Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

GUN DEBATE

A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:52 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 11:52 PM #101 of 125
Are you really so certain he isn't? Who's to say he hadn't been just waiting for an opportunity where he could likely have it called legally justifiable to off someone.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!

Last edited by A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS; Jul 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:26 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 12:26 AM #102 of 125
Because it doesn't make sense with what we know about the man, obviously.

Stop grasping at straws here. The simple fact of the matter is this: Joe Horn was found to have reasonably believed that his life was in danger when he shot these two men, therefore no charges were brought against him.

End of discussion really.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:35 AM #103 of 125
This is obviously false, because if it were true, then it meant that for all intents and purposes, you're saying that Joe Horn is a sociopath who kills people simply because he has the ability to do so.
Oh, I'm sorry, he didn't kill them for no reason.

He killed them as an unfortunate and uncontrollable side effect of his crippling Texan Fuckwad Syndrome. Let us all pray that this poor individual may be cured of his affliction.

FELIPE NO
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:47 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 09:47 PM #104 of 125
If you take the situation and remove the gun from the equation, it basically plays out like this:

Old man sees neighbor's house being robbed, calls police, stays in his house, watches thieves leave on foot. Police arrive, are told which way the thieves exited scene of crime, catch criminals and return stolen items. No one is shot and killed unless absolutely necessary, and if so, said shooting and killing is performed by the police who are legally entrusted with the judgment to know when to shoot and kill people.

Most amazing jew boots
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:55 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 10:55 PM #105 of 125
Well, to be fair, Texas' Castle Doctrine means that individuals are legally entrusted to shoot and kill people that are on their property illegally.

So the question is really mainly ethical, as legally he really should have been indicted.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 01:40 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 01:40 AM #106 of 125
Quote:
So the question is really mainly ethical, as legally he really should have been indicted.
Based on what? The grand jury interpreted the law far differently than you and many of the other liberal anti-gun nuts in this thread have. Precedent has been set, so throw this 'should have' business out the window.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 01:52 AM 2 #107 of 125
I just want to remind everyone that the gentleman calling people "nuts" is doing his best to defend the action of fatally shooting nonthreatening petty thieves in the back.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 02:10 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 01:10 AM #108 of 125
As a member of the militia, which is everybody depending on how you interpret that, an assault rifle is the best thing you have for use in militia duties short of improvised explosives. The only problem is that the well regulated militia aspect isn't regulated at all and nobody receives any mandatory training in asymmetric warfare and responsible weapons storage.
It's a problematic issue, no doubt. I guess, for me, I just don't see the point in keeping an AK under your pillow. I'm not saying take the guns, I'm just saying there are, you know, limits to what we should believe is actually going to be used for hunting and target practice.

If a kid gets caught with a playboy, we're not really going to believe he was reading the article on the best cigars north of Cuba, are we?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 02:13 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 02:13 AM #109 of 125
Quote:
just want to remind everyone that the gentleman calling people "nuts" is doing his best to defend the action of fatally shooting nonthreatening petty thieves in the back.
The action needs no defense; it's been defended and upheld.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 02:15 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 01:15 AM #110 of 125
The action needs no defense; it's been defended and upheld.
The law isn't always correct, NP. I can't believe that someone with your belief system concerning keeping an armed militia just in case the government truly goes too far would be so upset about people daring to question the validity of a decision.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 02:32 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 02:32 AM #111 of 125
You can question it, but at the end of the day -- the grand jury determined that this guy didn't do anything worthy of prosecution, which in my book is just fine. If they had decided that he did in fact needed to be prosecuted, I would've been cool with that, too.

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 02:37 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 01:37 AM #112 of 125
You can question it, but at the end of the day -- the grand jury determined that this guy didn't do anything worthy of prosecution, which in my book is just fine. If they had decided that he did in fact needed to be prosecuted, I would've been cool with that, too.
No, I get that you're a real the law is the law guy. I grasp that. I'm just curious as to why it seems to upset you so much when people question that. Is it just a matter of not wanting people to think they know better than the experts? Because I can get behind that.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 02:44 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 02:44 AM #113 of 125
I just look at it like - the grand jury didn't indict him, therefore it's not that big of a deal to me anymore. In general principle, would I have done the same thing he did? Probably not, but I do think the guy had a reasonable belief that he was in some sort of danger and he went and did work. The grand jury felt the same way and to me that's the end of it. You wanna change the law after the fact? We have a process for that, but as it stands right now, it doesn't bother me that the guy wasn't prosecuted nor do I see it as an argument against civillian gun ownership.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 03:00 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 03:00 AM #114 of 125
In general principle, would I have done the same thing he did? Probably not, but I do think the guy had a reasonable belief that he was in some sort of danger and he went and did work.
Why, NP, I always thought you were a cynic. You big softie, you.

This changes everything. I think a group hug is in order.

There is at least one thing that's true, though: trying to judge his frame of mind at the time is pretty much impossible. We can only speculate. And since that job has already been taken, we're just the Monday morning quarterbacks.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 05:42 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 05:42 AM #115 of 125
It's a problematic issue, no doubt. I guess, for me, I just don't see the point in keeping an AK under your pillow. I'm not saying take the guns, I'm just saying there are, you know, limits to what we should believe is actually going to be used for hunting and target practice.
A lot of people actually do use AR15s and the civilian AK47 for hunting and target practice. You're not going to perforate a deer or anything, but the bullets are gonna be there, and you don't need to worry about keeping a .50 cal pistol in bear country. They're also very useful when hunting cougars.

What's ridiculous are the people who thing they need an assault rifle for self-defense, since that's really overkill, so much to the point in fact where an assault rifle isn't even close to the best choice. Shotguns sound scary without even needing to be fired, and handguns can be easily used indoors. Buckshot and pistol ammo don't have a penetration issue, either, so there's less danger of hurting your neighbors. Plus you can't exactly keep a rifle in a drawer or under a pillow.

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 09:48 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 03:48 PM #116 of 125
If you're that bad a shot that you need an automatic assault rifle to hit anything, perhaps you should think about getting a new hobby.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:27 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 12:27 PM #117 of 125
Not all assault rifles are fully automatic. The civilian AK is modified for semi-auto only in American markets.

How ya doing, buddy?
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2008, 05:23 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2008, 02:23 PM #118 of 125
I thought all assault rifles that could be legally owned by civilians in the US had to be restricted to semi-auto. Any models that are capable of burst or auto are illegal to own unless the bolt has been cut to prevent firing. Although... civilians can own full auto machine guns (in Arizona anyway) so perhaps it is a state law.

Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:56 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 10:56 AM #119 of 125
Based on what? The grand jury interpreted the law far differently than you and many of the other liberal anti-gun nuts in this thread have. Precedent has been set, so throw this 'should have' business out the window.
I actually meant "should NOT have been indicted"; I was trying to say that, according to the law, he was legally justified, and so really the issue is whether or not it should be legal, as was brought up later.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 5, 2008, 06:59 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2008, 06:59 PM #120 of 125
Throw this 'should have' business out the window, the Supreme Court set precedent and you can be separate but equal.

But we don't elect supreme court justices!

Would you like to know more?

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:05 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2008, 07:05 PM #121 of 125
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
I feel alot safe here than I would in any state in the USA.
Have you ever been to, like, North Dakota?

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:44 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2008, 08:44 PM #122 of 125
Have you ever been to, like, North Dakota?
Most non-North Americans' understanding of North Dakota probably came from Fargo, so he might have been justified in that statement.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 9, 2008, 01:24 AM Local time: Jul 8, 2008, 11:24 PM #123 of 125
That should just highlight the need to own a gun if your neighbor is running a wood chipper.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
mor20
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31265

Level 2.00

Jul 2008

Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:45 AM 1 #124 of 125
I think this law in the usa is not needed beacuse everyone can kill evryone who will enter his property and can say he was protecting himself

chronicles
Banned

Member 31390

Level 2.74

Aug 2008

Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:24 PM #125 of 125
It's best that people don't have any guns at all. Look at the UK, they took their guns away and now they have to resort to knifings. Only the criminals should be allowed to have guns, after all they don't follow the rule of law. Ask any criminal where they get their gun so they can take the 5th amendmant...

Oh and goverment officials should not be the only law abiding people to have automatics, sure if your average jow has it, its overkill but the point is its a protected right no matter how silly it looks.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > GUN DEBATE