Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Smackdown vs Raw '08

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:38 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2007, 07:38 PM #26 of 50
Well yeah, I don't think I would really want to play against randoms, especially in something like a wrestling game, but that doesn't change the fact that if I am playing against a friend, I will want to engage in friendly trash talk. The lack of ubiquitous voice chat capabilities on PS3 needs to be changed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:23 PM #27 of 50
Just a few more days before this game comes out.

This game alone makes me want to consider getting an XBox 360 when I have the funds (and availability) due to the 1) custom music for entrances and 2) online service (well, okay, so maybe not due to the cost and me not really playing).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:39 PM #28 of 50
I used to like wrestling games in the PS1 days, but I haven't bothered since. I rented '07 and I played the demo for '08. However I find it shocking that the games still lack anything redefining since Smackdown 2, even the glitches are the same.

I really am sorry to crash this party, but this game disapoints even the reviewers who are wrestling fans so far, so it may be just to have high hopes for this game, just make sure to have reasonable expectations when popping it into your console, and get ready for some Smackdown like it's the year 2000, but with better graphics.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 09:58 PM #29 of 50
I still don't understand why they don't incorporate aspects of the DoR engine into this game. While I do enjoy the Smackdown games, and look forward (with low expectations as some people have started to give out reviews) of this game, I always liked the DoR engine, in particular DOR 1, the most.

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:23 AM #30 of 50
So I finally got a chance to play this game. I dunno if this should be a spoiler or not but...

Spoiler:

Plot continualty is definitively a negative. Either that, or Cena is a dolt as he fought for a number one contender's shot for a title he already had.

So far, the game isn't that bad. I haven't be able to powerbomb people on steel steps as I have seen on videos, do the table thing, or such. However, I HAVE been able to get use to the controls in a remarkably short amount of time. Also, there seems to be more fluid movement with running around, use of moves (well, to an extent), and such.

The roster is quite pathetic. There are a few new faces, but most of them are old hat. Some of their moves are updated (HBK's superkick is better...although maybe it was like that in 2007). Why certain wrestlers need to be unlocked when they are part of the current (or close enough to it) roster is beyond me.

24/7 mode is OK. Be spoiled by the above comment for one amusing problem. Cut scenes are rather boring as half the time you see your character high-fiving guys he is supposedly feuding with, and then leaving those who want a handshake high and dry that you are suppose to be buddy-buddy with. The ability to do appearances, etc is slightly enticing but I found wears off soon, partially due to the possibility of getting injured.

Speaking of that, injuries so far aren't as bad as the previews had them out to be. My character had a slight injury, and while it did slow him down a bit (although that may be due to stamina), I had no problem with any of my matches. Still, it gets boring as you can only do one really big thing per week due to the possibility of getting injured. And resting from an injury has quite an annoying penalty.

Music wise the game is OK. A few new themes as most of the roster has had the same themes for the last year. The ingame soundtrack is alright. Nothing really stands out, nothing really is annoying. Commentary (okay, so that's not really music) still has some bugs in it (I swear they talked about Smackdown wrestlers AFTER winning a match on Raw). I still hear some of the same comments made back in 06, save that JBL-not Tazz, is saying them.

So yeah, it's nothing too bad so far. I still have to go through more of the game (I swear now that I think about it I didn't see Elimination Chamber, but I would assume I just overlooked that as I looked at all the new things and such).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 04:05 PM #31 of 50
Just bought this about an hour ago. I played one match and had to turn off the PS3 (have shit to do around the house, don't have time to really fuck around with the game yet). From what I did play, it was pretty sound. I don't know if it's the TV we have in the front room, but it seemed to run a little sluggish/laggy, kinda like how SvR 06 did with the online portion. It took a few minutes to grasp the new control design, but once I got it, everything started to fall into place.

They're not lying when it was stated you can counter just about everything, as I was countering moves left and right. I don't think I'm liking too much having to hold R1 then hit triangle for the finisher, but I'm sure it'll start coming in like second nature once I get started.

I'll mess with the CAW tonight to see what the deal with that is, but I'm really digging the fact the CAE(ntrance) isn't as crappy as last year's game. I could do with more music being but on the disc, but at least it's not a complete rap-fest as past titles have been. I'll probably end up buying the 360 version later down the line for the custom soundtrack portion.

I'll mess around with it more later tonight to get a better feel of the game. Right now though, it's not too bad and actually better than previous titles.

Upon fiddling with the game a bit more, I'm not entirely sure what to really think of it. Is it the greatest purchase I've ever made? Not really. Do I regret it the purchase? Not at all. It's going to take some getting used to playing. I know why it feels like it lags a bit, it's cause of the graphics. They actually remind me that of Wrestlemania 21 in how they move around.

I'm trying out WWE 24/7 mode now and even though I won my first match, it was a "disappointment" to Coach. He called it something like "that is NOT HOW YOU WIN A MATCH" or some such bullcrap like that. (Shad beat the ever living shit out of my CAW.) It's a bit difficult to do much of anything cause the controls are so much different this time out than previous titles.

24/7 mode is kinda like Hall of Fame mode in Madden 07. You have your match day, then two days for training. Training sessions can be failed (which sucks ass) and you can actually lose stamina and gain fatigue like in a regular match. You're given tasks to do (I had to beat Edge by KO. LAWL.) Of course that failed miserably.

CAW is a little bit better, but there's just not shit for hardly for good attire. Of course something that blows my mind is that there are nWo signs you can pick for your custom signs, but no nWo entrance/music??

I'll have to say I'm a tad disappointed in this title, but I'm sure once I get the mechanics down and figure out how to do everything, I'll enjoy it more and more. I'll probably give it an 7.5-8.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by dagget; Nov 13, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:14 AM #32 of 50
Really? 24/7 mode for me was a breeze and coach couldn't stop singing my praises. Of course, I was HBK. But still, 90% of the time, he was more or less like 'you rock'.

Supposedly you can do a conchairto, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll play around with it some more tonight.

The game apparently is unable to listen to some of the options. In a 'Beat the Clock' tournament, I won it to face Chavo for the CW title. I turned DQ's off, went outside, grabbed something, socked Chavo, and got DQ'ed. Hmmm...

How ya doing, buddy?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:35 AM #33 of 50
Of course something that blows my mind is that there are nWo signs you can pick for your custom signs, but no nWo entrance/music??
You just now notice this? They've had nWo signs and shirt logos in every Smackdown game since Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth.

That said... 360 owners don't have to worry about the music issue.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Out thought and out fought."
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:46 AM #34 of 50
I know there was nWo stuff around since Shut Your Mouth, but also there's been some sort of nWo entrance being able to be created too. In SYM, it was the real nWo music, except that the only people who came out in the black and white were people who were in the nWo. The next game had nWo entrance, where you were black and white when making your entrance, then I think it was either 06 or 07 which had it but the music was all "generic." This year, there's no black and white entrance.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:00 PM #35 of 50
I bet if you make your own custom entrance, that black and white will be one of the camera options. But I'm not sure since I haven't messed with it yet. Part of the reason for no nWo music is because it was made by an independant band, so WCW/WWE had to keep resecuring the rights to use it.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 02:23 AM #36 of 50
Since there aren't any FAQs written yet, I have a small question. Sometimes I get a mobile alert fro Coach and he tells me has some stuff set up for me (This time its an interview with Maria.) How do I do the stuff Coach sets up for me?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:05 AM #37 of 50
Since there aren't any FAQs written yet, I have a small question. Sometimes I get a mobile alert fro Coach and he tells me has some stuff set up for me (This time its an interview with Maria.) How do I do the stuff Coach sets up for me?
Should have happened automatically at the beginning of the next RAW.

I was speaking idiomatically.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:13 AM #38 of 50
Yeah I saw that like 5 minutes after I posted. Still getting used to the game and all heh. I just didn't know exactly how it worked since he had some kind of objective for me during my heat/initiation matches, but now I see.

I like how I'm fueding with Orton and when it shows me walking towards the ring, slapping him some High Fives right before the match with him. lewl. Right after that bastard stole my kiss from Maria

I'm really digging the game now, especially since I figured out how to get certain moves pulled off. Just getting pissed that sometimes my shit is getting reversed a bit too often before I can land the moves in.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 06:26 AM #39 of 50
Figured out how to do a one man con-chairto.

1.) PIck someone who has a Hardcore character icon. Examples are Edge, Sandman, Dreamer, Sabu...
2.) Get TWO chairs (you can grab one from under the ring in the upper and lower places where you can grab items).
3.) Clobber your opponent (and perhaps the ref if DQ's are on) so that he is lying down face-first.
4.) Near your opponent's head, holding one chair, push X (or was it square :s). That should place the chair under your opponent's fcae.
5.) Grab the other chair and push the square button (or, um, X? Blast my memory!) near your opponent. Conchairto!

The story mode is alright, but I seriously can't stand seeing the same animations over and over again. Furthermore, I see HBK half the time diss his partner, and high-five his opponent. Continually minus a hundred.

I DO enjoy the ECW matches. I still don't know how I got it, but I had a flaming table. One of my opponents hard a flaming barb-wire bat. Crazy stuff. Also, was pretty cool when you win a title and already have one seeing your wrestler hold out BOTH titles in the animation.

I don't really see though the differences with a hardcore match now save that the items are already outside and you don't have to go under the ring for them. Heck, ECW matcehs are basically an improvement of them (since you can also choose which item you want).

FELIPE NO
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:51 PM #40 of 50
Man, this series has just been getting worse and worse... I'm on the PSP version and it is PAINFULLY slow. I can't stand what this series has become. There's a small chance I might get the 360 version, but my money might be tight soon. The hardcore wrestling fan in me just keeps telling me to get this despite it's downfalls though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:08 PM #41 of 50
Just for the record, The Dirty fighting style can also do the conchairto as well as the moves where you wrap the chair around their head or leg.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:49 PM #42 of 50
I would advise ultimately waiting for it to drop in price in a few months. It's not horrible, but not worth the 50 bucks.

Tone
crazed AH player

Member 26326

Level 2.25

Nov 2007

Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:13 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2007, 09:13 AM #43 of 50
SvR 08 for $50 = bad.

SvR 08 for $20-30 = alright.

I can't stand the roster in this game, plus I hear stuff about tons of glitches everywhere. Dunno about the CAW/CAE modes being improved, and the fighting styles look pretty nice, but I can't say I want to throw $50 out on this...

I'll be locked in my room playing '06 for another six months..

- Tone

himsk8boy
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 26351

Level 1.00

Nov 2007

Old Nov 17, 2007, 09:01 PM #44 of 50
i got smackdown vs RAW 08 4 ps3 but umm well....IM A NOOB AT IT!!!! XD how do u open the cell door in a hell in a cell match and how do u climb the sides of the elimination chamber?????

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:32 AM #45 of 50
I THINK you run into the door and your wrestler will automatically open it. At least that works for the PS2 version...

I was speaking idiomatically.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:04 AM #46 of 50
Alright, so story mode gets a F for continuty (sp?). Here's why:

Spoiler:

So, for Survivor Series they announced it will be a triple threat with all the world champs putting their titles on the line. The winner gets the title from the person who loses (i.e. pinned or submits).

Okay, great. SOunds wonderful. So we go along, I face Smackdown's champion (King Booker) in a non-title match. Sounds good.

THe next week, Shane messages me telling me that he backs me up in my match, and that someone will be giving me a call. So, I wait for this call in the game...and wait...and wait...and wait...and...nothing? Sorta. Continue reading...

Then, suddenly "I" decide to place my title on the line against Lashley (ECW champion) on the Raw before the big PPV. Okay...strange, but I'll go with. I successfully defend the title, and all is good...when I hear the last two lines...

J.R.: "So now the Raw champion will have the ECW champion backing him up in his match."
King: "Yeah, but can be be trusted?"

If I had turned away for five seconds, I would have missed that. Somehow, the match suddenly had the added stipulation that if I won, Lashley would become my PARTNER in the 'triple threat' match. Of course, I thought they meant that he would try to help me win the match...surely they wouldn't do something like that. At any rate, keep this thought in mind as well go to...

Dreamer and Lashley hitting my character with a car and Dreamer yelling at me for thinking that his champ wasn't worthy enough for a title shot. Unlike King's and J.R.'s two lines which I could have missed, there was NO missing the fact that I had JUST DEFENDED my title against Lashley. To his credit, Lashley said nothing, possibly having become a zombie under Dreamer's control (Hey, at LEAST then Lashley has an excuse...).

Now, to add to it all, suddenly Shane messages me saying I was a fool to turn down Lashley's help (I swear the magazine even had it state that my character agreed, but I'm not quite sure). Given that I had no idea that I was suppose to get help from him, let alone ever had a chance to give a choice, this is rather odd. Of course, given what Dreamer and Lashley did at the end of Raw, it actually seems logical (even if I never actually SAW it) that my character would turn down their help.

Which of course leads to the handicap match in which I and Lashley DO team against King Booker. Lashley then pins Booker, and instead of him gaining the title, I become the dual champion.

Oh, and to top it all off...AFTER it all, I was notified that I would get a salary increase. Of...one dollar. Unfortunately, the game FORGOT to actually add this (as small as it may be) into my actual salary.

Did Steph somehow write the script of this game?

Oh...and one more, less hilarious but still happened:

Spoiler:

About two months game-wise prior to this, there was the storyline where Steph fell in love with my character. A bit cheesy, but fine.

Alright, well, Shawn got beat down by um, someone. At any rate, this was AFTER the MAIN EVENT on RAW, in which was followed by the marriage where Steph was 'left at the altar'...ALSO on RAW. I guess no one had televisions in the back, and Coach was brain-dead that he forgot to tell Steph that...

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:51 PM #47 of 50
Alright, so story mode gets a F for continuty (sp?). Here's why:

Spoiler:

So, for Survivor Series they announced it will be a triple threat with all the world champs putting their titles on the line. The winner gets the title from the person who loses (i.e. pinned or submits).

Okay, great. SOunds wonderful. So we go along, I face Smackdown's champion (King Booker) in a non-title match. Sounds good.

THe next week, Shane messages me telling me that he backs me up in my match, and that someone will be giving me a call. So, I wait for this call in the game...and wait...and wait...and wait...and...nothing? Sorta. Continue reading...

Then, suddenly "I" decide to place my title on the line against Lashley (ECW champion) on the Raw before the big PPV. Okay...strange, but I'll go with. I successfully defend the title, and all is good...when I hear the last two lines...

J.R.: "So now the Raw champion will have the ECW champion backing him up in his match."
King: "Yeah, but can be be trusted?"

If I had turned away for five seconds, I would have missed that. Somehow, the match suddenly had the added stipulation that if I won, Lashley would become my PARTNER in the 'triple threat' match. Of course, I thought they meant that he would try to help me win the match...surely they wouldn't do something like that. At any rate, keep this thought in mind as well go to...

Dreamer and Lashley hitting my character with a car and Dreamer yelling at me for thinking that his champ wasn't worthy enough for a title shot. Unlike King's and J.R.'s two lines which I could have missed, there was NO missing the fact that I had JUST DEFENDED my title against Lashley. To his credit, Lashley said nothing, possibly having become a zombie under Dreamer's control (Hey, at LEAST then Lashley has an excuse...).

Now, to add to it all, suddenly Shane messages me saying I was a fool to turn down Lashley's help (I swear the magazine even had it state that my character agreed, but I'm not quite sure). Given that I had no idea that I was suppose to get help from him, let alone ever had a chance to give a choice, this is rather odd. Of course, given what Dreamer and Lashley did at the end of Raw, it actually seems logical (even if I never actually SAW it) that my character would turn down their help.

Which of course leads to the handicap match in which I and Lashley DO team against King Booker. Lashley then pins Booker, and instead of him gaining the title, I become the dual champion.

Oh, and to top it all off...AFTER it all, I was notified that I would get a salary increase. Of...one dollar. Unfortunately, the game FORGOT to actually add this (as small as it may be) into my actual salary.

Did Steph somehow write the script of this game?

Oh...and one more, less hilarious but still happened:

Spoiler:

About two months game-wise prior to this, there was the storyline where Steph fell in love with my character. A bit cheesy, but fine.

Alright, well, Shawn got beat down by um, someone. At any rate, this was AFTER the MAIN EVENT on RAW, in which was followed by the marriage where Steph was 'left at the altar'...ALSO on RAW. I guess no one had televisions in the back, and Coach was brain-dead that he forgot to tell Steph that...

Sounds like WWE's typical "logical" writing to me. xD This game just seems to forget everything you do in a PPV after it's over. It's like "ok that feud is over. NEXT!" Heck the very first feud is supposed to end with a number 1 contender spot. This didn't happen at all. I also hate how they keep reusing scenes at the wrong times. Like just now I was feuding against Carlito and Johnny Nitro, but when they show me arriving to RAW backstage, I'm all buddy buddy with them, and shaking hands with them. Come on THQ! To Kayfabe, or not to kayfabe? Stick with one please!

FELIPE NO
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:56 PM #48 of 50
Haha, I had that too. As said in an earlier post I...

Spoiler:

Fought John Cena for the number one contender's spot. We go at it, then show respect to each other after our match. Apparently, Mr. Cena forgot about that, and that he was going for contendership for a title he ALREADY OWNED as he began taunting me the next day concerning his title defense against...well, possibly me.

I'm sorry, but a sucky storyline like that DESERVES to be mentioned twice. I should have seen the writing on the wall with just THIS.

Oh, speaking of Carlito, that sets up another storyline and bug in the game.

It started with Mickie and Nitro breaking up. In the storyline, Mickie then began to like the champion. This enraged Nitro and a feud started...which arruptly ended as he, along with Triple H, became "knights" under Candice and Edge (Queen and King respectively). Despite Nitro swearing revenge, that never actually happened as somehow Edge and Candice's storyline overtook Nitro's. Then again...that kinda IS how the WWE books...so it may not be far off the mark.

At any rate, there IS a part where I swear Candice gives you a choice of who you'd like to face. Nitro, Carlito (who is with them as well) or Triple H. I KNOW I picked Trips because I already faced Nitro and Carlito in previous matches...only to find me and Carlito at it at Raw, anyway. Hey, are they mimicing the votes they do for their 24/7 Series here as well (back story: Basically, very recently people all voted to see Survivor Series 1987. Well, despite that, they got 1994, and suddenly were told that Survivor Series 1994 won)?

I will say that the game doesn't forget EVERYTHING you did though after a PPV...

Spoiler:

Steph messaged my character saying that since he helped Shane so much, he could also help Steph. Of course, here's the amusing part. She stated that she "Got my character's number from Shane". Now, unless my character changed his number within the last month, somehow, Steph totally forgot about that she had the marriage angle with my character. Blast old age, haha

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:55 AM #49 of 50
Oh man, I just hope someone from WWE creative picks this game up and starts to realize how insane it is. Then they might even start to realize how their booking is just as insane and nonsensical as this.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:06 AM #50 of 50
The moment they started adding voice overs to the game, limited the storylines, making them all bullshit. (Well Smackdown 3's storyline were lame too...) Smackdown SYM and HCtP had EXCELLENT season modes. Sometimes I still go back and play those to relive the storylines and angles.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Smackdown vs Raw '08