Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Dealing" With Casual Piracy

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:57 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 08:57 PM #26 of 33
Why do you care what they do though?

Obviously, and this can't be said enough, it works for musicians because they have options. Many choose to stick with the Big Four despite all the things that everyone says are big and bad.

So if musicians keep on keepin' on, and you admit that filesharers are committing crimes, then what do you care if the RIAA decides to go after those people or not?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Ridan Krad
And All Eyes Fix on the Death of Tomorrow

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 01:58 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 11:58 PM #27 of 33
I don't care, per se. It's their business and they can run it as they see fit. It just doesn't seem like all their efforts are accomplishing much, besides providing a constructive defense of their copyrights. That said, the reason for my interest in this subject, I suppose, is that I wonder how this will be resolved (or if it even will be). Will copyright laws be redefined, the internet regulated, or will things continue merrily on as they have been? Basically, I find the RIAA's dilemma interesting, because I'm not sure how it can really be solved.

Most amazing jew boots
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:03 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 06:03 PM #28 of 33
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
So, what, musicians are the only people who can't decide how they get paid?
Musicians certainly can, but if they get cunty about it, we'll all know.

I think extant and future players in the music industry should fundamentally operate like buskers. The jury's still out on whether or not this would jeopardise the ability of artists to earn a living from art, and I daresay it'll rule in my favour. Tomorrow's labels will just have to focus hard on concert revenue (provided tomorrow's rockers aren't labels unto themselves).

We pay top dollar for a genuine painting and peanuts for a poster of Guernica. The industry solicitors should let poster duplication slide.

Quote:
So you go in to work today. Your boss calls you in, rips up your employment contract, and tells you that you are going to get paid what he feels like paying you. He's not going to tell you why he's paying that much, he's not going to tell you what he's going to pay you tomorrow.
Sounds like something we've got already.

Originally Posted by LeHah
You don't understand the [blah blah flop mah cock about]...

On top of that, sales don't mean anything to a composer. Time and time again, a score doesn't ever get a release. Franz Waxman's score to the 1954 movie The Silver Chalice got released last month; do you think that he suddenly didn't get any work ever again because they didn't release this score for 53 years?
Lol gday reading comprehension o_].

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Nov 16, 2007 at 03:06 AM.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:32 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 09:32 AM #29 of 33
Quote:
Welcome to America. :P

I also haven't seen any National Days of Protest regarding the RIAA.

I was speaking idiomatically.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:59 PM 1 #30 of 33
Lol gday reading comprehension o_].
If you're going to ask a question only to give an empty, worthless post as a reaction, stop opening your gob. Passive-aggressive trolling isn't taken kindly by people who actually bring something to the table.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:55 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2007, 01:55 PM 1 #31 of 33
If you'd put it back in your pants, you might realise we're not disagreeing on that point. Album sales are irrelevant to a composer's ability to get paid or re-employed.

Have you always been like this?

FELIPE NO
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > "Dealing" With Casual Piracy