Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Making someone guilty until proven innocent
is a dangerous move 18 69.23%
should be used only for dangerous criminals 3 11.54%
is necessary in our world 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

guilty until proven innocent...

Janus X
Stupid Frog

Member 31258

Level 6.95

Jul 2008

Old Aug 5, 2008, 01:05 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 12:05 PM #1 of 10
guilty until proven innocent...

For centuries, our judiciary system has stated than someone is innoncent until proven guilty. (Un?) fortunately, this is changing slowly in Canada.

It started at the end of the 90s, when the bikers wars were at an all time high in Quebec. Bloc QUébécois intiated a bill (and it passed) that stated that criminal gangs now had to prove that they were not guilty, instead of the usual accusation proving their guilt.

However, the Conservative had extended it to juvenile crime. In other words, the teen's lawyer would have to prove that his client did not deserve an adult's sentence. The decision (see link provided) was recently overtuned by the Supreme court

SO, is reversing the innocent-until-proven-guilty tradition a dangerous move or a good one?

Carnet | Politique fédérale | Justice et jeunesse

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 01:25 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 08:25 PM #2 of 10
I don't understand the connection between the third paragraph and the rest of your post, and the article that you linked does not help (because it is in French; did you know?). Lawyers have to prove that the client is innocent, or they have to prove that the client deserves a more lenient sentence? Those things aren't the same (I think (?)).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Janus X
Stupid Frog

Member 31258

Level 6.95

Jul 2008

Old Aug 5, 2008, 02:03 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 01:03 PM #3 of 10
the 3rd paragraph was about our government extending the reversal of the guilt to teens, and it was overturned.

Canada is moving towards a system where the accused has to prove his innocence (and yes, prove that he deserves a more lenient sentence). Usually, it's the accusation that has to prove the person's guilt

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 02:16 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 01:16 PM #4 of 10
This isn't about whether people should be considered guilty or innocent by default in general, but about where the burden of proof lies during bail hearings. In cases involving gun-related crime, the defence needs to show their client is not violent in order to have bail approved. It has nothing to do with a greater right to presumption of innocence. It's really pretty harmless.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:11 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2008, 11:11 PM #5 of 10
Quote:
Lawyers have to prove that the client is innocent,
Actually, they don't have to prove they're innocent, just that they're not guilty.

I was speaking idiomatically.
joshuak
Carob Nut

Member 32079

Level 4.68

Oct 2008

Old Nov 1, 2008, 08:43 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2008, 06:43 PM #6 of 10
I believe that this should only be used for criminals who have overwhelming evidence against them. Otherwise, many more people who don't deserve jail sentences could go to prison.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2008, 01:17 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2008, 02:17 PM #7 of 10
If there is overwhelming evidence, then it is not a case of guilty until proven innocent - you are merely reaffirming the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

I think shifting to a "Guilty until proven innocent" is a bad thing though - it puts the burden of proof on the accused, who very often has less resources than the accuser.

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Poopsie
Banned

Member 32253

Level 2.97

Nov 2008

Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:58 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 05:58 PM #8 of 10
Quote:
However, the Conservative had extended it to juvenile crime. In other words, the teen's lawyer would have to prove that his client did not deserve an adult's sentence. The decision (see link provided) was recently overtuned by the Supreme court
Isn't that based on the offense? For example, as a Class 1 Misdemeanor, a DUI can be termed extreme or simply used against the criminal in a state of law. I was arrested on a Class 1 earlier this year for blowing a .116. I think my bond was like $1,000, but it's hefty enough because I can't find a job right now. But yeah, as a first time offense, they usually look at it differently than they would compared to minor consumption.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Traveller87
UNDER PROBATION

Member 26124

Level 9.15

Nov 2007

Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:45 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2008, 07:45 PM #9 of 10
Sure, let's go right ahead and introduce that! Let the totalitarianism begin!

A person should NEVER have to prove their innocence, as there are many reasons they could get accused of a crime. If you set it up that way, you are giving the government the power to arrest anyone. And how would you control for the fact that some people have more financial means of proving their innocence (aka money, a good lawyer), while others don't?

NO.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:48 PM #10 of 10
Actually, they don't have to prove they're innocent, just that they're not guilty.
which goes as far as there is a possibility that the individual may not have done said crime. Of course, the Judge as the right to decide how remote that possibility can be.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > guilty until proven innocent...