Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Problems with RAID0?

rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:24 AM #1 of 9
Problems with RAID0?

This is my first time setting up RAID0, so I was wondering if my experience was like others.
RAID array setup was fine, although the XP install was a tad slower than expected.

I boot into Windows MCE fine (Media Center Edition), but the install for WoW took almost 45 minutes for a mere 5GB of data. Not to mention I can't run more than one application or else one of my hard drives will click and crap out on me.

Strangley I can run WoW fine, runs great, but once I ALT+TAB to start multitasking the computer just locks up.

I don't know what is wrong... the hardware? Compatibility? And I have no idea where to start in order to diagnose this issue.

Can anyone suggest anything?

PC STATS:
Shuttle SN27P2
2x Western Digital 160gb 7200rpm 16mb cache in RAID0
2x 1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
AMD X2 4200+ Socket AM2
PNY Geforce 7600GT
ATI Theatre Ecstasy 550 tuner card

How ya doing, buddy?
Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:43 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 05:43 PM #2 of 9
How did you set up the RAID in the first place? Was it done via the motherboard setting it up?

If that's the case, did you install the RAID drivers during the installation process of Windows?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:51 AM #3 of 9
Quote:
one of my hard drives will click and crap out on me.
Universal sign that your HD's death is imminent. And when it dies you lose everything. Which is why you don't use RAID0. Performance Gains == Null, Damage Potential == High^4

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:55 AM #4 of 9
Originally Posted by Yume
How did you set up the RAID in the first place? Was it done via the motherboard setting it up?

If that's the case, did you install the RAID drivers during the installation process of Windows?
The correct route. Enabled RAID, then set up the array in striped. Inserted my MCE cd and hit F6 on the install screen, loaded the drivers off the floppy, then proceeded with install.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:04 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 08:04 PM #5 of 9
As I always do when I see people doing this, I will tell you: DON'T.

RAID0 is dangerous and offers negligible benefit for everyday computing. Unless you're having to stream large files in realtime (a la capturing raw HD video or working with many streams of compressed HD), there is no reason to run RAID0. The likelihood of data loss doubles. If you really want RAID, get a decent controller and three drives and do RAID5. Performance goes up and you don't sacrifice your data's integrity.

And yes, your current troubles sound like either bad drivers or imminent hard drive death.

I was speaking idiomatically.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Forsakenzoul
Many Times Reborn

Member 2221

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 07:37 AM #6 of 9
i know this thread is kinda old but i just have to speak in favor of RAID 0 set ups. I have 2x36.7GB Raptors on RAID 0 for a long time. i got the drives like 2+ ago and i have gone through 2 computer set ups with them and tons of complete formats (i do one every so often) and nothing is wrong with it.

Now if you still haven't figured the problem out, what controller does the motherboard have?? If you find out you can download new drivers for it. And maybe it could be power shotage. Never had a shuttle so i dont know what PSU they have and what they can take.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
NudeNinja
Carob Nut

Member 2379

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 05:11 PM #7 of 9
I use a Raid0 setup without incident as well. I use 2 74gb wd hd's in raid0 in my PC that is on 24/7 and they haven't had any problems.

Well when I first set up my machine the SATA cable was loose and I lost the array twice, but since I fixed that I've been fine.

RAID 0 setup users should back up the drives regularly. I have a 250gb hard drive that runs a backup of my main drives every morning at 5am, and I also store all my setup programs on there as well.

FELIPE NO
Forsakenzoul
Many Times Reborn

Member 2221

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:40 PM #8 of 9
when the SATA cable comes off just replug it to the SATA port you had it originally you go to rebuild the raid and it will say if you want to restor the one that was already made and you get everything back the way it was, nothing lost. i tried this with the intel controller and the Sillicon one so yeah.

Most amazing jew boots
Retriever II
Syklis Green

Member 4083

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2006, 08:34 PM #9 of 9
Yeah, a clicking drive is pretty much the last thing I want to hear, especially from a Western Digital (several bad experiences of this kind). If the drive doesn't flat out die, it still does the trick to hang Windows. Personally I avoid RAID 0 for the aforementioned reasons - there's more liability than reliability in that setup, and you won't always get a warning sign from a dying drive. I'd take the redundancy of RAID 1 any day.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Problems with RAID0?