Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Pre-E3 Wii thread
Closed Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 12:38 AM #101 of 131
Rumor has it that the Wii controller has a speaker in it which will make sounds like if you fire a gun or connect with a sword.

http://www.lakituslair.com/Post10004.aspx

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 12:52 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 03:52 PM #102 of 131
If true, I hope that when Mario Kart Wii is eventually out, the little speaker will boom out the same noise DK makes when you choose him in Mario Kart DS. ALL THE TIME. Imagine racing to that all day, it'd basically make it the greatest game ever made. "A WEE HEE, A WEE HEE, A WEE HEE".

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:00 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:00 AM #103 of 131
The secret better be more than that...

Speaker in the controller isn't a "major point" of anything. (at least it shouldn't be)

FELIPE NO
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:06 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 01:06 PM #104 of 131
Sometimes I think Nintendo = Apple.

They are just so damn creative when publishing their product!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
BurningRanger
...was there

Member 4377

Level 19.38

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:17 AM #105 of 131
Originally Posted by Solis
For your typical uneducated consumer, they'll see the $500 price point and won't want to fucking pay that what the fuck is wrong with you.
Fixed!

Originally Posted by NoWittyThing
Outside of it's horrid price point, the PS3 still has FF, VF, Tekken, and MGS - games that, unlike Dragon Quest, sell in big numbers all over the world.
I suppose you're right... I mean, things would be a lot easier for Nintendo if they had such big, notable franchises with long histories like the Mario series, or Zelda or Metroid or Donkey Kong or ok you get the picture you're wrong.

Originally Posted by Techno
Yeah, also, none of the MAJOR games seemed to support PS3's controler's motion sensing capabilities. It definately doesn't seem like something they'll genuinly follow up on.
Not only is Sony's motion sensor inferior (it doesn't sense orientation...) but it's also nearly impossible to use because you need two hands on the controller. ANY motions, therefore, would be extremely awkward and painful. Finally, the sacrifice of vibration might be a bit too much for such a shitty implementation of motion detection... give me a vibrating controller in a fishing game, rather than asking me to flail 60% of my body weight at the screen to cast a line.

Also, Sony's not a company that's very conducive to innovation. Care for an example? Eyetoy. Aside from DDR, not a single 3rd party game used that. How about the Dual Shock 2? Pressure Sensitive buttons ZOMG! How many games used that, though? Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Woo. Thanks Sony, I just paid an extra 10-20 dollars for your shitty unresponsive controller so I could have pressure sensitivity in one game.

Sony's mentality, especially with the PS3, has been and will be "make the game look good above all else." They won't push the motion sensor thing onto developers at all, just like they didn't push the Eyetoy or the pressure sensitive Dualshock 2.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 03:21 AM #106 of 131
For Wii's Launch in Japan:

Also, as it was noted up there, it seems the secret for the WiiMote will be built-in speakers which is a pretty sweet idea.

Price is being pointed as being 249$US at launch. Also, the Virtual Console games are set to cost a few dollars for NES games, 5$ for SNES games and 10$ for N64.

All this is waiting to be confirmed tomorrow.

Seriously guys, first time that I'm TRUELY waiting the Nintendo system. Bought it in the past at launch but this year is special!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Old May 9, 2006, 01:27 AM #107 of 131
Originally Posted by BurningRanger
Also, Sony's not a company that's very conducive to innovation. Care for an example? Eyetoy. Aside from DDR, not a single 3rd party game used that. How about the Dual Shock 2? Pressure Sensitive buttons ZOMG! How many games used that, though? Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Woo. Thanks Sony, I just paid an extra 10-20 dollars for your shitty unresponsive controller so I could have pressure sensitivity in one game.

Sony's mentality, especially with the PS3, has been and will be "make the game look good above all else." They won't push the motion sensor thing onto developers at all, just like they didn't push the Eyetoy or the pressure sensitive Dualshock 2.
Well not everything for the cube was accepted either, dude. The shoulder trigger click was used in only a few games.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:32 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 03:32 AM #108 of 131
How about the Dual Shock 2? Pressure Sensitive buttons ZOMG! How many games used that, though? Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Woo.
Playing Driver: Parallel Lines and it's got pressure sensitives integrated for all the buttons including the Ls and Rs.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:44 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 01:44 AM #109 of 131
Fixed!
Do you have any idea how much $200 was "worth" back in 1985 when the NES was released? $500 nowadays for what's seen as a "multimedia entertainment machine" is hardly out of the question, people are paying $500 just for HD-DVD players. The market for the Wii isn't the same as the market for the PS3. People aren't go "well I was GOING to get a Blu-ray/DVD/game player for $500, but I think I'll get a Wii instead since it costs less".

Quote:
Also, Sony's not a company that's very conducive to innovation. Care for an example? Eyetoy. Aside from DDR, not a single 3rd party game used that.
Sega SuperStars? Tony Hawk: American Wasteland? The Urbz? Granted, the last two was just to import your face into the game, but it was used nonetheless.

Quote:
Pressure Sensitive buttons ZOMG! How many games used that, though? Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Woo. Thanks Sony, I just paid an extra 10-20 dollars for your shitty unresponsive controller so I could have pressure sensitivity in one game.
Plus Zone of the Enders, Madden, GTA, Ridge Racer, even games like Baldor's Gate Dark Alliance. I doubt the analog sensitivity cost much to add though.

But really, this is getting off topic. Lets not debate the PS2/PS3 features here unless it somehow relates to the Wii. Complaining about PS2 hardware that was underused really doesn't have much purpose outside the PS2 or possibly PS3 thread.

Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:50 PM #110 of 131
A speaker in the controller? Is that it? Sorry, but that's fucking gay, and not exciting in the least.

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:51 AM #111 of 131
I agree, nothing to be excited over. I hope Nintendo puts on a good show. Looking forward to another TP trailer.

FELIPE NO

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:52 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 02:52 AM #112 of 131
I don't think so. Sony's mentality is about giving developers a wider palette of paints and a larger canvas. I think both Nintendo and Sony are advancing the industry towards developers doing things they previously couldn't, just in different ways (Sony's ripping of the Wii remote excluded :doh: ).

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:52 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 03:52 AM #113 of 131
Guys, I think I'm gonna go to bed right now, dreaming about all the great Multiplayer games and gameplay mechanics we'll all be able to experience in groups.

Wow. I'll be praying that Nintendo makes good tomorrow!

Double Post:
Alright, that was gay.

Most amazing jew boots
Skëtch's DVD Collection!

Last edited by SketchTheArtist; May 9, 2006 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:56 AM #114 of 131
I'll be at a business meeting starting at 9:00 EST... *sigh*

I really hope I can get back here by 12:30... Or at the very least, 1:00 so I can see SOME of the events unfold.

Anyway, viva la revolution. Tomorrow is gonna be a good day!

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:02 AM #115 of 131
Originally Posted by sprouticus

Anyway, viva la revolution. Tomorrow is gonna be a good day!
Yeah I can't wait. I'll be able to catch some of the conference at school, but won't be able to post anything here! I'll be itching till I get home! Damn is it exciting in here or what though?

BurningRanger
...was there

Member 4377

Level 19.38

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:12 AM #116 of 131
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Well not everything for the cube was accepted either, dude. The shoulder trigger click was used in only a few games.
In fact... I can't actually think of any games that did. I never even knew that was a feature, i always just thought it was a confirmation that you were pushing the trigger all the way (I could never tell with an xbox controller...)

People aren't go "well I was GOING to get a Blu-ray/DVD/game player for $500, but I think I'll get a Wii instead since it costs less".
No, they aren't going that way, because a very small niche of people is going "I'm going to spend 500 on a hi-def movie player" at all. In my hometown of 30,000 citizens, I would be surprised if 100 of them even knew about the existence of Blu-ray or HD-DVD. the other 29,900, when being told about it, would reply with "Why should I spend 500 on another DVD player, my movies look fine the way they are?"

Also, money might be worth a lot less now, but people (especially parents and other nontechnical types who will be forced to buy PS3s) are still going to remember the last time they bought a playstation and think "wow, this didn't cost me 600 dollars last time, why should I buy this?"

At the risk of getting offtopic though... the speaker-in-remote plan is a horrible idea. The speaker will have to be small, like a Gameboy/DS speaker, and thus any sound produced would be highpitched and tinny. Which would kill the illusion of immersion created by my 5.1 sound system when i have gun sounds coming out of my hand that sound like they are from a $5 kids' toy.

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:38 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 02:38 PM #117 of 131
Oh yeah, some random thoughts in my mind... perhaps Nintendo taking advantage of Sony's walkman brand that appears anywhere with W. That's why the name of the console become Wii, it really reminds me of Sony's walkman really. and not to mention, the additional "ii" make it sounds more digital like iPod.

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:23 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 03:23 AM #118 of 131
At the risk of getting offtopic though... the speaker-in-remote plan is a horrible idea. The speaker will have to be small, like a Gameboy/DS speaker, and thus any sound produced would be highpitched and tinny. Which would kill the illusion of immersion created by my 5.1 sound system when i have gun sounds coming out of my hand that sound like they are from a $5 kids' toy.
I'm hoping that it will at least be good enough to make sounds like gunshots or lightsabers fairly accurately. It doesn't have to be super strong, but it would seem pretty pointless if it only made sounds that seem like they were ripped from an NES game.

In other news, Sega has announced an exclusive Sonic game for the Wii. From the sound of it, the "next gen" Sonic the Hedgehog that was already shown will only be on the PS3/Xbox 360, while Wii gets it's own Sonic game.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (May 9, 2006) - SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced Sonic Wild Fire (working title) exclusively for the Wii™. Developed by SEGA Studios, Sonic Wild Fire stars the Blue dude with the 'tude on his first solo adventure since the original Sonic The Hedgehog™ in 1991. This intense and exciting action game takes advantage of the innovative Wii™ controller as Sonic combines his trademark high-speed action with easy to play controls to offer a brand new experience!

Sonic's new adventure unfolds from a storybook of the classic tale, Arabian Nights, the last several pages from the book have gone missing, and it's up to Sonic to re-create the story. The vibrant environments provide for a refreshingly new look to the franchise filled with brightly colored mosaic tiles, glistening oases, swaying palm trees, and crumbling stone columns. Sonic activates specific areas in the prismatic environment to pull off new tricks and stunts, in addition to interacting head-on with various obstacles by jumping, dodging, and dashing.

"Sonic Wild Fire and the innovative Wii controller changes the way gamers play interactive entertainment," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of SEGA of America, Inc. "SEGA is excited to lead the gameplay revolution through its support of Wii with a Sonic release built exclusively for this new system."

Gamers will use the Wii controller to steer Sonic and experience an untapped freedom in gameplay and control. Hold the controller horizontally with two hands and tilt left and right to steer Sonic on different paths and maneuver deftly from obstacles and enemies. Continue to tilt and fling forward to dash-attack ground and air enemies and to break down barriers. In addition to the main game is an array of unique controller-focused mini-games which make Sonic Wild Fire fun to play alone or as a multiplayer game with friends. Get ready for a refreshing adventure that puts you on the forefront of gaming!

Sonic Wild Fire will be dashing to Wii's everywhere in 2007. For more information on SEGA's Road to E3 2006, please visit the official E3 page at www.sega.com/e3. For screenshots and artwork, please visit the SEGA FTP site at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.
Honestly, it sounds pretty silly. "Sonic's new adventure unfolds from a storybook of the classic tale, Arabian Nights, the last several pages from the book have gone missing, and it's up to Sonic to re-create the story."...huh? That sounds like a plot for a really bad episode of Dora the Explorer. And holding the controller sideways to maneuver left and right? So you'd just use the controller to slide back and forth as you follow a railed path? That sounds like a Mario Party minigame more than a section of a Sonic game. Yeesh, I actually like the direction he's taking in the Xbox 360/PS3 game better.

Well, I guess we'll have to see some gameplay videos, I'm hoping they were just referring to the minigames and such when they were talking about those "innovative" uses for the Wii controller. And they said that you can look at screens from the game on their FTP, but I don't see any sign of it.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:44 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 06:44 PM #119 of 131
Could it really be true? A Sonic game that JUST HAS SONIC? It's like some kind of weird miracle. Waiting for Sega to announce twenty seven new sidekicks.

NBA JAM.

FELIPE NO
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:49 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 07:49 PM #120 of 131
For reasons why Sony's "motion sensor" won't work, head over to the wonderful (sarcasm) guys at IGN:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Though most of what they say is quite true. How could you hold a controller and be able to swing it? People complaining about having to move with a Wiimote won't have to scapegoat it anymore.

Old May 9, 2006, 03:54 AM #121 of 131
Exclamation A Reminder

Hey guys I have created the thread for the Nintendo Press Conference. I will close this thread an hour or so before the conference starts and then unsticky and reopen the Nintendo Press Conference thread. So go ahead and subscribe to the Nintendo Press Conference thread early if you want to. I'm just getting it ready now so I don't have to do a sudden rush job like I did for the Sony Press Conference thread.

Anyway, just a heads up for you guys. Go here to view/subscribe/lick/whatever it:

CLICK!

Continue on with your discussion in the meantime.
Heh, looks like IGN's Matt was right about there being an exclusive Sonic game for Wii all along. =)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:58 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 03:58 AM #122 of 131
Originally Posted by chaofan
For reasons why Sony's "motion sensor" won't work, head over to the wonderful (sarcasm) guys at IGN:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Though most of what they say is quite true. How could you hold a controller and be able to swing it? People complaining about having to move with a Wiimote won't have to scapegoat it anymore.
How does that say anything about the motion sensor not working? It just describes how the controller works and compares to the Wii controller. In fact they point out specific examples where the PS3's tilt sensitivity would work the same as the Wii controller. Also I don't think you actually have to *move* the PS3 controller, it just responds to tilt. Swinging it would be pointless.

They have similarities, but the Wii controller actually senses movement in 3d space whereas the PS3 controller senses tilt. Both will work for some things, while other things would require the full motion detection of the Wii controller.

Edit: wow, is it almost time for Nintendo's conference already? Maybe I should stay up for it anyway. Oh, and I'm absolutely terrible with time zones...what time does it start in Central Standard Time?

Old May 9, 2006, 04:00 AM #123 of 131
About an hour before EST so that should be 11:30 AM CST if I'm not mistaken.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 04:24 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 08:24 PM #124 of 131
How does that say anything about the motion sensor not working? It just describes how the controller works and compares to the Wii controller. In fact they point out specific examples where the PS3's tilt sensitivity would work the same as the Wii controller. Also I don't think you actually have to *move* the PS3 controller, it just responds to tilt. Swinging it would be pointless.

They have similarities, but the Wii controller actually senses movement in 3d space whereas the PS3 controller senses tilt. Both will work for some things, while other things would require the full motion detection of the Wii controller.

Edit: wow, is it almost time for Nintendo's conference already? Maybe I should stay up for it anyway. Oh, and I'm absolutely terrible with time zones...what time does it start in Central Standard Time?
I didn't say won't work as in disfunctional, I'm saying it as compared to Wii, the tilt function of the PS3 controller is rather superfluous. Didn't need to sacrifice many things just to make a tilt-able controller (which'll probably come off as a secondary thing) such as the rumble.

DOUBLE POST: To keep to the thread though, here;s hoping a revival of Kid Icarus or a brand new IP altogether.

Last edited by chaofan; May 9, 2006 at 04:27 AM.
devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 04:40 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:40 AM #125 of 131
Rumor has it that the Wii controller has a speaker in it which will make sounds like if you fire a gun or connect with a sword.
Who long will this pads batteries last? 2 hours?
Internal circuitry + motion sensor + wireless transmition + rumble + speaker + nunchuku (or WTF it's called) internal circuitry + nunchuku accelerometer
I would be amazed if it lasted 2 hours that it...

Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
Price is being pointed as being 249$US at launch. Also, the Virtual Console games are set to cost a few dollars for NES games, 5$ for SNES games and 10$ for N64.
$249 ?!? That almost how much a XBox 360 costs and I would laugh if MS will reduced the price just to nag Nintendo

No game I have use it... it's one of those things that look awsome in the paper but when it comes to real life usage it's useless. Just try to think as a game dev and see how hard it to make use of both the pressure trigger and the digital trigger without messing with each other.

Honestly, it sounds pretty silly. "Sonic's new adventure unfolds from a storybook of the classic tale, Arabian Nights, the last several pages from the book have gone missing, and it's up to Sonic to re-create the story."...huh? That sounds like a plot for a really bad episode of Dora the Explorer. And holding the controller sideways to maneuver left and right? So you'd just use the controller to slide back and forth as you follow a railed path? That sounds like a Mario Party minigame more than a section of a Sonic game. Yeesh, I actually like the direction he's taking in the Xbox 360/PS3 game better.
I laugh at those who discart a Sonic game because of it's story, it's a Sonic game, not FF! All it needs is good level design and if it was up to me the next Sonic game story would be: Press start screen -> Level loading screen -> Start running

Now if you are talking about control Sonic is one of the (nearly 99,99%) of the games I play that makes no sense to control with the Wii-mote... to me this Wii pad is just a markthing gimmie that won't last long, it's kinda like reinventing the spoon, but what do I know, I've been wrong both times when I said that Dreamcast and Gamecube would blow Sony and MS.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Pre-E3 Wii thread