Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] If you made a list of 5 albums that are REQUIRED LISTENING

Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:44 PM 2 #1 of 28
If you made a list of 5 albums that are REQUIRED LISTENING

...what would you pick?

I don't mean albums that are so incredibly awesome that they make your ears orgasm. I'm talking about albums that make you say "Wow, there's music that sounds like this?" I'm talking about albums that completely open your ears to new sounds and melodies.

If I were to pick 5, I would pick:

1. The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World.
Courtesy of Amara, I now know what terrible really sounds like. I thought I knew beforehand, but no, unless you listen, you have NO IDEA. It's so bad, I was alternating between hysterical chucking and a slight case of the jibblies. AND O GOD DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE ACTUAL LYRICS.

2. Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (EP)
This wasn't the album that introduced me to Post Rock (that honor belongs to The Lay Lie Land by world's end girlfriend), but man I wish it was. If you've never gotten into post rock, this three track album shows you just the overload of power and emotion the genre can bring, contrasting with a sense of calm. It is ESSENTIAL you know music can have such qualities before you die.

3. Silver Apples - Contact
This, to me, is an example of what pure psychedelia is supposed to sound like. Like a shroom session from which the genre relates, this is a hard and unique album, using notes and melodies that sound more otherworldly than pieces people make that TRY to sound other worldly. This album really gets into your head after a few tracks, and it's important for people to know you don't need drugs necessarily to induce a psychedelic state. All you need is a lack of sleep and this album!

4. Lustmord - Paradise Disowned
If you haven't really been exposed to Dark Ambient, you first off need to be, and this is the perfect album to be exposed to first. This album somehow instills beauty with a screeching whale song. It has a standard 80's dance track with chainsaw vocalists. It brings you a sensation of pure screeching pain in a track and just instills a sense of creepiness and fear. You need to hear this to know that there's other genre's out there besides noise that can instill such things.

5. SORMA - Illusion
Everyone who I've shown this album to was absolutely AMAZED at how unique it is. It's world music made by some d00ds with a Asian tint to it, but yet it's so much more. Songs like Kizuna have the most amazing vocals without words, and it just BLOWS ME AWAY how they blended things seemingly so traditional with modern instruments. This is required listening because I'm certain you have never heard music like this unless you've heard SORMA before.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Moon; Mar 3, 2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: frigging grammar...
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:24 AM #2 of 28
3. Silver Apples - Contact
This, to me, is an example of what pure psychedelia is supposed to sound like. Like a shroom session from which the genre relates, this is a hard and unique album, using notes and melodies that sound more otherworldly than pieces people make that TRY to sound other worldly. This album really gets into your head after a few tracks, and it's important for people to know you don't need drugs necessarily to induce a psychedelic state. All you need is a lack of sleep and this album!
I'll be honest. I rarely stray from my usual listening, often avoiding other peoples' musical props since everyone thinks their own taste is awesome.

But this shit is AWESOME. I downloaded it thinking "who can't use more psychedelic rock" and this is a PLEASANT SURPRISE.

Thank you~

I should mention that your first link to The Shaggs is not working. ;_;

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Prons
Syklis Green

Member 19963

Level 7.40

Feb 2007

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:59 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2007, 10:59 PM #3 of 28
1) Led Zeppelin IV
2) AC/DC Back in Black
3) Abbey Road
4) Guns 'N Roses Use Your Illusion I and II (Double CD, but I will count as one, because you can't have one without the other as far as I'm concerned.)
5) Pink Floyd the Wall.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:55 AM #4 of 28
I must also insist The Shaggs are required listening. I went through a similar reaction, between laughter, giggles and OH GOD MAKE IT STOP.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:11 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 05:11 PM #5 of 28
only have one that stands way above the rest

Rob Dougan - 'Furious Angels'

I was speaking idiomatically.

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:20 PM #6 of 28
I'd cheat and use compilations, like

Pink Floyd - Echoes
The Beatles - 1
The Beach Boys - The Sounds of Summer
U2 - 18 Singles

And then

Led Zeppelin - (IV)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:29 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 11:29 AM #7 of 28
In no particular order:

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
The Stooges - The Stooges

As for all the people throwing Zeppelin IV out there, I've never really seen the appeal in that record. I mean, great songs without a doubt, but it doesn't really flow well as an album. I've always thought of it as a bit of a singles compilation. Their third record is probably their best, in my opinion.

FELIPE NO
kinkymagic
I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

Member 1409

Level 16.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:56 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 05:56 PM #8 of 28
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground & Nico
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions
Shostakovic - Symphony No 15

I've tried to get in as much a mix of genre as possible.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

“When I slap you you'll take it and like it.”

Last edited by kinkymagic; Mar 3, 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 02:20 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 08:20 PM #9 of 28
1. Pink Floyd - Animals
2. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
3. Led Zeppelin - II
4. The Beatles - Love
5. Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Jam it back in, in the dark.

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

Yarbles
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5247

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 05:44 PM #10 of 28
I tried to pick albums that I thought everyone should listen to, not just my favorites.

1. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure ~ A Great album that features Brian Eno. Displays Ferry and Eno's rift quite well. But it is also the paradigm of glam rock (yes they win over Bowie)

2. Brian Eno - Another Green World ~ Eno's best album in my view. His solo work ultimately led to the creation of ambient music, but on another green world, he's at his art-pop best.

3. The Talking Heads - Remain In Light ~ One of the finest albums to emerge from the eighties, it's quite simply amazing.

4. Can - Future Days ~ Can's final album before losing Damo Suzuki. It's the prettiest sounding album by can, but also probably their best (in terms of experimentation).

5. Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? ~ One of the best deconstructed rock albums ever, but at the same time, Devo manages alot of beauty. Gut Feeling quite simply is one of the catchiest songs writte (mostly the opening segment)

Gratch
Not at my post

Member 7140

Level 8.23

May 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 05:45 PM #11 of 28
Two albums jump immediately to mind:

Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park
Mr. Bungle - California

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:26 PM #12 of 28
1. Final Fantasy VI OST
2. The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden)
3. Phantasy Star Sound Collection 1
4. Guilty Gear Original Sound Collection
5. Galaxy Angel Best Collection 1

Number of the Beast is the best mainstream rock CD I have, Galaxy Angel is the best collection of Jpop I have, FFVI is probably my best original soundtrack, Phantasy Star is easily my favorite arranged album and Guilty Gear was my introduction to rock/metal and the realization I liked it as much as I do. All of these have given me optimism for related types of music and I'd say they are all required listening.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:20 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2007, 09:20 PM #13 of 28
1. The Turn-A Gundam OST II, Dianna and Kihel.

Absolutely necessary for any Kanno fan. And for a Kanno-Neophyte, it contains a sampling of just about every style that she composes in, aside from techno. When I listened to this for the first time, I felt a little ashamed that I let it sit on my hard disk for so long, packed away in a RAR file. I didn't know music could be so awesome.

2. The Vagrant Story OST:

The Pinnacle of video game music, and the album that truly introduced me to Sakimoto's unique style.

3. The Meine Liebe OST:

Absolutely breathtaking classical music, almost too good to be from an anime production. Most of the music is slow with a somewhat dark, dreary ambience, perhaps even a little haunting.

4. Trans-Europe Express:

One of Kraftwerk's best albums. Who can't feel good while listening to Europe Endless?

5. Cardcaptor Sakura complete vocal collection:

Probably my favorite collection of anime music, period. Absolutely excellently composed, utterly catchy, and completely unforgettable happy-type songs, with a little bit of classical mixed in on the second disc. Each song is completely unique and different from the rest, and all are worthy of multiple listens. Definitely not your typical J-Pop. Every single song on the entire album is excellent. Even the worst song is easily a 9.5/10.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Mar 3, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
darkrose16
Carob Nut

Member 2924

Level 5.19

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2007, 08:11 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 08:11 PM #14 of 28
1. Enya- Watermark
2. Sarah Brightman-La Luna
3. The Smiths-Louder than Bombs
4. Hybrid Theory- Linkin Park
5. The Breakfast Club Soundtrack

The world is full of dark and twisty people. I am one of them.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:21 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 11:21 PM #15 of 28
In no particular order:

Radiohead - OK Computer

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:6fd8vwxya9xk

Quote:
It's a thoroughly astonishing demonstration of musical virtuosity and becomes even more impressive with repeated listens, which reveal subtleties like electronica rhythms, eerie keyboards, odd time signatures, and complex syncopations. Yet all of this would simply be showmanship if the songs weren't strong in themselves, and OK Computer is filled with moody masterpieces, from the shimmering "Subterranean Homesick Alien" and the sighing "Karma Police" to the gothic crawl of "Exit Music (For a Film)."
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:avotk6axlkrk

Arp's, blowin' on jugs... as the liner notes on the CD release indicate, hip-hop has its roots in this kind of stuff, and I can see things like TCM also having their roots in this type of tunage. Best cover art ftw?

Tori Amos - Boys for Pele

Perhaps it's because I never listened to a lot of harpsichord music back in the Dark Ages (I was too busy dodging the Spanish Inquisition and the Black Plauge?) but I think this album truly pushes not only the boundaries of songcraft for Amos, compared to all her other works, but also the boundaries of sound. She tries so much on this album.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:jtk0ikljbb39

Quote:
Highly ambitious, challenging, idiosyncratic, and confounding, Boys for Pele expands on the more experimental and progressive tendencies of Under the Pink. Amos frequently discards traditional song structures and employs wide-ranging, eclectic instrumentation in her music, while her lyrics seem to grow even more obscure, giving the album a very impressionistic feel.

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:qns9keft7q7n

When one man can take an instrument and play it like it's not meant to be played and like no one else can, that is required listening right there my friends.

Quote:
...it's the tightest, most song-oriented representation of their jaw-dropping, one-of-a-kind style.
Mudhoney - March to Fuzz

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...6dsa9qgb23g~T1

Quote:
their indie-scene success laid the groundwork for the movement that would (briefly) make Seattle, WA, the new capital of the rock & roll universe; and they took the sweat-soaked and beer-fueled mixture of heavy metal muscle, punk attitude, and garage rock primitivism that would become known as "grunge" to the hipster audience for the first time, who would in turn sell it to a mass audience ready for something new. Though Mudhoney never scored the big payday some of their old-running buddies did, their importance on the Seattle scene cannot be underestimated, and their body of work -- big, loud, purposefully sloppy, a little bit menacing, and even more funny -- has stood the test of time better than their well-known colleagues.
Ah, the sweet, sweet fuzz, like none other. Mudhoney are "the grandfathers of grunge," and they pass their wisdom down to the next generation on this compilation album.

FELIPE NO
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:13 AM #16 of 28
Angra - Holy Land
Yes - Close to the Edge
King Crimson - Red
Jaga Jazzist - What We Must
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium
Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
Barky - A Study in Rocking
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Part I
Yasunori Mitsuda - Creid

Yeah, I'm a dirty cheater, deal with it. All of these were very important albums for me. I'll also shout out to the aforementioned Herbie Hancock, Black Sabbath, and Beatles picks.

Some of you guys seriously need to branch out a bit though. And by a bit I mean a lot.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 02:59 AM #17 of 28

The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World
The Shagg's are by no means the most horrible music ever made. As someone who has syped through 1000's of acts, obscure or not. This award goes to Omaha's finest Anarchist vampie

Anyways, onto my list.

1. Minutemen - Double Nickels on the dime

Quote:
a sprawling 44-song set that was as impressive as it was ambitious. While punk rock was obviously the starting point for the Minutemen's musical journey (which they celebrated on the funny and moving "History Lesson Part II"), by this point the group seemed up for almost anything -- D. Boon's guitar work suggested the adventurous melodic sense of jazz tempered with the bite and concision of punk rock, while Mike Watt's full-bodied bass was the perfect foil for Boon's leads and drummer George Hurley possessed a snap and swing that would be the envy of nearly any band. In the course of Double Nickels on the Dime's four sides, the band tackles leftist punk ("Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing"), Spanish guitar workouts ("Cohesion"), neo-Nortena polka ("Corona"), blues-based laments ("Jesus and Tequila"), avant-garde exercises ("Mr. Robot's Holy Orders"), and even a stripped-to-the-frame Van Halen cover ("Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"). From start to finish, the Minutemen play and sing with an estimable intelligence and unshakable conviction, and the album is full of striking moments that cohere into a truly remarkable whole
2. Son house - Legendary son House

Quote:

The sound of the metal slide quietly hovering over the strings can bring to mind only one thing in the mind of a westerner: an angry rattlesnake. And the way many listeners' jaws dropped upon hearing music such as this for the first time may not be quite as intense as a hiker's facial expression upon encountering such a creature, but it is close enough.
3. The Fall - This Nation's Saving grace & The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall

Quote:

Nations saving grace
Stompers like "Barmy," "What You Need," and the mighty "Gut of the Quantifier" are all led by Brix Smith's twanging lead hooks, filled by distorted guitars and bludgeoning drums, on top of which Smith rants with conviction. But it's the departures from this sound that mark the real interest here: The synth-driven "L.A." looks ahead to the Fall's experiments with electronica; "Paint Work" is an impressionist piece interrupted by Smith accidentally erasing over some of the track at home; and "I Am Damo Suzuki," a tribute to Can's lead singer, which borrows its arrangement from several of that group's songs. The Fall sound mysterious, down-to-earth, and hilarious all at the same time.

The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall

The Fall made the leap to a semi-major label -- Beggars Banquet -- with The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall, hooking up with noted producer John Leckie to create another smart, varied album. Contemporaneous with the slightly friendlier "Oh! Brother" and "C.R.E.E.P." singles without actually including them, Wonderful and Frightening World makes few concessions to the larger market -- every potential hook seemed spiked with the band's usual rough take-it-or-leave-it stance. Mark E. Smith's audible, tape-distorting spit on the descending chord blast of "Elves" -- already spiked with enough vocal craziness as it is -- gives a sense of where the album as a whole aims. Brix Smith co-writes about half the tracks, creating a strong partnership with many highlights. It may start with a semi-low-key chant, but when "Lay of the Land" fully kicks in, it does just that, Craig Scanlon in particular pouring on the feedback at the end over the clattering din. Smith sounds as coruscating and side-splittingly hilarious as ever, depicting modern Britain with an eye for the absurdities and failures (and crucially, no empathy -- it's all about a gimlet eye projected at everyone and everything). Two further standouts appear on the second half -- "Slang King," a snarling portrayal of a cool-in-his-mind dude and his increasingly pathetic life, and the concluding "Disney's Dream Debased." Though unquestionably the most conventionally attractive tune on the album, ringing guitars and all, Smith's lyrics portray a Disneyland scenario in hell, however softly delivered.
4. Can - Tago mago

Quote:

With the band in full artistic flower and Suzuki's sometimes moody, sometimes frenetic speak/sing/shrieking in full effect, Can released not merely one of the best Krautrock albums of all time, but one of the best albums ever, period. Tago Mago is that rarity of the early '70s, a double album without a wasted note, ranging from sweetly gentle float to full-on monster grooves. "Paperhouse" starts things brilliantly, beginning with a low-key chime and beat, before amping up into a rumbling roll in the midsection, then calming down again before one last blast. Both "Mushroom" and "Oh Yeah," the latter with Schmidt filling out the quicker pace with nicely spooky keyboards, continue the fine vibe. After that, though, come the huge highlights -- three long examples of Can at its absolute best. "Halleluwah" -- featuring the Liebezeit/Czukay rhythm section pounding out a monster trance/funk beat; Karoli's and Schmidt's always impressive fills and leads; and Suzuki's slow-building ranting above everything -- is 19 minutes of pure genius. The near-rhythmless flow of "Aumgn" is equally mind-blowing, with swaths of sound from all the members floating from speaker to speaker in an ever-evolving wash, leading up to a final jam. "Peking O" continues that same sort of feeling, but with a touch more focus, throwing in everything from Chinese-inspired melodies and jazzy piano breaks to cheap organ rhythm boxes and near babbling from Suzuki along the way. "Bring Me Coffee or Tea" wraps things up as a fine, fun little coda to a landmark record.
5. Swell Maps - Trip to Marineville

Quote:

the Swell Maps released their full-length debut A Trip to Marineville, a crazy-quilt of punk energy and Krautrock-influenced clatter. Noisy and experimental, Britain's Swell Maps experienced little commercial success during the course of their chaotic career, but in hindsight they stand as one of the pivotal acts of the new wave: not only was the group an acknowedged inspiration to the likes of Sonic Youth and Pavement

Last edited by Iwata; Mar 7, 2007 at 03:23 AM.
Infy
new-age irvine

Member 20776

Level 3.31

Mar 2007

Old Mar 9, 2007, 02:12 PM #18 of 28
alright, let me give a shot at this.

Blindside - Silence
When i think of beautifully composed music, this is always the first album that comes to mind. Each song is somewhat of an epic masterpeice [IMO]. Every song has their own individual meaning and interpretation. Melodic in nature, i can't get over the fact that everytime i pop it into my player, i get blown away by the fact that i really do think, "wow, i forgot that there is some music that actually sounds like this". too bad every album after that (that was a 2000 release, they've released 2 studio albums and 1 live album after that) have not been nearly as good.

TRUSTCompany - The Lonely Position of Neutral
Every time i listen to this album, sad to say it was against the rules to say it's a constant eargasm, but it's a party in my ear and everyone's invited. I don't understand how someone can produce something that no matter what track, at what time, and what mood i'm in. Can induce "the shivers". Not to mention that this CD, while this band is not in my "favorites", contains my all time favorite song. "Downfall". Absolute Audible Ecstacy.

Incubus - Make Yourself
Once again, i'm faced with the same scneario as before. I popped this CD in for the first time a good amount of years ago. And to this day i'm STILL impressed. From Tracks such as "The Warmth", "Pardon Me", and "Drive", to every other track on that cd, i can't help but break into song when i even begin to listen to one track. Seeing them Live, and hearing them
play these songs that i loved so much amplified everything tenfold. When ever i've had somewhat of a bad day, i pop this CD in and everything is forgotten by the time it's over.

Cold - Year Of The Spider
This CD was somewhat of a different catch than most, i was somewhat skeptical after only hearing one track, "Stupid Girl". While the song was alright in nature, my honest thought was hey, this CD looks cool. I purchased it, and i have been overwhelmed by it's sheer playability. Every other track on the CD was very, very well composed and played. One of the best purchases i've ever made.

Autopilot Off - Make a Sound
This cd, while i mention it last, is by far one of the best i've ever had the pleasure of listening to. The most catchy tracks, the most well-layed out instrumentals and chorus'. This cd nears perfection, the only thing that keeps it from such is this: It ends. Every song on it somehow relates to one thing or another in my life. The most melodic from any of the before CD's. It is the cd i considered the most "must listen". It's blows my mind that people are actually intelligent and creative enough to actually come up with something like this.

Honorable mentions:

The Strokes - Room on Fire
Moments in Grace - Moonlight Survived
Fivespeed - Morning Over Midnight
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First
Saosin - Selftitled

Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:01 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2007, 12:01 AM #19 of 28
I will mention 1:

Metallica: Master of Puppets

This is the definitive Metallica album. This is the music that has shaped a genre for a generation and is still referred to as the best heavy metal of all time by many people. And for good reason; no other Metallica album comes close to being as well crafted as this one and I have yet to find another band that can come close to this level of perfection. Okay, so maybe I'm being very fanboy-ish, but hey, I like Metallica and this is their greatest album.

GameInfarcer
Carob Nut

Member 22827

Level 5.82

Jun 2007

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:24 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 11:24 PM #20 of 28
That Handsome Devil - That Handsome Devil

"Following the self-help single “Dating Tips” which has since been rumored as the genus of the Neil Strauss book “The Game”, That Handsome Devil releases their debut self-titled EP. Arriving with an amazing arsenal of explosive riffs, guitars, keys and horns sweetened by the astounding production of Jeremy Page, front man Godforbid creates imagery that takes the listener from lumbering dreamscapes to howling anthems of cock-walking future pop. Chock-full of edgy lyrics delivered with a bar room swagger and raspy gruffness that forces you to trust their depth, charisma and balls, That Handsome Devil comes off like Tom Waits-meets-Ol Dirty Bastard. Forget Gnarls Barkley, thanks to the That Handsome Devil, the art of post-rap song-writing is here to serve you all, kick plenty of ass and take no prisoners."

Portishead - Dummy

Found this album only a few months ago. I am STILL listening to it obssessively. As of now, I have played it a good 255 times. That's a lot. This is some of the saddest music I have ever heard, and it got me through the hardest time of my life. another note - It's THE definitive Trip Hop album.

Damnation - Opeth

NOt much to say other than give it a listen. It's Opeth's only album with non death metal vocals, and their singer has one amazing voice. There's nothing you can compare this album with.

Soundgarden - Superunknown

I couldn't decide whether I should put superunknown or down on the upside on here, but the track Head Down puts this album just ahead of it. This track alone is worth buying the whole album. It's hauntingly psychedelic, and will take you out of this world.

Animal Magic - Bonobo

Also one of the saddest albums I have ever listened to. This is pure emotion packed into music. And it barely has any vocals. Like most of the albums on my list, this will take you out of this world.

Maxinquaye - Tricky

Great album, and Tricky's best album by far, this album has some of the best songs in the history of trip-hop, and even samples Smashing pumpkins, and portishead. Aftermath is a recommended listen, as well as strugglin'.

Absolution - Muse

One of my favorite male vocalists, apart from Tom Waits, and Chris Cornell, Matthew Bellamy reaches an all time high on this one. (literally.) Their music, also like a lot of music on this list, defines many of my aspirations as a musician. This is the music I've dreamed of making.

Mega!! Kung Fu Radio - Powerman 5000

This is Powerman 5000's older stuff, before they became more metal oriented. This is funky, groovy, hip, and whatever else you can think of. One of the reasons I still like Powerman 5000 is this album. It's definitely worth a listen.

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

I know, it's two albums, but I couldn't choose one. Mellon Collie has been touted as one of the best concept albums to date, and I have to agree. From the nostalgic Tonight, Tonight, to the angry, bitter Fuck You (Ode to No one), this album has it all, and it's all top quality music that only a perfectionist could make.

Yeah yeah, I went over five, but these couldn't be left out. There are still many more I would like to put on here, but I don't want to annoy you guys too much!

How ya doing, buddy?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:07 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2007, 06:07 PM #21 of 28
Yasunori Mitsuda - Creid
I've played this one to people who think VGM is nothing but beeps and boops and total shit, and they've loved it. Telling them afterwards that it's from a decade-old game about giant robots is fun.

Pink Floyd - Animals
Dark Side can get bent. Animals is probably the best PF studio album hands-down. Atmospheric and groooovy.

Ayreon - The Human Equation
Prog-rock and metal all-stars on an undeniably awesome rock opera. Folk, electronica, prog, rock, metal and symphonic music all up here. Devin Townsend and James LaBrie in the same song? Sign me the fuck up.

Boris ft Michio Kurihara - Rainbow
Beautiful, slow, atmospheric blissed-out stoner rock. So good.

Dream Theater - Awake
Images And Words pretty much invented prog metal, but Awake gave it a kickstart. It's heavy, then it's melodic, then it's progressive, then it's emotional... A+++ WOULD LISTEN AGAIN POSITIVE FEEDBACK~

Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 01:14 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 08:14 PM #22 of 28
Carcass: Heartwork
Witness the birth of a brand new genre. (melodic death metal for those who don't know)

Opeth: Morningrise
Beautiful, haunting, progressive, epic, chilling and immortal.

Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage
Just a very very very very very good album, not much else.

Reverend Bizarre: III: So Long Suckers
This (band and album) will become a legend some day. The farewell album from the now-split band playing doom metal that goes back to the very roots. All the way to the times of Black Sabbath. Absolutely stunning (literally: I was lying on the ground in a fetal position the last 60 minutes of it on the first listen).

Spice Girls: Spice

Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 01:17 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 10:17 AM #23 of 28
I'm going for more of a variety instead of sticking to just one genre of music.

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Probably the best jazz album created. Performed by the best musicians at the time, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, and Bill Evans. This album is a great example of modal jazz, which influenced many other genres of music.

Rust in Peace - Megadeth
Despite being a heavy metal album, this one is very good. I never have been able to find an album this high in caliber. It's just that good. All the songs have very memorable riffs that will stick with you.

White Album - Beatles
This is probably self explanatory. Everyone knows the Beatles. This album contrains most of the classics of them.

Arthur Rubinstein plays Chopin - Arthur Rubinstein
Now when most people hear classical, they are instantly turned off, which is a pity because there are tons of great music in that genre. Hopefully most people know who Frédéric Chopin is. He was a pianist during the 1800s and is known for his various nocturnes he wrote. Because sound recording wasn't available, it was up to Rubinstein to interpret his works. I have to say this is the best interpretation of Chopin.

My Way: The Best Of Frank Sinatra - Frank Sinatra
This great Italian American singer captured the hearts of millions with his awesome voice. Many of his songs are classics many of you heard. He sung a lot of those romantic songs. This album has many of his classics.

Most amazing jew boots

Dance party!

Last edited by Trigunnerz; Jun 24, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:22 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2007, 02:22 PM #24 of 28
In no particular order

Fly By Night - Rush

Everyone needs to know Rush, even if only to see how heavy progressive rock/metal began. This is the album that began Neil Peart's musical career, and obviously he is a monument to rock.

Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II - Helloween

This album (as well as Part I, but Part II is better) is arguably responsible for Helloween being around today. It really kicked things into motion for the band, and was a pretty defining moment in power metal. Michael Wiekath at the top of his game, Kai Hansen are the perfect mix (their fights aside) creating metal anthems that not enough people have heard. Anybody who likes metal needs to hear I Want Out, Eagle Fly Free, and Keeper of the Seven Keys. It's a requirment.

Splendor Solis - The Tea Party

The Tea Party is a wildly underrated band. This album is probably the most casual fan friendly. It it's experimental without getting too weird. The band did nothing but expand on the tone of this album for their entire career, messing around with exotic sounds. These guys are also the masters of slow relaxing acoustic songs. It's too bad these guys had to disband.

Images and Words - Dream Theater

As Krelian said above, this album pretty much invented progressive metal. While Awake may be a great album on it's own, nothing can come close to matching Pull Me Under, Metropolis Part I, or Learning to Live.

Touched by the Crimson King - Demons and Wizards

Lyrically, this is my favourite album. Based off a series of books that have me totally hooked, Kursch and Schaffer do a great job of creating terrific imagery with their music and lyrics. Connecting The Dark Tower to other great works such as Moby Dick, and The Wizard of Oz among others. For those who love concept albums, this is a must hear.

HightopNinja
Ninja in Hightops

Member 2115

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:15 AM #25 of 28
Pennywise - About Time
Buckethead - Crime Slunk Scene
Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dieing
Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre
Twiztid - The Green Book

Dave Foley is my Hero.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] If you made a list of 5 albums that are REQUIRED LISTENING