Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Greek leftists protest against Rice visit
Closed Thread

AlogiA
Βλέπω κάτι όνειρα...

Member 1866

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:33 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 05:33 PM #1 of 5
Greek leftists protest against Rice visit

Quote:
ATHENS (Reuters) - Hundreds of Greek leftists marched through central Athens on Monday chanting slogans against a visit by U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in a foretaste of planned mass action.

The Greek Communist Party (KKE) managed to hoist a giant poster reading "Condoleezza Rice Go Home" from the central Athens Music Hall, right next to the American embassy and in one of the most heavily guarded areas of the Greek capital.

About three hundred protesters marched toward the embassy shouting anti-American slogans but were blocked by police with riot gear from reaching the building. Eight people were held for questioning, police said.

"Rice is not welcome. Her visit is against people's interests. It just heralds evils," the KKE said in a statement.

Rice is due to meet Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis and her Greek counterpart Dora Bakoyanni on Tuesday as part of a five-day trip to Europe that also includes Turkey and Bulgaria.

Greek leftists and peace activists usually protest against visits by senior U.S. officials. Former Secretary of State Colin Powell canceled a visit to the Athens 2004 Olympics for fear of violent protests.

Although NATO allies for decades, many Greeks are still angry at Washington for backing the far-right military junta that ruled Greece between 1967 and 1974.

Earlier on Monday, an anarchist group claimed responsibility for fire bomb attacks in Athens, saying they were aimed against Rice's visit.

The anarchist "Anti-State Struggle" group claimed it was behind a bomb blast outside a French carmaker Renault showroom on Monday and a failed attack against a McDonald's fast food outlet at the weekend. The fire bombs damaged cars but caused no injuries.

KKE has planned a mass rally in central Athens at 0700 GMT on Tuesday, followed by a march to the U.S. embassy to protest against Rice and threatened sanctions against Iran for its nuclear programme.

Iran is embroiled in a dispute with the West over its nuclear programme, which the United States says is designed to build bombs. Tehran says it only wants to generate electricity. Washington has not ruled out military action against Iran.

Anti-war groups, opposed to U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, also said they planned protests.

Police said they were determined not to allow protesters to come near the embassy.

The Stop the War and Greek Social Forum groups, which said they would hold protests in central Athens, said the visit offended the peace-loving feelings of Greek people.

"We will not let this war hawk visit Greece. We will fight to cancel the visit," Stop the War said in a statement.
Source: http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...id=&cap=&sz=13
http://derstandard.at/ (German)

Anti-Bush-administration demonstrations are okay, but they really don't have to be that violent like on the 3rd, 4th and 5th picture I posted here.
Not only the leftist, but also, as far as i know, a great majority of all Greeks down there have also an anti-American attitude, but they are much more moderate.

But anyway...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by AlogiA; Apr 25, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:44 PM #2 of 5
Can't say I blame them. Our current President (mine only by force of the stupid majority) has basically pissed all over America's international relations by sticking his neck where it doesn't belong. Oh how I miss those Clinton years. At least all he did was get a freaking BJ. I can't wait till 2008!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 09:30 PM #3 of 5
Originally Posted by AlogiA

Anti-Bush-administration demonstrations are okay, but they really don't have to be that violent like on the 3rd, 4th and 5th picture I posted here.
Not only the leftist, but also, as far as i know, a great majority of all Greeks down there have also an anti-American attitude, but they are much more moderate.
I hope you're expecting anyone here to argue with you that violent demonstrations are okay.

At least they're not lynching some American tourists.

Originally Posted by Technophile
Can't say I blame them. Our current President (mine only by force of the stupid majority)
More people didn't vote then actually took to the polls (to vote for Kerry OR Bush) in the '04 presidential election. Whose "majority" is that?

Originally Posted by Technophile
has basically pissed all over America's international relations by sticking his neck where it doesn't belong.
President Bush is turning into my hero. He has completely surpassed Nixon in underminding most people's faith in the system. By allowing institutions to partake in an orgy of corruption he's furthering a libertarian agenda that I can't willfully oppose. I cannot wait until a Democrat comes to power and changes absolutely nothing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:28 AM #4 of 5
Originally Posted by Watts
More people didn't vote then actually took to the polls (to vote for Kerry OR Bush) in the '04 presidential election. Whose "majority" is that?
Y'know damn well what I'm talking about. When I say "majority", I'm referring to the majority of the people who voted. Who's majority is that? I dunno, why don't you take a visit to the closest Dumfuckingstan Bush Loving area around you and ask around. I'm sure you'll find one close by as it somehow took over most of the freaking country during election time. It was like this sudden, giant epidemic of stupid all across America.

Quote:
President Bush is turning into my hero. He has completely surpassed Nixon in underminding most people's faith in the system. By allowing institutions to partake in an orgy of corruption he's furthering a libertarian agenda that I can't willfully oppose. I cannot wait until a Democrat comes to power and changes absolutely nothing.
And who the hell made you Ms. Cleo?

Most amazing jew boots
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:36 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:36 AM #5 of 5
Since the Greeks have been demonstrating against the U.S. when the chance arises since Operation Allied Force, and since U.S. officials are regularly met with demonstrations when they visit just about any country, I fail to see why this particular demonstration is special enough to warrant a thread of its own. Similarly, the sudden downturn in decorum leads me to conclude that no reasonable discussion will develop in this thread.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Greek leftists protest against Rice visit