Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Occupy

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:59 PM 4 #1 of 73
It's all well and good to be all at Wall St. But punishing everyone else, most of who are also just trying to get by, is not cool. So I guess they need to target better.
Man, I keep seeing this talking point being dragged out and I straight up don't get it. Who is being "punished" by a bunch of down-on-their-luck folks camping out somewhere? Geez, did their crushing poverty and hopelessness fucking inconvenience somebody?

Wasn't it some goon in New York complaining that people "scraping by on $50,000 a year" were the ones really being hurt by the occupation? These people are so divorced from the reality of common people that they have no idea how to even appear sympathetic outside their own little subculture.

Also, why are kids who tried to get an education automatically less sympathetic? Would it somehow be a BETTER sign for the future of the nation if a generation of young people could not find some way to be productive? Oh, it's JUST THE YOUTH that are hopeless. Well that's okay then.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:06 PM #2 of 73
So, literally, you're ok with protestors provided all of them are already starving and they don't actually bring any attention to themselves. Hypothetically, where should these protests be held such that they will only inconvenience multimillionaires specifically?

Quote:
some guy who's trying to get to his job and has to suffer through 3 hours of a traffic jam because protesters shut down a bridge has very little to do with investment bankers ruining the economy
Actually I would argue that if certain people actually paid their taxes then state and fed governments might actually have enough money to do upkeep on road infrastructure and um theoretically build new roads and relieve traffic congestion which has increased as a problem nationwide over the course of decades regardless of the presence or absence of filthy hippie rabblerousers?

Painting these people as entitled or "basket-weavers" is the worst kind of shameful victim-blaming. People with law degrees can't find work. Is law school suddenly one of the frou-frou joke educational paths along with comparative lit and art history now? There are, in pure numbers, far more unemployed people than there are job openings. No amount of WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PLUMBER will make that go away. There are literally millions of people who are chronically unemployed because a job in which they might theoretically be placed does not exist. People seem not to be aware of this. No potential series of Correctly Made Decisions would have employed these people; there are, straight up, not enough seats for all these butts.

Meanwhile many of the available seats that do exist remain empty because hiring departments are staffed with risk-averse cockfucks even when the economy isn't circling the drain.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:59 PM #3 of 73
please come up with a mission statement before you expect me to stand behind you.
It would be nice, sure, if Paulites, hemp experts, and nuclear chicken littles weren't trying to co-opt this thing for themselves but that's kind of their deal. You can no more drive them away than you can get rid of Lyndon LaRouche, and buying into the media narrative that the whole thing is scatterbrained and totally aimless just because the usual suspects are present is silly. Yes, it's somewhat chaotic and headless, but this is by design. Nobody's in charge of this thing (officially, anyway) so how is anybody supposed to issue Official Demands?

By all means, why not hang out until they hash out something concrete? They have nothing better to do; that's the essence of their malaise. They've got plenty of time to work it through. The Big Tent is a strength.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:10 PM 1 #4 of 73
1) Portland is already a pretty liberal 'mom and pop' 'no corporations' kinda town. There's some big companies here, but they're all community friendly (NIKE donates a lot).
You're seriously going to use NIKE as an example of "one of the good ones"? Yeah, they donate. Most corporations throw donations at things a few times a year at the expense of .00000001% of their profits for the express reason that people then buy into the notion that they're a good corporation. Then they go back to paying some kid in China 3 cents an hour.

Look, I'm sorry that people that don't consider themselves villains are being inconvenienced, but as Lurker pointed out we're all effectively complicit in the way things have gone up to this point. I'm sorry if some people end up being late to work a few times, but it's necessary to present an inconvenience if you want people to pay attention. Fenced-in free speech zones in the park aren't going to cut it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:03 PM #5 of 73
eventually market forces will balance things out
Shin, I know you're doing pretty well for yourself but this in itself does not make "The Market" a benevolent nature spirit that fixes all problems. You're being significantly more naive about economics than Radez, which is more impressive than I can really convey in words.

Additional Spam:
The middle class in the States has been waiting about 30 years for "The Market" to kick in and make everything magical sunshine again. It's a stubborn little thing, that Market.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Oct 14, 2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:42 PM 6 #6 of 73
I think we can put this down to the intense stupidity that immediately affects any human who enters the physical confines of a "business school".

Additional Spam:
And let's face it nobody gets an MBA because they want to do something useful for the world, I'm okay with these students being protested if nobody else is handy

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Oct 23, 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:17 PM 5 #7 of 73
See, the problem with appointing a quote-unquote "leader" is that then the leader becomes a target. It's all fine to lionize Dr. King but let's not forget that some asshole shot him precisely because he was an identifiable leader of a movement threatening to upset the status quo. That's the part of the whole CIVIL RIGHTS GLORIOUS SUCCESS STORY everybody kind of mumbles over.

Am I suggesting that whatever random leader you decide to designate (really, just pick whoever) is going to have an "unfortunate accident"? No, but I think we're all smart enough to understand how much easier it is to destroy one man's reputation than the reputations of thousands.

(And, of course, when you designate someone the "leader" of a group you get to dismiss everyone else's agency since they're all just followers now don't you know.)

Maybe if the Occupy folks had a single (or at most, two or three) CLEAR goals (I no longer know what exactly the Occupy movement stands for)
At this point I just have to assume some of you motherfuckers are either willfully ignorant or just straight-up deaf.

Here, look. The way modern government is in bed with corporate capital is straight-up awful. Ok? Is this a succinct enough sound bite for you? If it helps, imagine a picture of that and there's a cat in the picture and the cat is going "DO NOT WANT". That is, in essence, their function. To complain. This is not a picturesque process but it is necessary because if no one talks about it then it doesn't fucking change.

Evicting people from parks isn't the "death knell" of jack shit. Oh no we'll have to go and be loud and cantankerous somewhere else! Surely you have slain the dragon this time, brave officers.

V 2011 and people are still scared of "communists" and "anarchists". srsly wut

FELIPE NO

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Nov 15, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:18 PM 1 #8 of 73
bitching and complaining, by itself, doesn't get anything done. It's the start of something, but there needs to be more happening than just bitching.
I don't think anyone's disputing that, and I don't think anyone is claiming that bitching in and of itself is accomplishing anything. The point is to make people aware of the problems, to disseminate information, and to make the cause part of the national conversation.

What do you expect them to do instead? By definition these people are largely powerless. That is the essence of their complaint. I suppose if the entire mass of protestors across the country threw their funds together, they might have enough money to get one representative elected.

Quote:
He talked about how he can't understand how the Occupy movement is being called a bunch of heroes for civil rights, while the Tea Party has been demonized as a bunch of racist ignorant hicks.
In fairness, a significant part of the Tea Party has essentially the same complaints as Occupy does (although somewhat different ideas about how to solve them). In a less partisan world they'd be working together.

(Yes, a proportion of the Tea Party is a clusterfuck of racist hicks, but then a proportion of Occupy is teenage hippies following the crowd. I don't think it's fair to judge either group by their worst members.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:59 PM 3 #9 of 73
"I'm a huge raging cunt" moved to 12:30, replaced by Knight Rider reruns

Additional Spam:
rarely have I seen a post with so many implicit bitcoins

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Aug 21, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.

Tags
dream team of lawyers, fuck the poor, it's gon' rain money, itt: the red scare, sheek

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Occupy