Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 11:22 PM #1 of 352
Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

I have been wanting to make this thread for a while. It'll just cover movies I had seen over the past week or a couple of days apart. My rental status allows me to do this with at least 4 movies a week and on occasion I'll catch one on cable.

Anyway I know several of us have netflix accounts and had been watching movies every now and then. I'd love to hear you guys and your comments about movies you had seen, not necessarily have to rate them or something, just your casual initial thoughts! Kinda like a journal on what you had seen.

I'll go ahead and start.

Last week:

The Red Shoes Queued this just for catch all asian horror when I was queuing up a bunch. I was disappointed. Its not what I thought it'd be and had it on 1.5x the whole time. I'm sure atmosphere helps some but meh. Do recommend for catch all asian horror but not that recommended at the moment.

La Mujer de Mi Hermano Recommended by a friend, good romance drama movie with spanish origin in a rich lifestyle setting. I liked it quite a bit, but I wasn't into romance dramas though. She's hot as hell though! Guys might enjoy this. Do not let that cover sway you, she's better looking than that.

(500) Days of Summer GAF fucking hype. I keep seeing references to this movie and I thought I bump it up and watch it finally. I shouldn't have hyped myself for this AND MOST especially watched this AFTER Brick. Whereas Gorden-Levitt was awesome in. He was such a pussy in this movie. I was so sad. Good movie though, just different take on relationships and stuff.

From Within Yeah, that's right, took me a minute to remember why I queued this. I browsing Netflix and saw a review that gave this movie 5 stars and I'm like what the hell, its unheard of kind of movie and I read it. It spoilered the first 5 minutes and its accurate to say the whole movie pretty much works itself out like that too. I agreed especially at the end when it was so satisfying on par with level of like Drag Me to Hell.

Next Week Preview: DEADWOOD SEASON 1.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:49 AM #2 of 352
Ooh, its been a month already? LOL. Totally forgot about this thread. Ah well. Its time to update my silly movie backlog.
Spoiler:

War of Worlds - Tom Cruise's, happen to see this on cable. Skills did me a huge favor telling me to NOT waste a rental on this. He was fucking right. Excellent graphics. But THAT WAS IT. The rest is just awkward trash. What the hell, spielburg?

Lucky Number Slevin - Bruce Willis was an interesting character in this movie although he didn't say/do much. Its mostly that annoying Josh Hartnett, and I really like how the second half of the movie took a real serious downer sort of turn oppose to "slapstick" comedy in the first half. Was that just me or that's just how it went down?

Thumbsucker - There's not a whole lot of thumbsucking in this like I'd thought to be seeing. And that's a good thing. Sort of. But its mostly about family/school dynamics from a confused teen. Another fucking teen movie but hey, Tilda Swinton is in this. I also still like D'Onofrio no matter what he does. And that idiotic Keanu is in there too, that if you seriously HATE him, then put this movie in your avoid list. LOL

Elizabethtown - Orlando Bloom, LotR's elf. Not sure why I queued this. But as soon as Dunst entered the picture, I cringed. I despise her but her character somewhat grew on me in this movie SOMEHOW. Its not a love story, but a character development/journey as the blurb/cover wasn't making it out to be.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - I queued this due to the bandwagoning somewhere and lol I absolutely find myself loving Downey Jr so much more after this. Excellent noir "slapstick". I should say that the slapstick is light but still, they found time to have fun! Which is why I loved this movie, its excellent fun to watch.

Everything Is Illuminated - I like artsy fartsy sort of movies and the cover caught my eye. The blurb for this movie also caught my fancy too and decided to check it out. I wasn't disappointed by what it is and a bit touching drama added too. The dynamic between the characters were amusing and sweet.

Tsotsi - South Africa filmed location. Awesome first for me I think, and I liked the dynamics between the characters. Cannot tell if it was genuine or it was the culture there which is still a plus, I'd learn something new anyway. The ending was rather disappointing though. Not the "right" thing he did, but rather the whole surrendering of it. :\

Stay - This is a movie that surprised me and much more so pleasantly. That stupid blurb/cover does not even do this movie justice. I highly recommended it to Kyndig for this movie. He likes movies where your mind bends you into thinking about life and death sort of stuff. Ya know, conflict between yourself. He better fucking queue it already. But yeah, I really loved the music at the end sequence and it was just surreal experience afterall. One of those random gems I happen to find and enjoy. It was creepy, shocking, sweet and riveting at the same time. I don't even know how that's even possible but yeah. Ryan Gosling made this movie for me.

Good Night, and Good Luck - Bandwagon queue and imagine my surprise, George Clooney as a director and an actor in this. But mostly about David Strathairn and his good portrayal of Edward Murrow. I did liked how well versed Murrow was, I didn't know about this bit of history and it was a nice watch.

Creep - Shin's recommendation I think. And I apologize, this movie BLOWS. I did like the suspense/location at first, but they fucking showed that freakshow all too soon and it just dragged ON and ON for the next hour and in particular the 20 minutes before the ending sequence. >.<

Voice - Asian horror, and I was disappointed by my prediction that they'll pull a "hero is the villan!" twist. Ah well, it was meh at best.

The Quiet - I don't even know how to describe this movie. Spoiler AHOY. Incest, awkward family dynamic, teenagers and their sexual repressive confessions, deaf/mute isolation, and what looks like lesbian action tease too. Oh and a murder.

King Kong - Jackson's version and I did NOT like how they tried to put so much emphasis on the relationship between the darn ape and the blonde woman. >.< Even the death-defying adventures in the jungle seemed met with awkwardness when they couldn't fathom at how many had died amongst of them. Their running away/with the brontosaurs were hilarious enough.

Three ... Extremes - Again, asian horror but in 3 small 40 minute segments. I liked this somewhat and added a bit of interesting movie palette I suppose.

Deadwood S1 - Great show, and Swearengen is awesome. His name pretty much fits. xD

To be seen next week; Narc, The Squid and the Whale, and Junebug.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:57 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2010, 08:57 PM #3 of 352
I was randomly flipping channels last night and came across this movie called Deep End on Turner Classic Movies. I missed about the first 20 minutes or so of it, but I was still intrigued enough by what I saw to keep watching until the end. It was definitely an enjoyable film (definitely didn't see that ending coming), and I'd definitely consider picking it up on DVD so I can watch the whole thing (it's currently not officially available on DVD (though there are some bootlegs), but there is a company working to remaster it and they do have plans to release an official DVD sometime in the future).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:35 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2010, 06:35 AM #4 of 352
I've been watching stuff like crazy recently.

Things I've recently really enjoyed:

Lost S6 - Not much I can say that hasn't been said already: Awesome show, still not sure if I liked the ending, but it doesn't destroy all the entertainment the show had already provided to me.

True Blood - I got into this show in the last 6 months or so, and it's really, really good. From the way it's popularity is keeping up, this could easily become bigger than the Sopranos for HBO, and there's plenty of material to keep things going, so this will hopefully stick around for a long time.

Rifftrax - Basically MST3k with movies I give a shit about. Some of these are ridiculously funny, with Troll 2 and Twilight being tied for how hilarious they are. They seem to get better the more recently they made the track, like Harry Potter 4 being much funnier than Harry Potter 1 and 2, but Paranormal Activity was surprisingly dull, so it's not foolproof.

Fringe - Started watching this after Lost ended, since J.J. Abrams was the creator, I figured it would be good. It is, but I've seen it before with The X-Files. If it didn't have the completely crazy Walter Bishop, I probably would have lost interest.

Daybreakers - Much better than I expected from the ads. The movie was based on a really interesting premise and, for the most part, delivered. Vampires are awesome when done right.

24 S8 - 24 once again seems to follow the cycle I noticed back in S5, and seemed to be confirmed in S6, where they make a two good seasons (S1,S2; S4,S5; S7,S8) and then make a crappy season (S3,S6). While I don't like that 24 is over, I'm happy that it ended on this season as, if my theory continued to hold up, S9 would have also been shitty. Season 8 was the best season since S5, and I'm debating it's overall place in how good it was (S4 was second best for sure, then S1, but I'm not sure if I liked it more than S2 or S7). I'm disappointed it they announced the movie before the series ended, as I would have liked to been thinking they might actually kill Jack this season, but even as it was, things were great.

Gonna watch The Book of Eli soon and am in the process of watching Breaking Bad S3, so I'll update soon on that stuff.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2010, 08:02 AM #5 of 352
I watched a good movie last night to make an update!

Spoiler:
Narc - Kyndig's recommendation, and he's right, that's mentally fucked up at the very end. Zooming on that tape recorder is like how maddening is that. The ending definitely does left behind a bigger impression than the whole movie.

The Squid and the Whale - I laughed at this. It supposed to be taken seriously about a couple divorcing and its aftereffects on their kids (which is still fucked up but lolworthy). Whatever, I had seen kids go through worse than that and still don't do that stupid shit.

Junebug - Okay, I must confess, I'm from the south and Amy McAdam doesn't bother me at all, she was a precious character. And the whole movie really depict the south and I enjoyed it somewhat. Mostly the home feel, making me feel nostalgic for home. And yeah, being to my friends' houses and such, all this movie just brings it to home about the details.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Tails and Q's recommendation I believe. Its nice and sweet. Just as about I expected from an anime movie. I did find myself being irritated by the main girl, and wanted her to just "grow a pair". xD

Timecrimes (Los Cronocrímenes) - This is the best "time travel and their consequences" movie I had ever seen. I thought Primer tops it but I was so wrong. Highly recommend it guys! Referred by GAF when everyone was gushing about Primer, and repeatedly several members referred to this movie being so much better.

On Hulu
The Gates Pilot - Vamp/werewolves/demons/witches in a gated community? Sign me up! The pilot was alright, I'll definitely give this season a try.

The Scoundrels Pilot - So and so, a family trying to go straight after being a family of "scoundrels" for so long. The brunette has an interesting plot that I'd love to read more into. The rest can just go to the bin.

Persons Unknown first 4 episodes - Thought the premise was interesting, but then after the second episode, I get the feeling that they're riding on the LOST fame here. :\ I was disappointed and was hoping better. I do like Moira's side plot, she proves to be an interesting character out of all of them.

To be seen next week - The Butterfly, The Fall, and Clerks 2

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Philia; Jul 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:34 AM #6 of 352
Netflix coming to Canada

Congrats you silly canadians, about time you guys join me here! Now they would fucking implement subs/cc into their streaming like HULU already, it'd be 100% more awesome.

As for what I had seen recently, its not much or all that noteworthy. But I'll mention them anyway.

Spoiler:
The Butterfly - French movie about a old man and a little girl hunting for a rare butterfly. Its a sweet movie and the landscape they trekked through was pretty awesome. Mostly about their budding relationship (innocent I swear!) as they went about.

The Fall - This movie is uh weird. I queued this because I kept hearing about it and that it defied all sorts of cinematography locations or something. On the locations yes, its all sorts of spectacular! The story involving the little girl and crippled dude unfolding was pretty neat. But most of the movie was taking place within the fable that dude was telling the little girl. Exotic locations, set ups, foreign attire, surreal backdrops. Especially in that one large town where most of the buildings were painted blue in stark contrast with their white neighbors. Its a pretty movie. And the surprise at the end was bittersweet.

Clerks 2 - I had great memories of the first one and yet somehow, it took me a decade to watch this one and the theme fits. The recurring characters came back 10 years later on this movie and they're still at their old selves and it gave me an old blanket feel. The part where they went to the kart track somewhat hit home for me too. Its the same shit I'd do even at that age and his reasoning behind it resonated with me too. Good movie, bad humor, but still amusing.

Origin: Spirits of the Past - It starts out interesting and pretty good, but then the last half of it just turned into something else I didn't like. Hamfisting a "return to earth" theme is pretty obvious and I noticed right away the quality of the anime fell off from there too. Its okay but not recommended.

Crazy Eights - LOL whenever I had a bad feeling about a movie, I put it in the ps3 and let it run on 1.5x. But yes, it was that painfully slow and its just bad overall. The plot doesn't even make sense, the characters were horribly bland. BAD BAD B movie. Shame on you.

The Science of Sleep - This is the best I had seen Gael García Bernal in (so far). He was just great. His attitude was somehow believable even in his dreamlike state, and he was intoxicating to watch. But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see him and especially more so after Paco's recommendations had set me up with several of his older works previously.

Feast - Oooh, this was the Greenlight project. LOL, I queued this because I like survival horror. Its not bad, there's some dumb laughs, but I find myself wondering what the hell was the director was thinking at with some of these scenes. IE monster's penis castration.

To be seen this week: The Messengers, Superman Returns, and Pulse.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:49 PM #7 of 352
Thanks to no sports and no good tv, I've been plowing through movies like there's no tomorrow. Let's see if I can remember what I've watched recently.

Django- Not a huge fan of westerns but always a fan of bad asses, and Django fits that mold nicely. Man in black dragging a coffin along behind him able to drop anyone with his pistol.

Event Horizon- Finally checked that out after everyone saying how freaky and scary it is. I was unmoved, decent horror, but certainly not Nightmare Fuel of any high octane variety. Maybe Pandorum will serve better...

The Messenger- Like the Hurt Locker before it, a solid, well made, if politically safe (not a bad thing, mind) movie. Certainly a suck job worth highlighting and recognizing. Also indeed a solid performance by Woody, who despite being easy to ridicule is routinely strong in his movies.

Repo Men- Almost every element could be tied to some other movie, so not entirely original but an entertaining flick if nothing else. Surprisingly, Jude Law works rather well as an action dude.

Big Fan- Strong performance by Patton but a weak and unsympathetic character makes the movie hard to get behind.

Unthinkable- Sam Jackson does some of his standard shout acting while interrogating a terrorist in ways that make Jack Bauer look downright passive. Carrie Ann Moss serves well as the films moral center torn between the potential to save millions vs the utter destruction of one human's civil rights.

Hachiko- A based on a true story of a dog's loyalty to his master, starring Richard Gere who I normally avoid. Now I do not cry at films as a general rule, I may tighten up from time to time, Iron Giant, Finding Neverland, and maybe a couple others but tears just don't happen. The last 20 minutes or so, let's just say I'm glad I was watching this alone on my couch tears flowing. What can I say, dogs are super-effective against me.

There are more, but I've gone on long enough, I'll pile some of the other stuff into a future update. Considering I'm watching about two movies a night these days that may come sooner than later.

FELIPE NO
"Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day"
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls down of course."
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:53 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2010, 10:53 PM #8 of 352
Repo Men- Almost every element could be tied to some other movie, so not entirely original but an entertaining flick if nothing else. Surprisingly, Jude Law works rather well as an action dude.
Tied to? The movie is a less inventive, far inferior version of REPO.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:15 AM #9 of 352
Tied to? The movie is a less inventive, far inferior version of REPO.
Yes that's the most obvious since the plot is nigh identical, but it also takes a very strong cue from Brazil and some aesthetics from Blade Runner, among other things as well. Also it scores over Repo at least in so far as not featuring Paris Hilton. Like I said, original no, entertaining action flick, certainly.

How ya doing, buddy?
"Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day"
"And are you?"
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:21 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2010, 11:21 PM #10 of 352
Yes that's the most obvious since the plot is nigh identical, but it also takes a very strong cue from Brazil and some aesthetics from Blade Runner, among other things as well. Also it scores over Repo at least in so far as not featuring Paris Hilton. Like I said, original no, entertaining action flick, certainly.
If by aesthetics from blade runner you mean also influenced by german expressionism, sure. In that sense I suppose Equilibrium and Dark City are heavily influenced by Blade Runner, too.

Original, no. Entertaining action flick, no. Rubbish, start to finish.

You said yourself almost every element could be tied to other films, but the thing is every element can be tied to far superior films that used every element better and in a more clever manner. This movie is about as entertaining as having your balls gnawed on by a badger whilst someone reads Twilight aloud and shows you slides of their last Dan Brown-themed holiday.

I'm not wanting to turn this into a which of us has the bigger film dick competition, or saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I'm just baffled by it. I think you're the first person I've heard give this movie a positive word. And seeing as how you clearly like some decent cinema, I'm shocked by the deviation.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Mighty Tor
Carob Nut

Member 36109

Level 3.73

Jul 2010

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:39 AM #11 of 352
If by aesthetics from blade runner you mean also influenced by german expressionism, sure. In that sense I suppose Equilibrium and Dark City are heavily influenced by Blade Runner, too.

Original, no. Entertaining action flick, no. Rubbish, start to finish.

You said yourself almost every element could be tied to other films, but the thing is every element can be tied to far superior films that used every element better and in a more clever manner. This movie is about as entertaining as having your balls gnawed on by a badger whilst someone reads Twilight aloud and shows you slides of their last Dan Brown-themed holiday.

I'm not wanting to turn this into a which of us has the bigger film dick competition, or saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I'm just baffled by it. I think you're the first person I've heard give this movie a positive word. And seeing as how you clearly like some decent cinema, I'm shocked by the deviation.
Guess it depends on your expectations going in. I wasn't expecting much out of it. I enjoyed the action sequences, Schreiber was suitably smarmy, the "twist" while not at all unexpected was set up competently enough, and I got a few laughs out of it.

Look I'm not going to put the film on any best of lists but it gave me what I wanted out of it. Certainly watched much worse and/or far more derivative films (Avatar anyone?), if I had to put a number to Repo Men it would be about a 6 out of 10.

In any case I don't think Repo Men is hardly worth this much time or level of debate. I'm sure I'll come up with far more reviled films that I like far more than Repo Men to baffle people with. I mean come on, I absolutely love The Spirit.

"And are you?"
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:42 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2010, 11:42 PM #12 of 352
You know, I didn't hate the Spirit. I've never been able to explain why.

Also, yeah. Right there with you on Fern Gully in 3D.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:39 PM #13 of 352
Spoiler:

Eragon - I thought it started okay (<3 Jeremy Irons) but then, I started to notice how brief most of the scenes that could had been meaningful/with potential were. I realized how bad this would had been if it was coming from a book series. :\ And it was.

Bordertown - J.Lo is in this and its not a bad movie overall. It seems to trying to be like a documentary but her star status and some filler in between made this movie a little awkward. But the plot was pretty solid and at least eye opening at the revealing about trade and how it affects the other side of the fence (literally).

Ghost Rider - I wasn't going to queue this at all because ya know, I knew Nic has some castles to pay off and etc. This may be one of them bad casting decisions but hey, the trailer showed off some stupid eye candy I liked. Its just best to watch this in such dumb down fun. But hey, its Nic Cage!

Special - It advertised with closed captions on netflix. No go. :\

Pulse - Again, what a horrible thing for a director to include a hamfisted message in his movie! I queued this just for Kirsten Bell and she delivers some and some ghost horror but this movie's ending just nearly made me want my two hours back. :\ If they were ripped apart than advertising that stupid nature vs technology debate, I'd be satisfied with that. Politics should have no fucking place in horror. Unless its one of them rules. Like virgins dying first.

Premonition - Queued this sort of at the last minute, I liked Bullock but not in this one. Again, shitty copout ending makes me want my hours back too. It was a great going but later you'd remember some of the consistencies.

Superman Returns - I wasn't a big of a Superman fan but I was a fan of the movies in the 80s and Smallville. This movie was weird, I wasn't sure but confused about the premise. Was it a comeback of Superman or was it redemption of his actions or was it something else altogether with his "family". Kate Bosworth made me cringe and they all kept insisting that she was a miscast and I believe it. She was barely believable as Lois. :\

The Messengers - Oh, Twilight's Kirsten is in this. Again, queued for ghost horror, and it was alright at first but it just sort of dragged focusing mostly on the kid seeing them. I do like the special effects of the ghosts. It wasn't half assed and their (the ghosts) presentation/plot was well done unlike most ghost horror stories I had seen. There was even a nice closure at the end.

To be seen next this week: The Breed, The Break-Up, and Smokin' Aces

Last edited by Philia; Aug 3, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:12 AM #14 of 352
Saw a decent movie recently for an update.

Spoiler:
Stranger than Fiction - Now this is the movie that was surprisingly awesome. Those who went in for Will Ferrell comedy should come away disappointed and I expected this when I went in thankfully. Like Alan Sandler's Punch Drunk Love, this is Will Ferrell's. I loved it quite a bit and definitely became one of those movies that left behind something for whole evening.

Mulberry Street - What a terrible rental, one of those that I wish I can take back! Oh well, I do give it props for the set and interesting thinning cast of characters but lol rat people? xD

The Da Vinci Code - Oh. Tom Hanks looked like he was uncomfortable doing this job the whole time. It was kinda odd at the end and I liked Tautou in other movies she was in. But somehow this movie didn't really do it for me and I like revealing histories.

Slither - Lawl forever and I do appreciate horror that still find the time to make fun of itself in a good way. Good stuff combined from some of the older stuff like Body Snatchers, the Faculty, and some other horror movie which name escapes me right now.

Apocalypto - Interesting and I came away impressed by the direction and the sets. The characters themselves really add such raw nature of the plot too. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Little Miss Sunshine - This movie was sweet and tugs at your funny bone or your misty eyes. But that's really about all really, but the direction of the plot in this movie was quite awesome and I loved how dysfunctional this family and I really SHOULDN'T. Dysfunctional and all the crises that happen on the road?

Smokin' Aces - LOL, it was a great going at first (lots of renown faces) and then wtf at the ending. I was really hoping for Piven to GO ALL OUT or SOMETHING. But no, came away disappointed that that was it and Ryan Reynolds got more lines out of it.

Sukiyaki Western Django - I saw that it was an asian western mix that has Tarantino as a guest bit. It was alright, I did like the plot and some of the characters but most of the movie felt pretty shallow to me.

The Break-Up - Some of the arguments I most definitely had heard before in a relationship and cannot believe they used that as a basis of their breakup. It was alright and lame at some of the parts. I find myself loving Vince Vaughan more and siding with him. And lmao at GTA: San Andreas as the game he played in this movie. (Seeing that since I just recently finished it myself.)

The Breed - This movie is interesting, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be after I watched it. It used to a throwback to the 80s style horror which I liked and threw in some innovative ideas to survive in "a cabin in the woods" against a pack of rabid dogs.

To be seen next week: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Antibodies and the Grudge 2.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Philia; Aug 24, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:53 AM #15 of 352
Originally Posted by Philia
Pulse - Again, what a horrible thing for a director to include a hamfisted message in his movie! I queued this just for Kirsten Bell and she delivers some and some ghost horror but this movie's ending just nearly made me want my two hours back. :\ If they were ripped apart than advertising that stupid nature vs technology debate, I'd be satisfied with that. Politics should have no fucking place in horror. Unless its one of them rules. Like virgins dying first.
The original Japanese flick is a lot better, though honestly it's still pretty mediocre. Most of my enjoyment came from laughing at the idea of ghosts coming through dial-up internet. I don't remember what political stuff they stuck into the American version, but none of that was there in the original.

Quote:
Stranger than Fiction - Now this is the movie that was surprisingly awesome. Those who went in for Will Ferrell comedy should come away disappointed and I expected this when I went in thankfully. Like Alan Sandler's Punch Drunk Love, this is Will Ferrell's. I loved it quite a bit and definitely became one of those movies that left behind something for whole evening.
I really liked this one too, especially the end. Will Ferrell plays a surprisingly good straight-man when he needs to.

Spoiler:
Ponyo - Pretty good, but mostly because Ghibli animation is so much fun to watch. The story was just okay with a couple of quirky characters who kept it from being dull. The Worst Mother in the World was definitely the highlight of the film. Oh, and I laughed forever at the english ending credits music that turns into a pseudo-rap complete with auto-tune halfway through.

Kick-Ass - Great movie that I never got around to seeing when it was in theaters. I liked everything about the movie, though I've never read the graphic novel. It would've been nice to see more of Red Mist, but for all I know there wasn't much of him as a superhero in the original story either.

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:56 PM #16 of 352
LOL, no one watches ANYTHING anymore? ;___;
Spoiler:
Bug - I heard such BADDDD things about this so I was amused when I saw it was on cable the other night and checked it out. Was it marketed as a thriller that made it so wrong or was it the premise that was uncomfortable to watch (being that it is a psychological kind)? I dunno, but I didn't like it all that much and SD was left wondering if this was a bad comedy. xD

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I had read the book, and I'm torn from knowing if a faithful book adaption was the best part of this movie or the actress portraying as Slander was so good. Either way, I liked her in it, but that was all.

Antibodies - Bad cover and a bad title just doesn't give this german movie justice. Its a study of character manipulation that I liked.

The Grudge 2 - Terrible, just terrible. No scares at all. For shame.

Wristcutters: A Love Story - Bittersweet and pretty interesting take on the afterlife for suicides. Road trip and quirky characters abound. Liked this one quite a bit and that actor, Patrick Fugit.

Disturbia - Finally got around to see this one, its not as bad and definitely fun to watch. (I adored Shia LaBeouf in Even Stevens.)

Babel - Pretty interesting take on 3 separate but yet intertwined lives involving miscommunciation in an isolated setting. Its pretty profound for me because one of the three plotlines involved a deaf japanese girl and I could resonate a bit with her sense of isolation in a large group setting.

Employee of the Month - LOL the trailer sure did fooled me. I was actually thinking it'd be something of a fun watch but no, what a shit movie this was. Even with experience at retail made me cringe at this.

The Fountain - Hugh Jackman's casting was something I was having a bit of trouble getting past into (Wolverine). Great set, cgi, and the plot was interesting. Still not sure what to make of it though. Like it a bit.

Doubt - This is the movie that made this entry. Pretty darn excellent writing. I really liked how you could see it either way and still be with a doubt at the end. Just great acting from all three of them.

House MD S6 - The first episode was excellent, and the rest is sort of filler til the last two episodes which were just as excellent caliber. Its like they have two different directors/writers for this sort of thing. I really want the ones that did Amber twofer in S4 and those few excellent episodes to really keep up with great direction instead of doing filler episodes with the disease research. Cuddy getting her own episode is nice, there wasn't enough character study episodes I had seen in House. But yeah, the stuff is still going strong with House.

To be seen next week: I have rearranged my movies backlog to watch a a few shit ones early so that way I'd not care as much while I'm focusing on something else better in the meantime. Whisper, The Hills Have Eyes 2, and Captivity.

On another note, I'm terribly disappointed at Netflix for taking down our friends page. I cannot check on Tails, LeHah, Pang, Kyndig, and Sass's movie backlogs anymore. ;____;

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:52 PM 1 #17 of 352
Employee of the Month - LOL the trailer sure did fooled me. I was actually thinking it'd be something of a fun watch but no, what a shit movie this was. Even with experience at retail made me cringe at this.
Unless that trailer completely obscured the fact that Dane Cook and Andy Dick were in it you have no excuse.

Haha, Bug. Back when I worked at Movie Gallery a fellow coworker who'd gone to see that in theaters threatened to never speak to me again if I rented that despite my love of bad horror. This was the same coworker who hated Hot Fuzz and 28 Days Later, though. I tried watching it on cable once, but it bored me to tears after maybe half an hour and I couldn't take any more.

LOL, no one watches ANYTHING anymore? ;___;
I've mostly been watching TV shows on Netflix lately instead of movies, so there isn't much to say. Most recently it's been Veronica Mars, Penn & Teller's Bullshit, and Arrested Development.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:16 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2010, 07:16 AM #18 of 352
For some reason, I'm not allowed to use Netflix in Korea (At least the streaming parts. Don't know about the physical dvd parts). But a friend was telling me that he got into the mood for gangster movies and such from playing Mafia 2 and suggested I watch The Sopranos.

I've seen bits and pieces of a couple episodes back when it was in its first years, but I don't think I was old enough to appreciate it yet. I watched the first episode last week and was instantly hooked. I think the relationship between Tony and Dr. Melfi is pretty amusing, how he'll randomly get pissed off and storm out of the room, but still come back the next week like nothing happened. I immediately wanted to strangle his mother and wife, though, and his daughter is a bit of a bitch, too. I'm enjoying it a lot though, and trying not to think too much about the ending that apparently pissed off a lot of fans. (Don't know what it is, so I'm not too bothered by it yet.)

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:27 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2010, 06:27 PM #19 of 352
Recently I have watched for the first time The Expendables (Best film ever), Quantum of Solace (Rubbish, even by Bond standards. For Your Eyes Only was on over the weekend and I think I enjoyed that more than QoS, even though it's a bizarre camp-comedy Bond film that I've seen three or four times before. Bond needs to stop trying to have clever plot twists and really needs to stop all the predictable rogue agent bullshit and get back to fucking up Russians), The A-Team (Fun in that it takes itself in no way seriously but went on a bit too long and Liam Neeson? Really?), Shutter Island (What a steaming pile of fetid turd. I want that hour and a half of my life back you fucks. Terrible acting even by DiCaprio's generally low standards, obvious plot and is there nothing Ben Kingsley won't do for money now?) and The Invisible (Entertaining enough although doesn't really know where it's going morally which makes the whole thing end up a bit like a not completely shit episode of One Tree Hill).

Coming soon, as soon as I can find a store that stocks it (Or a working torrent), Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:40 PM #20 of 352
Originally Posted by Shin
The Invisible (Entertaining enough although doesn't really know where it's going morally which makes the whole thing end up a bit like a not completely shit episode of One Tree Hill).
I love the ending to that one.
Spoiler:
Hey kid, sorry I forced your sister die for no apparent reason other than moral penance. Why don't you write her a message on your airplane? Sure, "Hello" pretty much says it all.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:54 PM 2 #21 of 352
Oh I should probably post here when I watch something in-between all that animu I GUESS FUCK

Anyway I was hunting for stuff to watch a few weeks back and Deni told me to rent something called Something The Lord Made, an HBO film from 2004 about a history making African-American, Vivien Thomas (Mos Def) and Alfred Blalock (Alan Rickman), the two guys who pioneered the field of cardiac surgery by curing Blue Baby Syndrome. What makes it important is that this all took place during the 1930's-40's when segregation was still going and blacks weren't seen as equals. It's a pretty strong and quite moving portrayal of what kind of sacrifices some gifted blacks had to make back in the day, the decision to put aside your pride for the greater good and the possibility of accomplishing something never seen or done before and how hard it was being looked down upon.

Also you should watch it because Mos Def owns.

#654: Braixen
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:07 PM Local time: Sep 19, 2010, 08:07 PM #22 of 352
I watched Zombieland the other day and thought it was pretty good. It's kinda like Shaun of the Dead if it had been made as an off-shoot of Scrubs, rather than Spaced. It is pretty funny though and worth a look if you like comedy zombie films. I also watched a film called The Vanguard today which is a low budget, British zombie film and basically pretty shit and didn't make any sense. Some low budget films are great, despite the obvious crappy effects and locations, this one wasn't. Avoid.

Most amazing jew boots
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:45 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2010, 12:45 PM 1 #23 of 352
Under instructions from Denicalis, I watched Boardwalk Empire today and I'm fucking IN LOVE with this show. It's a fictionalized account of Enoch Thompson (his real name was Enoch Johnson) and his Atlantic City exploits during Prohibition. The pilot was directed by Martin Scorsese and stars Steve Buscemi as "Nucky". Do yourself a favor and watch it.

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:22 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2010, 04:22 PM #24 of 352
Sounds interesting Enceph, but for those of us who don't have HBO, do they have episodes online somewhere?

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:36 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2010, 06:36 PM 1 #25 of 352
Yeah, I hear they host them all on sites like isohunt and piratebay and demonoid.

You should look.

(I hear it is where Enceph got his)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?