM #7 of 24
I'm of the opinion that as long as there is no known health risk to the child, then it should be perfectly legal.

However, thats entirely different from whether I agree with it from an ethical standpoint. In this case, I do not. She is simply too old and won't be able to do what many younger parents do. It's just not the greatest thing in the world, and they should instead be waiting for grandchildren from their other kids.

FELIPE NO
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 01:49 PM #8 of 24
I don't think there should be any change to whatever age cap may already exist for IVF, if one does exist. How many people her age want something like that done, anyway? Granted, I do think women at that age have some possible risks associated with pregnancy and all that entails, and that anyone in this age group wanting to do this should strongly consider these factors, but it sounds to me like she (as well as the doctor who did the procedure) has taken all that into account, and is still deemed able for such a task. So why not?

Of what pictures or video I saw, she looks pretty healthy for 63. Possibly more healthy than people several years younger than her.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Josiah; May 4, 2006 at 01:52 PM.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:19 PM #9 of 24
Originally Posted by loyalist
Firstly, what's the science on having children post-menopause?
I was under the impression that post-menopause, you don't have the ability to even GET pregnant anymore. Thus the whole "biological clock."

Originally Posted by Dictionary.com: MENOPAUSE
The period marked by the natural and permanent cessation of menstruation, occurring usually between the ages of 45 and 55.
Age 63 and she still hasn't hit menopause?

Maybe someone could explain the biology to me here. Am I missing something??

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:39 PM #10 of 24
She had hit menopause. With massive amounts of hormone therapy you can kickstart/fool a post menopausal woman's body into getting pregnant. This is what happened.

I haven't heard of any natural occurances of post menopausal women getting pregnant.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 07:34 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 01:34 PM #11 of 24
Having seen a few more news stories about this, it seems we do have an age cap for IVF treatment in England of 50. The woman went to an Italian scientist for the treatment and was treated in an "unnamed former soviet state".

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:47 PM #12 of 24
Originally Posted by Shin
...an "unnamed former soviet state".

ROFL.

There seem to be serious ethical issues with most procedures you need to leave the US or England to have done. It's not anyone's jurisdiction at that point, however, making the whole discussion sorta pointless.

It is disgusting, though.

Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:26 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 03:26 PM #13 of 24
It is posable to have kids after the suposed years that a woman is suposed to have menopause. For example my grandma didn't start going though it until she got sick which was in her mid to late 60s. It's posable because of an high hormone level. If a woman has alot of estregine (sp?) she won't hit menopause for a while. But the high hormone levels do not come without their problems like diffrent types of cancer and other medical problems.

Personaly I don't see what's so wrong about this...it was her choice to have a child at her age...and it should be just that, her choice. If she can think that she can rase a kid well into her 80s then more power to her. Not to mention that she's a child psycologist so she should know how to take care of the kid....

PUG1911

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:30 PM #14 of 24
It absolutely should be her choice. Problem is, she probably made a poor choice with that freedom. She can *think* that she'll be just as capable a mother as a 30 year old all she wants, doesn't make it true though. A lot of people have kids for selfish reasons, they just want one, regardless of how poorly they'll be able to see to it's needs. Sure they have that option, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't at least shake their heads about such a poor decision. Having freedom to make a choice doesn't mean that the choice is 'right' just because you felt like doing a thing.

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 09:32 PM #15 of 24
Originally Posted by PUG1911
It absolutely should be her choice. Problem is, she probably made a poor choice with that freedom. She can *think* that she'll be just as capable a mother as a 30 year old all she wants, doesn't make it true though. A lot of people have kids for selfish reasons, they just want one, regardless of how poorly they'll be able to see to it's needs. Sure they have that option, but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't at least shake their heads about such a poor decision. Having freedom to make a choice doesn't mean that the choice is 'right' just because you felt like doing a thing.
I have a friend who wanted to have a baby when she was 15 or 16 so she could marry the father and be with him for the rest of her life. Luckily, he was hundreds of miles away so she couldn't reach him. Now, she's almost 20 and last month became a mother. I do agree about some choices being unwise, but the child psychology thing does come into play. However, how does it work when it becomes a teen and she's in her 70's?

I am cheering her on, but this could get either very ugly or very interesting. Maybe both.

Most amazing jew boots

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Luminaire
Sparkle and Shine

Member 6102

Level 7.02

May 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 10:49 PM #16 of 24
All I want to know is how this woman's 63-year-old body is going to stand up to the actual birthing process. Unless they just cut her open and do a c-section, actually . . .

But man. One has to wonder why she even wanted another child at this age in the first place -- she already has two! And what if she dies in her seventies or eighties? Can you imagine losing your mother -- of natural causes -- at such a young age?

What worries me most is the health conditions of the newborn. It seems a little cruel to take that much of a risk. If she wanted another child, why didn't she just adopt and give some poor orphan a good home? It just boggles my mind.

Prepare the PLANET SMASHAA
AC1
BITCHES LOVE SMILEY FACES

Member 2165

Level 8.51

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 10:50 PM #17 of 24
Her breast milk is so expired.

PUG1911

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:38 AM #18 of 24
Originally Posted by Luminaire
If she wanted another child, why didn't she just adopt and give some poor orphan a good home? It just boggles my mind.
Adoption agencies/laws may prevent her from adopting due to her advanced age due. Just guessing though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:33 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 12:33 PM #19 of 24
I think the (existing) age cap of 50 is reasonable. It sounds like this issue has already been discussed an resolved in reasonable countries.

Most amazing jew boots
Arc Impulse
Syklis Green

Member 473

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 11:02 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 11:02 PM #20 of 24
Originally Posted by Luminaire
But man. One has to wonder why she even wanted another child at this age in the first place -- she already has two! And what if she dies in her seventies or eighties? Can you imagine losing your mother -- of natural causes -- at such a young age?
She was too nice to her other kids, she wanted to have a last chance at traumatizing one of her kids for life.

Shit, this is so fucked up.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 03:51 AM #21 of 24
Speaking of dumb broads having children at inappropriate ages. Although the girl in this one doesn't need science to knock her up, she DOES smoke and drink, at age 11, while very pregnant, and doesn't feel that it will affect her pregnancy. She didn't have an abortion because she doesn't believe in it.* Her mother, in spite of all logic, is proud of her daughter. Not that it surprises me that she would be.

* Tooth fairy still up for grabs.

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 03:02 PM #22 of 24
I can only imagine the kid's prom, if the mother lives that long, everyone is gonna thing that she is a grand parent.

NaklsonofNakkl
Th3 0m3n

Member 6922

Level 10.17

May 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 11:06 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 08:06 PM #23 of 24
Well, what i worry about is her surving the labor...i mean, at just a regular 25-40yr has enough pain to go threw to have a child, if she gives birth naturally it will be hard on her health...i although assume she will just have a sea-section but still, it is a concerning thing, i mean especially what happens when both parents pass away before the child is an adult? I mean, that will be hard for the child to be without parents at a young age like 16-18 (assuming they even live that long). I think this was a bad choice, but it is her choice and if she wants to do this then i am all for her, i just hope she realizes what she is doing...

FELIPE NO

Come, Dance the Dance of Love!
Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 10:36 PM #24 of 24
Oh well, the issue seems largely closed really, as not much is going to happen. Truth being said, issues like that 11 year old pregnancy disturb me much, much more than this 63 year old. The 63 year old has the experience and knowledge to make what decisions they want, that 11 year old on the other hand is too stupid to do so, and her parents are obviously not helping.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > 63 year old woman 7 months pregnant