Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ken Lay Dead; Wikipedia Confused

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:11 AM #26 of 55
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
I like how you intersperse talking about how stupid something on the internet is with physical threats to people over the internet. Can I get a lol in here.
You'd have a point if I was known for hanging people. Since I am not, I'm forced to point out that this part of your statement holds no water, what-so-ever.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 11:16 PM #27 of 55
Originally Posted by LeHah
Given that the system is powered by the gerbil wheel known as the internet user - thats really nothing to bolster one's argument.

Wiki does not work because it's open to everyone. Of those supposed 13,000, how many of them are educated enough to give an educated writing on any particular subject? I'm sure that a couple of them could, say, write an interesting, intelligent bit on Tipler's Rotating Cylinder - so whats that say about the other 12,985 people on there? This isn't even to say that those people have done anything - but that they're empowered to.
You say Wiki doesn't work because it's open to everyone, and thus will be edited by shitheads. I say Wiki does work because it's open to everyone, and thus those same shithead will be corrected by people that actually know what the are talking about. Your dislike for Wiki has been well well documented here. I understand that is simply not going to change.

How many of those 12,985 that don't know anything about Tipler's Rotating Cylinder are actually going to edit it? And if a couple of them do, those that actually do know what they are talking about will edit it back. You can find 5 wiki articles with false info, I can find 5000 with accurate information.

Like I said, as a 100% infallible source that could be quoted on a term paper or in a report, Wiki wouldn't work. As a quick way to look up a fact, or learn something new about something you didn't know alot about, it does.

Quote:
You cannot accept Wiki as a source for anything if anyone can edit it as they see fit. If you want to - thats your problem; do not make it mine, internet, or you'll get a hard lesson of my foot up your ass.
Really? E-violence? Come on now, this isn't gamefaqs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:21 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 10:21 PM #28 of 55
You'd have a point if I was known for hanging people. Since I am not, I'm forced to point out that this part of your statement holds no water, what-so-ever.
So now in order for something to be a threat you need to have done it before? And, as acid pointed out, you kinda forgot the booting of ass in your post.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:24 AM #29 of 55
Originally Posted by acid
Like I said, as a 100% infallible source that could be quoted on a term paper or in a report, Wiki wouldn't work. As a quick way to look up a fact, or learn something new about something you didn't know alot about, it does.
Thats a great way to make a defense - until I ask you to quantify that everyone who makes a post or edits on Wiki actually does research on the topic. Obviously - the answer is at least "not all", as there are people who write things that are later removed.

So - you can't quantify that anyone, let alone a number of people, are qualified to make a post about anything on Wiki and be considered legit. The numbers are stacked against you - the proof of evidence is on you, not I.

So now in order for something to be a threat you need to have done it before?
Certainly stands to reason. By this point, the snide nature of "e-threats" is responded with the equally snide nature of a dismissal. Lather, rinse, repeat - though it stands to reason that people who need to point out the obvious lame nature of internet threats could only be as lame as the threat it's self.

And, as acid pointed out, you kinda forgot the booting of ass in your post.
I said that to the internet - which is not a person, so much as a massive group of people that lacks a singlar ass. To take such a statement seriously denotes you don't understand that which you're apparently using at the moment.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Aug 1, 2006 at 12:27 AM.
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:14 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 04:14 AM #30 of 55
Honestly, I think Wikipedia is a wonderful source of information. Of course, any information you find should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if the article in question does not cite its sources. It suits my purposes, certainly. There's no better way to find huge amounts of information on thousands of different subjects. Furthermore, the general style of organization appeals to me. And just for the record, Wikipedia articles aren't generally considered to be "paper encyclopedia" quality until they're featured. So, information from featured articles is to be valued above all others.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 01:25 PM #31 of 55
Meh - I'd never use it on a term paper or anything that required accountability... But if I was interested in knowing, say Anniston, Alabama (When I was wondering what sort of hazardous materials would cause the FAA to issue a TFR for that general area).

FELIPE NO
Licensed Commercial Pilot!
Currently: Float Pilot in BC
Need a pilot? PM Me.
Commercial Pilot, land and seaplanes, single and multi engines, instrument rating... I'm a jack of all trades! I can even be type rated!

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 02:38 PM #32 of 55
I take it everyone here has seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHm0rGns4I

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 04:05 PM #33 of 55
I've always wondered this, if Wikipedia can be changed so easily by a few clicks of the mouse, then why do people use it for more then just entertainment purposes? I mean shouldn't they come up with someway to stop this...Like maybe create a way for someone to verify the edits before allowing to appear on the site or something along those lines. Or is that expecting too much of them?

I don't use wikipedia unless I really, really, REALLY have to. Other times I just search for sites using a helpful search engine that are more researched then wikipeadia is. Heck...some fan sites are more creditable then Wikipedia! Personally...I think they should get they're act together and make the site harder to edit like I said.

And on a some what unrelated note...I'm surprised someone didn't add 'he got divine punishment from lord Kira' to the long list of the causes of death. Okay that was a bad joke, sorry about that.

Most amazing jew boots
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:15 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 06:15 PM #34 of 55
Thats a great way to make a defense - until I ask you to quantify that everyone who makes a post or edits on Wiki actually does research on the topic. Obviously - the answer is at least "not all", as there are people who write things that are later removed.

So - you can't quantify that anyone, let alone a number of people, are qualified to make a post about anything on Wiki and be considered legit. The numbers are stacked against you - the proof of evidence is on you, not I.
You're right. I cannot verify that everyone who makes a post does research. Yes, there are people that don't know what they are talking about editing things. However my entire point, and if you had bothered to actually read the thread than spend your time staring at the reply window trying to come up with witty retorts, is that these people will be corrected by those who actually do know what they are talking about. That while yes, there will be errors, overall the self policing style does work for Wikipedia.

Quote:
I said that to the internet - which is not a person, so much as a massive group of people that lacks a singlar ass. To take such a statement seriously denotes you don't understand that which you're apparently using at the moment.
You backpedal any faster, and you're going to fall over.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 06:01 PM #35 of 55
Certainly stands to reason. By this point, the snide nature of "e-threats" is responded with the equally snide nature of a dismissal.
So this means, like, I could send e-mails to people telling them I'm going to rape their children, shoot their wife, and burn their parents' house down and they shouldn't take it as some sort of threat? It must be nice living in your own little world.

Quote:
Lather, rinse, repeat - though it stands to reason that people who need to point out the obvious lame nature of internet threats could only be as lame as the threat it's self.
I wasn't pointing out the lameness of your threat, I was pointing out the seeming contradiction in calling something stupid on the internet while throwing in lame insults over the internet. But this required combining two slightly different trains of thought, so I guess I can see how one could get confused.

Originally Posted by Outlaw
I don't use wikipedia unless I really, really, REALLY have to. Other times I just search for sites using a helpful search engine that are more researched then wikipeadia is. Heck...some fan sites are more creditable then Wikipedia! Personally...I think they should get they're act together and make the site harder to edit like I said.
Sadly, most other websites aren't much more accurate than Wikipedia is (at least in my experience). I've actually found Wikipedia to be a decent starting place for research, using their links to external sites as places for more indepth reading (since often the include .edu or larger reliable websites).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:29 PM #36 of 55
That while yes, there will be errors, overall the self policing style does work for Wikipedia.
I take it you lead the charge in driving the Frankenstein Monster up into the windmill? Mob mentality - might makes right - works for the facts as well?

Oh brave new world, with such putzes in it.

You backpedal any faster, and you're going to fall over.
You misunderstand me and you get corrected, simple as that.

Originally Posted by RR
So this means, like, I could send e-mails to people telling them I'm going to rape their children, shoot their wife, and burn their parents' house down and they shouldn't take it as some sort of threat? It must be nice living in your own little world.
I suppose it depends on the situation, sure. But are you saying you take my threats the same as you would from a criminal? Do you put me in the same niche as Charles Starkweather or something? Is internet talk the same level as a direct threat against one's loved ones?

Originally Posted by RR
Sadly, most other websites aren't much more accurate than Wikipedia is
A point I've failed to elaborate on until you said this. My fault.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 06:33 PM #37 of 55
I suppose it depends on the situation, sure. But are you saying you take my threats the same as you would from a criminal? Do you put me in the same niche as Charles Starkweather or something? Is internet talk the same level as a direct threat against one's loved ones?
Well, according to your world, the person doing the non-threating isn't a criminal (since, you know, they haven't done the act before), what reason would there be to take it seriously since it's done online?

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:09 PM #38 of 55
Well, according to your world, the person doing the non-threating isn't a criminal (since, you know, they haven't done the act before), what reason would there be to take it seriously since it's done online?
Well, you run the risk of having a barratrous claim against another person simply because they told you to shut up in a very dark manner. Obviously, one could file harassment, I suppose - but that would only do well if these were towards a person directly like e-mail, Instant Messenger, snail mail and only if such things were done repeatedly.

I'm sure theres also another layer entirely that would involve things like evidence and any number of Computer Crimes Act that I don't know about.

However, what it boils down to is pretty much someone bumping into you and them saying "Fuck off". Is that worth dragging out?

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Aug 1, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 10:56 PM #39 of 55
Sadly, most other websites aren't much more accurate than Wikipedia is (at least in my experience). I've actually found Wikipedia to be a decent starting place for research, using their links to external sites as places for more indepth reading (since often the include .edu or larger reliable websites).
True, it depends on what you're looking for. I also go there for the outside links. Some of them are actualy pretty good and it saves time rather then going through a million sites looking for one particular subject...espcially if you're short on time and need to double check something. But most of the time if you're using the Wikipedia entries and the entries only without checking out other sites...then how can you say all the info you used is 100% accurate? And alot of people happen to do just that....that's what I'm trying to say....

FELIPE NO
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:17 PM #40 of 55
In a better world, I'd be given the power to string you up by your neck for being a traitor to your better man.

"Boy, this source doesn't have what I want - but THIS DOES! Obviously my opinion is correct!" is about as fucking stupid a point as a person can make. Isn't this why we have MANY books instead of living with a single source? Isn't this why we have things like libraries instead of the soapbox mentality of the internet?
You take this whole internet argument thing way too seriously. This wasn't even a real argument, just a lively conversation; there certainly was no reason to flame anyone.

All I said is I disagreed with Acid because for some subjects, namely chemistry and biology, Wikipedia is a far more complete source of information than other encyclopedias which may be taken to be more reliable.

That's it. No reason to cry a river or threaten genocide.

Quote:
Where do you live, boy? I want to call your hometown and complain about your obvious lack of education.
That's just childish.

POLO!
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:30 PM #41 of 55
Originally Posted by gukarma
You take this whole internet argument thing way too seriously. This wasn't even a real argument, just a lively conversation; there certainly was no reason to flame anyone.
Since when is pointing out the obvious flaw in someone's supposed logic flaming? Does that mean correcting someone is trolling? It sounds more like you're too afraid to step on toes for fear of the person's reaction.

Look, boy wonder, I corrected him on his obviously limited, naive point of view. If you want to question me on that, do it. Otherwise, kindly stick your nose somewhere else because this part of the conversation is over with.

Wikipedia is a far more complete source of information than other encyclopedias which may be taken to be more reliable.
Even acid said it cannot be quantified that any number of people - be it 1 or 13,000 - are qualified to post anything about any subject. I suggest you watch the Youtube link I posted earlier, as it demonstrates my point better than I have.

That's just childish.
So, according to your earlier statement, you're now flaming me.

Which is it? I don't have time for this nonsense.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 01:38 PM #42 of 55
Since when is pointing out the obvious flaw in someone's supposed logic flaming? Does that mean correcting someone is trolling? It sounds more like you're too afraid to step on toes for fear of the person's reaction.
Pointing out the flaws in an argument isn't flaming; I didn't call it that. I called your threat to hang me a flame.

I just thought it was interesting that you armed yourself to the teeth as if to defend the universal truth of wikipedia's sucking or something. Saying that wikipedia is good seems to be a direct attack to your morals or something.

I don't give a shit, I said wikipedia is better than most other encyclopedias for chemistry and biology, and that's that. Take it or leave it.

Quote:
Which is it? I don't have time for this nonsense.
You obviously do since your post average is close to 10 posts per day.

POLO!
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 02:14 PM #43 of 55
Pointing out the flaws in an argument isn't flaming; I didn't call it that. I called your threat to hang me a flame.
...Because... I pointed out the flaws in your arguement?

I mean, you're complaining about how I phrased part of my post. Way to avoid the entire point of the post simply because I said something that - SHOCK! - made you react!

I just thought it was interesting that you armed yourself to the teeth as if to defend the universal truth of wikipedia's sucking or something. Saying that wikipedia is good seems to be a direct attack to your morals or something.
I'm sorry if I react badly to things that are obviously stupid. If you would, please go out and make the world LESS STUPID. This will allow me to be more relaxed.

I don't give a shit
You obviously do - you're replying again.

I said wikipedia is better than most other encyclopedias for chemistry and biology, and that's that.
Your opinion doesn't mean shit to anyone other than yourself. You've not said anything to prove any point of how your personal certification validates anything, let alone the cesspool that is Wikipedia. You've proven nothing to anyone other than being full of yourself. "I said it's this way and thats that" is nothing more than beating your chest and putting your head in the sand. Basically, you're trolling your opinion in a lame attempt to feign intelligence.

Go do it somewhere else and stop befouling the internet.

You obviously do since your post average is close to 10 posts per day.
"Oh wow! He make lots of posts! This makes my hollow claims about nothing completely factual!"

Most amazing jew boots
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 04:40 PM #44 of 55
Whatever. You win at the internet.

Happy now?

POLO!
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 05:30 PM #45 of 55
Even acid said it cannot be quantified that any number of people - be it 1 or 13,000 - are qualified to post anything about any subject. I suggest you watch the Youtube link I posted earlier, as it demonstrates my point better than I have.
Doesn't the Colbert Report clip just verify that incorrect things on Wikipedia will be reverted to their correct form by one of the numerous wikinazis that live there (in case you hadn't heard, the page on Elephants was locked a little later to prevent vandalism)?

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 08:23 PM #46 of 55
(in case you hadn't heard, the page on Elephants was locked a little later to prevent vandalism)?
So why don't they do that for every entry, as its prone to the same thing?

(Also - sorry for the delay, I assumed this thread was as dead as a Kennedy girlfriend)

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:19 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 10:19 PM #47 of 55
Reviving an old thread because I've been away for a long time.

They don't lock every subject because it's not being vandalized by people. What you're asking is kinda like wondering why we just don't close every thread here after it's made to prevent trolling.

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:10 AM #48 of 55
They don't lock every subject because it's not being vandalized by people.
Given that Wikis are suppose to be a source of information, it certainly should be locked out because the best place to hide a lie is between two truths. I don't know about you but I don't know the exact details of, say, the Battle Of The Bulge but for all I know the Wiki "open door" policy allows someone to step in and make a minute change, even if it isn't based on fact. You can't tell me that the supposed staff on Wikipedia sees everything that happens.

What you're asking is kinda like wondering why we just don't close every thread here after it's made to prevent trolling.
GFF doesn't claim to be a source of anything though. It's not like people come here to learn something and possibly be lied to.

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:32 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 10:32 PM #49 of 55
Quote:
So why don't they do that for every entry, as its prone to the same thing?
Because then the thing may as well be a hardcover edition-bound product in 499485565575 volumes, by the time it takes to create and update content.

'LeHah we're all happy with this compromise between accuracy and flexibility, it is sensible/statistically proven'

'BUT FAGGOTS STILL HAVE ACCESS'

'But that's okay, their capacity for fucking shit up is still very sma--'

'BUT THE FAGGOTS, THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE ON THE INTERNET GOD THE INTERNET IF FULL OF FAGGOTS'

one, two, one, two, etc.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:37 AM #50 of 55
Originally Posted by Cal
one, two, one, two, etc.
I agree with this part of your post Cal - as well, as the FAGGOTS part. I had hoped that everyone forgot about this thread and moved on as I did, but leave it to RR to pull an Indiana Jones and dig this shit up.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Ken Lay Dead; Wikipedia Confused