Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Annihilation

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:08 AM #1 of 26
Annihilation

With there being a thread to discuss the Civil War and a thread to argue about Infinite Crisis, I saw it fit that the cosmic event Annihilation should get its own thread as well. It especially deserves one because it began this week. And what a start it is. Annihilation: Prologue has been one of the best comics I've read in months. Good work, Marvel.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:31 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 01:31 PM #2 of 26
For us non-Marvelites, any summary as to what this cosmic event is all about? Does Thanos play a role in this?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 02:18 PM #3 of 26
I admit I don't know shit about Annihilation, only that it involves the Marvel Cosmicverse. I still have to read Prologue. =/

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:23 AM #4 of 26
I only bought it because of Silver Surfer. Is there even any other reason.

How ya doing, buddy?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:43 PM #5 of 26
Ya, Thanos. Thanos is all the reason that one needs.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:01 PM #6 of 26
For any who want to know about, but don't want to buy the Prologue, I'll provide a synopsis of that issue. The rest of you can report back after reading the issue.

Spoiler:
Thanos and Death watch the destruction caused by the presence of the Annihilation Wave, a massive, seemingly unstoppable army. The army wipes out the Kyln, a maximum-security space prison and multi-planet energy provider. Xandar's corps are gathered once this attack is known. During the gathering, in which units were being assigned duties in relation to this threat, Xandar is attacked... by the same threat. This leads to massive damage and Nova being seriously injured by a spaceport falling the the planet's surface. Upon regaining consciousness, Nova discovers that the entire corps has been destroyed, save him, and that the planet is in ruin. The comic shifts to brief focuses on the three other miniseries characters, showcasing Ronan being stripped of his title for sedition and the Silver Surfer taking notice of the cosmic shift. Then, the story shifts back to the Annihilation Wave, revealing that the person leading the troops is Annihilus, lord of the Negative Zone.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:08 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:08 PM #7 of 26
Well, it's way out of my league. My knowledge of Marvel is limited to heroes on earth. I'm aquainted with Thanos through the Infinity Gems, but I'm totally clueless about the rest. Maybe a Wikipedia article about it will come soon.

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:14 PM #8 of 26
Well, it's about time they revived SF, and Nova, and Annihilus(the last time I actually read something about Annihilus was in some old FF comic I owned back in the early 90s, when he attacked the FF with his fleet of ships, along with that fuzzy chewbacca-like character). I don't know much about Ronan except that he's a from the Kree Empire. And I think Thanos would sit this one out, he'll probably just be a spectator while this happens.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Breakable
Meh

Member 1100

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 06:46 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 01:46 PM #9 of 26
Spoiler:
Actually, Thanos will be the leader of the attacking force, UNDER Annihilus command, from what I gathered.

This should be awesome.
I read the Prologue and was blown away.

This is definitively the good stuff.
Marvel is doing great cosmic epics IF they want to, and Giffen has proved to be a great writer of such epics. His Thanos stuff was better than Starlins by Lightyears, and the fact that the big villain is Annihilus makes this whole thing even more exciting.
He was always a big villain if they used him right.

"The Living Death Who Walks". If that isnt a cool title for a Villain, I dont know what is.

I also quite like that they made him more insectlike and he seems to have several "Queens" now who he uses as leaders for his armada

Also, in the back of the book we get several explanations about the characters, the Nova Corps and a few about the galaxy, to see where Annihilus fleet right now is and what space empires are in his way.
Looks like they will eat their way through Skrull, Kree and last Shi'ar space.

Also, for anyone who needs help:
Walking Tour through the Prologue with the Editor
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...threadid=63151

Questions to the Editor:
http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=114874

Forget Civil war.
THIS will be the highlight of the year!
Not that stupid political soapbox event, that puts an Avengers team into "everything changing" Arc after it took 15 issues to gather each members, had half of the issues no Avengers show up and in the rest only always half of the group.

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:12 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 06:12 PM #10 of 26
Originally Posted by Breakable
Forget Civil war.
THIS will be the highlight of the year!
Haha, I read the preview issue, and I honestly doubt that this would be the Marvel Universe highlight of the year, let alone the highlight of the comic world.

Last edited by -Happy-; Mar 22, 2006 at 05:16 AM.
Breakable
Meh

Member 1100

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 07:43 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 02:43 PM #11 of 26
Eh.
Ive read it too and Im intrigued.
But Im a sucker for Space epics.

Civil War looks like your typical half political ubercrossover crap, curtesy of Marvels current "star" writers.

Most amazing jew boots
Breakable
Meh

Member 1100

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 05:37 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2006, 12:37 PM #12 of 26
Oh yes! Andrea DiVito is doing Anihilation!

http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JoeFridays44.html

That guy is insanely talented!

Most amazing jew boots
-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:52 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 11:52 PM #13 of 26
Haha, 3 issues of Annihilation are out and I'm convinced this is one of the worst cosmic/comic arcs I have ever read. The covers are to die for, but the art is passable, though I'm not sure if it's because of the scan quality or art style that there are too many dark colours being used at the same time. Some of the shapes are indistinguishable from the others. As for DeVito art, his Thanos looks like another scrotum-chinned character from the X-Men: Apocalypse.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:51 PM #14 of 26
The covers are amazing. Silver Surfer was meh. I really liked Super Skrull and the Nova book was amazing. I hope that the Surfer series gets better...

Come on Happy, it could be worse (see Infinite Crisis until book 6).

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:54 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 09:54 AM #15 of 26
Zergrinch said that Marvel does comics stuff better than DC in general. Normally, I would tend to agree, but reading three issues of people lying around in rubble and seeing whole civilizations ruined is pretty poor. I think Marvel is trying to drive home the point of the inhumanity of it all, but 3 issues, in my opinion, is way too much print for that little piece of foundation. Maybe it's supposed to be building up to something, maybe it is part of a masterplan. Forgive me if I don't see it.

;___;

p.s. the Nova corp are such a cheap imitation for the Green Lantern Corp. That was pretty weak.

p.p.s. Have you read the factoid page? Apparently everyone who has a connection with space in the Marvel Universe is a threat which is ranked "Universal".

FELIPE NO
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:08 PM #16 of 26
Originally Posted by -Happy-
Zergrinch said that Marvel does comics stuff better than DC in general. Normally, I would tend to agree, but reading three issues of people lying around in rubble and seeing whole civilizations ruined is pretty poor. I think Marvel is trying to drive home the point of the inhumanity of it all, but 3 issues, in my opinion, is way too much print for that little piece of foundation. Maybe it's supposed to be building up to something, maybe it is part of a masterplan. Forgive me if I don't see it.
It's three different mini-series dude. You can't expect them to start each one with the character suddenly doing something about the event. There has to be a starting point, which is what they did. It's fine.

DC Cosmic stuff is just ugly. Almost as ugly as the retarded amount of characters that they killed off in Infinite Crisis.

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 10:17 AM #17 of 26
Originally Posted by a_mcnugget
It's three different mini-series dude. You can't expect them to start each one with the character suddenly doing something about the event. There has to be a starting point, which is what they did. It's fine.

DC Cosmic stuff is just ugly. Almost as ugly as the retarded amount of characters that they killed off in Infinite Crisis.
Well, I personally think it sucks. I'll still be monitoring it anyway to see if anything interesting pop-ups. One of my pet peeves with Marvel are the over-powered characters in their comics. This arc is filled with people like that.

Actually, if you consider the Green Lantern Corp as DC's cosmic stuff, it's actually slightly above average. That'd be how I will rate it.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:04 PM #18 of 26
You complain about over-powered characters and you like DC comics? ...??? DC has, in general, MUCH more powerful supers than Marvel - the exception being Marvel's people with Cosmic powers.

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 12:03 PM #19 of 26
Originally Posted by a_mcnugget
You complain about over-powered characters and you like DC comics? ...??? DC has, in general, MUCH more powerful supers than Marvel - the exception being Marvel's people with Cosmic powers.
Actually, while we shouldn't be debating this in this thread (This'll be my last post on this subject), DC doesn't have any metahumans with literal reality warping powers or world class telepaths, which in my opinion, are more powerful than Superman and his ilk. Superman has a counterpart over in the Marvel Universe anyway (re: Thor). Prime example of why I say telepaths are more powerful/have more impact, see Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Superman being controlled by Max Lord, who isn't even a well known telepath like Manchester Black. However, if you're talking about physically strong specimens, yes, DC wins in that respect.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:13 PM #20 of 26
I rather like what MArvel is doing with the limited series, though I do not know exactly waht transpires in the Super Skrull issue. Nova allows us to monitor Nova on his recovery from seeing his friends, colleagues, and the planet that was his second home obliterated before him. This issue is a nice starting point because it give Nova a new mission and pulls Drax into the story. Silver Surfer's first issue is also preliminary, mianly introducing Surfer to the Annihilation Wave. This issue ends with a quite angry Surfer, understandable considering what transpires in the issue, and an angry Surfer always leads to nice space battles and results.

I will agree that the art within the Super Skrull issue was sub-par.

As for the comment about threats in space called Universal, what else would you call them? They can, at any given time, be anywhere in the universe. Hence, no matter how power they are, they should be classified as Universal.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 01:46 PM #21 of 26
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
As for the comment about threats in space called Universal, what else would you call them? They can, at any given time, be anywhere in the universe. Hence, no matter how power they are, they should be classified as Universal.
That's actually a mis-interpretation of the term Universal threat. Basically, a universal threat is a person/situation whose power levels are at a level which can destroy or lay waste most of/all of the universe. The Silver Surfer can only travel at lightspeed. That's hardly being anywhere, at anytime.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:45 PM #22 of 26
It isn't that they are anywhere, it's that they could be anywhere. There's a difference. These space people are constantly on the move, so it's hard to keep track of them. But I really think that in this case, the term "universal" is being used to describe something the entire universe should know/be cocerned about.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 08:50 AM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 09:50 PM #23 of 26
Ok, I just lost interest over Annihilation. Mainly because of the poor art. Nova's art is tolerable, but the Super-Skrull and SS art is bad. Somewhat like X-men art bad. I'll just probably get the scans and read them some other time.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Sep 26, 2006, 02:18 PM #24 of 26
Okay, bumping up this thread like wut.

Issues 1 and 2 of Anniliation are already out, and it looks like good is screwed.

Thoughts?

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
melkor
Des Selbst Teufels

Member 9319

Level 3.31

Jul 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:34 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2006, 11:04 PM #25 of 26
I'm betting that Thanos has some back-up way of Double-crossing Annihilus. As per the Thanos miniseries (where he finds Skreet & The Fallen One) and The End of the Marvel Universe, he has renounced Evil ways, and is now actually a good character. I also think that with Aegis and Tenebrous free (assuming that Galactus was telling the truth when he said that they are his equals) Eternity and the others will soon be involved.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Annihilation