Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Infinite Crisis Discussion

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:36 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:36 PM #1 of 22
Actually, as the resident DC apologist here, I feel as if I need to say something about Infinite Crisis. The last time DC did something like this, it was called Crisis on Infinite Earths. The point of the huge crossovers are not only/really to sell more issues. The idea of it is to actually make the DC universe sleeker and less flabby and thus, less retconning to do. And to be honest, in terms of continuity, it really isn't a nightmare, things have definitely been blown way out of proportion. (Acro-nym, as far as I'm concerned, you're a troll account. Do come up with some proof of it having continuity problems instead of complaining in every comics thread) As Zerg said, if you have a working knowledge of the DC universe, Infinite Crisis makes an interesting read. Most fans complained about Crisis on Infinite Earths as well, but it was mainly written for the DC fans who didn't want to see such a big universe. As for something that is worse than Infinite Crisis, House of M, anyone?

Civil War, looks to be really interesting. Not so much Captain America vs Tony Stark, but rather the Hero vs Hero concept, which hasn't been explored enough.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by -Happy-; Mar 10, 2006 at 08:46 AM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:10 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:10 PM #2 of 22
I'll be keeping an eye on the Marvel Civil War arc, though I must admit I don't find the premise compelling enough (government legislation) to warrant a schism in Marvel's superhero community.

Truth to tell, I may have become inured to this since I recall some parallels with this to the general feel of the X-Books. Now that they're projecting this into the overall Marvel universe, it remains to be seen whether I would prefer this over the "Infinite Crisis" or "Identity Crisis" arcs.

While I'm the second DC apologist around these parts, I'm afraid I must slightly disagree with Happy a bit. Crisis on Infinite Earths WAS an attempt by DC comics to clean house on its 50th anniversary. Compromises were made thereafter that rendered some continuity errors. There was another Universe-spanning cross-over which attempted, but not very successfully, to do the same. Zero-Hour wasn't quite as tight as Infinite Crisis.

Recent developments in the past year which negate some major Zero-Hour plot points is probably proof that DC just wants to forget Zero Hour. In that respect, while Infinite Crisis is the true spiritual follow-up to Crisis on Infinite Earths (CoIE), CoIE wasn't quite the "last time DC did something like this"

We have a choice between a coherent Universe, or a Universe where all alternate versions and inconsistencies are simply assigned a number (Universe 616 vs. 1610 anyone?). I prefer the former.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:49 AM #3 of 22
Originally Posted by Zergrinch
While I'm the second DC apologist around these parts, I'm afraid I must slightly disagree with Happy a bit. Crisis on Infinite Earths WAS an attempt by DC comics to clean house on its 50th anniversary. Compromises were made thereafter that rendered some continuity errors. There was another Universe-spanning cross-over which attempted, but not very successfully, to do the same. Zero-Hour wasn't quite as tight as Infinite Crisis.
Actually, Zero-Hour slipped my mind. But Crisis on Infinite Earths was created to merge everything into one dimension whereas Zero Hour was created to merge all timelines into one. Wikipedia explains it better than I do:

Zero Hour was intended by DC as a belated follow-up to their landmark limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths, and was indeed subtitled "(A) Crisis in Time". It promised to do for the inconsistent future timelines of the DC Universe what Crisis had done for its parallel worlds: unify them into a new one.

I honestly think that Infinite Crisis isn't really around this time to clean up continuity or timelines or dimensions, but rather it really is some sort of reset on the DC universe (This time).

p.s. Yes, I got it wrong. CoIE wasn't the last time "DC did something like this". Strangely enough, I never really though of Zero Hour as a huge event, though.

oke:

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by -Happy-; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:56 AM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:41 PM #4 of 22
Originally Posted by -Happy-
Actually, as the resident DC apologist here, I feel as if I need to say something about Infinite Crisis. The last time DC did something like this, it was called Crisis on Infinite Earths. The point of the huge crossovers are not only/really to sell more issues. The idea of it is to actually make the DC universe sleeker and less flabby and thus, less retconning to do. And to be honest, in terms of continuity, it really isn't a nightmare, things have definitely been blown way out of proportion. (Acro-nym, as far as I'm concerned, you're a troll account. Do come up with some proof of it having continuity problems instead of complaining in every comics thread) As Zerg said, if you have a working knowledge of the DC universe, Infinite Crisis makes an interesting read. Most fans complained about Crisis on Infinite Earths as well, but it was mainly written for the DC fans who didn't want to see such a big universe. As for something that is worse than Infinite Crisis, House of M, anyone?
I have a good working knowledge of the DCU. I've read COIE. That story was smooth read. Things within it made sense. The problems I have with Infinite Crisis (I'm sorry if haven't made them clear yet... I do so much complaining about it on CBR.) are these:

1) Characters are being killed for no reason. The Society acts out of character in the first issue and ruthlessly and violently kills most of the Freedom Fighters. Their deaths mean nothing, except that a stagnant villain, Dr. Polaris, died. This is clear because DC is already working on a mag to relaunch the group, most likely with new members.

2) Reality barriers aren't physical constructs. Much like time barriers, they cannot be detected by any of the usual senses. Yet, in IC, there appears to be some reality barrier located somewhere in the bowels of space that is not only visable (from one side, I guess) but can be punched through. Not only that, but Superboy punched through it several times (does it reseal itself?). Shouldn't Earth-2 Supes have noticed this?

3) The big continuity glitch occurs with the Chemo drop on Bludhaven, possibly the biggest thing to happen within the whole series. In IC, Batman shows up right away and takes Nightwing to the cave to report his findings about who destroyed the JLA tower. Yet, in Batman's own comic, he's held up by the Red Hood and an exploding building. In Nightwing's mag, which could possibly take place after the Batcave scene, Dick rushes into his city to assist those in need, despite Superman trying to convince him otherwise. Yet, in one of Superman's mags, it states the Superman successfully convinced Nightwing to stay put long enough for him to deal with Chemo and getting rid of the radiation.

4) Where did the Anti-Monitor's body come from?

5) In the tie-in Teen Titans issue handling the Superboy fight, the "villain" is hit with a Phantom Zone arrow. When hit, instead of being just transported to the Phatom Zone, a sort of window appears as well. The Phantom Zone hasn't acted like this in ages.

Those are my main concerns.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 12:43 PM #5 of 22
1. I'm not really sure what you want. When supervillains kill people, do you want a soliloquy detailing the substantive reasons why they're snuffing the protagonists' lights out?

2. Infiinite Crisis implies that Alex Luthor is so brilliant, that he concealed Superboy Prime's activities from Earth-2 Superman. Kal-L was then rather absorbed in his dying spouse. Your opposition to said reality barriers seems rather paradoxical to your praise for the original crisis, since that miniseries detailed Alex Luthor's establishment of said barriers in the first place!

3. I concede this point, that the Bludhaven drop was one big mess, with several accounts between the Infinite Crisis, Nightwing, Superman, and Batman titles. However, it seems rather trivial to me - in the greater scheme of things, I don't really care what Nightwing and Batman did, or where they were, in the 24-hour period after the drop.

4. Again, a reference to the original Crisis, as the Anti-Monitor was killed in the last part of the series. In Infinite Crisis, it was revealed that after punching through the barrier, Superboy retrieved the anti-Monitor's corpse (ostensibly from the anti-matter Universe of Qward) - Happy, feel free to correct me.

5. How do you know that the window shouldn't be there? Has anyone been hit by a Phantom Zone arrow before, prior to this event? Does this completely violate the physics of the Phantom Zone? (I think not.) Does it really matter? Infinite Crisis sucks just cuz a phantom zone window appeared when it shouldn't?

I propose we split off this discussion to an Infinite Crisis discussion thread. It isn't fair for the Marvelites

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:16 PM #6 of 22
I split these posts from the Marvel Civil War thread since it was getting pretty off-topic, so use this thread to discuss IC instead.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:39 AM #7 of 22
I'm new to comics, so I was pretty overwhelmed by the concept of Infinite Crisis. I don't really have anything substantial to say about it, other than the fact that I found Superman fighting Superman amusing, as well as Batman dissing Superman.

Infinite Crisis has shown me, however, that the DC universe is full of characters that seem plain idiotic. I swear, 90% of them look so generic and stupid, I don't understand how they got printed at all.

FELIPE NO
-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:07 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 12:07 AM #8 of 22
Originally Posted by Zergrinch
1. I'm not really sure what you want. When supervillains kill people, do you want a soliloquy detailing the substantive reasons why they're snuffing the protagonists' lights out?

2. Infiinite Crisis implies that Alex Luthor is so brilliant, that he concealed Superboy Prime's activities from Earth-2 Superman. Kal-L was then rather absorbed in his dying spouse. Your opposition to said reality barriers seems rather paradoxical to your praise for the original crisis, since that miniseries detailed Alex Luthor's establishment of said barriers in the first place!

3. I concede this point, that the Bludhaven drop was one big mess, with several accounts between the Infinite Crisis, Nightwing, Superman, and Batman titles. However, it seems rather trivial to me - in the greater scheme of things, I don't really care what Nightwing and Batman did, or where they were, in the 24-hour period after the drop.

4. Again, a reference to the original Crisis, as the Anti-Monitor was killed in the last part of the series. In Infinite Crisis, it was revealed that after punching through the barrier, Superboy retrieved the anti-Monitor's corpse (ostensibly from the anti-matter Universe of Qward) - Happy, feel free to correct me.

5. How do you know that the window shouldn't be there? Has anyone been hit by a Phantom Zone arrow before, prior to this event? Does this completely violate the physics of the Phantom Zone? (I think not.) Does it really matter? Infinite Crisis sucks just cuz a phantom zone window appeared when it shouldn't?
1) Agreed.

2) Agreed. In Infinite Crisis #2, Kal-L (Superman, Earth-Two) narrates that Alexander Luthor created a haven of sorts. A "place" for them to exist beyond that dimension. These characters were all set to die (implied) during the end of CoIE. So to put it plainly, they were not supposed to exist anywhere in this dimension but in this "place". As things gradually become worse on Earth in this period, this "place" started to warp. (Although it is implied that this "place" started to warp because Lois was dying. Hence the cracks leading out from her bed) To survive, they used Superman's preoccupation with Lois' health as an opportunity for Superboy to punch a hole in the wall at a certain point to retrieve the corpse of the anti-monitor. Only later on as Lois' condition got worse did they actually try to breach the wall to access Earth-One. It was Superman-Two who finally made the difference and cracked open the wall. (This is all told in Infinite Crisis #1)

3) The printed matter were accounts of what was happening. It therefore could have been told in the past or the present tense. Though I do say that this was kind of a mix-up.

4) Agreed/You're right.

5) Agreed/You're right.

Actually, only Question number 3 is truly about continuity. The rest are plot holes which have already been answered by us.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by -Happy-; Mar 11, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:35 PM #9 of 22
Both of you seem to neglect the fact that there were two parts to that second concern. In any case, I'm going to dispute some more.

1) I don't want a freakin monologue. I just want someone to explain to me why the villains suddenly decide "we're going to kill people." In the months that this group has existed they have never demonstrated any interest in killing off heroes, not have they acted in a violent manner. In fact, when Dr. Psycho tried to make Black Adam fight Superman, Adam got pissed. Is it that they got worse for some unexplained reason, or that Alexander wanted the other Freedom Fighters dead for some unexplained reason? Also, Alexander wouldn't tell them about his plan to make a new Earth. If he did, they'd probably all turn on him, seeing as how some of them could get deleted in the process. So, he had to be giving them some reason to gather the people he needed for his machine, or at least lie about what the machine will inevitably do.

2) Um, actually, Alexander Luthor and Superboy traveled to the current Earth either more than one time or spent a long time during that first trip. Alexander Luthor cloaked Brother Eye and gave Checkmate access to it. He also founded and managed the Society. Superboy was able to move Rann to cause the war. Superboy grabbed Martian Manhunter and destroyed the JLA watchtower.

3) We're in agreement, I'll move on.

4) At the end of COIE, the Anti-Monitor was destroyed utterly and thoroughly. He was damaged to much as to become a sort of energy skeletal structure, then was thrust into a star. When he tried to make one last assault, Kal-L forced him back into said star, which proceeded to implode with the Anti-Monitor still in it. Hence, there was no body for them to go retrieve.

5) Look. Any teleportation item I've seen sends people away with no window displaying where they went. It just sends, no matter where the target is going. As to why the Phantom Zone is out of whack here, in the past, people sent into this space are paralyzed, given a ghostly state in which they cannot affect anything outside of the Phantom Zone. Yet, Superboy is able to punch his way through. The Phantom Zone acting differently from the way it has is a continuity problem.

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:25 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:25 PM #10 of 22
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Both of you seem to neglect the fact that there were two parts to that second concern. In any case, I'm going to dispute some more.

1) I don't want a freakin monologue. I just want someone to explain to me why the villains suddenly decide "we're going to kill people." In the months that this group has existed they have never demonstrated any interest in killing off heroes, not have they acted in a violent manner. In fact, when Dr. Psycho tried to make Black Adam fight Superman, Adam got pissed. Is it that they got worse for some unexplained reason, or that Alexander wanted the other Freedom Fighters dead for some unexplained reason? Also, Alexander wouldn't tell them about his plan to make a new Earth. If he did, they'd probably all turn on him, seeing as how some of them could get deleted in the process. So, he had to be giving them some reason to gather the people he needed for his machine, or at least lie about what the machine will inevitably do.

2) Um, actually, Alexander Luthor and Superboy traveled to the current Earth either more than one time or spent a long time during that first trip. Alexander Luthor cloaked Brother Eye and gave Checkmate access to it. He also founded and managed the Society. Superboy was able to move Rann to cause the war. Superboy grabbed Martian Manhunter and destroyed the JLA watchtower.

3) We're in agreement, I'll move on.

4) At the end of COIE, the Anti-Monitor was destroyed utterly and thoroughly. He was damaged to much as to become a sort of energy skeletal structure, then was thrust into a star. When he tried to make one last assault, Kal-L forced him back into said star, which proceeded to implode with the Anti-Monitor still in it. Hence, there was no body for them to go retrieve.

5) Look. Any teleportation item I've seen sends people away with no window displaying where they went. It just sends, no matter where the target is going. As to why the Phantom Zone is out of whack here, in the past, people sent into this space are paralyzed, given a ghostly state in which they cannot affect anything outside of the Phantom Zone. Yet, Superboy is able to punch his way through. The Phantom Zone acting differently from the way it has is a continuity problem.
1) Well, Alexander Luthor wanted The Ray from the Freedom Fighters. As to why they killed the Freedom Fighters, I would have to say that they're villains aren't they? Besides, your point about Black Adam is moot. Black Adam used to be a hero and even now still has his own code of conduct and is full to the brim of bullshit like honour and whatnot. He was pissed with Dr. Psycho for causing the death of innocent people in the area. In this sense, heroes aren't as vulnerable as normal non-powered people. The people in the society seem to trust the leadership alot, moreso "Lex Luthor" because he's the best of them all. He has a reputation like Batman. Although he doesn't have powers, nobody messes with Lex Luthor.

2) I don't see why Alexander couldn't have done everything in one fell swoop seeing as to how there isn't an exact timeline to when they finally broke down all the walls to Earth-One. You're assuming months, but they could have held back telling Kal-L about making contact with Earth's heroes until all the pieces were in place (A supposition, but a good one) after breaking down the walls. They basically fooled Kal-L into thinking that bringing back Earth-Two would save Lois and they put it in such a way that it makes it seem like all of them agreed on the idea instead of saying that it was Alexander Luthor all the way.

4) You're assuming it blew up the remains of the Anti-Monitor.

5) Actually you're talking about the Phantom Zone ray gun that Superman keeps in his Fortress of Solitude. Nobody I know in the DC Universe has ever fired a Phantom Zone arrow. Who knows how it might actually work, right? But apparently it's violating all laws of Phantom Zone physics (Which doesn't exist in the Phantom Zone) that windows should start appearing and Superboy smashing his way out.

Last edited by -Happy-; Mar 12, 2006 at 01:00 PM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:35 PM #11 of 22
Originally Posted by -Happy-
1) Well, Alexander Luthor wanted The Ray from the Freedom Fighters. As to why they killed the Freedom Fighters, I would have to say that they're villains aren't they? Besides, your point about Black Adam is moot. Black Adam used to be a hero and even now still has his own code of conduct and is full to the brim of bullshit like honour and whatnot. He was pissed with Dr. Psycho for causing the death of innocent people in the area. In this sense, heroes aren't as vulnerable as normal non-powered people. The people in the society seem to trust the leadership alot, moreso "Lex Luthor" because he's the best of them all. He has a reputation like Batman. Although he doesn't have powers, nobody messes with Lex Luthor.

2) I don't see why Alexander couldn't have done everything in one fell swoop seeing as to how there isn't an exact timeline to when they finally broke down all the walls to Earth-One. You're assuming months, but they could have held back telling Kal-L about making contact with Earth's heroes until all the pieces were in place (A supposition, but a good one) after breaking down the walls. They basically fooled Kal-L into thinking that bringing back Earth-Two would save Lois and they put it in such a way that it makes it seem like all of them agreed on the idea instead of saying that it was Alexander Luthor all the way.

4) You're assuming it blew up the remains of the Anti-Monitor.

5) Actually you're talking about the Phantom Zone ray gun that Superman keeps in his Fortress of Solitude. Nobody I know in the DC Universe has ever fired a Phantom Zone arrow. Who knows how it might actually work, right? But apparently it's violating all laws of Phantom Zone physics (Which doesn't exist in the Phantom Zone) that windows should start appearing and Superboy smashing his way out.
1) I understand that they're villains. Some of the ones in that crowd are lethally-inclined (Sinestro and Cheetah come to mind). However, Deathstroke rarely shows any sign of actually wanting to kill anybody. Yet, within the story, he kills two people. Bizarro shouldn't have even be able kill the Human Bomb in such a manner, but that's a different discussion. The Freedom Fighters didn't need to die. Did anyone need to die to bring in Nightshade? Or Martian Manhunter? No. Those two were captured by themselves. Johns could have just as easily written a villain capturing the Ray while he was alone. The fact that the team's death is meaningless adds fuel to this thought.

2) Seeing as how the events leading up to IC have been going on for the past few months, I'd say that there is some time interval between them, say, giving Brother Eye to Checkmate and capturing Martian Manhunter.

4) I'm not assuming anything. Read the last issue of COIE. The Anti-Monitor was in a freakin' energy form when he was destroyed. There's no body to find.

5) Yes, the operation of the Phatom Zone is out of whack here. Yes, there's never been an arrow for this before. It still doesn't make sense. Why would Superman make an arrow (I could probably stop the question here...) that keeps a window open for him to view the prisoner? He could easily check on whoever through other means. The only possible reason would be that Superman is really sadistic and gets pleasure out of watching people suffer, which I know isn't false. The reason this is relevant is that if it worked the right way, instead of Johns' way, the whole thing with the Flashes wouldn't have happened.

How ya doing, buddy?
-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:26 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 09:26 AM #12 of 22
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
1) I understand that they're villains. Some of the ones in that crowd are lethally-inclined (Sinestro and Cheetah come to mind). However, Deathstroke rarely shows any sign of actually wanting to kill anybody. Yet, within the story, he kills two people. Bizarro shouldn't have even be able kill the Human Bomb in such a manner, but that's a different discussion. The Freedom Fighters didn't need to die. Did anyone need to die to bring in Nightshade? Or Martian Manhunter? No. Those two were captured by themselves. Johns could have just as easily written a villain capturing the Ray while he was alone. The fact that the team's death is meaningless adds fuel to this thought.

2) Seeing as how the events leading up to IC have been going on for the past few months, I'd say that there is some time interval between them, say, giving Brother Eye to Checkmate and capturing Martian Manhunter.

4) I'm not assuming anything. Read the last issue of COIE. The Anti-Monitor was in a freakin' energy form when he was destroyed. There's no body to find.

5) Yes, the operation of the Phatom Zone is out of whack here. Yes, there's never been an arrow for this before. It still doesn't make sense. Why would Superman make an arrow (I could probably stop the question here...) that keeps a window open for him to view the prisoner? He could easily check on whoever through other means. The only possible reason would be that Superman is really sadistic and gets pleasure out of watching people suffer, which I know isn't false. The reason this is relevant is that if it worked the right way, instead of Johns' way, the whole thing with the Flashes wouldn't have happened.
1) Actually, I don't see anything wrong with this. -_- This could be a way of clearing up some of the chaff in the DC Universe. Why kill? Why not.

2) Haha, you're assuming the months between the publishing of Countdown to Infinite Crisis and Infinite Crisis are also months in the DC Universe? Yes, even if it was a couple of months, they could have hidden all this from Superman-Two. The "place" could have been miles wide or miles deep, who the hell knows? Again, I don't see the problem here.

4) Yes, I remember. the Anti-Monitor absorbed some of the worlds in the Anti-Matter universe to increase his power. Yes, the comics depicted that he had become an energy being, but again you're assuming that he doesn't still have a skeleton?

5) I'm going to pass on this one. =/ I think it's been dealt with.

Like I said, out of all these questions, only question 3 was about continuity (And even that negligible). The rest of all these are supposed loop-holes in the plot. If all this bothers you, go check out House of M.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:01 PM #13 of 22
There's no point in arguing this any more. Neither one of us is making ground here. And I don't believe I ever said that the problems in IC were strictly continuity-based. The process is going to go that I keep backing up my side, then you keep responding with your thoughts. It's utterly pointless. If neither one of us has convinced the other by now, we're never going to.

Now, as for House of M, at least it didn't have any plot holes.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:41 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 08:41 AM #14 of 22
I would like to add that DC dropped the ball big time in Infinite Crisis. Even I, one of the self-professed DC Comics apologists around here, have already lost interest in this series. Started with a huge bang, ended with a whimper. Sure hope 52 isn't going to meet the same fate!

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:19 PM #15 of 22
Infinite Crisis was so long and drawn out. It got ridiculous before the main mini even started, and then the character deaths just multiplied exponentially. The way they killed off what seemed like dozens of characters was totally useless. The writer of Marvel's upcoming Civil War had every right to bash them for their craptacular approach. I truly hope that Civil War does a much better job of changing the Marvel universe than Infinite Crisis did for the DC one.

The worst part of it all is that IC will go down as one of the best comic book stories ever.

FELIPE NO

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 06:05 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 07:05 PM #16 of 22
Mmm, last issue of Infinite Crisis is out. Anybody willing to discuss it?

Spoiler:
Most importantly, (I feel) Batman's history has been retconned again. Perhaps that would explain his cheerfulness OYL. Superboy is still alive, I thought he would die at the end of Infinite Crisis. Anybody have feelings about that? Not a bad ending to the series, really.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 09:35 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 10:35 PM #17 of 22
Not until someone hooks me up with a copy!

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 06:48 PM #18 of 22
To put it plainly...

Spoiler:
Infinite Crisis sucked. It was a huge letdown. It seemed like all they did was kill off random characters. I thought that Identity Crisis was much, much better. Civil War's first issue was great though. Oh wait, that's Marvel.

Also - lack of Flash in the future is retarded because we know it's not true. They already have the new Flash series announced. Getting rid of Wally and aging Bart was ridiculous.

Superboy Prime being alive at the end was totally useless. Also, how did Superman lose his powers? Hasn't he been knocked out by kryptonite overdose before?

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:46 PM #19 of 22
Infinite Crisis is over. I am happy that the last issue was just as chaotic, random, and messed up as the rest of the series. It was a compliment to not-so-hard work Johns did in issues 1-6. I believe the main problem was how Johns tried so hard to make it parallel the original Crisis while still incorporating five lead-ins. It just didn't work. Unfortunately, it's part of continuity, like Morrison's Seven Soldiers thing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 04:19 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 03:19 AM #20 of 22
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
To put it plainly...

Spoiler:
Infinite Crisis sucked. It was a huge letdown. It seemed like all they did was kill off random characters. I thought that Identity Crisis was much, much better. Civil War's first issue was great though. Oh wait, that's Marvel.

Also - lack of Flash in the future is retarded because we know it's not true. They already have the new Flash series announced. Getting rid of Wally and aging Bart was ridiculous.

Superboy Prime being alive at the end was totally useless. Also, how did Superman lose his powers? Hasn't he been knocked out by kryptonite overdose before?
Quoted for truth.

I felt so let down by the series. It started with so much promise, but quickly degenerated to "lets bring in some obscure characters and not advance the plot!". There is a problem when the only reasons I'm reading the book is to see who is going to die next, not to actually absorb the story. Johns should be better than this.

Also the end;

Spoiler:
Batman doesn't fucking use guns. Period. He doesn't pick them up and threaten villians with them no matter WHAT they do. How Johns managed to fuck up one of the defining characteristics of one of the big three is beyond me. Perhaps his encyclopedic knowledge only extends to characters that no one cares about. He may as well as made Superman an alcoholic wife-beater just for the hell of it.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 05:16 AM #21 of 22
Now we get to look forward to 52 though guys. I'm sure that it will be spectacular [/sarcasm]

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 03:25 PM #22 of 22
Yes, indeed. The first issue of 52 was just wonderful! It had items appearing from nowhere, people acting out of character, and the fine-line-walking of a time travel item. It was great!

If this continues, 52 will be complimentary to IC...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Infinite Crisis Discussion