Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Occupy

LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:21 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2011, 10:21 AM #1 of 73
Man, I keep seeing this talking point being dragged out and I straight up don't get it. Who is being "punished" by a bunch of down-on-their-luck folks camping out somewhere? Geez, did their crushing poverty and hopelessness fucking inconvenience somebody?
I really don't have much of an opinion about the occupy events, except when it comes to this. You see, Wall St isn't the only place this is happening. There are Occupy events happening all over the US, including in Portland, where I live. There are two problems with this:

1) Portland is already a pretty liberal 'mom and pop' 'no corporations' kinda town. There's some big companies here, but they're all community friendly (NIKE donates a lot). We also have a ton of credit unions here and the big banks are actually quite outnumbered.

2) I have no problem with protests in and of themselves, until they block traffic for people who are just trying to get by and live their lives. This is why I quoted Pang, because the people who get punished are the ones who are just going about day to day life. I'm fine if the protesters want to block the parking structure for the people they're protesting, but in Portland, they decided to block off Main St, preventing traffic from getting through at all. Kudos to Portland Police for not taking action until they got word from City Hall about it, but still.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:52 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2011, 06:52 AM #2 of 73
You're seriously going to use NIKE as an example of "one of the good ones"? Yeah, they donate. Most corporations throw donations at things a few times a year at the expense of .00000001% of their profits for the express reason that people then buy into the notion that they're a good corporation. Then they go back to paying some kid in China 3 cents an hour.

Look, I'm sorry that people that don't consider themselves villains are being inconvenienced, but as Lurker pointed out we're all effectively complicit in the way things have gone up to this point. I'm sorry if some people end up being late to work a few times, but it's necessary to present an inconvenience if you want people to pay attention. Fenced-in free speech zones in the park aren't going to cut it.
Nike has provided a ton of jobs and has given a ton of donations and community service to the Portland area. They're one of the biggest helpers of the community out here. They're also one of the few who have listened to people's complaints about horrible work environments for overseas workers in their shops and tend to provide better environments for said workers than other companies.

It isn't just 'some' people who are inconvenienced by this. Main street is a major hub road for the downtown area. The protesters putting up barricades prevents people who are just scraping by from getting to their jobs. The very people the protesters are fighting for are getting screwed by it. Not only that, but it forces our mass transit system, a system these protesters rely on quite heavily, to reroute, cause delays, etc.

Once again, they don't have to remain in a fenced in area, but blocking a major artery in a downtown metro area that, to be quite honest, is almost on par with what they're fighting for in the first place seems pretty silly. On top of that, out of all the occupy groups, Portland has one of the highest concentration of people. Most Occupy groups are ~1000 people. We're ranging about ~5-6k. Thats crazy for a town that is more set towards what the protesters want than nearly any other town in the country.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka

Tags
dream team of lawyers, fuck the poor, it's gon' rain money, itt: the red scare, sheek

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Occupy